Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/1392215522050248711

Yankees trying SUPER hard to not have to play the Rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1392183266443239424

would be so funny if they shared the raiders stadium

Move to the Raider's Stadium, demand selfish renovations that completely trash it and turn it into a toilet bowl. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Don't the A's threaten to leave Oakland all the time?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What about El Paso/ Juarez? Huge metro area and no competition.

lol

no

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Didn't the Giants block a lot of the good proposed sites as well

There was a pretty concrete plan to relocate the A's to San Jose, but that is official Giants territory and they refused to sceede it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hot swap the Athletics with the Aviators. Bing bong so simple

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1392218156198940675

All of them were vaccinated? Huh

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Slimy Hog posted:

Don't the A's threaten to leave Oakland all the time?

Every team that is negotiating public funding for a new arena deal with a local government threatens to leave. Some would say the art of extorting politicians for public dollars against the threat of a beloved franchise leaving town forever is the real business of professional sports.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I understand it vaccinations are not 100% effective in 100% of people, which is why herd immunity is important. People who are vaccination can also still carry the disease but may be asymptomatic. We've been told again and again that just because you get vaccinated you shouldn't stop taking precautions.

I would think this would possibly call into question the MLB policy of reducing restrictions once teams pass the 85% vaccination threshold. But I'm talking out of my rear end.

3B Coach Phil Nevin has been confirmed as a "breakthrough positive", someone who has tested posted more than 14 days after being vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/snyyankees/status/1392224481905725442

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Moderna and Pfizer are both ~97% effective at preventing hospitalizations from COVID complications, J&J something like 94%, IIRC. So yeah you can still get it and it can still lay you out, but for the vast majority the vaccine will spare you the absolute worst of it.

And hey speaking of COVID:

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1392215454744150020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

https://twitter.com/ByJamesWagner/status/1392226364359643142

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Don't worry Heyman made a separate tweet "clarifying" that "5 coaches" is actually just one coach.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaveKaval/status/1392194183574687744?s=20

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

"A Message to Our Fans"

*starts the letter "A's Fan"*

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sharknado slashfic posted:

So I was looking at players the Orioles might draft and according to Henry Davis' wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Davis_(baseball)

I guess I'll take it if he can hit but I'd rather have a player without the baggage

I'm sorry what the gently caress?

e: nevermind I looked up the revision history and it was just a weirdo trolling his wiki entry, the citations were just to scouting stuff

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 11, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

There was a pretty concrete plan to relocate the A's to San Jose, but that is official Giants territory and they refused to sceede it.
It is in fact only “official Giants territory” conditionally under the agreement the A’s signed in the 90’s to allow the Giants to move to San Jose in order to get out of Candlestick. It is absurd that the Giants objection to the A’s moving to SJ was upheld by anyone.

There is no other two-team market in MLB where the metro is split and one team is given “ownership” over a certain part of the market.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

bawfuls posted:

It is in fact only “official Giants territory” conditionally under the agreement the A’s signed in the 90’s to allow the Giants to move to San Jose in order to get out of Candlestick. It is absurd that the Giants objection to the A’s moving to SJ was upheld by anyone.

There is no other two-team market in MLB where the metro is split and one team is given “ownership” over a certain part of the market.

Under what conditions can the A's claim that territory back or dissolve the agreement?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Imasalmon posted:

Under what conditions can the A's claim that territory back or dissolve the agreement?
I’ve got no idea, if you go back an read stuff from that time it sure sounds like the whole thing was just the A’s agreeing the Giants can move to San Jose (to give them leverage when trying to extract stadium funding from SF)

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

more falafel please posted:

The biggest problem with Mexico City is that it would make Coors look like a normal ballpark.

Ok good point. Maybe Monterrey, but that’s still pretty high. Montreal getting their team back would be hype, but it’d be neat to see MLB start expanding into the rest of the continent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's cool that when Mike Brosseau is out of baseball in like 3 weeks he can tell his grandkids that he owned the Yankees.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
One of these years the Yankees will actually finish under .500 and mcmagic will literally die of apoplexy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

It's more or less just a non-compete promise the A's invented that MLB makes them adhere to since Haas agreed to implement it. But since both Haas and Lurie are gone it's figured into the franchise values. Of course at that time the A's had an owner who could afford to build in SF. The sad reality for "Oakland forever" type fans is that the A's have spent twenty of the past thirty years trying to get out.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 12, 2021

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Move the A's to Sacramento so we can have a team that isn't utter dogshit for the first time in two decades

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Kaiser banked $2B just in Q1-2021 they should buy the A's and build a stadium in like Pleasanton or something with 50,000 parking spots. :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Patrick Mazeika now has two walk off game winning RBI in his first four MLB plate appearances.

He has not gotten his first MLB hit.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Patrick Mazeika now has two walk off game winning RBI in his first four MLB plate appearances.

He has not gotten his first MLB hit.

Errors or walk-off walks or something else?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

mcmagic posted:

It's cool that when Mike Brosseau is out of baseball in like 3 weeks he can tell his grandkids that he owned the Yankees.

How’d the game go

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

Errors or walk-off walks or something else?

Fielder's Choices. He's also got an RBI on a bases loaded walk, so 3 RBI, 0 hits.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Fielder's Choices. He's also got an RBI on a bases loaded walk, so 3 RBI, 0 hits.
Ah, fielders choice! I knew I was missing something

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm so mad they have to follow up the homestand where things looked like they may be turning around with a series in Tampa where nothing good has ever happened.

Did you not see Touchdown Tom get ring number 7?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That would be kind of a long haul for road trips though, right?

What about El Paso/ Juarez? Huge metro area and no competition.

I don't see Vegas, though. I could be wrong (I usually am) but with as tight as MLBs butthole is about gambling I don't think they'd go for it.

Move to Montreal and revive the Expos.

I mean we blew up city hall for a Triple A team so we're clearly desperate enough

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Sydin posted:

Moderna and Pfizer are both ~97% effective at preventing hospitalizations from COVID complications, J&J something like 94%, IIRC. So yeah you can still get it and it can still lay you out, but for the vast majority the vaccine will spare you the absolute worst of it.

This loving sucks so much.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I know most teams don't typically need new stadiums, but the As absolutely do. The O.Co is a literal poo poo hole

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

Myers left in the third inning after testing positive, and Hosmer in the seventh for contact tracing. What the gently caress are they doing?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Myers left in the third inning after testing positive, and Hosmer in the seventh for contact tracing. What the gently caress are they doing?

Good grief, THAT'S why Myers got pulled? Replacing Wil's and Eric's bats is going to be tough.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

why the gently caress are they letting players with tests in progress play

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen a catcher as bad at framing as Kurt Suzuki is. There were so many borderline pitches in the Astros series where he could have easily given the pitcher a strike, but he would consistently move the ball away from the center of the zone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yankees twitter is talking about Trevor Story and LOL that isn't happening.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Kirios posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a catcher as bad at framing as Kurt Suzuki is. There were so many borderline pitches in the Astros series where he could have easily given the pitcher a strike, but he would consistently move the ball away from the center of the zone.

He's terrible. The amount of pitches that get by him or the strikes he takes away is unbelievable. The Angels current catcher situation sucks with some injuries or else he should have been gone weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
America's team keeps on delivering!

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1392547968767733762

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 12, 2021