Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

TBF, that irradiated nutritional goo is a lot better than a lot of what's in my record collection, but that's just my record collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

like, I know the answer is "their poo poo was completely ruined by contractual nonsense through the seventies to the point that one of them killed himself" but how the gently caress did no one who had the rights for at least five seconds think "drat, badfinger had like four or five huge hits, why not press a quickie greatest hits platter and get what we can while we can"

because there is no "best of badfinger" until like literally the 90s, I have just discovered

so getting "no matter what," "day after day," and "come and get it" in seventies pressings takes three albums

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Darthemed posted:

$40 for a new LP? How about that much for a 7" single?

Normally I'd insult anyone who spends $40 on a 7" and make them feel small.

This is the exception.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

like, I know the answer is "their poo poo was completely ruined by contractual nonsense through the seventies to the point that one of them killed himself" but how the gently caress did no one who had the rights for at least five seconds think "drat, badfinger had like four or five huge hits, why not press a quickie greatest hits platter and get what we can while we can"

because there is no "best of badfinger" until like literally the 90s, I have just discovered

so getting "no matter what," "day after day," and "come and get it" in seventies pressings takes three albums

Is the the Concert For Bangladesh movie that badfinger are in briefly and seem sort of pathetic? Just upstaged by every single other performer there?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Is the the Concert For Bangladesh movie that badfinger are in briefly and seem sort of pathetic? Just upstaged by every single other performer there?

possibly, I haven't seen it

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

possibly, I haven't seen it

It’s good. The Harrison stuff is great, Dylan is good, and I remember badfinger wearing matching suits and looking really small in the middle of Madison square garden.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

When you share the bill with Bob Dylan and half of the Beatles you don't have much choice in that respect.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

hexwren posted:

You'd think they'd put one out then just so they could have an ORIGINAL "WITHOUT YOU" sticker on the packaging and sold off the popularity of Harry Nilsson. That would have been at least a couple of piles of bucks by itself.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

When you share the bill with Bob Dylan and half of the Beatles you don't have much choice in that respect.

And clapton and I think there was some other big name. I remember feeling bad for them the same way you feel bad for Donovan in Don’t Look Back. Harrison’s set rules though, I might listen to that today.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just rummaged around my favorite store for three hours for the first time in over a year and now have the best record in my collection:

There were other things, but gently caress 'em.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Haha that kicks rear end.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Just rummaged around my favorite store for three hours for the first time in over a year and now have the best record in my collection:

There were other things, but gently caress 'em.

Home taping is killing music!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Normally I'd insult anyone who spends $40 on a 7" and make them feel small.

This is the exception.
Yeah, Cha-La Head-Cha-La is a loving banger

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Home taping is killing music!
You can't home tape on a bitchin' Medusa picture disc, though. :colbert:

Oh poo poo wait, Medusa is a... Rock Goddess. :monocle:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Apparently the airplane with my latest order has been over the ocean for 5 days now.

You gotta land sometime!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

Apparently the airplane with my latest order has been over the ocean for 5 days now.

You gotta land sometime!

I think that was the scrapped plot of Speed 3. Keanu parachutes out of the plane at the end with your record.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://boxset.dischord.com/

Hell yes

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

poo poo, I want that... I'll have to wait till next week. Payday purchase.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Why is it called Dischord 200? Where does the 200 come from?

That does look cool though, and reasonably priced!!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BigFactory posted:

Why is it called Dischord 200? Where does the 200 come from?

That does look cool though, and reasonably priced!!

It’s release #200

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

lament.cfg posted:

It’s release #200

Well that makes sense

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
-reasonably priced
-available
-something i actually want to buy

pick 2: the hobby

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dischord rules.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Toe Rag posted:

Dischord rules.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Just nabbed the light up deluxe boxset of Rick and Morty, I hope it has Get Schwifty on there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a Craigslist casual encounter with a dude this weekend to go through the records he’s selling. I have no idea what to expect at this point. Every time I tell him what I’m into he comes back with stuff like “so how do you feel about Poco?” Anyways, if I don’t come back I love you all.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Samsquamsch posted:

Just nabbed the light up deluxe boxset of Rick and Morty, I hope it has Get Schwifty on there.

It is.

Before they released an official OST a few years ago, I made a custom soundtrack that included a ton of stuff from the show including a lot of songs that didn't make the official OST, probably for licensing reasons (RIP DMX). I tried mixing in elements from the show to give it kind of a seamless presentation. I once posted it at a :filez: place and got probated for a week because they thought I was trolling them by pretending to leak the season 3 premiere early. Anyways that's my story thanks for reading.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

I have a Craigslist casual encounter with a dude this weekend to go through the records he’s selling. I have no idea what to expect at this point. Every time I tell him what I’m into he comes back with stuff like “so how do you feel about Poco?” Anyways, if I don’t come back I love you all.

find some Sparks records.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

He doesn’t have any of those, but he has Savoy Brown.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Did he ask if you're interested in paying in ways that aren't money?

dorium posted:

A few days ago I went to a record store for the first time since last year and they had a copy of Kimono My House right on the wall after I'd just bought a copy from a German discogs seller. They also had No. 1 in Heaven, which was another one I'd already got online, and Whomp That Sucker which I didn't have so I bought it. They were all priced fairly and this was the second time in at least ten years I found Sparks records in the wild. As of now I have these:

Sparks s/t
Kimono My House
Propganda
Indiscreet
The Big Beat (skip this one, it sucks)
Introducing Sparks
No. 1 In Heaven
Angst in My Pants
Whomp That Sucker
In Outer Space
A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

sporklift posted:

It is Bandcamp Friday my dudes.

I snagged this one. Some psychedelic cumbia stuff. They are a local band I have seen a few times. Pretty mindblowing live. At one show
Esperanza Spalding jumped up on stage and played bass on a song which was cool.

https://savila.bandcamp.com/album/mayahuel

edit: and this one from the same label as Mdou Moctar

https://lesfillesdeillighadad.bandcamp.com/album/eghass-malan

Way late, but wanted to point out that there's an African guitar music thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912478&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
This looks neat and is actually reasonably priced!

https://polyvinylrecords.com/product/summer_singles_2010_2020

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Way late, but wanted to point out that there's an African guitar music thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912478&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Whoah what a good thread

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phish is starting a new series of vinyl live releases, prices are actually not horrible at $19 an album.

https://drygoods.phish.com/product/PH350COMBO/lp-on-lp-01-02-vinyl

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

the prices aren't horrible, but the music sure is :dadjoke:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Phish is starting a new series of vinyl live releases, prices are actually not horrible at $19 an album.

https://drygoods.phish.com/product/PH350COMBO/lp-on-lp-01-02-vinyl

That seems like a good price until you realize that you have to get seven discs just to listen to one complete song.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

CPL593H posted:

That seems like a good price until you realize that you have to get seven discs just to listen to one complete song.
I thought you were kidding, but each album is essentially a single.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'll admit I like those guys, but I like them for weird, quirky songs, not sonic journeys

a single piece of vinyl for a single track, even if it is a mind-bending experience, isn't gonna do me much good if I'm not humming the tune when it's done

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If I track my Cardiacs record through the UK postal service, it says it's touched down in San Francisco. Buuuuuuuuuuut if I look it up on the USPS site it says it's in New York. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

I'll admit I like those guys, but I like them for weird, quirky songs, not sonic journeys

a single piece of vinyl for a single track, even if it is a mind-bending experience, isn't gonna do me much good if I'm not humming the tune when it's done

Im exactly with you but that ruby waves is a good listen. It doesn’t stay in one place for very long.