Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

CCKeane posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Specifically, "sitting back while a big slap fight is happening?"

I think this was when sandwolf and dy. were having their big D1 slapfight right? My last game scum sat back while several other slapfights happened and this let them fly under the radar. I was just commenting on how it could be happening this game too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Rereading the end of Day 1 / start of Day 2, these are the Great Mysteries that I am thinking about:

- What the hell happened at the end of the day with the hammer?
- Why did the scum choose binus? There is a lot to WIFOM there.
- How does Mr Steak get away with posting like he does? Everyone seems to acknowledge that it's a scummy way to play, but just says "oh lol that's just Mr Steak." I legit want to know how you guys ever expect to execute him in a game where he is scum.
- What is the deal with Stumpalong?
- Why does SalTheBard have like literally one game-related post that isn't him explaining why he's not posting or promising to post more?

I'm gonna try to prod at this stuff in separate posts in a bit.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

So re: hammertime. This happened in very short order:

merk posted:

##vote solus

Mr. Steak posted:

##vote solus

i hammer

Steak supposedly has :airquote: reasons for the hammer, so let's leave him out of this for now, his reasons I am less interested in anyway and I think his posting speaks for itself.

merk I guess has a bit of a history to support the Solus vote. Was that just you jumping off of Keane to avoid a no-execution? Why didn't you try harder to get people to swing to Keane?

merk posted:

Solus not coming back today at all is scummy thinking about it further.

merk posted:

You can't shoot your shot, not really explain it, and then do nothing the rest of the day. I could see scum buddies telling Solus to stop posting to see where the day goes. That is definitely the smartest move as scum after taking that shot.

Hal - the only mention I see of Solus from you is a post where you are defending his shot. What's the deal? Can you explain the mentality behind your switch?

Hal Insandenza posted:

I think I am fine with Solus shooting there, his explanation for the target was meh but not super scummy, I get the joke randomness of it all.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

CCKeane posted:

Why dy. Now? You made a big post about other posters, has anything strengthened or weakened your thoughts on dy.?

I didn't like dy's night that much, although I sorta get parts of it. Like given steaks handling, steak has hidden information (or is trying to appear to have hidden information) that is greatly influencing his decisions and should not be revealed to town. So, it is possible that steak is a town role who should not share his details, dy not wanting too much discussion is right in that case. Thing is that there is also a ton of reasons steak could have done that with 0 information and that would be fine to share, and one of the secret ones is being scum, so I felt like it would have been at least useful to get an explanation Day 2 which dy didn't even want during the night, it was all just "oh don't share information guys"

I don't need anything further from steak at this time, mind, because steak has functionally claimed that he has key hidden information and thus is either a relevant role or scum, but that didn't fully happen until today

Also I guess steak and I probably see it differently but from the way that I think, the move only makes sense if steak is scum or if steak isn't actually a strong role and is just gambiting heavily

dy. posted:

- Why does SalTheBard have like literally one game-related post that isn't him explaining why he's not posting or promising to post more?

Sal hasn't even cast a vote yet, so I sure hope that happens today

dy. posted:

Hal - the only mention I see of Solus from you is a post where you are defending his shot. What's the deal? Can you explain the mentality behind your switch?

I will be real: I am constantly forgetting that Hal is a player in this game and not a mod

Would not want to see Hal sent to lurker court though, Sal I would but only if Sal continues to be a non-factor today

In any case...

dy. posted:

Steak supposedly has :airquote: reasons for the hammer, so let's leave him out of this for now, his reasons I am less interested in anyway and I think his posting speaks for itself.

It really seems like you have very consistently thought Steak was scum, from Day 1 through to today. Do you have any insight, then, as to why you were SO against steak being pressured, not just during the night but also during the following day? Do you want us to just vote him and not pressure him? I do hope you realize that that isn't actually a better option if he's town

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

steak has barely posted at all since the spotlight left him

but we can’t even tell if that’s scummy because 3/4ths of this game don’t seem interested in playing

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

dy. posted:

Mr. Steak is still my #1 for today. Very comfortable with where my vote is. I don't really have the time and energy to make a real case, right now and I don't even know what I would point to, but I'm really surprised no one else seems to notice his posting. It seems incoherent and like scum just constantly hopping around. I'm not willing to dismiss that based on meta yet.

dy. posted:

I have not been quiet about the fact that I think Mr. Steak's general posting is scummy as hell.

dy. posted:

Coming from a place of giving Steak the benefit of the doubt here: you are not thinking this through enough.

dy. posted:

Unfortunately, something potentially role-related is happening with Mr. Steak and I want to be cautious about forcing him to reveal anything that could hint at role information right now. I think you should be too, and maybe like, understand that there are reasons to conceal information as town.

dy. posted:

- How does Mr Steak get away with posting like he does? Everyone seems to acknowledge that it's a scummy way to play, but just says "oh lol that's just Mr Steak." I legit want to know how you guys ever expect to execute him in a game where he is scum.

dy. posted:

What is this progression

"Steak is clearly scum"
"HOLD ON, WE MUSTN'T PUSH TOWN STEAK!"
"Steak is scum and that is self-evident, psssshht how do you clowns ever expect to find scum"

idk maybe by pushing steak??????

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I see dy's posting around steak very similar to many vets who are playing with steak for the first time. I used to think that players interacting with steak like this are searching for low hanging fruit, but dy's interactions seem very candid and on the up and up about it. Not looking for the easy execution so much as just flabbergasted that this could possibly be the way a town player plays and that people let him get away with it.

I disagree with what dy is saying, but I feel a town vibe from the way he's saying it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I felt like I had a handle on the game yesterday, but I can't remember for the life of me who I thought was scummy outside of Solus.

I think it was SNG, but I feel ok about them now, I need to look back at my Grandithoughts and see if I agree with myself.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

##vote Solus
I've softened on SNG, OA is the other option here.

Oh, yeah, it was OA, I could slide that direction again. Even though I questioned it at the beginning of the day. Don't blame me, I'm still is a post-vaxx haze. No major side-effects just tired as hell for the past two days.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Steak is likely scum here, though, Grandi. Which makes dy. seem even more town to me.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My streak of "Start mafia game, real world disaster happens" continues for this game. I have reached out to Voodoo to replace me or pull me from the game. I'm sorry.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I'm looking for a replacement for SalTheBard. Work blew up after the game started for him and he has kindly let me know he needs to bow out.

If I don't find a replacement before the end of D2 I'll do one of those live lurker free executions (someone should privately message me a good way to do that).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Holy hell I need to do some work in this game. I apologize.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Somber is replacing Sal

If for any reason postcount or anything else lurker related affects anything in this game, Somber/Sal is basically going to be off limits until I say otherwise, and ignored.

For illustration purposes only, if Somber/Sal was the lowest postcount player, now we would just look at the next lowest postcount player as the lowest, and the 3rd lowest is now the second, etc.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

##absorb SalTheBard

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Somber is replacing Sal

If for any reason postcount or anything else lurker related affects anything in this game, Somber/Sal is basically going to be off limits until I say otherwise, and ignored.

For illustration purposes only, if Somber/Sal was the lowest postcount player, now we would just look at the next lowest postcount player as the lowest, and the 3rd lowest is now the second, etc.

Oh oops

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

Steak is likely scum here, though, Grandi. Which makes dy. seem even more town to me.

I don't think I agree with that notion Sandwolf. I think steak is town here. I agree with you on the dy part though.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Lol Hum. Got any other tricks for us?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I can declare exterminatus but only on one specific player

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I don’t have it in me to read day 1 before I posted. What was the case on Solus? That he claimed to be a vig? So you all voted him?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hi I'm playing now ##vote steak steak seemed like obvious scum from when I was reading this game yesterday because I was bored and didn't want to do homework. Sandwolf is town.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Humalong posted:

##absorb SalTheBard

He tastes like Somber and you spit him back out.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Grandicap posted:

I don't think I agree with that notion Sandwolf. I think steak is town here. I agree with you on the dy part though.

Alright Grandi, you’re doing the thing where you argue lots of people are town but when it comes time to find scum you sorta shrug and give up.

How do you find steak as town here? I know reading steak is hard, but usually town steak wants to find scum and wants to have a bit of fun on the way. This feels like steak doesn’t care at all who the scum are and he appears to be far more *calculating.*

So give me an argument he’s town.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Somberbrero posted:

Hi I'm playing now ##vote steak steak seemed like obvious scum from when I was reading this game yesterday because I was bored and didn't want to do homework. Sandwolf is town.

gently caress yes welcome to the game Somber

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

:catstare:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The Solus lunch was REALLY bad.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Humalong posted:

I don’t have it in me to read day 1 before I posted. What was the case on Solus? That he claimed to be a vig? So you all voted him?

It went like this: Solus shoots with an RNG excuse (this isn’t townie), we spend a lot of the day arguing about the merits of his lunch, it finally appears as if Keane or OA might get pushed around deadline and then BOOM suddenly no one wanted to push elsewhere

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Somberbrero posted:

Hi somber can you please explain your complete lack of posting and lurking until day 2? ty in advance

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

sandnavyguy posted:

Teaches me not to spend 5 minutes crafting a post early game

I was trying to dig into sng because their post at d2 open was bonkers and this stuck out to me. Weird to talk about 'crafting' a post. Sure sng could just ask their scum team instead of vocalizing this in thread but it still struck me as odd. Not 100% sure but I would vote sng.

.random
May 7, 2007

Mr. Humalong posted:

He fired a blank (not knowing it was going to be a blank) at Grandi, claimed he chose his target fully at random (which is admittedly pretty garbage, strategy-wise), then disappeared for life stuff for a while. He came back and wasn’t repentant and was fairly IDGAF. Scum liked this because it was therefore a “good” lynch since Solus wasn’t playing with the town’s best interests at heart, so even if he turned out not to be scum, it was a Good and Justifiable Lynch.

This is my slightly jaded retelling but I hope it hits the high notes.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

AT-LOW posted:

It really seems like you have very consistently thought Steak was scum, from Day 1 through to today. Do you have any insight, then, as to why you were SO against steak being pressured, not just during the night but also during the following day? Do you want us to just vote him and not pressure him? I do hope you realize that that isn't actually a better option if he's town
So I understand why you're asking this question, but the answer is pretty obvious: because, as much as I wish this were not the case, I am frequently wrong. I try to be smart enough to realize that.

Especially at this early stage, I view this game more in terms of probabilities than absolutes. I think there is a very good chance that Steak flips scum, but I also acknowledge that he could flip town. There is no worse feeling in mafia than like, railroading a player who ends up flipping cop, and I've done that a few times.

In Steak's case specifically, I just don't really see what the town gains from pushing him on his role stuff. The post history is there - he hasn't been quiet. I don't believe in pushing him because I don't think we need it right now. If things heat up on him and everyone becomes more interested in executing him, he's gonna be pushed to claim anyway, so why accelerate that process without a good reason? What would it change for you? I only see a real benefit to the scum.

Also to be honest, the more I reread this game the more cringey I'm getting about my own posts. I probably need to back off and stop telling people what to do, but I'm having a hard time because I legit don't understand why everyone here seemingly wants to give the scum freebies and it's driving me a little crazy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Ilmuche it seems like you understand a lot about the game mechanics, explain it to me. I got bored reading the op when I debated signing up.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hi dy we played together one time briefly. I am inclined to agree with at-low here, can you tell me who your top 2 scum picks are?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Mr. Humalong posted:

You can skim it and get the gist.

Solus was a firing squad vig. In his first game post, he fired a shot at Grandicap, but it didn't work (we now know based on his flip it was a legit attempt to kill). He claimed he used a rng to pick a target. He then basically stopped playing the game and only showed up later when he faced a little bit of heat (which is the main reason I voted for him).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Somberbrero posted:

Ilmuche it seems like you understand a lot about the game mechanics, explain it to me. I got bored reading the op when I debated signing up.

everyone picked 2 numbers, low single chosen number goes first. in case of a tie low second number goes first. I chose the double bad chinese number and went dead last in round 1 of the ensuing snake draft.

but all the available roles are there in the OPs! that's cool. also, we lunched P3 and scum killed P5 so I do find it a bit weird that they went high numbers as they're likely to have the best power roles? Or at least random, who had their choice of anything they want, is still here.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Hi dy we played together one time briefly. I am inclined to agree with at-low here, can you tell me who your top 2 scum picks are?
Steak is obviously one. I think I'd like to hear more from some specific players that I am hesitant to name right now before I answer further. I will get back to you on this.

In terms of town reads, I feel pretty good about Keane. Lately I am growing more confident that Sandwolf and Grandicap are town, despite earlier suspicion. But a lot still up in the air for me right now.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

Alright Grandi, you’re doing the thing where you argue lots of people are town but when it comes time to find scum you sorta shrug and give up.

How do you find steak as town here? I know reading steak is hard, but usually town steak wants to find scum and wants to have a bit of fun on the way. This feels like steak doesn’t care at all who the scum are and he appears to be far more *calculating.*

So give me an argument he’s town.

It's not a too scummy to be scum argument, it's a perspective argument. What would scum steak have to gain from so loudly doing the hammer and then loudly saying he isn't saying why he did it? Scum-steak would gain the ability to kill in relative peace because he can't be got by the gunsmith adjacent role, but that seems of limited value, especially when he is publicly shielded from it, so he isn't going to get an investigation on him that clears him like a godfather would hope for, because the person who picked that role, if any, now knows to not even attempt to investigate steak as it will give a (false?) positive result. All of this at the cost of painting a target on himself. Which a scum steak could do, with him assuming he can shed the pressure because steak, but I think it's far more likely that he is town.

And to the first point, yeah, I find I find town far more accurately than scum, and very frequently back into scum reads. I have no problem with this. We'll see if I get some up in my giddy-up and come up with a case I feel strongly about, but at the moment, it's more town reads than scum ones.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Also AT-LOW seems pretty town but I haven't quite figured him out yet.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I guess being at the very bottom I also had a good chance at getting a semi decent role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

I think there is a very good chance that Steak flips scum, but I also acknowledge that he could flip town. There is no worse feeling in mafia than like, railroading a player who ends up flipping cop, and I've done that a few times.

I legit don't understand why everyone here seemingly wants to give the scum freebies and it's driving me a little crazy.

lol