Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Sales is also a support job since they’re not making products or directly adding value but tell them that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Crackbone posted:

One of the companies I was at bought a competitor, and our CEO in spent multiple meetings on how amazing it was that their platform was in the CLOUD, and we needed to become more CLOUD centric, and they used gsuite CLOUD instead of crappy ol' Office products.

The purchased company had just dumped their app into AWS with no consideration of costs. After the first AWS bills came in, we were ordered to move the application to on-prem hardware ASAP.
After two weeks of top executives being migrated to GSuite, the company dropped it and moved everybody to Office.
"The CLOUD" never came up again in presentations.

I love how apparently nobody during a vetting process asked basic questions like "what's your OPEX?"

Or the better cloud question of, "How are my microservices going to behave when AWS Reboots an instance out from under us?". The cloud is not the place to be if your production microservices are not self-healing.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

SubnormalityStairs posted:

The problem with HR is that its primary function is to protect the company from the employees. Any purported benefits are mainly for show, and any actual benefit to employees is incidental. Very few people can balance these conflicting goals well, and even with the best of intentions most end up twisted, cynical shells of their former selves.

...Is there something you wanna talk about? I got a number to our EAP if you need to reach out.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Boiled Water posted:

I have yet to see a fully staffed, fully funded it department.

I have seen several ok departments gutted and images on a shoestring budget tho

Yeah, and in the case of large established organizations like mine they offload more and more work digitally while keeping the budgets relatively flat so the workload keeps going up in IT. People expect IT to magically support everything even when what they buy is poo poo.

We had non-IT personnel dictate a purchase for an app that is so poo poo in usability and reliability that our after hours on call personnel here in IT went from 6-10 hours of OT and 10-15 calls in an on call week to 35-60 hours of OT over 35-50 calls. That alone caused a pretty massive spike in OT budget which should be tied back to the operating costs of that app budget wise, but it does not get billed back to that project because it's just an IT expense. This thing is costing ups FAR more we actually paid for it in IT budget alone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Sales is also a support job since they’re not making products or directly adding value but tell them that.

Sales staff should be treated with the same disdain as an Amway salesperson.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Absolutely.

Sometimes our sales team wins us work by just saying yes to everything, and it's like handing us a live grenade. Someone's going to have to tell the client that everything the sales idiot promised is bullshit eventually!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I had the Sales Manager get his son to call me about a computer issue he was having.

Back story here is Sales Manager's son got a job working our front retail order desk and spent most of his time applying to other jobs.

He got a job at a large bank and left our company a month ago.

He and the Sales Manager are both calling me about computer issues he's having at his bank job lol

No way am I touching a banks computer, lose my number please.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I loving hate time clocks.

I have to use one at my current job, partly because we are a non-profit and so are very careful about tracking hours and such. Almost nobody in the organization is salaried, like maybe 3 or 4 out of 200 people or so, even though it would make more sense for a lot of jobs, including mine.

I am way less productive when I have to gently caress around with a time clock. This strange tension develops where I know I need to be on the clock in order to make money but feel like I don't want to start working on something if I need to clock out in the middle of it so just put it off further. But I also feel guilty if I'm clocked in but not doing something productive. I procrastinate about clocking in, then end up wasting time. If I could just focus on tasks instead of making sure I'm clocked in then I'd be vastly more efficient.

I've worked salaried jobs in the past, and over the course of the year my weeks probably averaged out to 40 hours, since some weeks I wouldn't put in that many and some weeks I'd put in way more, because I was adjusting to what my actual work demands were. Being stuck using a timeclock means I'm forced to obsess over my hours, and my weirdly strong work ethic collides with my general anxiety to result in way lower efficiency.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fried Watermelon posted:

I had the Sales Manager get his son to call me about a computer issue he was having.

Back story here is Sales Manager's son got a job working our front retail order desk and spent most of his time applying to other jobs.

He got a job at a large bank and left our company a month ago.

He and the Sales Manager are both calling me about computer issues he's having at his bank job lol

No way am I touching a banks computer, lose my number please.

Touch their computers at $390/hour minimum four hours

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have to use one at my current job, partly because we are a non-profit and so are very careful about tracking hours and such. Almost nobody in the organization is salaried, like maybe 3 or 4 out of 200 people or so, even though it would make more sense for a lot of jobs, including mine.

I am way less productive when I have to gently caress around with a time clock. This strange tension develops where I know I need to be on the clock in order to make money but feel like I don't want to start working on something if I need to clock out in the middle of it so just put it off further. But I also feel guilty if I'm clocked in but not doing something productive. I procrastinate about clocking in, then end up wasting time. If I could just focus on tasks instead of making sure I'm clocked in then I'd be vastly more efficient.

I've worked salaried jobs in the past, and over the course of the year my weeks probably averaged out to 40 hours, since some weeks I wouldn't put in that many and some weeks I'd put in way more, because I was adjusting to what my actual work demands were. Being stuck using a timeclock means I'm forced to obsess over my hours, and my weirdly strong work ethic collides with my general anxiety to result in way lower efficiency.
That sounds awful. Even having to track my weekly hours was vaguely annoying but some kind of chess clock thing I need to deal with in real time is vastly worse

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At least you're not salaried but still have to document your hours like I do.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

vyst posted:

Yeah I need to account for all my hours in a daily timesheet, so they can bill various clients appropriately. My current place is marginally less anal about it than the last place, but they're catching up. I've decided this is the last job I do timesheets for. I'm asking if there are timesheets in all future interviews and walking out if they say yes.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

vyst posted:

Also we get nagged/bullied about it weekly. Starting last week we get an email on Mondays listing every employee and the total hours they logged in the previous week.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Also we get nagged/bullied about it weekly. Starting last week we get an email on Mondays listing every employee and the total hours they logged in the previous week.

Lol we get a nag email but it doesn't drop a dime on your fellow employees. Thats savage.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

nexus6 posted:

What the gently caress

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

vyst posted:

Lol we get a nag email but it doesn't drop a dime on your fellow employees. Thats savage.

Why would any of your co-workers care one way or another?
If I were a manager I'd avoid that sort of thing, as it might breed solidarity.
Ideally you'd keep punishment/reproach as quiet and individual as possible, to make everyone think they were singularly awful and isolated as possible. Maximum guilt and pressure, minimum consolation and chance for people to call bullshit.

Amateur hour, basically.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I haven’t had anything to do at work for about 3 weeks now. I do maybe half an hour of work, ask if anyone needs my help, and then read a book all day unless something breaks. I keep asking to change to a team where there is work but my current team says they still need me. They sure don’t.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Atopian posted:

Why would any of your co-workers care one way or another?
If I were a manager I'd avoid that sort of thing, as it might breed solidarity.
Ideally you'd keep punishment/reproach as quiet and individual as possible, to make everyone think they were singularly awful and isolated as possible. Maximum guilt and pressure, minimum consolation and chance for people to call bullshit.

Amateur hour, basically.

Toxic environments breed cliques and petty backstabbing.

People love to shame others for the most inane and meaningless things.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

vyst posted:

The one megacorp job I had did this. They were tracking project hours, so I still had to mark down things every day. Some days I would have 3 hours of meetings that didn’t apply to any particular project so I’d just pick whichever one I wanted.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The one megacorp job I had did this. They were tracking project hours, so I still had to mark down things every day. Some days I would have 3 hours of meetings that didn’t apply to any particular project so I’d just pick whichever one I wanted.

Y'see, I get that rationale, but not every day is spent purely on project work - sometimes you get meetings all day, sometimes you get held up by other people dragging their feet. You still have to log 7.5 hours minimum every day and the "round-up blame'n'shame" email only contains totals, so clearly it's more important to have numbers that add up instead of accurate ones.

I had a job a few years ago where the boss wanted us to start doing time tracking. After a few days he called me into his office to chew me out for "being too precise" with my timings because I rounded everything to the nearest 15 minutes so each day had exactly the 7.5 hours I was contracted to do. As I left he called in my coworker to shout at him for wasting time logging little details like "30 seconds phone call".

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dear boss:
It is not Monday every goddamn day and you do not need to stop and hold up every meeting every morning trying to get specific people to laugh at "happy Monday" and repeating it until they do.
Thanks,
Everyone

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was in a company where "happy Monday" was a standard greeting and I always wanted to respond with "Same to you, pal."

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Enfys posted:

Toxic environments breed cliques and petty backstabbing.

People love to shame others for the most inane and meaningless things.

I don't doubt the truth of your words, but I am super thankful that my various workplaces - bad though they may have been - never had the majority of workers siding with management about... anything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

I was in a company where "happy Monday" was a standard greeting and I always wanted to respond with "Same to you, pal."

This is violence

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SkyeAuroline posted:

Dear boss:
It is not Monday every goddamn day and you do not need to stop and hold up every meeting every morning trying to get specific people to laugh at "happy Monday" and repeating it until they do.
Thanks,
Everyone

We have a VP who's "thing" is yelling "good morning!!" and we're expected to respond. It's not ideal.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
At I.B.M in Portsmouth, they used to task a middle manager or HR person with the task of ensuring that people used the handrails when they walked up or down the stairs.

An individual with a clipboard would stand at the top or bottom of the flight. anyone who didn't use the rail would be counselled for not complying with health and safety regs.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That sounds like the Navy lol

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sad King Billy posted:

At I.B.M in Portsmouth, they used to task a middle manager or HR person with the task of ensuring that people used the handrails when they walked up or down the stairs.

An individual with a clipboard would stand at the top or bottom of the flight. anyone who didn't use the rail would be counselled for not complying with health and safety regs.

Handrails are gross, I think I unconsciously avoid touching them in public places lol

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I don't use handrails because i'm not ancient or an idiot with 0 balance

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

You just earned yourself a counselling session for not complying with health and safety regulations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Yes let me gently caress everyone's germs as I walk upstairs

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

When I started working here almost 6 years ago, the company was owned by two brothers. Things seemed fine for a while and then issues crept in to the point where eventually they hated each other and would never even be in the same room. They had a very out in the open screaming fight in front of the building one day during break time, so literally half the employees outside at the time.

Over time, things got worse, they each had their "camps" of employees and useless as gently caress people that they protected. If you were neutral (like me) you sometimes would get put in some lovely situations. One brother asked me to spy on the wife of the other brother, because she's on payroll as sales but "works from home". To be fair, she literally doesn't do anything and probably gets paid more than me, but that's none of my business so I just told him it wasn't possible.

This past fall, one brother bought the other out and is now the sole owner. This is totally fine with me, I had no loyalty to either. However, the brother that got bought out is the one who hired me, and when I accepted a job at a difference place a few years ago went above and beyond to keep me here, including adding me to a profit sharing bucket above most of what other managers got, to the point that I made over 10k on it last year. When he was bought out, all profit sharing went away and we haven't heard a word about it.

The positive:

Owner looked at the profit sharing, decided it was unfair, and restructured it so that any employee tenured over 2 years now gets a share, and then it depends on what level of employee you are (employee, manager, etc) and your pay rate.

So yes, this is going to mean I definitely lose money. But I got to tell me employees that they're all qualified and it will be on their upcoming check this Friday, so that's cool with me.

We're going from roughly 10 people to like 42 people in the group, but at least it gives people some feeling like they have a stake in things.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Remember that whole "one ancient workstation with worn out hardware that will eventually fail on us, that is the linchpin of our whole database process and losing it to a hardware failure means our processing times go from seconds or minutes to hours" deal?

Guess what hardware failed today

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Remember that whole "one ancient workstation with worn out hardware that will eventually fail on us, that is the linchpin of our whole database process and losing it to a hardware failure means our processing times go from seconds or minutes to hours" deal?

Sorry brother. Stay strong.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sorry the shitter is clogged.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Diametunim posted:

Sorry brother. Stay strong.

It'll be fine, nothing critical priority today and at least it's a component that can be replaced pretty painlessly. Just yet another reminder we have no feasible backup plan in place for when something more expensive or less replaceable goes.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

:unsmigghh:

Edit:

SkyeAuroline posted:

It'll be fine, nothing critical priority today and at least it's a component that can be replaced pretty painlessly. Just yet another reminder we have no feasible backup plan in place for when something more expensive or less replaceable goes.

Oh, phew! Good thing this wake-up call happened BEFORE the main event to scare management into action! :shepicide:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should sell someone on the need for disaster recovery drills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hardware cant fail it can only be failed. ah wait im thinking of capitalism