Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I actually had to read FDC NOTAM's for the entire Pacific Northwest recently.

We had an airplane in Montana where both FMS's had an issue that rendered them unusable, so the obvious solution is to MEL them and just use VOR's and airways to navigate to Seattle.

Unfortunately, the Seattle VOR was out of service, and since the ILS approaches use that for the missed, a mix of opspecs and FAR's meant that there wasn't a legal way to dispatch the flight to Seattle, so we figured we'd try Portland.

That plan was foiled by some of the VOR's we needed to use being listed as "unmonitored" and/or out of service, and we actually tried to see if we could use NDB's to fill the gaps to one of the airports, but there weren't enough of those to make that viable.

Since we couldn't come up with a way to dispatch a part 121 flight entirely VFR, we had to cancel the flight and fly in parts to fix at least one FMS in order to get the airplane somewhere maintenance could get it completely fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

azflyboy posted:

We had an airplane in Montana where both FMS's had an issue that rendered them unusable, so the obvious solution is to MEL them and just use VOR's and airways to navigate to Seattle.

Unfortunately, the Seattle VOR was out of service, and since the ILS approaches use that for the missed, a mix of opspecs and FAR's meant that there wasn't a legal way to dispatch the flight to Seattle, so we figured we'd try Portland.

That plan was foiled by some of the VOR's we needed to use being listed as "unmonitored" and/or out of service, and we actually tried to see if we could use NDB's to fill the gaps to one of the airports, but there weren't enough of those to make that viable.

Since we couldn't come up with a way to dispatch a part 121 flight entirely VFR, we had to cancel the flight and fly in parts to fix at least one FMS in order to get the airplane somewhere maintenance could get it completely fixed.

yeah at this point I would just call fatigued or sick

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

azflyboy posted:

did you know

that there is no longer 100LL fuel available at KSEA. since september 2018

did you know that

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Did you also know that if you if you're flying from Montana to KSEA that you may get shot down if you accidentally overfly Kenya? Better hope both your FMS units are working so you don't get lost!

ATTENTION U.S. OPERATORS: RECENT, CREDIBLE INFORMATION INDICATES A POTENTIAL NEAR-TERM TERRORIST ATTACK AGAINST U.S. AND WESTERN INTERESTS IN KENYA. WHILE SPECIFIC DETAILS ARE NOT AVAILABLE, ONE POSSIBLE TACTIC WOULD BE AN ATTACK USING MAN-PORTABLE AIR DEFENSE SYSTEMS (MANPADS), SUCH AS THOSE USED AGAINST AN ISRAELI AIR CARRIER DEPARTING FROM MOMBASA, KENYA ON NOVEMBER 28, 2002. THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE HAS ISSUED A TRAVEL WARNING REGARDING A POTENTIAL MANPADS THREAT.

WIE UNTIL UFN

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

There are few things I enjoy more in this career than a spiteful sick/fatigue call

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Animal posted:

The delays getting the airplane out were enough that the airline had to cancel 3 of the 4 legs we were supposed to fly that day (our only flying that day was bringing the plane to Seattle), and then cancel one of the legs the next day because we never made it to the overnight.

We got pay guaranteed for all of that flying, so I basically got paid to sit in a hotel room most of the day, fly one leg with no passengers or flight attendants, and then go to a different hotel.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Did we talk about the fact that ExpressJet is coming back?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Who will pay worse them or Breeze?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Also are they going to restore all the points I earned last time they tried this?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Flyer points for a regional?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arson Daily posted:

Last time they did branded ops, they launched a loyalty program to go with it. I think I had 80% of a free flight when they folded.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Did we talk about the fact that ExpressJet is coming back?

I'll be curious to see if they can make the business model work.

There's generally been an industry-wide shift away from 50 seat jets because they're not terribly profitable, but if ExpressJet is planning to fly routes where there's not much (or any) competition and oil stays cheap, I can see the business model working on the basis of used 50-seaters being really cheap to acquire.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Arson Daily posted:

Yeah, in the Aquafresh days. I have a friend who then a good chunk of her time with ExpressJet doing their independent flying.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Aqua....fresh?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Aqua....fresh?

RIP SureJet: 7/13/2011-7/14/2011

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

RIP SureJet: 7/13/2011-7/14/2011

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Hello thread, I passed my checkride today! :toot:

Commercial AMEL add-on.

E: I made a PPL today too! Good day.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
:woop: congrats!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Reztes posted:

Hello thread, I passed my checkride today! :toot:

Commercial AMEL add-on.

E: I made a PPL today too! Good day.

:toot:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Maybe a long-shot but does anyone have any opinions of flight schools in the Orlando area?

I'm a PPL who needs a refresher and long term I'm looking at getting my IR.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone have any guesses how long it would take to upgrade at PSA if I started with 2300 TT, 1700 Turbine and a few hundred TPIC?

Also: Are there any other regional/LLC bases in CLT other than PSA and Piedmont?

Also Also: If someone were to go atlas, how senior is ORD if they were a psycho who kinda always wanted to live in Chicago?

Backstory: My airplane is for sale and even though they're 100% sure they're getting another airplane (uh huh sure), I'm looking in case this is the kick I need to finally "just suck it up and go 121 you idiot."

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 12, 2021

Frumpy DMV Lady
Jun 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

Anyone have any guesses how long it would take to upgrade at PSA if I started with 2300 TT, 1700 Turbine and a few hundred TPIC?

Also: Are there any other regional/LLC bases in CLT other than PSA and Piedmont?

Also Also: If someone were to go atlas, how senior is ORD if they were a psycho who kinda always wanted to live in Chicago?

Backstory: My airplane is for sale and even though they're 100% sure they're getting another airplane (uh huh sure), I'm looking in case this is the kick I need to finally "just suck it up and go 121 you idiot."

It would be quite a while to upgrade at PSA. When COVID hit the company furloughed 733/2000 pilots and downgraded about 280 (myself included) to re-balance the list. When they brought everyone back after the bail-out they re-upgraded about 180 and have been slowly allowing a few more upgrades per month. I'm a summer 2018 hire and have well over 100 pilots between me and the most junior captain, with a lot of FO's senior to him bypassing for whatever reason. By the time you get a class date and get into the system there will be a ton of eager FO's ahead of you who would like to give the left seat a go. You could hold CLT as an FO relatively quickly but as a captain its a different story.

As for CLT airlines its PSA, PDT and Allegiant. With your resume I'd look at skipping the regionals but I realize the hiring market is pretty wild right now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Frumpy DMV Lady posted:

It would be quite a while to upgrade at PSA. When COVID hit the company furloughed 733/2000 pilots and downgraded about 280 (myself included) to re-balance the list. When they brought everyone back after the bail-out they re-upgraded about 180 and have been slowly allowing a few more upgrades per month. I'm a summer 2018 hire and have well over 100 pilots between me and the most junior captain, with a lot of FO's senior to him bypassing for whatever reason. By the time you get a class date and get into the system there will be a ton of eager FO's ahead of you who would like to give the left seat a go. You could hold CLT as an FO relatively quickly but as a captain its a different story.

As for CLT airlines its PSA, PDT and Allegiant. With your resume I'd look at skipping the regionals but I realize the hiring market is pretty wild right now.

No Allegiant in CLT :(

They had plans for a JQF base that got scrapped due to COVID. Sucks because I'm already in the hiring pool and they've been telling me they want me in one of the upcoming classes.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/icao-updates-effort-to-clean-up-notam-garbage/

Hey looks like someone heard our bitching about the terrible notam system

Frumpy DMV Lady
Jun 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

No Allegiant in CLT :(

They had plans for a JQF base that got scrapped due to COVID. Sucks because I'm already in the hiring pool and they've been telling me they want me in one of the upcoming classes.

Oh man that sucks. Is AVL still open? If you have an open offer at Allegiant I'd say you'd be crazy to turn it down and come here or PDT. I'm kicking myself everyday for not taking a Spirit job instead of coming here for the PIC time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Frumpy DMV Lady posted:

Oh man that sucks. Is AVL still open? If you have an open offer at Allegiant I'd say you'd be crazy to turn it down and come here or PDT. I'm kicking myself everyday for not taking a Spirit job instead of coming here for the PIC time.

My only gripe is the bases. AVL would be my pick to the point that I'd want to move there and commute until I could hold it but I don't if I'd be an idiot for trying.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

Flight experience has zero impact on upgrade time, unless the company runs out of qualified FOs to upgrade which happened a few years ago at Envoy. If you want to be a career 121 CLT pilot you want to end up at AA which is a really drat hard gig to get if you're not a ENY/PSA/PDT flow through or a military pilot. With covid making an already unpredictable industry even more so going to a regional for flow when you have a job lined up at Allegiant seems like a risky bet to me. Of course if you did you could join myself and Frumpy DMV lady as the third goon to wait out a career setback in the right seat of the same CRJs.

For what it's worth AA is predicting hiring to resume towards the end of the year which should get the regional seniority lists moving again. Frumpy probably knows more about that though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Real talk apply to Atlas.

DM me if you want to go into detail.

e:
cliff notes version: I can almost promise you you’ll be home more and work less even compared to living in base with a regional

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 12, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can I just ask how commutable atlas is? If it’s complicated or I think of a million more questions I’ll buy plat so I can pm.

I mean I’ve been here like 15 years I probably should just buy plat.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Can I just ask how commutable atlas is? If it’s complicated or I think of a million more questions I’ll buy plat so I can pm.

I mean I’ve been here like 15 years I probably should just buy plat.

they’ll buy you a plane ticket and a hotel room to go wherever they need you to be. even if you live all the way out in Hawaii.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ll also add to that, 13 hard days off a month minimum, with plenty of lines that have 14 or 15 off

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So if I wanted a flying gig where I commute out, work some kind of rotation then get 4+ days off in between, that would work?

Big issue with allegiant is that they’re all separate day trips so commuting is next to impossible.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

So if I wanted a flying gig where I commute out, work some kind of rotation then get 4+ days off in between, that would work?

Big issue with allegiant is that they’re all separate day trips so commuting is next to impossible.

Yes, you usually get at least 6 days off in a row. You work a long stretch then are off for a long stretch. When I can, I like to bid to get most or all of my days off at the end of the month and then connect that to all my next month’s days off, for a total of 20+ days off in a row.

We should have a new contract before the end of the year, we are in the middle of arbitration. It’s not a perfect place to work for but I sure as poo poo would never go back to a regional, and Allegiant is only good if you live on base.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Atlas is more or less week on week off or two on two off.

My last 3 patterns were 9 days with 6 off in between, I’m on a 13 day off block now and going to roll into another 9 day chunk at the end of next week. I spend my trips riding my dumb bike through the European countryside and eating copious amounts of food. I rarely fly more than one leg a day, and never more than two. Sometimes I sleep in the back for half of the leg because it’s a long flight.

With use of a handful of saved up sick days and vacation days I’ll have June off.

Yes, June, like the whole month. I do it every year it’s my birthday present to myself. Sick days cap out at 26, and they’re use or lose, so I use them. :colbert:

For contrast let me tell you about my time at the regionals while i was building enough time to get hired here, with 11 days off a month, 3-4 days on and 2-3 day off in between, 3-5 leg days, commuting on both ends and maybe getting one whole day at home a week, and spending my overnights in places as wonderful as Devils Lake North Dakota, or Gillette Wyoming.

To be clear Atlas isn’t for everyone and is definitely not without its problems but if you fit the mold it’s p great (and coming from private GA stuff i’m going to assume the shoe is probably gonna fit a lot better than typical 121 stuff) and shits hard on any kind of regional life.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 12, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m one bad announcement away from being 135 again and gently caress that forever. I love the idea of building time on longer legs again, I’m so sick of these all day TEB trips with 3 total hours to show for it. Plus holy poo poo seeing new places again?

Guess I’ll apply tomorrow. Can I use this thread as a reference?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

I’m one bad announcement away from being 135 again and gently caress that forever. I love the idea of building time on longer legs again, I’m so sick of these all day TEB trips with 3 total hours to show for it. Plus holy poo poo seeing new places again?

Guess I’ll apply tomorrow. Can I use this thread as a reference?

If you can somehow make it out to the west coast and fly a clapped out 172 with me I’d be happy to vouch as long as you’re not a butthole.

e:
DoN’T gO tO AtLaS yOu’LL rEgReT iT

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNN4i6GBAZC/?igshid=1vwttteaykhgh

https://www.instagram.com/p/COQT3OcBbqT/?igshid=ed4ybkot3bkc

https://www.instagram.com/p/COQT3OcBbqT/?igshid=ed4ybkot3bkc

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHwPpB3hCxM/?igshid=tzgvoy7d70pj

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 12, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Haha I appreciate it and that sounds amazing. I should be good though, not being a butthole and working for FlightSafety has helped me pick up a good network of references.

How’s the equipment? I may be a bit spoiled flying with dual FMS and glass for the last 6 years.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
pretty much all dual fms and glass

Now that most if not all of the DHL -200s are gone the entire fleet is pretty good these days.

A good chunk of the 76s are even CPDLC now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well dang this is sounding like something I should have done the last time you told me to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Well dang this is sounding like something I should have done the last time you told me to do it.

:hmmyes: