Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The Knits also look great.

Shrapnig could not be more wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The shoes look cool, but I spend way too much time in mud and water to wear them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

The Knits also look great.

Shrapnig could not be more wrong.

I actually think they're horrific, it would appear that golf footwear is a land of contrast.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I went from beat-up adiboost sneakers to Nike golf air max 90s this year. It took two driving range sessions for my feet and swing to get used to them. I think the platform was a few millimetres higher than the adidas pair, so when I first swung with them, I kept topping the ball until I made a few more adjustments.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
There's also this option:
https://govrnwear.com/

You can send him a pair of shoes and he'll swap the soles for you to make them golf shoes. He's done some really cool work.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

There's also this option:
https://govrnwear.com/

You can send him a pair of shoes and he'll swap the soles for you to make them golf shoes. He's done some really cool work.

I have a pair of Jordan 5 golf shoes that I wore for the first time this week and a random kid that ended up playing with me and thought I had put the spikes in myself but I'm not against the Pat Perez route of turning street shoes into golf shoes.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Anyone else experience this? That is, hurrying because everyone else is slow?

Playing with a two ball and another single. They are bad golfers, which only effects me in that I play better when my group has golfers better than me, otherwise, I only care if it has etiquette or pace problems. Today, pace problems. As we fell more and more behind the group in front, and we're pressed more from behind, I found myself rushing everything to try to pull these guys along. Nothing. It was killing my game, and I finally just said gently caress it on the back 9 and made myself play my normal pace.

Not playing ready golf, all three going to the farthest ball out and waiting for him to play before moving to the next shooter. Never, ever picking up. One guy shot an 11, a 12 and a 10. Took the same time over every shot every time. Leave green, return club covers, clean clubs if necessary, write score, drive to tee box. Jesus, you have to wait on the tee box to shoot anyway, do that poo poo there.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yes, my brother in law is the absolute worst at this. He’s just a slow person in general but he really annoyed the poo poo out of me the other day when we were playing a scramble and we’d have a ball in the middle of the fairway so he’d decide he was going to try to hit one 350 over the trees. He did this on 3 separate holes. Every single time he’d blast it 2 fairways to the right and then he’d spend a ton of time trying to find his ball while we’re ready to hit our 2nd shot. By the end of the round a 5-some of members had caught up to us even though there was no one behind us for an hour when we teed off. He drives me crazy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

Yes, my brother in law is the absolute worst at this. He’s just a slow person in general but he really annoyed the poo poo out of me the other day when we were playing a scramble and we’d have a ball in the middle of the fairway so he’d decide he was going to try to hit one 350 over the trees. He did this on 3 separate holes. Every single time he’d blast it 2 fairways to the right and then he’d spend a ton of time trying to find his ball while we’re ready to hit our 2nd shot. By the end of the round a 5-some of members had caught up to us even though there was no one behind us for an hour when we teed off. He drives me crazy.

The big hitter of the group asked me about the hole on each tee, then hit driver as hard as he could every time, no matter what. He was the one with three double digit holes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

then hit driver as hard as he could every time, no matter what.

I am seen

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

torgeaux posted:

Not playing ready golf, all three going to the farthest ball out and waiting for him to play before moving to the next shooter. Never, ever picking up. One guy shot an 11, a 12 and a 10. Took the same time over every shot every time. Leave green, return club covers, clean clubs if necessary, write score, drive to tee box. Jesus, you have to wait on the tee box to shoot anyway, do that poo poo there.

In my experience this is a completely normal reaction because your aware of pace of play and know how it can suck the fun out of a round for everyone on the course.

Let me tell you about the most embarrassing moment in my life (not really... but kinda). I was invited to play with the groomsmen of a wedding I was going to a couple days before the wedding. 8AM tee time on a Saturday. Started my round -2 through 4. Instead of mentally focusing on putting together a decent round it devolved quickly into me trying to do exactly what you were doing.

The 10 guys I was with only 2 were golfers tbat played more than twice a summer and all of them were only there to drink. We made it to 11 before the group behind us (rightfully) called the club house and they sent someone out. Then while I was embarrassed and apologizing to the ranger one of the guys was loudly complaining about how the group behind us were assholes. I was so embarrassed I just wanted to bury myself in a bunker lol.

I stopped keeping score before the turn but if I did i probably shot a legit 95+ I was rattled. Good for you for finding your rhythm again on the back 9.

Unrelated but I picked up a pack of mizunos golf balls on a whim and they really surprised me. $35 for a pack, I’m considering switching to them instead of buying more z stars. Anyone else try them out?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
My dad coached us always to play with urgency — probably because with three kids as his built-in foursome we were always holding people up — and now I can't *stand* playing with anyone who doesn't. I always default to ready golf and sometimes offend people I play with because of it. I sometimes also need to learn to slow down myself and take practice swings when warranted. But yeah, there's nothing that makes me madder than guys who suck in the hole in front of me who play every hole like it's the masters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"Play Ready Golf" is Hammurabi's loving code as far as I'm concerned. I could give a drat less that you card a 124 on your round if you're at least ready to hit and not taking a week to address everything.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

DJExile posted:

"Play Ready Golf" is Hammurabi's loving code as far as I'm concerned. I could give a drat less that you card a 124 on your round if you're at least ready to hit and not taking a week to address everything.

Yeah agreed. If you’re in an actual tournament competing against a field or something then sure, go in the proper order so guys who hit good shots can read wind/putts of the guys further out.

But if you’re just at your local course it should 100% ready golf, even if you’re competing against one other guy in your group.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Petey posted:

My dad coached us always to play with urgency — probably because with three kids as his built-in foursome we were always holding people up — and now I can't *stand* playing with anyone who doesn't. I always default to ready golf and sometimes offend people I play with because of it. I sometimes also need to learn to slow down myself and take practice swings when warranted. But yeah, there's nothing that makes me madder than guys who suck in the hole in front of me who play every hole like it's the masters.

Old dudes always want to play “with honors”, like we were ladies dancing at a medieval ball or some poo poo. Homie, you should be at the front tees to begin with, and I’m ready to tee off now. Instead, I have to wait and watch you take 5 practice swings and 3 alignment checks because you managed one par today.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have to admit, I've had the opposite issue, too. First tee time, two old golfers, me and about a 10 handicapper. The old guys insist we go ahead. I decline, because the first group cannot play too fast, it screws with the ground crew. Ten says he's going alone then, so I go with him. I played the most deliberately slow golf possible, and he still hit over guys two or three times. At the turn, the head of the crew told us to hurry a bit and get ahead of his guys because they were complaining. That was as embarrassing for me as it gets. Those guys do not need people hitting into them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have a friend who is just getting into golf, and he’s good for a beginner, but man is he slow. I’ve tried to explain pace of play to him but he just doesn’t listen. Every shot he will take 20 seconds addressing the ball, aligning his grip, setting up the club behind the ball, etc. then step back and take 2 or 3 practice swings before addressing the ball again and then hitting it.

I’ve rushed him before and it always screws him up, so I feel bad, but you can’t take that long on every shot when there’s a group waiting on you.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I feel like you gotta shame folks when they're first starting really hard, because 15 years in of playing lovely slow golf, they're never going to change.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I learned how to play fast back when I was shooting 130 because I felt so bad about everyone around me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea there’s no shame in picking up a terrible shot and dropping it up further in the fairway or something. If you’re shooting over 100 anyway who cares. Don’t ruin someone else’s day because you’re playing bad.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
And, inevitably, they are taking illegal drops and miscounting strokes anyway. Lost ball, not OB? I'll drop here (favorable location unrelated to where ball was hit) hitting three if they think they're being honest. Double par is the most you should ever do in actual strokes on the ball as a new/bad player.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do you guys use websites like GolfNow just for Hot Deals and then book normal tee times through course websites, or do you use GolfNow for everything?

A friend of mine, his family bought a course in western New York. They're thinking about partnering with GolfNow or Chronogolf. As many of you know, those websites get all the revenue from Hot Deals in exchange for visibility for the golf course. GolfNow would "cost" a couple more tee times per week than Chronogolf but it's obviously more popular. Or they could just skip those websites completely.

In terms of the course, greens fees are around $35 during the week and $45 on the weekend, if that says anything about the potential clientele.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 14, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you guys use websites like GolfNow just for Hot Deals and then book normal tee times through course websites, or do you use GolfNow for everything?

A friend of mine, his family bought a course in western New York. They're thinking about partnering with GolfNow or Chronogolf. As many of you know, those websites get all the revenue from Hot Deals in exchange for visibility for the golf course. GolfNow would "cost" a couple more tee times per week than Chronogolf but it's obviously more popular. Or they could just skip those websites completely.

In terms of the course, greens fees are around $35 during the week and $45 on the weekend, if that says anything about the potential clientele.

I use golfnow but mostly hate it and try and book thru the course as often as I can. At least around here a lot of the courses booking website just directs you to golfnow or teeoff (they are the same company now) anyways.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I use golf now and if I don’t find anything I check the other courses nearby, which aren’t on golf now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Course only booking for me.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I also only book through the courses.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I must be the only guy that looks online for available tee times then I call the course to book because I don't want to pay in advance.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I have an annual membership and I golf there 90% of the time but otherwise I book through the course. I've used Golfnow in the past and honestly...it was far better a few years ago than what it is now that they're effectively a monopoly.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

I almost never do hot deals because they are either at weird hours or at lovely places.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just shot a 78 with my partner in a scramble. And my left thumb is broken so I was playing with one hand :cheers:

Honestly the 2 rounds I’ve played one handed are the best two rounds I’ve played in my life. Which is crazy.

It just forces me to take nice easy swings every time.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I had to withdraw from a tournament today because I ripped open a callus on my hand at the rock climbing gym the other day. Even when I was driving there I was thinking "hope I don't hurt myself right before this tournament lolz"

:smith:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm currently playing the worst golf I've played in a long time and am going on a golf trip on Friday.

Hopefully a change of scenery does me good.

Playing Man O' War, Rum Pointe, and War Admiral in Ocean City, MD if anyone has ever played there.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Every golf trip I've gone on I've played a bit worse than I wanted to but a lot of the time Im just not as focused since I'm there to relax and be on vacation so concentrating on just playing and not taking in everything in around me. On a related note I'm going to pasatiempo, harding park, and possibly getting on the Stanford course in June. Hope my game is a bit improved from now by the time I end up there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My max drive is 140y, i can't hit irons worth a drat, the only club other than the driver i had much success with is the 5 hybrid that came with this set. I get the sense i'd be doing better if i had graphite clubs trying to control them one-handed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea hitting any long iron was nearly impossible for me one handed. Anything over 100 yards or so I just used my 3 wood with varying fractions of a full swing, depending on the distance. I was still money chipping and pitching around the green with my wedges though!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

RCarr posted:

Yea hitting any long iron was nearly impossible for me one handed. Anything over 100 yards or so I just used my 3 wood with varying fractions of a full swing, depending on the distance. I was still money chipping and pitching around the green with my wedges though!

Yeah, i get the sense that if i'm gonna have any chance for good scores, i'm gonna have to work on my short game and putting. I'll have to safe shoot it down the fairway and hope to hit chippys and putts where being one-handed isn't so much of a problem.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's up with that lone armed cop out on the 18th green at the Byron Nelson?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 16, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, i get the sense that if i'm gonna have any chance for good scores, i'm gonna have to work on my short game and putting. I'll have to safe shoot it down the fairway and hope to hit chippys and putts where being one-handed isn't so much of a problem.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm trying to be realistic for you on this one. I think going for a more elderly / women's set , where you have 4-5 hybrids, with senior flex graphite shafts may be the way to go for you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kirios posted:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm trying to be realistic for you on this one. I think going for a more elderly / women's set , where you have 4-5 hybrids, with senior flex graphite shafts may be the way to go for you.

I think you're probably right, honestly. The one club in my set with that kind of fit out is the one i'm most comfortable with. I'm a one-handed golfer, so i take no insult to any of those suggestions. Just got to collect the right clubs one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Double post and all, but does this seem to be a good deal for a new stand bag? Mine's getting a little sad and I like the idea of a 14 way divider on top.

https://www.costco.com/pebble-beach-stand-bag.product.100753430.html