Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

dokmo posted:

A long time ago I was sent to try to encourage a coach to shoot more threes. He said, but we don't have any shooters. By which he meant shooters like Ray Allen or Reggie Miller. I said coach those are elite shooters, once in a generation, we got plenty of normal shooters. He said those guys can get better shots inside. He literally did not see the value in an average shooter. This coach by the way, was a forward thinking innovator.

He eventually did end up shooting more threes, probably more because of threats from the owner and gm than anything I said.

Sounds like you subscribe to the "Cs Get Degrees" line of thinking

I don't know how many times I've had to argue with a boss or hiring manager that we don't have to keep holding out for straight As kids from tier 1 schools to fill mundane positions we had and will probably never fill with their standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Early in the season it did look like finally we hit a point where teams were losing games because league average shooters were shooting too many threes, but that seems to not have lasted (for everyone but Toronto?).

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

This Stockton talk made me look up one of his '89 games from his most ridiculous assist season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwjseE6KhfM

It's actually jarring how terrible this gameplay looks and how much space Stockton's defenders were consistently giving him, just 0 pressure from 20+ feet like he was Ben Simmons in the playoffs. The "great" defense of that era is such horse poo poo. I don't doubt that Stockton was really really good, but these eras really can't be compared in any fair way. NBA ball has evolved so much.

Why did the NBA pretend that they didn't use zones for years anyway? they would call an illegal defense at the start of the game, and then proceed to never call it again

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Good point, vooch
https://twitter.com/NikolaVucevic/status/1392546571116589059?s=20

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That sculptor always adds worrying vaguely-human shapes to their statues. Michael Jordan is dunking over some kind of dementor amalgamation and the Harry Caray one outside Wrigley makes it look like he's gleefully sending a bunch of babies to hell

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Zach Lowe wrote his Luke Walton All Stars column and it was guys you'd expect, Bruce Brown, Cam Payne, Yuta Watanabe, Juan Tuscano Anderson, and so on, and the last guy I swear I've never heard of, and I try and know every single guy on every team, Garrison Matthews.

Anyone ever heard of this guy?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Was pleasantly surprised to see Malik Monk in there, though I’ll be happy to go one season without getting some kind of “I had to grow up but I am now mature starting now” quote from him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Zach Lowe wrote his Luke Walton All Stars column and it was guys you'd expect, Bruce Brown, Cam Payne, Yuta Watanabe, Juan Tuscano Anderson, and so on, and the last guy I swear I've never heard of, and I try and know every single guy on every team, Garrison Matthews.

I remember him in college (not by name but definitely remember The Really Good Lipscomb Guy) but didn't realize he was in the NBA.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 12, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

i tried to look him up on basketball reference but you misspelled his last name so i couldn't. Trap sprung I guess t:mad:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kingcobweb posted:

i tried to look him up on basketball reference but you misspelled his last name so i couldn't. Trap sprung I guess t:mad:

My bad, I also wonder if anyone here has even heard of Lipscomb university, maybe excluding nickrowe

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I absolutely watched him play good basketball within the last week because the announcer was like "Wow who's this Garrison Mathews????" but I already forgot what team it was for and who it was against. I've watched a lot of games the last week.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

My bad, I also wonder if anyone here has even heard of Lipscomb university, maybe excluding nickrowe

My wife got her masters from Lipscomb

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
he plays for the Wizards, been watching them lately

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

jackofarcades posted:

he plays for the Wizards, been watching them lately

Oh yeah! It was the Russ recordbreaker.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
lmao this thread of perimeter players that have gone off on the Pels this season is hilarious:

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1392573558942015488?s=20

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Only because the basketball team has been good recently. Could not tell you where it is though I'm assuming Tennessee now

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I've heard of Lipscomb because of NCAA College Hoops 2005.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1392580803629039627?s=19

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Poque posted:

That sculptor always adds worrying vaguely-human shapes to their statues. Michael Jordan is dunking over some kind of dementor amalgamation and the Harry Caray one outside Wrigley makes it look like he's gleefully sending a bunch of babies to hell

MJJ literally dunked on a fully open arc of the covenant and platoon of Nazis

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bip Roberts posted:

MJJ literally dunked on a fully open arc of the covenant and platoon of Nazis

well they kept his mustache off the statue so I suppose that's ok

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

how bout that Wiggins

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Paperback Writer posted:

how bout that Wiggins

Nice to see him with a 40 point game in May instead of April for a change

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1392593134345879554?s=19

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
some interesting data nerd poo poo: https://thef5.substack.com/p/youd-complain-too

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

hee hee heeeeeeeee

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1392600351518380040

love it. nice that he gets a chance to coach some blake and andre-less teams.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Dang the Spurs were pretty close.

Six Blazers scored 19+ points in this game:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198311220POR.html

Ammanas posted:

hee hee heeeeeeeee

Magic Johnson recounts all the assists he got in one game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpenULIboxM

Think Less posted:

Why the gently caress would the NBA cover up Aubrey Mcclendon's death lmao?

The BOG Brotherhood defending one of its own from prison.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Rockets have lost an incredible 43 of their last 48 games...Tilman Fertitta Says He’s Excited
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/05/tilman-fertitta-says-hes-excited-about-rockets-future.html

The Pistons are pulling off possibly one of the all-time great tank jobs in NBA history
https://sports.yahoo.com/the-pistons-are-pulling-off-possibly-one-of-the-all-time-great-tank-jobs-in-nba-history-152230786.html

Poque posted:

Definitely agree, it just comes up cuz people point out Stockton's assist record as untouchable because people love to :actually: records whenever they're broken

John Stockton's career assist and steal numbers are so high that a player would need 50,000 points and 22,000 rebounds to match it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LeBron said fire him; I talk to Evan Wasch, NBA executive responsible for the play-in tournament
https://sports.yahoo.com/le-bron-said-fire-him-i-talk-to-evan-wasch-nba-executive-responsible-for-the-play-in-tournament-074522721.html

Timberwolves Sale Negotiations Continue Beyond 30-Day Window
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/05/timberwolves-sale-negotiations-continue-beyond-30-day-window.html

AAU Player Hansel Emmanuel Is Taking His Game To New Heights Despite Missing Arm
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/05/09/hansel-emmanuel-taking-game-new-heights-missing-arm/

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

While we're lucky we tanked during the covid season, this does seem like a woefully optimistic piece. I love the new guys but they are much more likely to end up as rotation players on another team then stay on the Pistons.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

NBA clearly trying to suppress the new biune golden age of centers that is upon us.

Poque posted:

It's only disrespectful in that it was a reaction to a completely different record. Like when the response to "Russ broke the triple double record!"

It is too bad Wilt died over twenty years back and is not here to fight the erasure. He had nearly 350 TDs. RW is barely halfway there!

Crazy Ted posted:

Today Years Old when I realized this, but 186-184 and the teams combined for 2 three-pointers jeezus

With league ORtg increasing every year lately we'll see if any of these scoring records get broken.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Poque posted:

I have to post a picture of that Harry Caray statue for people who've never seen it, because it is honestly extremely difficult to exaggerate how insane and creepy it is. I have no idea what is broken in that sculptor's brain, but he should probably not be trusted around sharp objects or human beings.

They're just writhing out of the ether under him, like Botlzmann brains that spawned in a state of agony. WHY ARE THEY THERE AT ALL??

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Vinestalk posted:

While we're lucky we tanked during the covid season, this does seem like a woefully optimistic piece. I love the new guys but they are much more likely to end up as rotation players on another team then stay on the Pistons.

how do the team vibes look at this point? you still got some vets like ellington and plumdog, but i imagine roster flushes can be pretty rough, especially on all the super young guys they have.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Yoshi Wins posted:

I have to post a picture of that Harry Caray statue for people who've never seen it, because it is honestly extremely difficult to exaggerate how insane and creepy it is. I have no idea what is broken in that sculptor's brain, but he should probably not be trusted around sharp objects or human beings.

They're just writhing out of the ether under him, like Botlzmann brains that spawned in a state of agony. WHY ARE THEY THERE AT ALL??

Who are those faces in pain supposed to be?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/SmithRaps/status/1392587479258177542

drat the Rockford homies won't be able to see VanVleet

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lakers' LeBron James won't return from his ankle injury against Houston
https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-le-bron-james-wont-return-against-houston-210615194.html

IF the Grizzlies and Spurs displace the Lakers and the Warriors in the playoffs one has to wonder if the play-in tournament will be vilified.

Poque posted:

:laffo:

Yoshi Wins posted:

It's even worse when fans have draped the statue in goat carcasses at times.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Who are those faces in pain supposed to be?

The demons that helped hoist him out of hell

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Katana_Warrior posted:

how do the team vibes look at this point? you still got some vets like ellington and plumdog, but i imagine roster flushes can be pretty rough, especially on all the super young guys they have.

Honestly, excluding the game against Minnesota, they're hungry and all in. Plumlee is just happy to be playing I think. Ellington isn't hitting his previous highs with the pistons but he's also a little bit older and there are less players around that take up the defense's attention. Grant is probably only staying for his current contract. The young guys are all about it though, which I think is part of the reason why the Nets game against Blake was such an edgy game. I think the end of the season will continue to be similar to the Minnesota game sadly, but what else can you expect from people at the bottom who previously only know how to win?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Zogo posted:

IF the Grizzlies and Spurs displace the Lakers and the Warriors in the playoffs one has to wonder if the play-in tournament will be vilified.

itll be loving awesome and im all in one play-in viewing. you a fool if you miss that poo poo

vilify it all you want playoff chaos rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vinestalk posted:

Do you mean the the 4 2020 draft pick young guys or do you mean hamadu diallo Josh Jackson etc?

Because I can see another team signing hamadu this offseason and Josh Jackson might be going just because it's pretty clear that at best he's a bench gunner and he's really not that great at that.