Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Affi posted:

Am I missing something? How is being woke a bad thing?

It feels like a white person writing what a woke minority should be. Just to clarify, i only find it strange because all those name drops and references of Ambers wokeness ends up being juxtaposed to Doc Sizmics wokeness intentionally or unintentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm seeing people give amber a pass for acting the way she does cause she's a teenager, but wouldn't a more appropriate teenager reaction be "HOLY poo poo, MY BOYFRIEND'S A GODDAMNED SUPERHERO :dance: " ?

In a world where superheroes are extremely common? Maybe?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doc Seismic felt like a Venture Bros villain.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm seeing people give amber a pass for acting the way she does cause she's a teenager, but wouldn't a more appropriate teenager reaction be "HOLY poo poo, MY BOYFRIEND'S A GODDAMNED SUPERHERO :dance: " ?

But they're everywhere though. If they were new and just showing up like Marvel, DC and The CW likes to present it, that'd probably work but there's at least one or two teenage superhero teams out there now so eh. Stop making promises and blowing them by 3 hours you jackass. Just don't agree in the first place if you can't keep the commitment!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RareAcumen posted:

But they're everywhere though. If they were new and just showing up like Marvel, DC and The CW likes to present it, that'd probably work but there's at least one or two teenage superhero teams out there now so eh. Stop making promises and blowing them by 3 hours you jackass. Just don't agree in the first place if you can't keep the commitment!

The one that gets me is when he doesn't show up to the soup kitchen because he agreed to go fight Machine Head after school. Just do it a different night! There are seven days in a week you dumb prick!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Mr Interweb posted:

And why wouldn't Shinji just get in the drat robot? Robots are super cool!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stev posted:

The one that gets me is when he doesn't show up to the soup kitchen because he agreed to go fight Machine Head after school. Just do it a different night! There are seven days in a week you dumb prick!

The pretty consistent message through the season was how dumb this "Chosen One" is like being unable to schedule a date properly.

Of course that's a minor flaw compared to trying to punch outside his weight class.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

You would expect someone who volunteers in a soup kitchen to be compassionate and empathetic. She is not very compassionate or empathetic toward Mark's situation

:psyduck:

Dumping your boyfriend makes you a lazy liberal?? what?

Mr Interweb posted:

Teenagers are not a monolith so there would be many reactions depending upon the teenager :v:

This is a really reductive way of looking at character writing.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
People aren't obligated to date or like someone for being a superhero and doing heroic deeds, I don't know what the gently caress is going on in this thread with people complaining about Amber not being some super leftist infinite compassion extremist terrorist or something. She's a teen, she's a pretty cool teen, she's not your ideal rebel genius waifu, just a normal teen. Instead of looking at her for who she is you're trying to make her someone she's not and complaining she's not that person.

I did find the teenage drama kinda tiring though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Morrow posted:

I think the show has been consistent in showing that Mark was wrong about keeping secrets from her and that there are consequences for doing so.

Where it falls short is she's a side character and is somewhat inconsistent internally. She's mad at Mark for different reasons, until she's not mad at him because she watched him get beat up on TV.

The absolute worst part of the season. Just a complete :wtf: moment

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cubivore posted:

I did find the teenage drama kinda tiring though.

The episodes are best when it involves at least one set piece beat down like the plot twist in the pilot episode or Invincible getting taken the woodshed in Episode 5.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is it possible seeing mark's dad hitting him recontextualized her view of his selfishness? I mean I dunno about learning and growing and changing in any capacity all everything static and unchanging as the smooth open ocean.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They probably should have had Amber break up with Mark earlier in the season if they were going to have them get back together at the end. As is, it feels kinda pointless.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Casnorf posted:

Is it possible seeing mark's dad hitting him recontextualized her view of his selfishness? I mean I dunno about learning and growing and changing in any capacity all everything static and unchanging as the smooth open ocean.

Or it could just be really bad writing. The show isn't immune from that. See also: the really stupid Deb / costume plotline.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or it could just be really bad writing. The show isn't immune from that. See also: the really stupid Deb / costume plotline.

Both things they invented for the show that didn't appear in the comics. It's like game of thrones all over again

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What was wrong with the costume thing?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah the stuff that was tweaked for the show to be more impactful was good. The stuff that was invented completely for the show generally started off promising, but then everything had to end up exactly in the same place to hit future story beats, so none of them were allowed to change anything fundamental. It was basically like having an anime filler arc as a continuing subplot in the background or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Didn't William call Mark out on his bullshit as well? Why aren't people calling him an rear end in a top hat like they are Amber

hmm yes i wonder whyy

To be fair the narrative follows Mark, it's easier to see his perspective/sympathize with him and his reasoning.

It's hard not to feel like Amber wasn't being a bit unreasonable, particularly given she knew for awhile, when the campus was being attacked, she could have just been like "hey Mark, just go do the Invincible thing" rather then letting him hesitate. Just as much as you can see Mark being irresponsible in not just giving it up for the sake of doing what he needs to.

But yeah, they're teens.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or it could just be really bad writing.

I wonder how you tell them apart?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

stev posted:

What was wrong with the costume thing?

It was just really dumb. I'm glad Deb had something to do, but Nolan had no reason to keep the old costume around. Also he hid it really badly.

Think Nolan think!

e: also the loving CSI costume maker lmao

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The thing about the ending with Amber (minor comic book spoiler with no specifics) is that there's like 2 plot points coming up that need Amber and Mark to be together to work

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was just really dumb. I'm glad Deb had something to do, but Nolan had no reason to keep the old costume around. Also he hid it really badly.

Think Nolan think!

Fair enough. I liked the moments between the costume guy and Nolan though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

stev posted:

Fair enough. I liked the moments between the costume guy and Nolan though.

:same: The scene where Nolan has a drink with the costume guy was good.

Just to clarify: I mean the part where he does the CSI analysis poo poo on the costume and explains to Deb how Nolan had to kill the guardians. That was extremely stupid. Worse is that it means that either Cecil didn't do any testing on the costume(meaning he's incompetent which would be out of character for him) or he just kept up the facade and pretending not to know if Nolan really did kill the Guardians this whole time for reasons. Even in private when talking to Daniels.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:same: The scene where Nolan has a drink with the costume guy was good.

Just to clarify: I mean the part where he does the CSI analysis poo poo on the costume and explains to Deb how Nolan had to kill the guardians. That was extremely stupid. Worse is that it means that either Cecil didn't do any testing on the costume(meaning he's incompetent which would be out of character for him) or he just kept up the facade and pretending not to know if Nolan really did kill the Guardians this whole time for reasons. Even in private when talking to Daniels.

I figured Cecil pretty much knew from the get-go and to admit otherwise would mean starting a war with OM before he's ready.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I figured Cecil pretty much knew from the get-go and to admit otherwise would mean starting a war with OM before he's ready.

That doesn't really fit with his actions as he kept trying to find proof as to what happened. Also if he knew, there's no reason to keep up the investigation which risks getting caught and exposing it like when Nolan saw the surveillance next door which pretty much blew the whole thing wide open. Or to try and get Nolan off planet in ep4.

I'll just assume that they needed a way for Deb to find out for sure and it was 4:51 on a Friday in the writer's room so they threw the costume maker scene together and clocked out.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Dear Lord people are really weird about Amber.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The costume subplot was bad but I don’t think Art having advanced technology to scrutinize fabric is so off. He’s not a normal tailor, he makes stuff for superheros. He probably has to work with super dense fiber that’s close to indestructible and a bunch of other weird materials.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ccs posted:

The costume subplot was bad but I don’t think Art having advanced technology to scrutinize fabric is so off. He’s not a normal tailor, he makes stuff for superheros. He probably has to work with super dense fiber that’s close to indestructible and a bunch of other weird materials.

Yeah you'd think analyzing costume damage to design improvements is his whole MO.

My problem is I can't not hear Mark Hamill.

Which for some reason takes me out more than recognizing JK Simmons.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

can someone explain why it was okay for amber to be mad at mark for not telling her his secret, even though she was yelling at him for running away when the humanoid thing on the college campus attacked?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Think Nolan think!

yeah this is a good point i didn't even think of. unless i missed the part why nolan explains why he kept the costume?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nolan underestimating Debbie was an intentional thing, I think. He did not ever in 1,000,000 years think she wouldn't be as loyal as a labrador.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

can someone explain why it was okay for amber to be mad at mark for not telling her his secret, even though she was yelling at him for running away when the humanoid thing on the college campus attacked?

Uh, why is that not okay?

I'm honestly having a hard time even understanding why you think those things are conflicted.

"Don't be a coward and abandon your friends" and "Don't lie to me" are perfectly compatible stances. And that's going beyond the fact that human beings are often irrational, but that's not even irrational, that's reasonable.

Yes, you can come back and say "Well, I only lied to help people!" but that's not true. He could also tell her and still save people. Or he could not date her in the first place.

The only real conflicted part I have is that he was actually going to tell her, until Atom Eve warned him that maybe that's not a great idea. Giving them more screen time to have the conversation where they both explain how they feel would be nice but the show is more focused on the Omni-man plot.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 13, 2021

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, why is that not okay?

I'm honestly having a hard time even understanding why you think those things are conflicted.

"Don't be a coward and abandon your friends"

but...but he didn't. that's the point. and if she knew his secret, then she knows he didn't abandon them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

but...but he didn't. that's the point. and if she knew his secret, then she knows he didn't abandon them.

...at the time she didn't know the secret? And now she does she's mad at him for lying? Its not like she can go back in time and change how she reacted...

I guess you're saying that because she says "I KNOW!" that means she knew all along? I interpreted it as she figured it out sometime between the college trip and then, possibly because of the college trip.
I don't think she knew when they started dating, but at some point put 2 and 2 together.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

...at the time she didn't know the secret? And now she does she's mad at him for lying? Its not like she can go back in time and change how she reacted...

She said she has known he's been a hero for months. Now she doesn't say she knows he's Invincible, but it probably isn't hard to piece together when Mark runs off from the loving murder cyborg and then Invincible shows up.

e: And that just paints her in an even worse light when she breaks up with him because he missed his last chance at the soup kitchen. If she didn't know he's a hero, he broke up with someone because they got hit by a loving bus. If she did know, she broke up with him because he got really badly injured(presumably saving people) and was in the hospital for a week.

Really the relationship stuff was really poorly executed. "Being teenagers" only goes so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 13, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She said she has known he's been a hero for months. Now she doesn't say she knows he's Invincible, but it probably isn't hard to piece together when Mark runs off from the loving murder cyborg and then Invincible shows up.

The show has been playing pretty fast and loose with time, many months have gone by in a few episodes. I think it can still fit?

No obviously him being Invincible is a given once she knows, chill out dude.

E: Actually I think she said "weeks ago" so that totally fits. Although I think they also just drove back from college so maybe not. IDK. But yeah she definitely says "weeks ago" not "months ago".

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 13, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

The show has been playing pretty fast and loose with time, many months have gone by in a few episodes. I think it can still fit?

No obviously him being Invincible is a given once she knows, chill out dude.

E: Actually I think she said "weeks ago" so that totally fits. Although I think they also just drove back from college so maybe not. IDK. But yeah she definitely says "weeks ago" not "months ago".

It doesn't make any sense at all. She knew he's a hero during the campus event(and probably Invincible) and still got mad at him?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Huh? When I see things like this I kinda wonder if you guys know how relationships work, or how people work. She really liked him, and she saw him nearly die on live TV. Maybe she went through a rational "he's fun to be with, but he always breaks his promises and he lies about where he's going and I can't be with him" beforehand, but people aren't robots and it doesn't mean the feelings she had for him are instantly extinguished and gone forever. "Oh my god he could have died" is going to stir up a ton of emotion, and it's not surprising that being scared to lose him might overwhelm the rational conclusion she came to the day before.

Especially since she's a teenager and she doesn't have the experience to recognize that the underlying issues are still there and will raise their head again once the shock of his near-death has worn off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It doesn't make any sense at all. She knew he's a hero during the campus event(and probably Invincible) and still got mad at him?

What?

Zaphod42 posted:

...at the time she didn't know the secret?

That's what I said.

Now, looking at the exact time tables, I'm not sure. Maybe there's not enough time for the line "weeks" to make sense, if they were only at college for a few days and then drove back... not sure how long the road trip was but it feels like maybe the writer slipped up. But I literally just said "she didn't know" so I don't know why you're doing this.

Phenotype posted:

Huh? When I see things like this I kinda wonder if you guys know how relationships work, or how people work.

This thread is being hyper nit-picky in a really weird way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He confessed to her right when they got back from the campus tour. If she knew for weeks, she knew during the attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I vote we give everyone who noticed the inconsistency in the filler B plot of the punchmans show a forums posting medal