Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Am I reading this right? Hollywood is cannibalizing itself due to lack of diversity? Amazon and Netflix are leading the charge

Edit: there are no black people I get it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Please purge all award shows

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Forceholy posted:

Nick Cannon was caught making anti-semetic remarks on Twitter last year. This is really reminiscent of that.

I think the article I read mentioned an anti-semetic book making the rounds in the rap community about how Jews were heavily connected to the slave trade.

Among other things, good old Bill Cooper has been a hip hop standard for decades

https://www.vulture.com/2018/08/how-behold-a-pale-horse-influenced-hip-hop.html

quote:

“Most people, anyone who once thought of themselves as radical in any way, knows William Cooper,” said one dapper-looking man standing under the marquee of the Apollo. “Behold a Pale Horse, we used to just call it ‘The Book.’ ” Others recalled talks given by the late Steve Cokely, an African-American independent researcher–street speaker who occasionally referenced Cooper. In the middle of a presentation on topics like Cointelpro, Cokely would pick up a copy of Behold a Pale Horse and say, “Let’s see what the white boy has to say about this.”

Still one of the most-shoplifted books in Barnes & Noble history, the popularity of Behold a Pale Horse began in prison, places like Attica, Clinton/Dannemora, Green Haven, and Sing Sing, where Cooper’s extreme paranoid view made complete sense. Besides, as Bro. Nova said, “Where else were people going to read it? Back then everyone was in jail. Or dead.”

This had the ring of truth. In 1990 and 1991, 5,077 people were murdered in New York, by far the highest two-year total in city history. It was the crack plague, and a new generation of griots arose to speak truth to the ongoing trauma of urban life. Many of the rappers who emerged during the early 1990s, the great Wu-Tangs, the formidable Nas of the Queensbridge Houses, were deeply influenced by the Five Percenters, a.k.a. the Nation of Gods and Earths. The movement had been founded in the late 1960s by Clarence Edward Smith, a.k.a. Clarence 13X, and eventually “Father Allah.” Kicked out of Elijah Muhammad’s Nation of Islam for heresy and gambling, Father Allah said it was necessary for black men and women to become “lyrical assassins.” The tongue was “the sword,” Father Allah said, and when properly sharpened, it could “take more heads with the word than any army with machine guns could ever do.”

Behold a Pale Horse posted:

The Protocols of Zion were referred to in the late 1700s. The first copy available to public scrutiny surfaced in the early 1800s. Every aspect of this plan to subjugate the world has since become reality, validating the authenticity of conspiracy.

Author’s Note: This is an exact reprint of the original text.

This has been written intentionally to deceive people. For clear understanding, the word “Zion” should be “Sion”; any reference to “Jews” should be replaced with the word “Illuminati”; and the word “goyim” should be replaced with the word “cattle.”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mbracemoore/status/1391753968553021448

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/helen/status/1391964084170416129?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Im glad she suffered a major trauma last year or whenever lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hey whoever it was that wanted to chat about boxing i made a general sports thread where you might have better luck finding cspam posting pals interested in the topic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/enews/status/1391795209072226306?s=19

Gigli sequel when

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Fleetwood posted:

I was wondering what David Fincher's been up to and was surprised that he had one last year, Mank. Usually his stuff gets a lot of media attention, but I literally just found out about it last week. I thought it did a tactful job of leaning left without making direct criticisms of William Randolph Hurst and right wingers

I just watched this and really liked it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/blockbustedpod/status/1392133231567323138

who will cancel the cancel culture

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he porbably should have been clearer but w/e

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the glover tweet for reference

https://mobile.twitter.com/donaldglover/status/1391996668376227840

digging how he comes up with this take when the thing hes doing right now is a beyonce riff written by obamas daughter wonder which way thats gonna swing

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
is that supposed to be nate because lmao

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
based on the time stamp and the nonsensical punctuation I can only assume that Donald glover was high as hell for that tweet

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1392478608199983104?s=21

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

the glover tweet for reference

https://mobile.twitter.com/donaldglover/status/1391996668376227840

digging how he comes up with this take when the thing hes doing right now is a beyonce riff written by obamas daughter wonder which way thats gonna swing

Isn't the fact that everything in our pop culture is so bland and predictable because that taking risks could mean less profit

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 23:57 on May 12, 2021

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

People are tripping over themselves to write articles and posts about how good the 1996 movie Twister was.

Twister is not a particularly good movie. I distinctly remember that it was heralded as being pretty "meh" when it came out.

I think it goes to show just how much the pop culture landscape has degraded when a middling 90's action flick with some pretty cardboard cutout characters is looked back upon with the same fondness we have for a home baked apple pie from our childhood. Which we forget was just a warmed over fast food apple fritter that mom threw in the microwave. But at least that beats a literal picture of an apple pie, which is all we ever seem to get these days.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Pop culture is at such a dead end they're probably gonna reboot Twister with John Krasinski or something

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Disgusting

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pop culture is at such a dead end they're probably gonna reboot Twister with John Krasinski or something

Oh no it's the F5 and it's coming straight for us!! *Jim face to the camera*

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

sitchensis posted:

People are tripping over themselves to write articles and posts about how good the 1996 movie Twister was.

Twister is not a particularly good movie. I distinctly remember that it was heralded as being pretty "meh" when it came out.

I think it goes to show just how much the pop culture landscape has degraded when a middling 90's action flick with some pretty cardboard cutout characters is looked back upon with the same fondness we have for a home baked apple pie from our childhood. Which we forget was just a warmed over fast food apple fritter that mom threw in the microwave. But at least that beats a literal picture of an apple pie, which is all we ever seem to get these days.

Uh, are you implying good writer Michael Crichton didn't deliver an amazing script?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

final season of Castlevania is out and the horny levels are off the charts

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

There's that famous jaw clench and tongue sucking amphetamine fueled deadeyed stare. Never change Elon

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

sitchensis posted:

Isn't twister mostly remembered for being one of the first Hollywood blockbusters that got a dvd release? It was a showpiece for surround sound at electronics stores in the late 90s.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I remember Twister for having Bill Paxton in it and that's enough to make practically any movie watchable

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I appreciate the sentiment, but Matt “Stanky Feet” Groening was on Epstein’s pedo plane, and you can’t get any lower than that.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Twister's mostly getting talked about because it's the 25th anniversary and was a bit of a surprise hit leading into the summer blockbuster season. Also kind of a "didn't know what we had until it was gone" kind of phenomenon. Solid cast, fun story, crowd-pleasing but not pandering, etc. Plus, Bill Paxton, come on!

Tangentially, 1996 is one of the all-time stacked movie summers, and years in general. Off the top of my head, across the year:

Fargo
Twister
Mission Impossible
The Rock
Independence Day
Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Arrival (underrated imo)
Trainspotting
Brain Candy
Lone Star
Cable Guy
Kingpin
First Contact
Beavis and Butt-Head

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

I remember Twister for having Bill Paxton in it and that's enough to make practically any movie watchable

Also this

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

the best part of twister was the videos at the beginning of the ride where the director obviously told the actors to keep their hands on their hips and bill paxton put his hands on his hips so goddamn hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUEJhvz0aVU&t=209s

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Isn't the fact that everything in our pop culture is so bland and predictable because that taking risks could mean less profit

I saw some guy arguing that the new he-man isn't good because it looks like the old he-man and thus won't sell enough toys. because everything has to appeal to everyone, and fandoms can't take someone not liking their thing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In general I just think of 1996 as the quintessential year in the American interregnum, not just because it's literally the halfway point between the fall of the USSR and 9/11.

Independence Day really did quintessentially adapt the tone of Clinton-era jingoism.

I was nine at the time, I think. I just remember the Atlanta games leaving a big impression on me. (It was the Olympics... actually not delayed!) I don't blame Zoomers if they don't understand why the Olympics are perceived to be a big deal (because they really are stupid and awful), but I just remembered kid me having my mind blown that the whole world came to America to compete. (I was aware of the Olympic bombings, but I guess I was already learning to compartmentalize that story from whatever story I processed from the games in my head.) Those games had Kerri Strug and the infamous Dream Team III killing it in basketball.

In hindsight, I know the coverage within the US of the Atlanta games was just a lousy cover of the coverage of the 84 LA games, but of course kid me didn't know that. And I'm typically not a sports guy. I know this isn't the sports thread, but it was huge part of the 90s cultural zeitgeist for me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

KidDynamite posted:

I saw some guy arguing that the new he-man isn't good because it looks like the old he-man and thus won't sell enough toys. because everything has to appeal to everyone, and fandoms can't take someone not liking their thing.
trukk not munky

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLwSccWiaI

They made an Amanda Knox movie, but it's set in France and oil worker Matt Damon has to fight immigrants, soccer ultras, and the French legal system.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Echo Chamber posted:

In general I just think of 1996 as the quintessential year in the American interregnum, not just because it's literally the halfway point between the fall of the USSR and 9/11.

Independence Day really did quintessentially adapt the tone of Clinton-era jingoism.

I was nine at the time, I think. I just remember the Atlanta games leaving a big impression on me. (It was the Olympics... actually not delayed!) I don't blame Zoomers if they don't understand why the Olympics are perceived to be a big deal (because they really are stupid and awful), but I just remembered kid me having my mind blown that the whole world came to America to compete. (I was aware of the Olympic bombings, but I guess I was already learning to compartmentalize that story from whatever story I processed from the games in my head.) Those games had Kerri Strug and the infamous Dream Team III killing it in basketball.

In hindsight, I know the coverage within the US of the Atlanta games was just a lousy cover of the coverage of the 84 LA games, but of course kid me didn't know that. And I'm typically not a sports guy. I know this isn't the sports thread, but it was huge part of the 90s cultural zeitgeist for me.

2000 Olympics best Olympics m8

Straya über alles

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thatfatkid posted:

2000 Olympics best Olympics m8

Straya über alles

Why not 2008, when the modern gymnastics code of points went in after the Athens debacle

I guess 2000 was cool for all the people who helped that guy who could barely swim

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 03:51 on May 14, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bro Dad posted:

final season of Castlevania is out and the horny levels are off the charts

well this should be a sight to see. they're going to have to work awful hard to make it hornier than the last season.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

mastershakeman posted:

Why not 2008, when the modern gymnastics code of points went in after the Athens debacle

I guess 2000 was cool for all the people who helped that guy who could barely swim

Edit wait poo poo was London the first with the new code? I can't even remember this anymore

2000 is great for Australia being the first team to ever beat the US in the 4x100m freestyle.

Grant Hackett and kieren perkins breaking the wr for 1500m freestyle to win gold and silver.

Eric the eel.

Fatso the wombat.

The dream hosted by Roy and hg.

https://youtu.be/hVoQbt0sCyY

Oops almost forgot Cathy freeman winning the 400m sprint

thatfatkid has issued a correction as of 03:54 on May 14, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Grats on some home cooking I guess

Meanwhile I'm over here being mad at nemov being robbed on high bar and Paul Hamm getting America's least deserved gold medal of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
My cousins and I all grew up avid swimmers, 2000 was the high watermark of strayan dominance in the pool. Never 5get

:australia: