Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Carolina wrens are absolutely notorious for building nests in weird human places. Just from your first pic I figured that's what it was. Thanks for being a good host! If you want to give them a hand (especially in winter), dried mealworms or unsalted peanuts would be a hit.

Will wrens eat peanuts? I thought as a group they were insectivores, if not obligate insectivores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They do in my parents' backyard (and suet, and sunflower hearts, and cat food). If humans didn't exist, I don't know if they might eat all or almost all insects, but a lot of birds are a little more scavengey than they are textbook eaters.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hey anyone want an extremely okay moth.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/05/giant-wood-moth-found-queensland-australia-school

Like a pound of moth.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Anne Whateley posted:

Carolina wrens are absolutely notorious for building nests in weird human places. Just from your first pic I figured that's what it was. Thanks for being a good host! If you want to give them a hand (especially in winter), dried mealworms or unsalted peanuts would be a hit.

We'll probably encourage them to relocate but after the babies are out on their own. My car has mysteriously been getting pooped on inside the garage somehow! In the meantime I'm enjoying seeing what's going on out there. This morning Wren poppa showed up and gave the momma a snack. Then they took off together for 15 minutes or so. Seems to be about as long as the mom leaves the nest so far. I'm still not sure how they're getting in and out, but the mice do so it's possible they're using the same entrance at the corners of the door where the mice chewed holes. Maybe I'll put more cameras up to solve this mystery, but not today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asP9Ld9oFtE

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Anne Whateley posted:

My 'favorite' thing about Carolina Wrens is that every single bird guide I've ever seen has included a note on their page to the effect of 'A bird this small should not physically be capable of being this loud.'

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I encountered a prickly pal for the first time in awhile on my run this morning:

Apologies for the poor quality, the sun wasn't quite up yet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
They’re so weird looking

Man seeing this thread again brings back memories so I’m posting to find my,posts

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Sankis posted:

Was checking my window in preparation of putting in an AC unit in a few days when I opened it up and saw a bunch of these bugs.

Does anyone know what they are and what they're after? Sorry for the lovely pics but they scatter before I'm able to get too close.

They seem like they may be active all day, though are for sure active night into morning.

How small were they? Almost look like they could be springtails, were they a little hard to see with the naked eye?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Will wrens eat peanuts? I thought as a group they were insectivores, if not obligate insectivores.

Us weird rear end aquarium people have got you covered, yo:

https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/bug-bites/

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

poverty goat posted:

https://i.imgur.com/BJU0z2n.mp4
my fat squirrel friend has taken to just laying in the food while he eats it

My old apartment had a couple squirrels like this who'd hang out on my balcony, I used to leave an upside-down tin cookie lid with some water on really hot days & they'd sprawl out with their noses on the edge lol

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The Red Queen posted:

How small were they? Almost look like they could be springtails, were they a little hard to see with the naked eye?

The two pictures are from roughly the same distance. The ones in the second pic are tiny, and I think you can see some little ones in the first as well. The big one in the first picture was probably the size of... is "the hole in a pair of earbuds" an understandable reference?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 6, 2021

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Definitely could be springtails then.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Not my pics, but this feels like the thread for it?

Approximate 10% of the wild population of California Condors descended on this lady's mom's house and have been hanging out there for the past few days.

https://twitter.com/SeanaLyn/status/1389745331085070343

https://twitter.com/SeanaLyn/status/1389997628302106627

Only a few more close ups of the condors in her timeline, most of them are of them flying from a long distance or sitting in a tree.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Cecropia hatched today, unusually small/red eyespots on this one. Odd color generally.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Approximate 10% of the wild population of California Condors descended on this lady's mom's house and have been hanging out there for the past few days.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shiney McShine posted:

here's a pink katydid

my mom found one of these in her garden today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Funnily enough, green is the recessive colour allele. It's just highly selected for in the wild. In the absence of natural selection most katydids would be pink, yellow, or orange.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Bugsy posted:

Not my pics, but this feels like the thread for it?

No, this thread is for wildlife that goons encounter and take pictures of, not talk about animals in general.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

empty whippet box posted:

I like that it looks like one of those rubber toys you'd get from those machines out front of the grocery store for $0.25.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

I like that it looks like one of those rubber toys you'd get from those machines out front of the grocery store for $0.25.

it seriously looks like she dipped it in pepto bismol. pink katydids are apparently super rare, and they usually aren't so vividly pink either.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

empty whippet box posted:

So pretty :swoon:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Found a sesame seed sized Pseudoscorpion yesterday. That is on the large side for them.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Man they look so odd.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Great shot!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
phone cameras have come such a long way since I started questing

Sphecidae maybe?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Maybe Ophioninae instead?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

joat mon posted:

Maybe Ophioninae instead?

Yeah!

Also I love the word "koinobiont"

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Went to get some worms for snake, found a newt.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The wrens that made a nest in my garage on a shelf on top a wound up extension cord now have hatched some babies. They're not really visible besides something moving around in there, but momma and poppa wren are both out on a lot of trips to bring back insects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icoQ2MeK0BI

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Slo-Tek posted:

Found a sesame seed sized Pseudoscorpion yesterday. That is on the large side for them.

This one seems stretched out. Could that mean it's either gravid or ready to molt?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
turkey encounter(audio on)

https://i.imgur.com/4vX6RDS.mp4

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

WOW. I thought they could only fly on a pathetic level like chickens, didn't think they could get THAT kind of air!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A few mins ago I walked outside and my crow friend immediately flew over and perched in the nearest tree, so I put out some dinner for him and he came down and ate it right away. So that's pretty cool. Seems he's figured out that I'm me and I trade food for caws.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Red Queen posted:

WOW. I thought they could only fly on a pathetic level like chickens, didn't think they could get THAT kind of air!
I wonder if it knew that too :v:. all I know is we had one of those "walk around the corner and bump into each other, then freak out" moments where my dog REALLY wanted to investigate this turkey and the turkey really wanted nothing to do with it, and took off immediately.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I studied these guys in grad school and about 90% of people would tell me “what, they can fly?” and then I had this weird comment from several people that turkeys “were the only bird that can fly straight up in the air” which a) I never got a good explanation what they meant by that, and b) can’t possibly be true regardless.

The big fat males have a harder time but they can get up too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah nah this sucker was in full blown escape panic mode and still had to take off horizontally

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah hummingbirds can go pretty much any direction they want to

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

HELLO I went to the woods today and saw some babies on the move with their very concerned mama:

Also here is a spoder trying to be skinny:

I know the fowl is a hooded merganser, but skinnyspoder is elusive to me. Western PA.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 13, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Nice shots! It looks just like the long-jawed spider in this article, but unfortunately the species isn't indentified. Maybe Tetragnatha extensa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

ArcMage posted:

Went to get some worms for snake, found a newt.

That's a redback salamander. They can be really common, sometimes with hundreds inhabiting one log (only saw that once, though).

What kind of snake are you feeding worms to? I used to have a little dekay's snake that was really fun and she was a blast to feed worms to.