Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the game they're describing already exists and it's Puzzle Pirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

twistedmentat posted:

I really want to know why they presented it as some kind of major achievement. Maybe to appeal to the people who want to have SC be as full of mundane activities as possible.

Can you even like, use your ship to fight another ship yet? I feel like that would probably be a better area of focus. You know, some actual gameplay, that would be nice.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the game they're describing already exists and it's Puzzle Pirates

I used to love puzzle pirates, even made it to global second on the leaderboard for navigation! #lifegoals

Honestly it's kind of insulting to compare puzzle pirates to this game. Puzzle pirates was a relatively fun, well-thought-out game with enjoyable puzzles, a persistent economy and a political/guild system that was actually quite compelling. It basically had everything that SC doesn't, plus you could run it in your browser on a drat potato

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

No other NPC has been as realistically shiny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Play posted:

Can you even like, use your ship to fight another ship yet? I feel like that would probably be a better area of focus. You know, some actual gameplay, that would be nice.

Oh yes, I mean joking aside you can. It's not very good but I'm p sure you can find other ships and shoot them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chitin posted:

No other NPC has been as realistically shiny.

The air on space ships is really dry, okay. If you don't moisturize heavily you'l be ashy as hell.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

I was looking into opening my own subway franchise, but the cost of owning and operating a fleet of predator drones to defend my establishment from thieves was prohibitive.

Come on now, don't make disinfenuous comparisons in bad faith. It's more like starting a food truck but not able to outfit it to Carmegeddon levels of protection

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I almost said food truck, but they also referenced having a fully staffed kitchen and seating for 40 customers inside, and I couldn't come up with a perfect analogy :shrug:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Are you all trying to imply that cruise ships don't typically sandwich the buffet between the main guns and the torture dungeon brig??

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m surprised they haven’t sold space stations yet. Let people own a space truck stop or space hotel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

lifg posted:

I’m surprised they haven’t sold space stations yet. Let people own a space truck stop or space hotel.

A space station is just a capital ship that never goes anywhere.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Im gonna start an entergaging meal delivery app. Stimpire Eats.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Im gonna start an entergaging meal delivery app. Stimpire Eats.

promising delivery of your compulsory daily serving of anti-nutritional acid gruel within twelve seconds or it’s free everyone involved and everyone within a hundred miles is shocked with the worst kind of electricity, constantly escalating, forever and ever

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Play posted:

Yeah, sort of. Except it takes a ludicrous amount of time to actually destroy another ship, giving them ample time to warp away and completely escape the fight.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Is the worst kind of electricity ac or dc? I know what Edison would say...'why is star citizen going to have been in development for 10 years next year?'

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, sort of. Except it takes a ludicrous amount of time to actually destroy another ship, giving them ample time to warp away and completely escape the fight.

Seriously? *Jeff Goldblum voice* Uh...Now there will be space combat in your space combat sim eventually? Hello?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On top of the endless issues with Star Citizen, one big one is that they've put the cart before the horse in every possible sense when it comes to actual game design and gameplay. All this time and money going into designing ships before they have any idea what they'll be actually used for.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
When are the NPC tour guides for the food court capital ship going to be ready?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Here we have Hot Dog on a Stick, complete fidelity on the uniforms and 500 polygons per corn dog. Here is the Sbarro but in the ‘verse it’s called Bzarro. Lil joke there. Also Pangolin Express and at the end, Cinnobun.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

What type of person loves SC? posted:

I have brought a few folks onto SC but only few become deep fans (like me). It makes me wonder what type characteristics predict that someone will become an SC fan. Here are some I have observed:
  • deeply appreciates detail
  • seeks immersion and realism
  • grew up loving sci fi
  • loves ships and vehicles
  • loves Star Wars
  • is a fan of Bladerunner
  • is patient
  • likes to be part of something bigger than a game (feels like they are part of something new) (needed to tolerate bugs)
  • is happy to just hang out and just watch the Verse go by. Needs a certain type of person for this I think to like going to virtual conventions:)
  • appreciates good design
  • not necessarily an FPS fan … debatable here but I suspect FPS fans won’t chase a game like SC
What else?

Edit: loves this too https://soundcloud.com/pedrocamacho/first-light-starfarer-trailer

quote:

Dislikes the generic "same game each year/3 years" and does want a game that tries to risk something to do things differently.

At least that's me.

quote:

Yep, I will happily pay people to explore roads that might lead to nowhere

quote:

That can't really be said about the game now as they do have a road with a clear goal. Just the specifics have to be fleshed out. But honestly, that was me 2014: I might not get something but if I get something out of this it will be beautiful. And so far I am far from being disappointed with anything.

quote:

Should add "loves elevators and trains" to this list. My autistic 5 year old loves to just sit and watch me play for all the times I have to take the train or elevators in the stations and cities.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
You know I was thinking, we're probably too hard on Star Citizen and CIG. After all, they've given me hours of entertainment and I haven't even had to pay anything! Now that's value

Also-

https://i.imgur.com/8Sg90Jq.mp4

SHE GOTTA rear end THAT DON'T QUIT

.random
May 7, 2007

Play posted:

SHE GOTTA rear end THAT DON'T QUIT

Until it 30Ks

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Was sewing some patches on a new jacket last night and came back across this old thing.

Shout out to the good times.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Is SC on steam?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

No. 6 posted:

Is SC on steam?

Steam is for games, silly

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Daztek posted:

Steam is for games, silly

I am so loving sick of this disinfo spread by haters, now if the client stays stable enough for me to take off without crashing itself or the server, and if I am able to navigate the treacherous array of push carts in the dock, I'd be happy to prove your ignorant rear end wrong and show you the greatest game ever made

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

quote:

Dislikes the generic "same game each year/3 years" and does want a game that tries to risk something to do things differently.

At least that's me.
Isn't there a greater number and variety of video games than there ever has been in human history.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

When can I buy a box copy?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Isn't there a greater number and variety of video games than there ever has been in human history.

Yes.

They're hung up on CoD while they don't realize a lovely 3D mining game is one of the most popular game in the world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching something the other night and the youtuber offhandedly remarked how companies just keep releasing the same games and showed box art for Yakuza Like a Dragon. Did they just see that it was the 7th game in a series and decide to use that?

It feels a lot like people who complain that all music sucks now but are only exposed to music through top 40 radio and what music gets used in NCIS.

And really, the game still looks like Mass Effect with about 2/3 the talent. I don't mean that, I mean this looks like a stripped down Mass Effect game in its aesthetics. Crob talks about how he dreams of being in Star Wars, but nothing in this looks like Star Wars. Star Wars often has grimey, broken down ships, a heavy, functional look that contrasts with something like Star Trek where everything is clean lines and calming beiges. Also all the ships look like aircraft. Sci Fi aircraft, but still they have a cockpit in the front, engines in the back, and wings. There is no attempt to make anything unique or interesting.

Also pretty sure if you actually attacked someone in game and damaged or destroyed their ship, they'd come after you irl with lawsuits.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

twistedmentat posted:

I was watching something the other night and the youtuber offhandedly remarked how companies just keep releasing the same games and showed box art for Yakuza Like a Dragon. Did they just see that it was the 7th game in a series and decide to use that?

That's an utterly bizarre choice considering what a departure Like a Dragon is from the rest of the series. (which owns hard)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Yogi147/status/1392866847628857344

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Bunk beds in the cabin. One for me and one for my estranged wife should she choose to come back home.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You need a bed so you can take a nap while the game travels from one point to the next.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I responded to them.

https://twitter.com/IFeelSaferAlrdy/status/1393257223170703365

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sardonik posted:

That's an utterly bizarre choice considering what a departure Like a Dragon is from the rest of the series. (which owns hard)

It's because they're ignorant and dismissive of anything other than what they personally like, I wager.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mirificus posted:

Should add "loves elevators and trains" to this list. My autistic 5 year old loves to just sit and watch me play for all the times I have to take the train or elevators in the stations and cities.

You know, I strongly suspect that a lot of the people into Star Citizen have some form of high-functioning autism. Would explain the lack of imagination and how they're easily excited by boring, tedious work.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I just noticed the one like and one comment.

This is good for Star Citizen.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

This is sad as gently caress

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I sleep in a big bed with my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Two beds, but one chair on the deck. The other person will be cleaning the toilets and serving drinks the whole time.

haha, there is no other person