Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Gaas companies that are trying to cast many nets seem to sometimes have serious grognard games as part of their property, so not too unusual.

Popete posted:

"addressing primarily the attractive 30+ male audience."

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pharnakes posted:

Not that I had any hope for really any of their games at this point, but :rip:

Naval action and ultimate dreadnought could both have been so good. probably AoS too but at least I didn't buy that one.

Dreadnought is fun, throw a fleet together and go shoot at the AI. A campaign and MP would have been nice, but I got my money's worth. AoS is pretty good, I like the land/sail mix of scenarios, and especially the amphibious assaults where you have to break the enemy squadron, land troops, and take a location.That got out of Early Release and is in pretty good shape, in three years we'll probably all have it after innumerable sales.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

mllaneza posted:

Dreadnought is fun, throw a fleet together and go shoot at the AI. A campaign and MP would have been nice, but I got my money's worth. AoS is pretty good, I like the land/sail mix of scenarios, and especially the amphibious assaults where you have to break the enemy squadron, land troops, and take a location.That got out of Early Release and is in pretty good shape, in three years we'll probably all have it after innumerable sales.

Without a campaign I would take RTW all day long.

Seeing the 3D models of your ships is great, but the rest of Dreadnoughts is arcadey as gently caress, and not really worth the money I spent.

I had been hoping a campaign would have made it worth it he $20 I spent on it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Did they stop development on Dreadnoughts or something? I haven't been following it closely at all but it was on my mental list of like, EA games that I should check out when they finally get a 1.0 release. Are people just assuming they are gonna rush it out the door because the studio got bought?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's still going but it sounds like COVID slowed it down. Based on posts on the forums it sounds like an initial campaign release sometime this summer and Steam Early Access in the fall/end of the year.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Can't believe no one saw this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmNjrL3U-c

World in Conflict successor by... Slitherine?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dude was a former Eugen employee too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eh, there's 3 or 4 games like this in development. Proof is in the pudding.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Hell yeah. I love the idea of the wargame(s) but I never get too far before stuff getting killed by stuff I cant see on the other of the battlefield makes me give up, I played the gently caress out of world in conflict though

Kangra
May 7, 2012

mmtt posted:

Who else is going to bring you a Broken Arrow?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxs1caKGagg

World in Conflict had some of the best FMVs of its time

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mmtt posted:

Can't believe no one saw this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmNjrL3U-c

I feel that parachute dropping tanks AFTER your soldiers jump is a recipe for disaster.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxs1caKGagg

World in Conflict had some of the best FMVs of its time

Man I miss Audioslave...

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Kangra posted:

Who else is going to bring you a Broken Arrow?

You can find it somewhere down the crazy river

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

ZekeNY posted:

You can find it somewhere down the crazy river

If you mean in the mud off the coast in Savanah, Georgia, you are correct!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

slitherine is doing a turn based dogfighting game set during the battle of britian now

https://www.slitherine.com/game/scramble-battle-of-britain

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That looks like its either gonna be absolutely brilliant or exceedingly terrible and absolutely nowhere in between

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That looks cool as hell, hopefully it's not just a new camera angle wedged into Check Your 6!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is field of glory ii a marked improvement over pike and shot & sengoku jidai?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

is field of glory ii a marked improvement over pike and shot & sengoku jidai?

Yes, there's just a huge variety of armies and periods available, especially with DLC and mods. It's still using the same basic rules as the other games, but they manage enough variance in unit type that playing say, Triumvirate era Rome is wildly different than the late Empire, to say nothing of how Huns or Germans play. It's good and you should get it.

I also like the medieval standalone that came out recently but you can put that off until there's some DLC available.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also you can combine it with field of glory empires for a paradox-like experience with tactical fights (you fight the fights in FoG2).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Private Speech posted:

Also you can combine it with field of glory empires for a paradox-like experience with tactical fights (you fight the fights in FoG2).

Wait, what? The two are intended to integrate this way? That’s cool as hell.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

While everyone following pdxcon is ecstatic about Vic 3, another thing they announced is that the next HoI4 expansion will add railroads and train-based logistics, probably making the game a lot more groggy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Wait, what? The two are intended to integrate this way? That’s cool as hell.

It's not perfect or anything but it's something that can be done. The main flaw in it is that it's kinda easy mode for the battles and in FoG:Empires terrain has way more of an effect on battles than what would happen by generating the battle in FoG2. They're two seperate games by seperate devs bolted together for that, but it's still interesting.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Panzeh posted:

It's not perfect or anything but it's something that can be done. The main flaw in it is that it's kinda easy mode for the battles and in FoG:Empires terrain has way more of an effect on battles than what would happen by generating the battle in FoG2. They're two seperate games by seperate devs bolted together for that, but it's still interesting.

It certainly makes beating the Roman easier when you can outnumber them by a lot and the FOG2 game will generate a match up where your unit size is like 4 times bigger than theirs and all their legionnaires will form 2 units while you have 10 warbands. This kind of numeric advantage is useless in FoG: Empire because even on plain you cannot bring your number to bear in really big battle (also tribes tend to get slaughtered on plain by the Roman)

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 23, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

pedro0930 posted:

It certainly makes beating the Roman easier when you can outnumber them by a lot and the FOG2 game will generate a match up where your unit size is like 4 times bigger than theirs and the all their legionnaires will form 2 units while you have 10 warbands. This kind of numeric advantage is useless in FoG: Empire because even on plain you cannot bring your number to bear in really big battle (also tribes tend to get slaughtered on plain by the Roman)

This is actually cool and good and more groggy anyway.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
The real issue with the conversion is that the units that you get in FoGII aren't always what you'd expect coming from FoGE. There are mods that help with this, though.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'm not entirely sure if it's a grog game or not, but has anyone here tried out Kurogane of the Sky?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

pedro0930 posted:

It certainly makes beating the Roman easier when you can outnumber them by a lot and the FOG2 game will generate a match up where your unit size is like 4 times bigger than theirs and the all their legionnaires will form 2 units while you have 10 warbands. This kind of numeric advantage is useless in FoG: Empire because even on plain you cannot bring your number to bear in really big battle (also tribes tend to get slaughtered on plain by the Roman)

The thing for me is that you go from terrain being absolutely dominant in the battle res to being completely missing in battle res, which makes it rough to work with a smaller army. FoG2 will generate flavored maps based on the terrain but it doesn't really give the smaller force enough help, since FoG2 is trying to make an interesting battle.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The thing for me is that you go from terrain being absolutely dominant in the battle res to being completely missing in battle res, which makes it rough to work with a smaller army. FoG2 will generate flavored maps based on the terrain but it doesn't really give the smaller force enough help, since FoG2 is trying to make an interesting battle.

Terrain, and also I don't know if it's the AI getting bonus or something but the AI often seems to have extremely good general (allows many re-roll during resolution) while I get nothing so I have to play the battles out myself.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Slitherine is having a small sale on humble bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/slitherine-publisher-sale
If you've never bought there before, you get a steam key.

As much as I lust after the physical manual, I think $12 is probably a more appropriate price for Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa given how much I'll likely play it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I was literally just debating whether or not to pick up ICBM earlier today or not. This is a sign I should...its for charity!

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Command Pro 2 officially released today: https://command.matrixgames.com/?p=5204

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Panzer Corps 2 is on sale in a couple places, I've got a question about it - the description says you can play as any country in the European theater, is that just in like skirmish mode? I'm assuming the main game campaigns are all Germany all the time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Karma Tornado posted:

Panzer Corps 2 is on sale in a couple places, I've got a question about it - the description says you can play as any country in the European theater, is that just in like skirmish mode? I'm assuming the main game campaigns are all Germany all the time.

Its for the random map skirmishes, yeah. The current campaigns are all German atm.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dimitris posted:

Command Pro 2 officially released today: https://command.matrixgames.com/?p=5204

That's a pretty map. Hope we see it in the civilian edition eventually.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Karma Tornado posted:

If you ask nicely we'll let you play as Finland too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hows the complexity of Command? Naval and air combat interests me a lot more than land and the game looks so cool but also so complex and with that price tag its hard to justify. I wish it had a demo.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

For the record CMO is currently 30% off on the Humble Store. 43% off I think if you have a Humble Monthly subscription?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Hows the complexity of Command? Naval and air combat interests me a lot more than land and the game looks so cool but also so complex and with that price tag its hard to justify. I wish it had a demo.

There's an initial familiarity hump, but once you get over that it's pretty easy. A lot depends on the scenarios you play, some are extremely detailed with a ton of units and huge planning, while others only involve a sub or two or a small task force.