Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Next gen teslas are coming and Elon doesn't want scrubs using coins to buy them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yossarian-22 posted:

My shitcoin portfolio is approaching 10k

lmao it ended just the same

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Judakel posted:

lmao it ended just the same

i ended well into 5 figures but i'll let you know when i end up in a siberian black site

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

i think tesla shareholders hate elon and recognize that bitcoin is bad for their environmental image and longterm future. i highly doubt he wanted this

i think its more about how they want dollars and not volatile stocks as payment for their cars

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I bought like 50 quids worth of the stupidest named new coins I could find, my ultimate goal is to be able to tell people I retired because of all my Dog Vagina coins

How are you meant to track the value of all these stupid things though?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lmao my dogina coin has tripled in value since that post

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

^quality pair of posts

cumshitter if i cash in winnings now will i be paying less since holdings over 1 year=capital gains? definitely need to know what's what with taxes now

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
uh cumshitter can c/d after his nursing assistants get done with his sponge bath or whatever, but i'm p sure capital gains is capital gains no matter the timeframe

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Nonsense posted:

lol all of the bitcoin competitors keep releasing anti-doge statements that it will simply go away (will only go up more)

the real crypto nerds hate doge and it’s really funny

but the doge nerds on Reddit are also very annoying

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

^quality pair of posts

cumshitter if i cash in winnings now will i be paying less since holdings over 1 year=capital gains? definitely need to know what's what with taxes now

Just make 100% sure you don't lose your bag between December 31st and when you pay your taxes. This is what got a lot of the old coiners.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
anyone want to make some shitcoins with me? i dunno how to do it but i assume you just fork some existing repo and change some values and then become a millionaire

what if bitcoin, but instead it was called Dog Pussy

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

^quality pair of posts

It's pretty simple.

If you sell something that you've held onto less than one year (crypto -> crypto counts as selling), it's taxed as short term capital gains. Any profit you make is treated like additional regular income on top of your salary, etc, and is taxed as income accordingly at your normal income tax rates.

If you've held onto it for more than a year and then sell, it's taxed as long term capital gains. This is going to be a more favorable tax rate than your income tax -- if your total income is between 40k and 440k it's 15%, and if you have more than 440k total income it's 20%.

Either way you're gonna have to pay your taxes.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
let’s make some coins goons https://wiki.trezor.io/User_manual:Creating_a_custom_ERC-20_token

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Making and distributing ERC20 tokens is hideously expensive right now because network fees on Ethereum are super high :\

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

punished milkman posted:

i'll take 936 billion

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Yossarian-22 posted:

^quality pair of posts

I think you need to hold a security/derivative for one year for it to qualify for capital gains, I don’t know if pancake swapping between a bunch would count as long term

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

indigi posted:

I think you need to hold a security/derivative for one year for it to qualify for capital gains, I don’t know if pancake swapping between a bunch would count as long term

Capital gains/losses occur regardless of time frame of holding. The only difference is whether it's short term or long term gains/losses, which are taxed differently as I mentioned in my post above.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
you can lose the loss portion if you violate the 30 day wash rule. or if you sell a security and buy it back within 30 days.

its meant to stop people from selling things at a loss and then immediately buying them back, getting the taxable writeoff while still holding the investment. if youre constantly trading between coins you might be getting this.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Another confusing thing: establishing "which" coins you bought and sold at a particular time.

For example, if I bought 1 BTC three years ago at 5k, another 1 BTC three months ago at 40k, and sold 1 BTC today at 50k, which bitcoin was I selling today? The one which I bought three years ago, or the one I bought 3 months ago?

It turns out that the IRS doesn't explicitly issue guidelines on whether you do FIFO (first in/first out -- ie, the bitcoin I'm selling today is the first one that I bought three years ago, then the next bitcoin I sell is the next oldest, and so on) or LIFO, or other acceptable accounting measures, even though they may have radically different tax implications. It's up to the person filing the taxes to figure that out.

Tracking and accounting for this is a giant pain, by the way. I use bitcoin.tax which at least lets me import my data from a variety of different exchanges, and also allows me to model out different accounting strategies to determine the one with the most favorable tax rate.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the IRS and most (if not all) brokerages will assume FIFO unless you direct them or state otherwise.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

punished milkman posted:

anyone want to make some shitcoins with me? i dunno how to do it but i assume you just fork some existing repo and change some values and then become a millionaire

yes

bsc (binance smart chain) should be much easier/more accessible to the masses though, until eth 2.0 comes out

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1392883501842812928?s=20

Lol, better brush up on that tax stuff

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

ahahahahahaha TOTAL CRYPTO MELTDOWN

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Back in the black with my .22 shares of AMC stock :smug:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

its cus i touched crypto guys, im sorry

for years i watched it thinking it would crash the moment i decided to gamble, and sure enough, it did

wait im not sorry actually

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

this is the best time to buy or the worst ??????????

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

If someone spools up PONZI coin or PROFITURD I am loving in

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I was going to ask yossarian to answer their DMs but with binance abotu to be investigated it may be moot

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

this is the best time to buy or the worst ??????????

the point of disciplined investing or gambling is that you will never know the peak price or if you were going to be dealt a blackjack until it's over. which is why it's a good idea to incrementally realize gains. at least for no other reason than to cover your initial investment

nobody ever lost money realizing gains

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In the crypto space, we call those "gainz"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

if you sell Elon wins

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1392974251011895300?s=20

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
What's the deal with ethereum classic?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
it tastes way better than new ethereum

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Crypto right back on course for ALL TIME HIGHS

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

if there's one thing that gives me hope for the future of humanity its our centibillionaire tech jesus being really into a joke crypto

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i'm convinced doge will eventually pass bitcoin (in total marketcap not price)

also news today that it will be listed on coinbase. i don't think the pump of doge is over, and then the shib coins will pump again after getting their poo poo wrecked

question is can they pass their previous all time highs? i think if they can't it's a sign that we're having mini bull cycles and in bear season now. market is simply too attached to bitcoin's price

again i'm a dumbass though don't listen to me

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 19:23 on May 14, 2021

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Yossarian-22 posted:

again i'm a dumbass though don't listen to me

i get all of my actionable investment advice from this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
The best way to invest is to get drunk before you open Robinhood.