Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Dang the raiders stink again

What's happened to them? They've still got a decent roster haven't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Saul Goode posted:

What's happened to them? They've still got a decent roster haven't they?

Its a bunch of things.

1. Losing Beej and Bateman. Say what you will for Beej and the disaster of his run at the tigers at his best he was a gamebreaker. Sticky really doesn't have structure he just hopes someone does something. Bateman and Joey were the most likely in the side even if they also played like utter lunatics.

2. The centres aren't performing and they are paid way too much. Croker has been a proud servant for the club and at his peak was a pretty good centre. I wouldnt personally tie a lot of money up in centre. I think its the least important position in a proper run team (see point 1 we are not a proper run team). So Croker during the mid 10s was good enough to get the job done. However in 2021 he is simply getting monstered by larger outside backs. He is currently on 600k. I actually doubt any of the good sides spend what we do on centre even taking into account Crokers long serving player bonus (which could be spent on Jack and Papalii anyway). I estimate we are spending about 1.05 million dollars between Croker and Scott. Maybe the Roosters are spending that on Manu/Morris but there is no chance the Storm, Panthers, Rabbits, etc are putting that sort of scratch into centre. Oh yeah and Croker is signed up to the end of 2024

3. The wings aren't fast enough. We are an extremely slow side. The ideal NRL winger in 2021 is Brian To'o who is fast enough and breaks a bunch of tackles or JAC who is fast as hell and can still break tackles. We have two "power" wingers but Rapana is really aging badly and struggles to finish tries and Simonson is struggling. Rapana is still busting tackles but wingers have to finish tries.

4. Due to point 3 (how slow we are) the opposition can easily do two things: Put the wingers back early not fearing we can go around them and put the ball in behind our slow poke wingers. This has resulted in the Raiders losing kick return metres every week. The Raiders sets get off to a terrible start and the opposition get their sets off to a good one. It also does not help how poor Wighton and Williams kick long. I mean Wighton can kick a ball a long way but he has very little control over it. He kicks the ball out on the full a crazy amount.

5. The coach. Stick is an ok coach but he has huge flaws. He has never been able to coach attacking structure. He has always just jammed as many good players into the side as he could and been like now score some tries lads. He is stubborn to a silly degree. We lost games because he picked 2 hookers and 2 props on the bench. He uses the bench appallingly anyway. When physically imposing backrowers are carving up the comp he leaves CHN sitting in reserve grade.

There are probably other reasons. Papalii rocking up looking lethargic as hell after his boxing stint isnt helping but individually all the forwards are putting up good to great numbers. We just lack any attacking spark and without CNK at the back organising the defense we aren't good enough defensively either.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Wow, when you break it all down like that it sure is something. I hate Stuart but I really liked the roster he had built when you guys made the Grand Final, felt like that might have been the start of a decent run at the top instead of the constant yo-yo-ing, but it seems like that was the peak for that team huh. drat shame that GF turned out the way it did... loving Roosters.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Saul Goode posted:

Wow, when you break it all down like that it sure is something. I hate Stuart but I really liked the roster he had built when you guys made the Grand Final, felt like that might have been the start of a decent run at the top instead of the constant yo-yo-ing, but it seems like that was the peak for that team huh. drat shame that GF turned out the way it did... loving Roosters.

So last night we had a fresh Sia on the bench until the 71st minute while guys like Sutton started to struggle in defense because he was gassed. I do not understand how he uses the bench. He is so loving stubborn that he refuses to react to the game. Its very weird.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

So last night we had a fresh Sia on the bench until the 71st minute while guys like Sutton started to struggle in defense because he was gassed. I do not understand how he uses the bench. He is so loving stubborn that he refuses to react to the game. Its very weird.
He dumb

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
The Raiders seem to get run down in the second half a lot. Which is either due to poor cardio (which is the coach's fault) or poor halftime adjustments (which is the coach's fault).

Stuart has generally been given an easy ride. He won a premiership with a team that didn't follow the salary cap and had Gould coaching the team anyway. He was a disaster at the Sharks and Eels. At the Raiders whoever has built the squad has done a loving amazing job especially with the British imports, but like BDC said age is catching up with them and they're possibly getting caught out giving too much money to the old hands.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Its minutes 40-60 where we really struggle. So I think its probably fitness combined with his rotation. Anyways footy is poo poo innit

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
It can't be a good thing long term to have your coach going on utterly delusional whingey rants against the refs and the NRL and the illuminati every week either rather than accepting accountability on himself and specific players (I realise recently he has held some players to account but still).

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Ricky Stuart accepting responsibility for his actions? Obligatory "you must be new here" joke goes here.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Worst kept secret in NZ league just broke wide.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/300162860/manu-vatuvei-reveals-himself-as-sportsman-charged-with-importing-methamphetamine

quote:

Former rugby league player Manu Vatuvei can now be named as the sportsman facing a string of methamphetamine charges.

The Warriors icon is charged with possessing methamphetamine for supply and importing the Class A drug.

He has denied the charges, which were laid in December 2019.

Say what you will, at least trafficking meth is honest work, unlike the real estate career he’d moved in to.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm just happy the scandal didn't involve urine drinking or bestiality for once

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Josh Papalii wasn't dropped, he needs a mental health break. Glad to see Canberra are a good club.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

Josh Papalii wasn't dropped, he needs a mental health break. Glad to see Canberra are a good club.

Papalii is a guy the coach has to really manage. Sticky has been largely pretty good at it. However, there are times when he struggles. He gains weight, he looks disinterested and he plays poorly. I think he came into the season with a bad mindset. It was a short off season for him because he played Origin and he did the dumb boxing match.

There are absolutely times where Papaliis mental health (his brother getting into legal trouble as an example) has impacted his game. I think the guy is our best player. He is probably the only current player who would crack the great team of the 90s but he needs to be well managed.

So I would probably take that at face value. I just hope he can get motivated because we need the guy badly.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Are you fuckers all just in the discord now?

Where is the iajanus meltdown dammit.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saul Goode posted:

Are you fuckers all just in the discord now?

Where is the iajanus meltdown dammit.
yep, live posting

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Lame, I miss this thread. Live streaming comments just aren't the same.

Come back or I'll be forced to turn this thread into the Eels Appreciation Station.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saul Goode posted:

Come back or I'll be forced to turn this thread into the Eels Appreciation Station.
adapt and overcome (download discord)

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Saul Goode posted:

Get in the Discord. If you don't want to download it (you should) you can access it via browser.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Look I can't promise I'll always melt down in both places but never fear that I won't melt down

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lol madge you absolute moron.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BlindSite posted:

Lol madge you absolute moron.
what a mad lad

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

At some point he's just trying to get the board to sack him (or possibly just the fans to murder the team)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Adam Reynolds officially signs. Awwww yisssss

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sucks for Tyson Gamble

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

bowmore posted:

sucks for Tyson Gamble

Wonder if they'll keep him around and use him like new castle do Watson. Chuck him at hooker, lock, play him in the halves in a pinch.

Hes big enough to play anywhere and good defensively. I like Gamble a lot but could still feature.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

So the raiders are obviously really bad. I don't think we will win another game all year so hopefully the dogs are just that little worse.

People will have their own opinion on how much power players should have with contracts. So some folks will have more or less sympathy to George Williams but the reality is that the players believe that he is mentally struggling and he needed a break. So the club has played this completely wrong and pissed off all the players. Absolute scenes. Also, we will probably end up having to pay him out anyway so it was pointless too.

Being a small market side in one of the least desirable locations for young rich football players makes recruitment hard enough as is. The fact the club is run by a bunch of stupid hillbillies who do incredibly dumb things and have no risk of losing their jobs makes it much harder. They keep the club ticking over financially and that's all the NRL cares about.

True story but in the early 2000s the club interviewed to replace Mal Meninga and they hired Matthew Elliot. One of the coaches they rejected for Elliot was Craig Bellamy. We were really close to signing Bellamy too but the club just thought Elliot interviewed better.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BlindSite posted:

Wonder if they'll keep him around and use him like new castle do Watson. Chuck him at hooker, lock, play him in the halves in a pinch.

Hes big enough to play anywhere and good defensively. I like Gamble a lot but could still feature.
I wish Watson was on the park for the full 80

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

So the raiders are obviously really bad. I don't think we will win another game all year so hopefully the dogs are just that little worse.

People will have their own opinion on how much power players should have with contracts. So some folks will have more or less sympathy to George Williams but the reality is that the players believe that he is mentally struggling and he needed a break. So the club has played this completely wrong and pissed off all the players. Absolute scenes. Also, we will probably end up having to pay him out anyway so it was pointless too.

Being a small market side in one of the least desirable locations for young rich football players makes recruitment hard enough as is. The fact the club is run by a bunch of stupid hillbillies who do incredibly dumb things and have no risk of losing their jobs makes it much harder. They keep the club ticking over financially and that's all the NRL cares about.

True story but in the early 2000s the club interviewed to replace Mal Meninga and they hired Matthew Elliot. One of the coaches they rejected for Elliot was Craig Bellamy. We were really close to signing Bellamy too but the club just thought Elliot interviewed better.

Don't worry, we also hosed up signing Bellamy

ili
Jul 26, 2003

We did it a few times :cheers:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The Broncos are an absolutely fascinating team to watch week in and week out. Their level of play seems to change by the minute. No lead is safe because they're capable of a full blown defensive collapse at the drop of the hat but also completely dominate teams like Sydney?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So, uh, Curtis Scott apparently beat the piss out of some guy in a night club.

I thought this sort of thing was a pre-requisite to play in the NRL anyway.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

No, the prerequisites are beating women or loving dogs.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So game 1 of SOO is on tonight.

Enjoy losing, New South Fails.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I've been watching them lose for a lot of my life and it still isn't enjoyable; am i doing it wrong?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I've been watching them lose for a lot of my life and it still isn't enjoyable; am i doing it wrong?
same question

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
discord for live chat: https://discord.gg/bv6gZTdM

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

Timeless.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Where is Townsville?

It's in NSW.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Do you want me to tell you next week's lottery numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't remember a team ever being in the top 8 with a differential of -119 before (Cowboys)!