Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just carry a couple on you, cram them in different bags, etc

this is honestly way better for you than buying a 1024x768 laptop

I really don’t understand where this is coming from. If I’m overlooking something I’d like to know

Toyota, the company that wrote the book on “how to literally do anything”, used the Toughbook 31 with a 2nd gen i5 as the platform for its factory diagnostic tool til like a year ago. I’ve dropped one of those out of a vehicle at speed, and shared them with shops filled with guys who did much worse. The resolution never hurt my feelings. It was good at what I needed it to do when I needed it to do it and made me money

I’ve used ThinkPads and similar for automotive, construction, oil&gas, and industrial maintenance, and I always end up fighting something stupid, like dead keys, broken hinges, etc. Lot of work for not getting paid IMO

Really all I need from a laptop is to be able to look up phone numbers and addresses, send/receive emails to customers and vendors, read technical documentation, and run poo poo like RSLogix / CCW etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

eighty-four merc posted:

I really don’t understand where this is coming from. If I’m overlooking something I’d like to know

Toyota, the company that wrote the book on “how to literally do anything”, used the Toughbook 31 with a 2nd gen i5 as the platform for its factory diagnostic tool til like a year ago. I’ve dropped one of those out of a vehicle at speed, and shared them with shops filled with guys who did much worse. The resolution never hurt my feelings. It was good at what I needed it to do when I needed it to do it and made me money

I’ve used ThinkPads and similar for automotive, construction, oil&gas, and industrial maintenance, and I always end up fighting something stupid, like dead keys, broken hinges, etc. Lot of work for not getting paid IMO

Really all I need from a laptop is to be able to look up phone numbers and addresses, send/receive emails to customers and vendors, read technical documentation, and run poo poo like RSLogix / CCW etc.

The issue is basically you're going to significantly overpay for ancient hardware, which makes a lot of nerds itchy. If you're aware and okay with that, and the machine otherwise does what you need, feel free to buy whatever you want.

There are a few real issues that may be worth bringing up, though. First, buying old hardware may be a bad idea for longevity in general, not because it goes bad in itself, but because software vendors may stop supporting it. This may apply to things other than your business software. The i5-7300 launched in early 2017, so it's already 4 years old at this point. It's by no means current. Still, it's not like it's insufficient for basic office computer work so that's not really a big deal, just vaguely off-putting to pay new machine prices for something that old today.

More important to this thread though is just how much of a dinosaur resolution 1024x768 actually is. Last year I saw some data suggesting that less than 5% of machines use it. There is a very real risk that both web pages and desktop applications simply won't support a horizontal resolution that small in the future, or even today for that matter. On web pages you might at least get a mobile site, but on many sites the mobile version lacks functionality the desktop site has (or makes it really inconvenient to use). An external monitor of course mitigates this problem but if you're planning to use the machine on the go you may encounter annoyances in many places.

With all this said, again, buy what you like. Just be aware you'll be paying a premium for old hardware nobody wants.

e: I also noticed Panasonic says the Toughbook 31 is reaching EOL and soon won't be available anymore. I personally would not be particularly enticed by that fact. The Toughbook 55 at least has an 8th gen CPU and 1366x768 which seems a lot more reasonable to me.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 7, 2021

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

If you want a reasonably tough laptop, look at Dell Precision M4x00. The m4800 is the last of the line of the sturdier case style and can be found on eBay fully maxed out for about $400. Less if you don't need 32gb and an nvidia quadro.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm still anticipating the LG 27GP950-B like a little kid, and therefore again read up on things. Except I now noticed on LG's product page that it says only 120hz via HDMI 2.1, anything beyond that refresh rate needs DisplayPort with DSC. Well, that's certainly a wet fart.

(In principle I wouldn't care, since the initial plan was to run it at 120hz, for now anyway, as a compromise between power usage and HFR, but I thought HDMI 2.1 could do more.)

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
You'll want to use DP if possible for Gsync.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

TheFluff posted:

More important to this thread though is just how much of a dinosaur resolution 1024x768 actually is. Last year I saw some data suggesting that less than 5% of machines use it. There is a very real risk that both web pages and desktop applications simply won't support a horizontal resolution that small in the future, or even today for that matter. On web pages you might at least get a mobile site, but on many sites the mobile version lacks functionality the desktop site has (or makes it really inconvenient to use). An external monitor of course mitigates this problem but if you're planning to use the machine on the go you may encounter annoyances in many places.
I just replaced my mom's old 15" 1024x768 monitors with 21" panels as her work software was forcing a limited mobile view. She was resistant to change up until it just no longer worked. Those things must have been old enough to smoke.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

TheDK posted:

You'll want to use DP if possible for Gsync.
Hmm, really? HDMI 2.1 does VRR, right? Does that not work on NVidia cards?

--edit: Apparently not. For gently caress's sake.
--edit: Wait, no, I run into articles that starting with 20 series cards, NVidia actually does HDMI 2.1 VRR. :confused:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 8, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

4K120 is the cap because of HDR, just like LG's TVs. The cable can carry 4k144 non-HDR in the bandwidth window, but the controller/GPU/winders would all have to know what the gently caress is going on which isn't a guarantee. Most 2.1 controllers I've seen seem to just cap at 120 regardless, but I haven't seen that display tested yet.

Nvidia does support HDMI 2.1 VRR, but thats another case of everything in the chain needing to figure out what is going on. The compatibility and workability between all the HDMI 2.1 parts has been pure early adopter dogshit up until this point. There have been lots of firmware patches, work around, bugs, etc to get everything to talk right, and it is still not perfect.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm, really? HDMI 2.1 does VRR, right? Does that not work on NVidia cards?

--edit: Apparently not. For gently caress's sake.
--edit: Wait, no, I run into articles that starting with 20 series cards, NVidia actually does HDMI 2.1 VRR. :confused:

Check the list of gsync monitors on NVIDIA's site. Most are DP only. Your model should be on there if it's gsync or gsync compatible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HDMI VRR is especially confusing because there's two versions, the proprietary version that AMD bolted on (which Nvidia doesn't support) and the standard HDMI 2.1 VRR spec (which Turing cards support despite not having full HDMI 2.1 capability, and AMD doesn't support yet)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

standard HDMI 2.1 VRR spec (which Turing cards support despite not having full HDMI 2.1 capability, and AMD doesn't support yet)

Haha wow

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Haha wow
Indeed. Probably best just to keep sitting on my hands until DP 2.0 is finally out. Probably less drama involved in that one (...yeah right).

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
So I finally managed to get my hands on a new computer, and I want to refresh my monitor setup as well. Everything I have now is ancient and not worth re-using at this point. I'm looking for a 27" 1440p monitor in the middle with a 24" 1440p monitor on either side, three monitors total. Main monitor is for games, other two are for generic browsing/chatting/video watching. I would like the main monitor to be high refresh rate (120 or 144 hz, I'm not playing at a level to make higher than that matter) with GSync. As far as I can tell, there's no benefit to having high refresh rate/GSync on the side monitors. I don't do anything involving color accuracy or anything like that. I've done some research but a lot of the articles get into things like HDR certification and other technical details I'm not familiar with. Any recommendations or things to avoid?

I would also like to mount these on monitor arms. Is there a benefit to three individual monitor arms vs one large one that holds all 3? This is another area I'm not very familiar with, what pitfalls should I be looking to avoid?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Assuming you have a 10 series or newer GPU, you really want a Freesync monitor and not a Gsync monitor. There are a few options which are budget-efficient buys. The default recommendation is the LG 27GL83A, which can be had for $380 on Amazon or you can wait around and get ridiculous deals on Amazon Warehouse, some people have got perfect monitors for $280. The main alternative at the moment is the Gigabyte M27Q, which has a higher max refresh but slightly slower response times and is a bit cheaper at $310. The main downside to the M27Q is that it has a BGR subpixel layout, so software like Chromium which can't be configured to use RGB subpixel antialiasing has text aliasing issues on it.

There aren't many 24" 1440p monitors, and they're terrible value propositions. 27" 1440p 60hz is cheaper, but still a terrible value. The question I think you should be asking yourself is do you really need two secondary displays, or are you better off with a 4k60hz second monitor, or even two. 27" 4k 60hz IPS barely costs any more than 27" 1440p 60hz IPS.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I managed to get a 3070, which as far as I can tell will drive 1440p for days but starts to get questionable driving 4k60. I don't "need" two secondary displays but I currently have three monitors (from never throwing one away whenever I got a new one) and really really like having three displays. The resolution on the secondary displays isn't particularly relevant, I just assumed it would be best to match the primary. What's the reason for freesync over GSync?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Winged Orpheus posted:

I managed to get a 3070, which as far as I can tell will drive 1440p for days but starts to get questionable driving 4k60. I don't "need" two secondary displays but I currently have three monitors (from never throwing one away whenever I got a new one) and really really like having three displays. The resolution on the secondary displays isn't particularly relevant, I just assumed it would be best to match the primary. What's the reason for freesync over GSync?

Gsync is proprietary, more expensive, and the newest monitors tend to have fans to cool the chipsets for it, so you end up paying more to have fan noise from your monitors. Freesync works with Nvidia from the 1000 series on up.

Also, I know people have their own preferences about number, size, and placement of monitors, but it seems like considering two 27" monitors wouldn't be a bad idea.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Winged Orpheus posted:

This is only relevant in 3d. For your additional monitors, there's no reason to shy away from 4k other than the high DPI which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Gsync is kinda dead. Every so often there's a high-end gsync monitor that comes out, and then 3 months later the Freesync version comes out and it's better overall. The way Nvidia designed the gsync modules are super expensive and limiting. Aside from like 360hz 1080p, the best monitors you can get are Freesync, and that's generally been the case for several years now. You'll see lots of things labeled as G-sync compatible or certified G-sync compatible but that doesn't mean dick, you just want to buy a monitor that's known to work properly regardless of naming.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 9, 2021

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Is there a good source to tell which freesync monitors work with Nvidia cards? 4k for the secondary monitors would be fine. Is 24" 4k60 commonly available at a decent price? I really want three monitors, but three 27" monitors is possible (if probably slightly ridiculous)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There's no unified source. TFTCentral and RTings are the best places for monitor reviews, although HardwareUnboxed has been stepping their game up. Still, you really want to see a good chunk of consistently positive user reviews on places like reddit before you buy any new product, because there are situational issues that sometimes slip through. The two I told you are the ones you should be looking at, unless you want to spend a lot more for minor performance benefits. The 27GL83A has been popular for about 18 months now, it's a very good value especially if you're comfortable waiting for and gambling on Amazon Warehouse buys. You can return them, so there's really nothing to lose but time and you can save a decent bit of money.

27" 4k 60 monitors are super common, just search 4k IPS on Amazon and you'll get tons of results with a wide variety of features and price points. Any 4k IPS with a VESA mount and decent reviews is going to make you happy, they're almost as commoditized as 24" 1080p 60hz IPS monitors. Obviously there's a significant DPI difference between 27" 1440p and 27" 4k, but if you're comfortable dealing with that (it's generally a benefit far more often than it's a problem) there's no reason not to go that way.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Thanks for all the advice! The 27GL83A looks like it checks all my boxes, so I'll just go with that for the primary. I'll find some decent panels for the side monitors, but you're right that I don't need anything special for those. Any thoughts on monitor arms? Not sure I'll find a triple monitor arm that will hold 3 27" screens.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Winged Orpheus posted:

Is there a good source to tell which freesync monitors work with Nvidia cards?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Gigabyte G27Q is on sale on newegg for $249.99 for the rest of the day:
https://www.newegg.com/p/24-012-015?sdtid=15012868&item=24-012-015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

A thing to note with the GSync module is that the new mini-LED screens need to use GSync modules for 1152-zone with VRR. The extra processing power is final useful for those displays. For this reason these newer top end panels will have reduced specs for the freesync models.

TFTCentral PG32QU/X Comparison posted:

The QX features a Native G-sync hardware module which is necessary to support the Mini LED backlight properly, allowing for effective and speedy local dimming at the same time as variable refresh rates. 

The module does also guarantee variable overdrive which is still not a given on a lot of monitors.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looking for a second monitor, and I want the same model as my current monitor because I'm comically OCD. Is the Dell U2415 still a good option, or are there better ones now?

If it helps, the U2415 is 24.1", 1920 x 1200, refresh rate 60Hz.

EDIT: Decided to just get the U2419H, the newest mode of the above. Easy enough.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 9, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BurritoJustice posted:

A thing to note with the GSync module is that the new mini-LED screens need to use GSync modules for 1152-zone with VRR. The extra processing power is final useful for those displays. For this reason these newer top end panels will have reduced specs for the freesync models.

The module does also guarantee variable overdrive which is still not a given on a lot of monitors.

in your opinion, which version of the pg32uq/uqx do you think will get more manufacturer support, i.e. firmware updates and monitor adjustment profiles? The reference Nvidia Gsync module seems like a good bet to me since Asus pushes out another monitor every season, but at the same time the uq has what I'm hoping is a slightly better implementation of ELMB-Sync than before...?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Nomyth posted:

in your opinion, which version of the pg32uq/uqx do you think will get more manufacturer support, i.e. firmware updates and monitor adjustment profiles? The reference Nvidia Gsync module seems like a good bet to me since Asus pushes out another monitor every season, but at the same time the uq has what I'm hoping is a slightly better implementation of ELMB-Sync than before...?

I think the biggest reason to consider those panels is the 1152 zone backlight so the freesync models will be an afterthought. Firmware updates aren't very common for monitors though so it shouldn't factor too much into your decision.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Need a sanity check here: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gp950-b-gaming-monitor

I just got the notification that the 27gp950-p came up for order on LG.com 15 minutes ago. Is it already sold out, or is the website not updated?

Nevermind

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

eighty-four merc posted:

right and now Toyota doesn't use the Toughbook 31 anymore, and that's also on a proprietary single platform where they control everything. if you know for sure all the software you are going to need to use will run on the Toughbook, no problem. It's just not a guarantee by any means.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So this beast dropped:

The AORUS FV43U 43" 4K 144Hz HDR1000 Gaming Monitor

I've been waiting for it for a while now. Was expecting a much higher price than 999 USD tbh. Is this possibly the first non-lovely 4k 144hz gaming monitor (that could also be a beast for 4k media with its 43" size)?

Is there a monitor arm that even exists that could hold two of these guys either side by side or top/bottom? There has to be some kind of drawback.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 11, 2021

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

So this beast dropped:

The AORUS FV43U 43" 4K 144Hz HDR1000 Gaming Monitor

I've been waiting for it for a while now. Was expecting a much higher price than 999 USD tbh. Is this possibly the first non-lovely 4k 144hz gaming monitor (that could also be a beast for 4k media with its 43" size)?

Is there a monitor arm that even exists that could hold two of these guys either side by side or top/bottom? There has to be some kind of drawback.

It looks like a cheaper PG43UQ with HDMI 2.1. So expect massive ghosting, BGR subpixel layout (blurry text in Windows).

I did try a PG43UQ and I'm used to looking at VA and am pretty lenient but that monitor was just bad. Lots of ghosting and a subpar desktop experience. OK for media consumption, awful for high FPS games.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Work saw fit to provide me with a new iPhone 12, so now I have my first very own OLED screen. It... kinda sucks? Like, it has more PPI than my old iPhone 8 but it's not noticeably sharper. I suppose the contrast is better but I don't notice that very much. What I do notice though is a very obvious and unpleasant color shifting effect that appears as soon as you look at the screen even slightly off axis. It's not like the contrast loss on old TN garbage, instead there's a pronounced hue shift, mostly towards blue. Are all OLED's like this or is this just an Apple thing?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That is normal for OLED, because the angle light is emitted at is naturally wider on shorter wavelengths. It's not normally that noticeable though. I don't think Apple uses LG OLEDs, and LG is clearly ahead of everyone else in the OLED space.

OLED isn't meant to look sharper, the main advantage is really good contrast. For phones, there can also be power efficiency advantages, since you only have to light the pixels you want lit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dilemma:

I used to have an Acer XB321HK, which was a fantastic monitor. (Until the AC/DC transformer fried itself because they cheaped out and used an absolutely garbage transformer that got hot enough to separate the PCB it was embedded in. Acer wanted $newmonitor$ to fix a $9 transformer, gently caress you forever Acer.) In the interim I've been using my ancient Asus VG278 (which is a 120hz monitor,) however it doesn't have DP input and my 3090 doesn't have a DVI output, which means that I have a beastly computer driving a 1080p monitor that cant run at more than 60hz, because I'm forced to use HDMI1.4.

I'd like to get back to a 4k 32" display without spending $1000 again, though I'd be willing to if the display was amazing. It seems like there's a hole in the market though, where everyone skips 32" displays and goes right from 27" to gently caress-off-huge. Any models I should be looking at particularly? Requirements are 4k, more than 60hz, freesync/gsync, and 32" display. It doesn't even HAVE to be IPS, thought that would be preferable. I'd also prefer to never give Acer another dollar.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A lot of people are waiting on the same thing, <$1k 32" 4k displays. They should be out soon-ish. Probably still 6+ months until we know if they're any good or not, though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

K8.0 posted:

A lot of people are waiting on the same thing, <$1k 32" 4k displays. They should be out soon-ish. Probably still 6+ months until we know if they're any good or not, though.

:same:

This is my end goal. Some of them even have freaking built-in KVMs! :krad:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

TheFluff posted:

Work saw fit to provide me with a new iPhone 12, so now I have my first very own OLED screen. It... kinda sucks? Like, it has more PPI than my old iPhone 8 but it's not noticeably sharper. I suppose the contrast is better but I don't notice that very much. What I do notice though is a very obvious and unpleasant color shifting effect that appears as soon as you look at the screen even slightly off axis. It's not like the contrast loss on old TN garbage, instead there's a pronounced hue shift, mostly towards blue. Are all OLED's like this or is this just an Apple thing?

I am very glad my little peasant eyes can’t really tell the difference between any of these things.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You guys ever gonna update the OP? Or do I have to scan the last 50 pages to get a good cheapo 4K 24"-27" monitor recommendation for at least 60 - 75 Hz?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Search 4k IPS on Amazon. There are tons of 27" 4k IPS monitors and many of them are good values. Just buy whatever has the features you want + good reviews.

High refresh 4k has really one decent option right now - the LG 27GN950 or 27GP950. There will probably be more later this year, but who knows how many will be good, and none of them will likely be good + cheap.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TheFluff posted:

A LCD pixel consists of 3 subpixels, but Pentile OLED on phones only has 2 subpixels per pixel. To my eyes OLED phones need at least a tier up in resolution to look as sharp as LCD phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a 32" 1440p 165Hz VA display now.

So will there be coming "the same, but on 4K" versions anytime soon?

I understand that displayport bandwidth is at least one problem with those 4K displays. I guess that issue is still not fixed in latest 3000 series?