Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is it true that in Destiny 2 magic is super broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Probably, a lot of bosses have some way to no-sell physical combos and there's an entire finicky subsystem around accuracy and SP. Magic always works except for one or two Barbatos fights (and even then the easiest way I found to win is creating an opening for the casters to go off when he can't counter). You could take that as "just cast lol" easily.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
It's not so much that magic is broken, it's just that the flow of combat more or less requires you to let your backline blast poo poo with magic in order to let your frontline actually begin/carry out combos. You can get around that if you go hard on increasing everyone's accuracy, but the way the fights normally go you end up holding the line for your time waifu or your crazy explosive-loving weirdo to break their guard and then you just sort of unleash all your extensions on them from there. It's pretty fun, but it's also not really much like any of the other games that I can think of.

Zone control is a very big thing in Destiny 2 in a way that doesn't really exist in the series generally. Rebirth has some of that to a lesser extent, but being 3-lines makes it feel really different.

e: vvvvv that's more or less the strategy that pops up organically, yeah. But you can make anyone do anything with the way the titles and equipment system works if you're feeling super dedicated to do it. Harold kinda sucks as a frontline no matter what, and Kyle will pretty much never be exciting as a backliner, but they're serviceable enough to get it done if you feel like it.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 8, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have heard that dominant endgame strategy is Harold and Reala blasting with spells (especially Harold and her Crazy Comet extensions), Kyle running physical interference to make sure nothing gets up to them, and then your choice of Nanaly or Judas as an extra spellcaster

Poor Loni

Junpei fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 8, 2021

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I'm thrilled to see movement on the Destiny 2 patch, I was thinking of giving that one a go in Japanese soon. Maybe I'll wait, then, since those screenshots are looking pretty tight.

Looking forward to their take on DC, as well. If they managed to hack in subtitles for battles for that one too, that would be pretty wild.

On our end, Leon's side of the story is completely translated, now, and Stahn's side is undergoing constant refinement based on feedback given by the community. The resident coding magicians have figured out how to insert skit titles without being constrained by hex limits, so those are in progress now at last, so that's exciting.

This is a pretty great time to be a classic Tales fan!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah I just heard that Destiny 2 was up there with Eternia and Rebirth as "Tales games where Magic is the best", as compared to games like Legendia where physicals are great and magic sucks

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Legendia's indignation makes me laugh when I think about it. It's got the full incantation with all the gravitas you could want, and then it's just a dinky little blip with a massive thunk and it's great. I think the best strategies in ToL were like, make Chloe freeze counter things and have Senel pile drive them? It's been a while since I played it. But yeah, Rebirth and Destiny 2 have very nice feeling magic, especially cuz they both play around with magic extentions (well, in Rebirth they're ougis and they work kinda different but they feel nice to use in a similar way).

I think the only game that really comes close to the feeling is Mags in Berseria being able to just hyper-chain spells while counterspelling and turning the whole arena into a flaming hellscape. Overlimit Rita feels really cheap, but I guess tidal wave spam kind of amounts to the same thing in practice -- just way less fun to do imo.

Oh, also, Loni didn't get mentioned because he can do either long-range or short-range really well, but not as well as Judas, so he often gets sidelined for that reason. His ability to heal isn't usually needed since Harold and Reala are better at it, and his combos (while the best) are slower than the other two boys.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are very few games where Indignation feels like it's worth the gravitas. Phantasia (for Sonna Banaka reasons), Abyss, Vesperia (Because it's a mystic arte), maybe Symphonia but I may be mistaking it for Indignation Judgement.

I distinctly remember being incredibly disappointed in Graces' indignation.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
MA Indignations don't count, Destiny's is the best because it's got this windup where the sky goes dark and then it hits with an absolute bang.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Hellioning posted:

There are very few games where Indignation feels like it's worth the gravitas. Phantasia (for Sonna Banaka reasons), Abyss, Vesperia (Because it's a mystic arte), maybe Symphonia but I may be mistaking it for Indignation Judgement.

The Indignation in Zestiria is extremely Top Tier.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Hellioning posted:

My personal favorite Indignation is Destiny R's version, where it does a color negative ... thing. It looks super cool and it's great. I'd also give a special shout out to Zestiria's version if not for the fact that the fight it's a part of is just awful. The lead up where you hear the incantation slowly building up in the background is terrific, and you get a kind of "wait, is that? No way" feeling, but everything else about the fight is a horrible slog.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ershalim posted:

My personal favorite Indignation is Destiny R's version, where it does a color negative ... thing. It looks super cool and it's great. I'd also give a special shout out to Zestiria's version if not for the fact that the fight it's a part of is just awful. The lead up where you hear the incantation slowly building up in the background is terrific, and you get a kind of "wait, is that? No way" feeling, but everything else about the fight is a horrible slog.

YES

I agree with the Zesteria comment so much

Patrick Seitz absolutely sells the HELL out of that incantation as Heldalf

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei posted:

Is it true that in Destiny 2 magic is super broken?

Thought you were talking about FPS Destiny at first and that your post had gotten mixed up across threads

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
lol I don't even play that game

interesting question I just thought of-do you think that Healing Circle and Revitalize got stronger when the series jumped to 3D, since now they have a big circular area to effect rather than just a section of a 2d plane?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Junpei posted:

interesting question I just thought of-do you think that Healing Circle and Revitalize got stronger when the series jumped to 3D, since now they have a big circular area to effect rather than just a section of a 2d plane?

That would depend on how arena area scaled up in relation, if the arena area was twice as long as the healing zone before the transition, the equivalent healing circle is taking up only a quarter of the area of the same arena in 3d

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Junpei posted:

Why on earth would a third dimension help you get more characters? In 2D, the odds are better that your front line is in the same neighborhood: in the front, where the enemies are. In 3D, battles are more prone to splinter off across the entire field. And if it's a boss, everyone's in the same place whether there's a third dimension or not.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also healing circle did not exist until the series had already jumped to 3d

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Berseria was one of the only two jrpgers I liked enough to play the whole way through, what are the chances that the new game will be similar?
I watched the trailer and that didn't look very interesting. Seemed to go back to the "killing god with the power of friendship" which puts me to sleep.

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked at the key stuff credited for Berseria and Arise and there was no overlap at all, as far as I could see, so the new game is probably not for me.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 9, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

To be fair a god was killed in Berseria and i'd say friendship was involved in that.

Though yeah, if Berseria's the only jrpg you're into and you just want more like that Arise doesn't seem to share a whole lot of DNA from the pre-release stuff.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Amppelix posted:

Also healing circle did not exist until the series had already jumped to 3d

Resurrection was an area heal in Eternia and Destiny 2.

But still, the whole idea of an area spell is that it doesn't have more area to hit, the enemies have more other area to be in.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Cautiously interested in Arise. Hope it turns out well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lol my Tempest save got eaten. Probably a blessing in disguise though, because man I don't think I have it in me to power through the same few hours of this game again.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
putting aside Tempest's awful gameplay, is the story actually any good? I mean I've heard that it's kind of a Rebirth retread what with human/beastman racism and such, but I've never heard anyone say anything about it that isn't just "ugh the gameplay sucks"

I like Caius's design, at least

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not even finished

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is Legendia decent? I never played it even though I got the other English Tales game from around that time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I decided to play Hearts R instead and uh wow even 20 minutes in it sure is a localization.

Ethiser posted:

Is Legendia decent? I never played it even though I got the other English Tales game from around that time.
The combat was kind of janky even at the time, and the English version not having the Character Quests dubbed is a huge oversight. Graphically its not one of the better looking games of the era either.

Still, the story does some kind of weird and neat things, and the soundtrack is easily one of the best in the franchise; you can and WILL sing when the birds chirp.

Basically if you're getting it cheap or emulating I think its worth taking a look at despite legitimate issues it does have.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legendia is rough but if you're gonna play a rough but interesting tales game it's definitely better than uh, innocence ds

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ethiser posted:

No. The combat is bad and the music is forgettable. Everyone says the music is the best part of Legendia but it was just there.

The story is neat I guess if you actually finish the whole game, but not worth slogging through it imo.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HO HAH EAT THIS.

Seriously though the only good things are STELLLLLAAAAAA being one of the best Tales Screams and the irony of having the guy with the giant hammer being one of your primary mages. And maybe the fact that Senel is one of the first non-sword Tales hero (maybe the first?)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Well thread, it seems you were right about Berseria, cause I sat down to finally try it out today and then it was approximately 5 hours later and I forgot about dinner. Knowing me, I'll never actually finish it, but drat I was not expecting to play that much in one go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

HO HAH EAT THIS.

Seriously though the only good things are STELLLLLAAAAAA being one of the best Tales Screams and the irony of having the guy with the giant hammer being one of your primary mages. And maybe the fact that Senel is one of the first non-sword Tales hero (maybe the first?)
Reid could use axes and spent a significant amount of the game with them as his best equip options, but he's always using swords in crossover games and such and his best weapons are swords. Everyone else is swords, yeah.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

Reid could use axes and spent a significant amount of the game with them as his best equip options, but he's always using swords in crossover games and such and his best weapons are swords. Everyone else is swords, yeah.

Cress also could equip axes as well as lances and polearms

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It would be pretty sick if they brought that back, like have Demon Fang be a normal boring shockwave no one uses once they learn literally anything else when you have a sword equipped, transform into Fierce Demon Fang with an axe and a flying weaker/faster shockwave with a spear, and so on with the normal Tales Swordguy artes.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Amppelix posted:

yeah like Xillia is the last game with a traditional actually powerful healer who can pretty much full heal the party with one spell in the endgame. all the aoe heals are really tiny now and i doubt they'd go back to how it was.

I'm just glad it looks like healing spells are going back to being worth a drat, they were absolutly useless in Berseria the farther up in difficulty you went it was just annoying and bad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I thought that was cool actually, made me turn off all healing spells and focus on offense.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, i actually like the way Berseria handles healing more than most games; you gain big chunks of HP back by using your special move so even ignoring how busted Consume Claw is you just have to remember to burn a charge sometimes to heal up instead of hoarding them like elixirs.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I thought that was cool actually, made me turn off all healing spells and focus on offense.
but then why do they exist if they're bad

if you want a game with a different way of self-sustain don't put useless heal spells into it to trick people

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Amppelix posted:

For the normal difficulties where they're not bad?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Berseria smacking healing on higher difficulties is rad since the game is so offence heavy it’s good that it pushes the player to commit to going all in on it. Kill or be killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

if you want a game with a different way of self-sustain don't put useless heal spells into it to trick people

idk i dont think the healing spells are useless, they cant compete with enemy damage output on higher difficulties but if a person gets smacked and backs off the heal is nice to give them some margin for error when they go back in. its not a trick or anything, its not like every character has healing spells or theres some opportunity cost to using them, ai laphicet just tosses them out occasionally.