Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's some beardy idiot whining that SC6 is apparently a cashgrab and I wasn't giving him any ad pennies so I assume he said something as stupid as his clickbait title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Saoshyant posted:

This is how you do tier lists and bans: the coffee shop owner puts a sign telling you what characters you can't use to beat him

every time i get reminded of the central/south american snk dominance i love the fgc a lil more

idk why it makes me smile so much but it rules really hard

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

It's some beardy idiot whining that SC6 is apparently a cashgrab and I wasn't giving him any ad pennies so I assume he said something as stupid as his clickbait title.

Is it Aris? It's Aris isn't it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Is it Aris? It's Aris isn't it

Nah, it's some white dude wearing a dumb outfit in the thumbnail.
(If armenians are considered 'white' that's my bad but still, not Aris, his beard's nowhere near as powerful for one thing)

E: Whoever this idiot is, apparently condemning the whole game over singleplayer content or something like that.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 13, 2021

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Having not seen this review, I will say that soul calibur 6 launched with the smallest roster in the series since the original goddamn soul calibur from 1998 (and it still only tied with it) and having a ton of dlc that's just "create a character parts we ported over from the previous two games, but not even all of them" is a dick move.

Yeah yeah I'm sure their budget was whatever scraps fell on the ground at the tekken office, that doesn't mean loading up a game and having a substantial chunk of the roster be empty spaces that you open up by spending money feels any less lovely just because I empathize with okubo-san.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I was gonna post about how it’s annoying that people were talking about the review but not just linking the drat thing but yeah that thumbnail makes me appreciate you all for not providing me a link I might accidentally click on in a fit of delirium.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh that's shadiversity I think. I watch a lot of historical sword stuff (really just Matt "Schola Gladiatoria" Easton since he's an actual historical arms dealer and has access to a load of cool poo poo) and every once in a while one of his videos will pop up in my recommends and he's just so loving annoying. He's way too loud high-energy and he's one of those LARP guys who just cannot turn it off, ever.

Gutcruncher posted:

I was gonna post about how it’s annoying that people were talking about the review but not just linking the drat thing

yeah this was going to be my post, he's not going to loving track you down through backlinks and call you out in the thread you weenies just link the loving video lol

darealkooky posted:

and having a ton of dlc that's just "create a character parts we ported over from the previous two games, but not even all of them" is a dick move.

this annoys the poo poo out of me, that and the general low quality of the old create-a-character parts. Just because they're supposed to be simple doesn't mean they have to look bad lol

don't we have like another character coming? I can't remember.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 13, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Babe Magnet posted:

oh that's shadiversity I think. I watch a lot of historical sword stuff (really just Matt "Schola Gladiatoria" Easton since he's an actual historical arms dealer and has access to a load of cool poo poo) and every once in a while one of his videos will pop up in my recommends and he's just so loving annoying. He's way too loud high-energy and he's one of those LARP guys who just cannot turn it off, ever.

yeah this was going to be my post, he's not going to loving track you down through backlinks and call you out in the thread you weenies just link the loving video lol

this annoys the poo poo out of me, that and the general low quality of the old create-a-character parts. Just because they're supposed to be simple doesn't mean they have to look bad lol

don't we have like another character coming? I can't remember.

Nope, Hwang was the last of the season

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TulliusCicero posted:

MissX For Women's team dlc cowards :colbert:

In all seriousness give us May Lee and Hinako back

Where. Is. My. Kasumi. Todoh?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

https://youtu.be/ezZl8WHKseQ

Leona looking sick as always.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ROFL Octopus posted:

Called it, but can't say I'm not disappointed it wasn't Kasumi as a curveball

That said, Leona is ripped holy poo poo. Those abs :swoon:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Commissar Ken posted:

Where. Is. My. Kasumi. Todoh?

Out there schooling fools and telling them to come back when they grow up.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Boo

She does look cool though so I can't complain

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry if you don't like Leona. Guess you can't appreciate the finer things in life like somehow doing a sword duel running slash with your hand

TulliusCicero posted:

That said, Leona is ripped holy poo poo. Those abs :swoon:

Haha the abs are the thing I noticed too. Like hell yeah, get that core strength to make a burning letter V and turn your hair different colors

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

ROFL Octopus posted:

She gets an Orochi powerup that doesn't have her screaming incoherently?

Lame.

God she's so cool.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Nope, Hwang was the last of the season

lmao I forgot about Hwang

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

They made Hwang pretty cool in 6 at least.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

God I loving hate SFV why did I play 70 hours of it before finally moving on.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 13, 2021

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

God I loving hate SFV why did I play 70 hours of it before finally moving on.

Maybe you need to stop lying to yourself.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

The issue I have with this is that while I see how grinding for currency in MKDA would be very tedious, you don't have to shell any actual money in order to do it.

It's like, I would prefer to make a single $60 (or less) purchase that has everything, rather than pay $60 for the game, then spend another $60 for the extra characters and customization content and frame data display mode and so on.

No one responded to this but that's not really what's happening. Like yes it is what's happening the case of day 1 DLC and that's awful but most DLC characters are developed after the game actually releases. It's the same idea as paying more for Brood War despite you already having bought Starcraft.

Babe Magnet posted:

There's been points where I've had HEMA poo poo pop up in my Youtube feed in the past and my impression is that Matt Easton is well educated and actually studies history, Skallagrim practices HEMA seriously but doesn't have as much of a historical background, and Shadiversity is a neckbeard who doesn't really have any idea what he's talking about but he'll say dumb poo poo that confirms nerd biases.

Like the only Shadiversity video I remember watching is him talking about dumb fantasy boob plate and saying "well no one actually made armor for women because they weren't expected to fight but men had dumb armor decisions that weren't actually useful like the famous armor codpiece so if there was an actual woman knight who could get armor commissioned she'd probably have commissioned boobplate, ergo the fantasy boobplate is actually historically justifiable!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is the strive beta this week using the same client on psn or is it a different file to download?

stratego
May 6, 2007

I am hype for new KOF. I really dislike the air-wave / light-bending explosion effects. Also, all the supers need the background to darken.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Real hurthling! posted:

Is the strive beta this week using the same client on psn or is it a different file to download?

I hope it's the same because I just re-downloaded it

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Same client, should update sometime today

Barudak
May 7, 2007

stratego posted:

I am hype for new KOF. I really dislike the air-wave / light-bending explosion effects. Also, all the supers need the background to darken.

If your super doesn't darken the screen, show the character portrait huge, and give exactly enough time for an onlooker to say "oh shiiiiii-" before it connects is it even a super?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

which is loving cowardice. let the sf2 characters be middle aged already, it's fine. They get to be the cool old dudes now, thats an action movie staple.

come on capcom, you literally just released RE Village and you're sailing to the caymans in a yacht made of mommy money. you're telling me you *can't* market early 40s Chun Li????

yeahhh that money's going straight to the CEO's Wine Vinyard instead of any even distribution between all the low-level Devs, sorry :smith:

as for the other, laziness. just because a few dorks screeched in the 90s about the lack of SF2 reps in SF3NG:bang:

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Street Fighter II sold millions of copies and Street Fighter 3's sales were in the tens of thousands at best so I don't think it was "a few dorks"

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I can't find any solid information on how much SF3 sold outside of extremely anemic arcade sales while the playstation version of Alpha 3 alone is still in capcom's top selling games it's not hard to see why they looked back instead of pushing the designs forward.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its ok game devs, time doesn't need to move forward in your game series. Ryu can be 28 forever and go on 37 different life changing fighting tournaments

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
just keep the character's visual designs close enough to be recognizable and put them into different time periods and contexts with no explanation

Victorian Ryu. Caveman Ryu. Android Ryu.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

SLUM KING posted:

Street Fighter II sold millions of copies and Street Fighter 3's sales were in the tens of thousands at best so I don't think it was "a few dorks"

street fighter 3 and its first sequel being the least interesting street fighter games I've ever played, even more than street fighter the movie, probably did more for that games sales than not having guile and chun li in it (that was just icing on the cake).
It's really easy to forget that "third strike" wasn't just a cool subtitle but a pretty serious gameplay/roster/asthetic overhaul for what was a very wack game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was two whole years before SF3 even appeared on a home console and that console was the Dreamcast so I don't think the character roster is entirely to blame here. If you lived in the US and didn't live near an arcade that had SF3 machines you probably weren't even aware that it existed.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Its ok game devs, time doesn't need to move forward in your game series. Ryu can be 28 forever and go on 37 different life changing fighting tournaments

This but unironically, I'm down for dream match games going forward with increasingly ridiculous reasons

Then again I don't think I've touch the story/single player modes in a fighting game since SFIV so I'm definitely not the target audience here.

One of these days I'll play the Mortal Kombat story..

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ROFL Octopus posted:

Her hands are so big

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Even NRS-era MK stories are mostly time travel nonsense and they'll keep going back to the 123 well forever no matter how often they threaten to reboot for real.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

just keep the character's visual designs close enough to be recognizable and put them into different time periods and contexts with no explanation

Victorian Ryu. Caveman Ryu. Android Ryu.

Ah, the soul calibur style.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SLUM KING posted:

Possibly not even in the tens of thousands, arcade-wise. According to Akiman, Street Fighter 3 sold around 1000 arcade boards in Japan (when 3000 was considered a success). Former international sales staff are unable to agree on how many it sold elsewhere, but probably only a couple of thousand more, with possibly just 300 units sold in the US - a tenth of what Marvel vs Capcom 1 did!

SF3 was a pretty monumental flop, and it's kind of stunning that it was allowed to be further iterated upon into Third Strike, but those CPS3 arcade boards were pretty expensive so I guess they needed to make use of 'em.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

anime was right posted:

when i entered a tournament at a place called "anime castle" the TO told us that "urine is banned"

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
A lot of it was just CPS3 flopped hard, especially outside Japan where nobody else knew what a loving Jojo was so the board basically existed for SF3 and that was it. It also didn't get a decent home port outside Japan until SF Anniversary Collection on PS2 in 2004 unless you had a Dreamcast and bought one of the very tiny print run of 3S (or more likely, just pirated it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

GG Strive beta dropping again this weekend, right?