Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I need to catch up on the comic, but it's got a bunch of good side characters so far. Rough and Tumble are a decent set of henchmen. Dr Starline is basically in the same mold as Snivelly and Grimer, so I guess giving Eggman a sidekick is just Sonic comic tradition now! And of course they immediately brought Blaze back, because why would you ever get rid of her.

Not just in the comics, literally every Sonic cartoon except maybe the OVA (unless you want to count Metal Sonic, though if not he still usually had Sara around him) has given Eggman/Robotnik a sidekick of some kind.

Hell, it’s even happened in the games now with the addition of Orbot and Cubot in Colors (though the former technically debuted in Unleashed first).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It makes sense, really. If you want to have any scenes showing what Robotnik is up to that isn't directly fighting the heroes, you need to give him someone to monologue at.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sharrrk posted:

Infinite is the best part of forces maybe. loser dweeb who gets pwned epicly by shadow the hedgehog and throws a hissy fit over it makes for a fun villain IMO. and whisper rules too. i need to get back to reading the comics, i broke away for a while so i could build up a backlog to go through

Infinite's song kicks rear end

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Macaluso posted:

Infinite's song kicks rear end

It's the edgiest loving thing ever particularly because the lyrics literally refer to him as "the sharpest of blades".

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Larryb posted:

Is their personal comic any good then?

Yeah, it's really good. Very well written, lots of pathos, and they're both such fun characters. Solid read.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Kurieg posted:

It's the edgiest loving thing ever particularly because the lyrics literally refer to him as "the sharpest of blades".

WHEN EVERYTHING YOU KNOW HAS COME AND GONE,
ONLY SCARS REMAIN OF WHO I WAS

God, I love this song.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Infinite was criminally wasted and they clearly wanted to do more with him. He literally just fucks off out of the game near the end and never appears again.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Infinite was criminally wasted and they clearly wanted to do more with him. He literally just fucks off out of the game near the end and never appears again.

Yeah, Sonic Forces as a whole felt like something half-done at best that got rushed together at the last second, wonder when we'll figure out what happened to it, since by now it's pretty clear what hosed up 2006 (team got cut in half twice, had to meet Christmas deadline due to deal with Microsoft)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kurieg posted:

I am the tallest of mountains
I am the roughest of waves
I'm the toughest of terrors
I AM THE DARKEST OF DAYS

and

And if you're messin with me
I am a DANGEROUS WEAPON
I am the sharpest of blades
I'll cut you DOWN IN A SECOND

are just so good

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If the next game doesn't have at least two unabashed buttrock songs then I am going to be extremely unhappy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Macaluso posted:

I am the tallest of mountains
I am the roughest of waves
I'm the toughest of terrors
I AM THE DARKEST OF DAYS

and

And if you're messin with me
I am a DANGEROUS WEAPON
I am the sharpest of blades
I'll cut you DOWN IN A SECOND

are just so good

This is why Forces is my favorite Sonic game.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
While you were eating chilli dogs, I became the sharpest of blades

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

An absolute waste of Liam O'Brien.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/King_Seda/status/1392678829576101889?s=19

https://twitter.com/King_Seda/status/1392683083699298312?s=19

https://twitter.com/King_Seda/status/1392685669714120707?s=19

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean PSO2: NGS is coming out in a few months and PSO2 had in game concerts starring real people years before Fortnite tried it.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

How does one go about reading the IDW comics anyway, can I just go to their website and pay a sub to read through them all or what?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Dabir posted:

I mean PSO2: NGS is coming out in a few months and PSO2 had in game concerts starring real people years before Fortnite tried it.

I'm sorry to tell you this but Hatsune Miku isn't real :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Skeletome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cCHloVvxJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPA6X2bR2A

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skeletome posted:

But then who invented Minecraft?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I cant believe sega actually mentions jet set radio in any capacity lol

Veotax
May 16, 2006

A Cup of Ramen posted:

How does one go about reading the IDW comics anyway, can I just go to their website and pay a sub to read through them all or what?

I buy them through Comixology, can read stuff brought there on the website or in an app. They're owned by Amazon so I think there might be some kind of Kindle integration?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

ArfJason posted:

I cant believe sega actually mentions jet set radio in any capacity lol

I love it and want something like it back dearly

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckQom8gTvA Good news! it even has music from Naganuma

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Skeletome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckQom8gTvA Good news! it even has music from Naganuma
I love how the trailer opens with the character chosing a track credited to Naganuma on their phone lol.

They better not gently caress this one up, I want Bomb Rush Cyberfunk to be extremely good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah ive been following brc for a bit now. i hope its good. both lethal leagues were sick as gently caress so i have faith in team reptile

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Skeletome posted:

Oh hell yes

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ArfJason posted:

yeah ive been following brc for a bit now. i hope its good. both lethal leagues were sick as gently caress so i have faith in team reptile
Give them the JSR IP so we can have a Formal SEGA Relationship and get Sonic characters in the next Lethal League

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

I've been reading them for free by borrowing digital eBooks from my library via the Libby app. It works great and they look beautiful on my iPad.

The downside of course is they don't have the most recent stuff I guess? But I'm on volume 5 or 6 now and going through them slowly.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

GDQ Hotfix had a bunch of interesting Sonic speedrun categories. It's great if you want to see the games being played without just skipping past most of the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_qx0kzG_wI&t=2243s

This shows why Final Rush is one of my favourite levels. The entire run is really impressive.

I've waited almost 20 years for just one more game that uses this movement. It's hard to enjoy any of the later 3D Sonic games when I'd have so much more fun if they used SA2's physics. It took about 15 years for the Kirby series to bring back Super Star's gameplay and for Kingdom Hearts to go back to the KHII style of combat.

I actually really like when series take big risks with their mainline games, because sometimes the most divisive games turn out to be my favourites. We wouldn't have SA2 if they didn't treat it like the last Sonic game they might ever make. But this just leaves some fans waiting for years for the series to give them what they used to like.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^^^
Never seen an all emlems run before, bookmarking that for later, thanks for sharing.

ArfJason posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't realise they have games out already. Leathal league looks the part for sure. The song in the trailer I watched I'm already familiar with as a custom track in modded Beatsaber, had no clue where it actually came from lol. Funky fresh beat!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'll have to revisit Final Rush. When I was a teen, I thought it was awful and hoped it would end quickly.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

^^^^^
Never seen an all emlems run before, bookmarking that for later, thanks for sharing.

Oh poo poo I didn't realise they have games out already. Leathal league looks the part for sure. The song in the trailer I watched I'm already familiar with as a custom track in modded Beatsaber, had no clue where it actually came from lol. Funky fresh beat!

lethal league og was fine but lacked a certain something.

lethal league blaze nailed it. I still think it could use a bit more extra mechanics but its solid as hell rn, and very fun

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Final Rush is fine until you get to Knuckles, and then you're hosed if you didn't get the secret upgrade ten hours earlier

Unless you did get the upgrade, then it's just tedious

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

final rush is the final level in hero story. you're thinking of cannon's core. and you don't need knuckles's upgrade for his part it just makes it easier

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Final Rush is fine until you get to Knuckles, and then you're hosed if you didn't get the secret upgrade ten hours earlier

Unless you did get the upgrade, then it's just tedious

I had a tough time with Cannon’s Core as a kid, but now I really enjoy it. I’d still struggle without the air necklace though.

https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Adventure_2_(Dreamcast)#Missing_Cannon_Core_Tracks

The music is also fantastic. There were originally going to be different tracks for all 5 characters, but it got trimmed down to 3.

You can sometimes tell when things changed during development just because the stage’s music doesn’t match the character. Like early screenshots showing Sonic in Sky Rail.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The most entertainment I got from Infinite was hyping up the resolution to his story arc on my friend's Forces stream just to see the light fade from his eyes as the ending dropped him back on the title screen.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

sharrrk posted:

final rush is the final level in hero story. you're thinking of cannon's core. and you don't need knuckles's upgrade for his part it just makes it easier

Oh, well in that case it's fine. I like that the rails go all different ways

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When the dreamcast version came out, I beat Cannon's Core without the necklace. I didn't even know it existed. It wasn't hard without it. :smuggo:

I still remember my best friend calling me on the phone and yelling at me when he got there, because he thought I used a code or something to get through Knuckles' part.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

They do give you bubbles in the corner of the room...

But also I was (am) poo poo at video games as a kid (now) and couldn't even get through to Knuckles' part of Cannon Core until well after I'd hosed around in the other stages enough to accidentally stumble on the necklace.

It was the mech sections. I kept dying at the part with Tails where you had to shoot the door while hovering over a pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Ninja_Risu/status/1395156544367603712