Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a culture of toxic masculinity means that a bunch of lovely people can't see that Rick is a sad, gross little man and instead are like "yes, it is difficult to be a genius who lives in a spare room and refuses to love openly"

fake edit:
To be fair, you have to have a lot of emotional intelligence to understand Rick and Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
The best thing to come from Rick and Morty is this drunk couple arguing over it in an Uber.

https://soundcloud.com/toomuchwit/high_iq

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
The only Rick and Morty thing I've ever seen is that Simpsons intro they did, and while it seemed cool enough, the constant belching was just so off putting I never had the desire to watch any more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

All of Al Jean's twitter photos being extremely low quality is way funnier than anything in the actual show.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Al Jean's profile picture was taken the last time his show was good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fish and chips and dip posted:

The only Rick and Morty thing I've ever seen is that Simpsons intro they did, and while it seemed cool enough, the constant belching was just so off putting I never had the desire to watch any more.

And this is the Simpsons we're talking about, one-time belch capital of prime time.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/homersbestbits/status/1392562136677851141?s=21

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

While he may do horrible things and be an irredeemable jerk, the show's framing makes him appear cool and correct. Bojack (the show) does an excellent job of framing the things Bojak (the horse from horsin' around) does as being monstrous, cruel, and not something to aspire to. R&M may TELL you that Rick is bad, but then it SHOWS you him being cool and good.

This video does a better job explaining it than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-8ICfWsUVw

I had forgotten about this video but I'm glad you posted it because it sums it up perfectly. For me, once I noticed it it made the show harder to enjoy, even the first two seasons which I originally enjoyed a lot. This, and the overall mean spirited nature of all of it. Everyone being absolutely horrible to everyone else, or the nihilistic actions seen in the show, are only made worse by the fact that the show itself essentially says that being nice is for stupid people.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

The new one was a future one, with Werner Herzog playing a tarot reader doing the framing device. Sound familiar?

Lisa decides she doesn't want to go to college after feeling unfulfilled by getting into every college she applies to. Bart has abandoned the idea of going to college to become a Fruit Ninja professional. Remember Fruit Ninja? The phone game everyone loved like a loving decade ago?
That's pretty funny. I've been watching Mare of Easttown, and thought it was a nice small touch that the main character's (elderly) mother is always playing Fruit Ninja on her tablet.

You know, to illustrate that the character is old and out of touch.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I had forgotten about this video but I'm glad you posted it because it sums it up perfectly. For me, once I noticed it it made the show harder to enjoy, even the first two seasons which I originally enjoyed a lot. This, and the overall mean spirited nature of all of it. Everyone being absolutely horrible to everyone else, or the nihilistic actions seen in the show, are only made worse by the fact that the show itself essentially says that being nice is for stupid people.

Considering what pieces of poo poo it’s creators have been to various people in their lives, it does feel like at least partial self justification of their own behavior.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
One of my friends went to a Halloween party specifically to tell Roiland he didn't know who he was. Roiland's not a very well-liked boy.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdsomv-dYAc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Das Boo posted:

One of my friends went to a Halloween party specifically to tell Roiland he didn't know who he was. Roiland's not a very well-liked boy.

That's pathetic

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's pathetic

Nah, I'm trying to avoid too many details. Roiland had previously told a mutual he didn't know who she was and dumped a drink on her head. Didn't sit well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Das Boo posted:

Nah, I'm trying to avoid too many details. Roiland had previously told a mutual he didn't know who she was and dumped a drink on her head. Didn't sit well.

Everyone in this story sounds 4 years old

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yup, welcome to animation.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Zushio posted:

Honestly, the best way to experience the book is to watch the anime. At least that way you get some sick 80s hair metal.

Youtube Playlist

Thank you for posting this

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

why's jeremy clarkson writing for the simpsons now

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Das Boo posted:

...And the creepy texts and invitations to minors to spend time in his hotel room just became that much more believable.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

CodfishCartographer posted:

While he may do horrible things and be an irredeemable jerk, the show's framing makes him appear cool and correct. Bojack (the show) does an excellent job of framing the things Bojak (the horse from horsin' around) does as being monstrous, cruel, and not something to aspire to. R&M may TELL you that Rick is bad, but then it SHOWS you him being cool and good.

This video does a better job explaining it than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-8ICfWsUVw

That video is really well-researched and good, and it also has quashed any iota of curiosity I might have ever had about Rick & Morty whatsoever.

Also, Bojack Horseman is a decent show with a good premise, but I didn't find it entertaining or interesting enough to bother renewing my Netflix subscription. :shrug:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The purpose of comedy is not to impart moral messages and cultivate a positive world view in the viewer, which is not something I'd think I'd ever have to say in a Simpsons thread. Imagine this moralistic scolding over global warming stopping a comet destroying Springfield or Homer befriending a cheery supervillain, it's a terrible way of approaching media for adults.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Christ this video just gets worse and worse as it goes on.

Won't somebody please think of the manchildren?!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

multijoe posted:

Imagine this moralistic scolding over global warming stopping a comet destroying Springfield or Homer befriending a cheery supervillain

Yeah neither of these episodes are implicitly and repeatedly saying global warming and supervillainy are actually great and should be emulated so no one did that nor will they ever

You'd probably have a better point if you compared it to the endless moralistic scolding over Bart's behavior in the early 90s

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 13, 2021

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

multijoe posted:

The purpose of comedy is not to impart moral messages and cultivate a positive world view in the viewer, which is not something I'd think I'd ever have to say in a Simpsons thread. Imagine this moralistic scolding over global warming stopping a comet destroying Springfield or Homer befriending a cheery supervillain, it's a terrible way of approaching media for adults.
A lot of adults think Heisenberg is a freaking bad rear end with a bitch wife who won't let him have fun

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

multijoe posted:

Yeah exactly, I just wanna laugh, not build my worldview around the pickle man. if other people end up doing that, that's their problem imho

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

Yeah neither of these episodes are implicitly and repeatedly saying global warming and supervillainy are actually great and should be emulated so no one did that nor will they ever

You'd probably have a better point if you compared it to the endless moralistic scolding over Bart's behavior in the early 90s

Can you point to some stuff Rick does that the show says is great and should be emulated?

... no? Ah...

You could make a poo poo embarrassing video pointing out how The Simpsons makes awful behaviour cool easily. A lot of it would be from the Grimes episode. But you wouldn't do that because it's moronic. Like that YouTube video surely is

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Like, it makes zero difference if a piece of entertainment media is coded as "comedy", or if the person engaging with it is "an adult"; there is always a discourse of values happening between the audience and the thing they're consuming and no degree of It's All Just Jokes or Being Very Grown Up causes that to not be the case!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Global warming literally saves the city in Bart's Comet. But the concept that Rick N Morty is creating a generation of Reddit science guys and not just, y'know, attracting them is ridiculous and loving comic code poo poo, people are capable of consuming media without internalising it as part of their moral ideology.

pretty soft girl posted:

Well as you seem to realise, it's literally the same stuff: moral guardians fretting over the degenerate cartoon which doesn't portray the Good Values that should be engendered within society and will corrupt the impressionable youth with its wicked immorality

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

multijoe posted:

Global warming literally saves the city in Bart's Comet. But the concept that Rick N Morty is creating a generation of Reddit science guys and not just, y'know, attracting them is ridiculous and loving comic code poo poo, people are capable of consuming media without internalising it as part of their moral ideology.

Well as you seem to realise, it's literally the same stuff: moral guardians fretting over the degenerate cartoon which doesn't portray the Good Values that should be engendered within society and will corrupt the impressionable youth with its wicked immorality
lol I did wonder if this exchange was gonna move into people insisting that criticising entertainment media for affirming reactionary dogshit takes is the same as saying dungeons and dragons makes you a gay satanist but honestly I didn't expect it to happen this fast

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

multijoe posted:

I was more pointing out between your rapidly edited post and follow up post that if you'd taken like 2 seconds in your fervor to comment on the video you'd probably been able to come up with a better comparison than "one thing happened on an episode that literally no one complained about for a good reason"

Tbh I'm on the fence if media like this more influences or attracts shitlords, probably more the latter but if it was remotely quantifiable I would be curious about just how much stuff like Manbearpig shifted public discourse on global warming

Also the video does a pretty decent job breaking down why r&m/South Park rub me the wrong way and the simpsons and always sunny don't so eh? I'm not judging anyone for liking those shows but the underlying vibe he points out is what kinda makes them unenjoyable to me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pretty good posted:

lol I did wonder if this exchange was gonna move into people insisting that criticising entertainment media for affirming reactionary dogshit takes is the same as saying dungeons and dragons makes you a gay satanist but honestly I didn't expect it to happen this fast

So to follow this through, the only issue with the bad 90s type of scolds was that they were going after the wrong targets? Entertainment *should* be didactic and any depictions of bad people should always end with them getting their comeuppance?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

I was more pointing out between your rapidly edited post and follow up post that if you'd taken like 2 seconds in your fervor to comment on the video you'd probably been able to come up with a better comparison than "one thing happened on an episode that literally no one complained about for a good reason"

Tbh I'm on the fence if media like this more influences or attracts shitlords, probably more the latter but if it was remotely quantifiable I would be curious about just how much stuff like Manbearpig shifted public discourse on global warming

Also the video does a pretty decent job breaking down why r&m/South Park rub me the wrong way and the simpsons and always sunny don't so eh? I'm not judging anyone for liking those shows but the underlying vibe he points out is what kinda makes them unenjoyable to me

That's literally saying computer games cause mass shootings and horror films cause serial killers. Which isn't true

It's ok not to find a comedy show funny. People don't have to invent complicated takes to justify it, it's fine to not find something funny!

multijoe posted:

So to follow this through, the only issue with the bad 90s type of scolds was that they were going after the wrong targets? Entertainment *should* be didactic and any depictions of bad people should always end with them getting their comeuppance?

Obviously! How else would you learn the lesson?

Rick and Morty clearly needs He Man to show up at the end: We've all had a lot of fun today watching Rick become a pickle. But what's not fun is avoiding your pain by becoming a pickle!

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 13, 2021

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

People don't have to invent complicated takes to justify it, it's fine to not find something funny!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
bart makes his sister cry and then recognizes her pain and works to make her feel better
homer is stupid and cruel, but we are mocking him
rick is an edgelord and is the hero and smarter than everyone and good

we teach through stories and always have since we learned to talk

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

It's ok not to find a comedy show funny. People don't have to invent complicated takes to justify it, it's fine to not find something funny

??

No one ever said they aren't funny? Something can be funny and unpleasant simultaneously, I personally find r&m/South Park to be more unpleasant for the reasons presented compared to how funny I think they are but I've found both of them funny

If someone told me Always Sunny wasn't enjoyable for them for its history of ironic blackface or transphobic slurs I don't think my immediate take would be "they're making that up, they just don't think the funny show is funny"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

??

No one ever said they aren't funny? Something can be funny and unpleasant simultaneously, I personally find r&m/South Park to be more unpleasant for the reasons presented compared to how funny I think they are but I've found both of them funny

If someone told me Always Sunny wasn't enjoyable for them for its history of ironic blackface or transphobic slurs I don't think my immediate take would be "they're making that up, they just don't think the funny show is funny"

I agree with what you say regarding Always Sunny. But people are justifying not liking Rick and Morty (which is fine) with stuff that's not in the show. Like this...

Greg12 posted:

bart makes his sister cry and then recognizes her pain and works to make her feel better

Where are you getting "Rick is good" from?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan_Shore posted:

Can you point to some stuff Rick does that the show says is great and should be emulated?

... no? Ah...

You could make a poo poo embarrassing video pointing out how The Simpsons makes awful behaviour cool easily. A lot of it would be from the Grimes episode. But you wouldn't do that because it's moronic. Like that YouTube video surely is

Thank you for defending the honour of the pickle man

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rick & Morty is extremely cynical and mean-spirited, but it is also very self aware and clearly doing this on purpose. I don't think it's particularly reactionary, nihilistic maybe, but it also something that revels in being as absurd and creative as possible, which is the primary appeal for me at least.

I don't blame anyone for not vibing with it, but I generally don't think people are giving it enough credit. It's not the show's fault that the fanbase is so annoying, that's just kind of where the internet fandom wars have landed, and there are a lot of good shows you can say the same thing about at this point. Both Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon are loving nightmare people though, I won't deny that.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Greg12 posted:

Rick is smart and competent and dominates the galaxy. He is ruining his grandson's life, as of the latest season his daughter no longer respects him and his family no longer trusts him. Throughout the show his presence alone nearly tore his daughter's family apart until she started questioning her own abandonment issues he gave her.

Rick is only a space god to mindless assholes and mouth breathers who care that he can outsmart the government or beat some flavor of the week bad guy. His personal relationships are all a mess and nobody gives a poo poo about him.

edit: SEE I CAN DECONSTRUCT A SHOW TO SAY WHAT I WANT IT TO SO IT CAN MAKE MY POINT TOO! I ALSO HAVE A BACHELOR'S DEGREE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I like when Rick turned himself into a piclkle