Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

My Squarespace page is due for a renewal. I originally registered my domain through them. Is there a way to keep the domain name registered without paying for squarespace?

I don't need an active page, but I would still like to hold onto my domain name in case I change my mind later. What's the easiest most idiot proof way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

My Squarespace page is due for a renewal. I originally registered my domain through them. Is there a way to keep the domain name registered without paying for squarespace?

I don't need an active page, but I would still like to hold onto my domain name in case I change my mind later. What's the easiest most idiot proof way to do this?
The term for this is transfer a domain - see https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812338 - but basically choose another domain registrar and you can keep the domain there for just the cost of the domain itself. Namecheap is fine for this, there are a million others too.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I have had both Namecheap and GoDaddy. Vastly prefer Namecheap.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So I believe magnetic tape media are analog, meaning the strength of the magnetic field plays a role, not just its direction. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that)

I also know that in some cases (like google-sized cases) it's still very effective to store massive amounts of data on magnetic tape for backup or transfer to another facility.

So I'm wondering, when you're encoding digital info on a magnetic tape, do you get to take advantage of the analog nature of the medium to get better storage density? Much like how funky modem noises use pitches to more efficiently cram digital data into an audio signal, could you (and do they) encode something akin to modem noises onto magnetic tape for more efficient storage? Or does it end up being more efficient to just make it 0s and 1s and cram them as close together as you can?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

alnilam posted:

So I believe magnetic tape media are analog, meaning the strength of the magnetic field plays a role, not just its direction. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that)

I also know that in some cases (like google-sized cases) it's still very effective to store massive amounts of data on magnetic tape for backup or transfer to another facility.

So I'm wondering, when you're encoding digital info on a magnetic tape, do you get to take advantage of the analog nature of the medium to get better storage density? Much like how funky modem noises use pitches to more efficiently cram digital data into an audio signal, could you (and do they) encode something akin to modem noises onto magnetic tape for more efficient storage? Or does it end up being more efficient to just make it 0s and 1s and cram them as close together as you can?

I have no idea, but briefly looking I found these. The SO is a good read that's somewhat relevant.
https://dsp.stackexchange.com/questions/70700/why-can-so-little-digital-information-be-stored-on-a-cassette-tape

The term you want for encoding info into multiple amplitudes is this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation

I skimmed some IBM documentation for one of their tape libraries but I couldn't find much about the analog encoding process.
https://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245946.pdf

Generally speaking though any data compression or optimizations would be performed prior to being actually written to tape. After that, how is the compressed stream optimally written to tape? I have no idea. Probably a trade secret for the different manufacturers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
For magnetic media, it’s more efficient to make it all binary and then pack it as closely you can get away with without the bits spontaneously flipping each other. In media like tape that’s not rewritten at random, the magnetic domains can be packed somewhat tighter because you’re not worried about repeated nearby write operations corrupting your bits. Error‐correcting code is a must in any case, but at some point you’re spending more bits on ECC than you’re squeezing out of the increased density.

An example of a medium that does have a range of intensity that is converted to a digital value is flash memory with multi-level cels (MLC). The control circuits take up a relatively large amount of space on silicon. It’s more space and therefore cost‐efficient to have one capacitor store several bits and only have one set of control gates.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Platystemon posted:

For magnetic media, it’s more efficient to make it all binary and then pack it as closely you can get away with without the bits spontaneously flipping each other.

If you could vary the frequency to create four distinct states, couldn't you store twice the data compared to pure binary? (i.e, tone a = 00, tone b = 01, tone c = 10, tone d = 11)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

If you could vary the frequency to create four distinct states, couldn't you store twice the data compared to pure binary? (i.e, tone a = 00, tone b = 01, tone c = 10, tone d = 11)

This is basically what i was getting at, only i think the right word would be amplitude, not frequency. -100% field strength = 00, -50% field strength = 01, +50% field strength = 10, +100% field strength = 11. Depending on how reliably you can tell one field strength from another, you could use finer spacing than that and encode a whole lot of bits into one little spot.

From the other answers it sounds like you can still get higher density and fidelity using a different kind of tape with only binary bits though. I was just curious when it occurred to me that music tapes are analog and use amplitude in their signal encoding.

Also holy crap at the level of dickish :goonsay: in some of the responses to that stackexchange question

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

alnilam posted:

Also holy crap at the level of dickish :goonsay: in some of the responses to that stackexchange question

yeah DSP nerds

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

smackfu posted:

Yeah, there’s actually a minor “movement” to not have people who had confirmed COVID get the second shot because it’s allegedly all side effects with minimal benefits. I think this mattered more when there was a vaccine shortage.

The studies do back it up:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7924304/

The mention in there of COVID/first shot side effects being worse than no COVID/second shot side effects absolutely checked out for me, the first shot fuckin’ ruined me. I even got the fun “less than 1 in 10,000” blurry vision.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I wish we had this kind of thread for The Goon Doctor, since I have a small one that doesn't deserve its own topic.

What's a normal heart rate for someone when walking or briskly walking? Since my insomnia that I've been battling for the the past 4 months, I've been hyper conscious of my heart rate for better or worse. I'm usually in the mid-low 70s when sitting, but at work when I'm going from one end of the building to the other or even from the parking lot to the time clock it's around 120. It seems high, especially since my Fitbit classifies that as exercise. For reference I tend to walk faster than most people, I've been told I look like I'm walking with a purpose when I'm just casually walking

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I wish we had this kind of thread for The Goon Doctor, since I have a small one that doesn't deserve its own topic.

What's a normal heart rate for someone when walking or briskly walking? Since my insomnia that I've been battling for the the past 4 months, I've been hyper conscious of my heart rate for better or worse. I'm usually in the mid-low 70s when sitting, but at work when I'm going from one end of the building to the other or even from the parking lot to the time clock it's around 120. It seems high, especially since my Fitbit classifies that as exercise. For reference I tend to walk faster than most people, I've been told I look like I'm walking with a purpose when I'm just casually walking

120 isn't crazy for light cardio which is what fast walking is going to be. If you can walk at that pace and talk it doesn't matter what your heart rate is, you're fine.

Heart rates are insanely individual specific and how hard it feels like you're working is a much better guide than what ever number your watch shows. So in short don't worry about it unless it feels like you're having a heart attack.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm trying to get in touch with someone to remodel my bathroom and I don't know what I'm doing. What subforum/threads should I insert myself into? I have questions like: what's a reasonable amount of money I should expect to be spending? and what sort of questions I should be asking?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm trying to get in touch with someone to remodel my bathroom and I don't know what I'm doing. What subforum/threads should I insert myself into? I have questions like: what's a reasonable amount of money I should expect to be spending? and what sort of questions I should be asking?

The Fix It Fast thread in the DIY subforum is going to have the best density of people who know what they're talking about when it comes to home remodeling stuff. They can definitely help with planning and helping you find not-poo poo contractors. I'll warn you though that price is heavily dependent on location and what exactly you're trying to accomplish. A job that costs $5k in one place might cost $10k in another, just due to stuff like what the local market will bear and what the cost of living is. Also, construction materials (especially lumber) are very expensive right now due to a combination of a supply squeeze and high demand.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dazerbeams posted:

Hobbies, Crafts and Houses is the right forum but I don't know the specific thread to send you to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037

or

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774735

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

This is probably the best resource on the forums for bathroom remodeling:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What are the restrictions on accessing Lexis Nexis? I'm assuming a random person can't just sign up? Are there different security tiers in terms of what information you can look up?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

What are the restrictions on accessing Lexis Nexis? I'm assuming a random person can't just sign up? Are there different security tiers in terms of what information you can look up?
Pretty sure if you've got the cash you can sign up for any of it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

https://risk.nexis.com/AMLSolutions/help/DPPA_Permissible_Use.htm

https://risk.nexis.com/AMLSolutions/help/GLBA_Permissible_Use.htm

You have to select from a list on both when you access it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To clarify, I meant all of Lexis Nexis' services, not just legal cases.

Those pages aren't loading in my browser for some reason, but I can see there are definitely some restrictions. I can only obtain an Accurint report on myself, not another person for example, and if I want to look up license numbers I have to contact a sales rep. Not sure what that entails.

So this doesn't look hilariously suspect, I'm asking because I got curious what kind of information journalists can find on the service and if they are restricted in any way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there etiquette or protocol for leaving messages on an answering machine? I need to contact a government person and they haven't called back in two days - do I just leave a message daily? Do I wait?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there etiquette or protocol for leaving messages on an answering machine? I need to contact a government person and they haven't called back in two days - do I just leave a message daily? Do I wait?

There's nothing official, but in my professional experience, every other day is a good frequency for making calls. Annoying enough that you are difficult to forget/ignore, but not so overwhelmingly annoying that you are going to make them spite you.

If given the option, always leave a message, but keep it brief. Include what day and time so they don't think it's a repeat message. "Hello, this is Strix, it's Wednesday at about 12:30, I'm calling in regards to getting my rear end cheeks laminated. I can be reached at 555-7176. Thanks."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

There's nothing official, but in my professional experience, every other day is a good frequency for making calls. Annoying enough that you are difficult to forget/ignore, but not so overwhelmingly annoying that you are going to make them spite you.

If given the option, always leave a message, but keep it brief. Include what day and time so they don't think it's a repeat message. "Hello, this is Strix, it's Wednesday at about 12:30, I'm calling in regards to getting my rear end cheeks laminated. I can be reached at 555-7176. Thanks."

That helps a lot, thank you. I'll call 'em tomorrow and write a script beforehand so I don't fumble and do the "my phone number is uhhhhh uh uh uh 555-555-5555" again :doh:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Make sure you're saying your name and number slowly and clearly, and spell your name if it's an uncommon one. They might actually be anxious to call you back but didn't quite catch the number or name.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If they're anything like I am at work it can also help to mention when you're available. Something like, "hey I called the other day regarding whatnots, my number is whatever, I'm available any time after 10" makes it way easier. Otherwise I agonize about the best time to call without waking anyone up or missing them because they're out to lunch or whatever. I don't know if federal government workers are anything like local government, but I know they make me wake up too goddamn early and on my lunch break I might as well be dead for all the luck you'll have trying to contact me, so my sense of when I can call people is warped.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Why are philips and slotted head drivers the standard for normal consumer use instead of square drivers

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think the Robertson screws were proprietary and there were legal battles around them, which the rest of the industry circumvented by using something else instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Slotted screws and drivers are extremely easy to make and have been around forever.

With the machine age, there was need for something better. Robertson was on the scene early, but he wouldn’t license his patents to manufacturers so they went to the first available alternative, Philips.

Yeah Philips is annoying for end users. For manufacturers, they work fine. They’re installing shiny new screws and never loosening them. Automation has pushed a move to Torx because they’re more amenable to handling by robots.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Wow I looked up that Robertson guy and everyone around that situation was a dick but just holding onto the patent while killing the product out of spite or whatever, what a shithead. Anyways since I discovered ball drivers for hex screws I just figured man, wouldn't it all be better with this kind of thing instead of a bit designed to break

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have no idea where to ask this.

What do black people think about Jimi Hendrix?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My guess is that black people, like all other people, are individuals and not a homogenous mass and so there will be a range of opinions. What a bizarre question. What do white people think about Donald Trump? What do blonde-Americans think about Eminem?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

White people love Eminem, what are you talking about?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To follow up on leaving messages: I wrote up a script and called and... got a person! And did a double-take but finally got to talk to a person about my issue. Phew!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What do I do with a small amount (half a gallon) of really old gasoline?

Back story: Three years ago I replaced my lawn mower with a new battery-powered one. Today while moving some stuff in the garage I discovered that the gas can, which I had used to fuel the old mower, still has about half a gallon left in it. I know gasoline goes bad over time, but some people on the Internet say that as long as you dilute it into a lot of fresh fuel, it's still perfectly usable. So is it okay to put it into my car's tank, perhaps spread out a little at a time over several fill-ups? Or would that just be taking chances for no good reason?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you’re on the east coast sell it on Craigs list but put it in a grocery bag first so people think it’s fresh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I wouldn’t risk it in my car. Not worth it.

Personally, what I would do is run it through a “white gas” stove or blowtorch. Most people don’t have those, though.

You may be able to dispose of it through the city or through a mechanic’s shop. Call and ask.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
why isn't 90s (or any) snopes on the wayback machine? i would have liked to go back and see the first site i visited regularly, before it became "debunking your racist aunt's facebook posts" :smith:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Back story: Three years ago I replaced my lawn mower with a new battery-powered one. Today while moving some stuff in the garage I discovered that the gas can, which I had used to fuel the old mower, still has about half a gallon left in it. I know gasoline goes bad over time, but some people on the Internet say that as long as you dilute it into a lot of fresh fuel, it's still perfectly usable. So is it okay to put it into my car's tank, perhaps spread out a little at a time over several fill-ups? Or would that just be taking chances for no good reason?

Spell your name in the street and set fire to it, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

nishi koichi posted:

why isn't 90s snopes on the wayback machine? i would have liked to go back and see the first site i visited regularly, before it became "debunking your racist aunt's facebook posts" :smith:

The owners probably opted out. I recall them having obnoxious javascript in an attempt to foil copy & paste from their pages.