Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I don't even know what it's supposed to do. I downloaded it last time I built a new pc and there....just wasn't any functionality.

if you back up your mac documents folder to icloud you can access it and transfer files to it in windows

i use it and it has worked well so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s just a shame it’s not near-instant like any other service

If it was icloud, I’d expect it the next day, and i’ve never had success using it for file transfer because of this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
google drive is nice and fast. I encode my videos on my pc to a folder in google drive and instantly it’s available on the phone app for me to get it

I browse to it on google drive on my phone.. can’t save to photos from here so have to “open in app”, it then downloads the file and I choose Files to open it in. interestingly enough if files had a problem like eg it was already in the middle of a task, the file is discarded and has to be downloaded again when you retry. I then open Files, browse to the video and can export it with “save video”.

google drive can save pictures directly but it can’t with videos.

used to be that the gold standard for transporting a few files was a hard object like a usb shaft or floppy distk but now there is no gold standard, just a bunch of multi step competing processes

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

google drive is nice and fast. I encode my videos on my pc to a folder in google drive and instantly it’s available on the phone app for me to get it

I browse to it on google drive on my phone.. can’t save to photos from here so have to “open in app”, it then downloads the file and I choose Files to open it in. interestingly enough if files had a problem like eg it was already in the middle of a task, the file is discarded and has to be downloaded again when you retry. I then open Files, browse to the video and can export it with “save video”.

google drive can save pictures directly but it can’t with videos.

used to be that the gold standard for transporting a few files was a hard object like a usb shaft or floppy distk but now there is no gold standard, just a bunch of multi step competing processes

i just pipe files to netcat

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

photos app is good cos it syncs across my devices super well and the widget in macos shows random cute photos of my kids

it also acts like a private facebook thing for my fam for all our irritating photos i dont want to put into zuck hellspace but do want to share with my parents in different cities

nice try.

in order to have kids you have to have sex and yospos is sex-less zone...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao today’s widget photo is a statue from pompeii i took at an exhibit

it makes me laugh every time i see it because it just looks so disgusted

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

if you back up your mac documents folder to icloud you can access it and transfer files to it in windows

i use it and it has worked well so far

i've used it for affinity files and it's good for that too. sync gets a bit slow when they go over 500mb but that could be a mix of my upload speed and icloud refreshing

maybe i'll try it with macos local icloud caching (in the sharing panel options) on and see if that cuts sync down. it'll cache on upload but idk if that means it respects that before it's been pushed to the cloud or if that interacts with the windows client for that matter

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
after the new mac os update my mbp keeps kernel panicking if i leave it asleep for too long

which is pretty funny actually

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I too wake up in a panic sometimes when I sleep

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
panicking when you sleep too long is pretty normal

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
lol after i updated ios swiping right from an email no longer puts me back to the inbox. thanks apple

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goblin week posted:

lol after i updated ios swiping right from an email no longer puts me back to the inbox. thanks apple
works here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don't think i've used the ios email client for like. four iterations of ios at this point

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mediaphage posted:

i don't think i've used the ios email client for like. four iterations of ios at this point

same

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Traded in my 2020 Intel Macbook Pro for a 2020 M1 Macbook Air and drat, this thing is nice

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
my favorite random apple fact is that if you want better audio quality in windows OBS you need to install iTunes because you can’t get the coreaudio aac dll amy other way

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Traded in my 2020 Intel Macbook Pro for a 2020 M1 Macbook Air and drat, this thing is nice

hell yeah brother :hek:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I really hope Apple does make MacBooks in different colors. I want a purple Air or Pro to match my phone

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

my favorite random apple fact is that if you want better audio quality in windows OBS you need to install iTunes because you can’t get the coreaudio aac dll amy other way

it’s like giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I really hope Apple does make MacBooks in different colors. I want a purple Air or Pro to match my phone

I'd be amazed if they weren't going to do that for next year's macbooks so they match the new imac, can't imagine whoever wanted coloured imacs not also pushing for coloured macbooks to complete the nostalgia hit for people who had ibooks back in the day

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

current rumours are that the air gets a redesign to look like the macbook and done up in the new imac base colours

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what's a better ios email client?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
outlook

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mods!?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mac outlook is so bad I haven't even bothered looking at the ios version

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

afaik an entirely different product bought from some startup though, so no idea if it is good, but the quality of the mac version is nothing to go by.

e: yeah, used to be called "accompli", bought back in 2014

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The iOS outlook is significantly better than Mac Outlook and is probably the second best iOS email client.

The best iOS email client is waiting until you get to your desktop to read your email.

Edit: and then deleting most of the email without reading it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

im ok with this if one of the colours is black

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

qirex posted:

ms went and bought the best email client on ios and reskinned it

this single act turned around their entire mobile strategy and increased their stock price 4x lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios outlook sucks huge rear end but its definitely the best mail client on ios

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

remember when they had office for ios ready to go but ballmer wouldn't let them release it until they had office for windows rt? lmao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

its really a testament to microsoft's inertia that they managed to survive the ballmer years

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
put mailmate on ios

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

ios outlook sucks huge rear end but its definitely the best mail client on ios

seconding

the strongest point in its favor is it can properly pool all inboxes and junk mail and that it respects swipe behavior regardless of inbox (wtf why is this alternating on accounts in a pooled inbox, apple???)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

barkbell posted:

put mailmate on ios
more like mailhate

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

outlook on ios is good

i just started using spark which i kinda like for my personal mail, but it’s a lil gimmicky

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

outlook on ios is good

i just started using spark which i kinda like for my personal mail, but it’s a lil gimmicky

yeah wake me up when spark has the most recent conversations on top, instead of the bottom, like every other client does

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Last Chance posted:

yeah wake me up when spark has the most recent conversations on top, instead of the bottom, like every other client does

lol what :goofy:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Achmed Jones posted:

what's a better ios email client?

iOS comes with a Mail app that can integrate all your email, and it Just Works!

for real though I have no idea what you people are doing with email that the iOS mail app isn’t fine. I use Mail for my fake email job and it’s fine. every once in a while it’s buggy but then I just force close it and it works fine again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

iOS comes with a Mail app that can integrate all your email, and it Just Works!

for real though I have no idea what you people are doing with email that the iOS mail app isn’t fine. I use Mail for my fake email job and it’s fine. every once in a while it’s buggy but then I just force close it and it works fine again.

for my gmail account, swiping one way is delete and the other is archive etc

for my fastmail account this is reversed. there is no way to make them match, even though you can (kind of) edit this behavior. it's bad

im gonna try outlook i guess O_O