Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
For the third week someone put the weekly staff call on hold, triggering deafening hold music and making it impossible to continue the meeting, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Play posted:

For the third week someone put the weekly staff call on hold, triggering deafening hold music and making it impossible to continue the meeting, lol

praxis

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

goatface posted:

You should sell someone on the need for disaster recovery drills.

This is honestly one of my favorites and I couldn't agree more. I'm a big advocate for regularly practicing anything that causes large amounts of pain.

At my org we rotate data centers every three months to ensure we're keeping our data centers in sync with the level of automation we currently have and that our DR procedures work as planned.

So so so many people ask "why" with the most "wtf" sound in their voice when I tell them how often we shift production traffic between data centers.

The last organization I worked at was a major pre-paid debit card institution that had absolutely no hope of coming back online if our main data center went offline. I'm eternally grateful I'm no longer there. Even better, during the yearly DR exercise we would inevitably make it roughly 10 minutes into the simulation before some part of the business inevitably said "oh yeah, we can't do x-y-z" which would bring the whole thing to a halt and IT leadership would still sign off that our DR plans worked.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Play posted:

:kiss:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Play posted:

Was it this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8XdUNhNmU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I used to have a coworker who responded to any statement of happiness or unhappiness that it was or wasn't Friday with, "You're wishing your life away!", which always caused me to wish someone would bludgeon her to death with a stapler.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

thathonkey posted:

hardware cant fail it can only be failed. ah wait im thinking of capitalism

Our build/test team burned out 27 custom PCIe cards recently, two program's worth of parts worth over $100k combined because they kept hot swapping them during the test phase, which they had been explicitly told not to do as it would void the warranty and burn out the RAM on the card. This happens every six or so months when they want to make sure the build configurations work, but don't want to bother cycling the power over and over.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Our build/test team burned out 27 custom PCIe cards recently, two program's worth of parts worth over $100k combined because they kept hot swapping them during the test phase, which they had been explicitly told not to do as it would void the warranty and burn out the RAM on the card. This happens every six or so months when they want to make sure the build configurations work, but don't want to bother cycling the power over and over.

That is beyond frustrating into downright infuriating. The thought of some chassis-intrusion shutoff switch came to mind, but the kind of people who will do poo poo like hot swap PCIe cards will just tape over the intrusion sensors or what have you.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lazyfire posted:

But will there be consequences for them?

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

At I.B.M in Portsmouth, they used to task a middle manager or HR person with the task of ensuring that people used the handrails when they walked up or down the stairs.

An individual with a clipboard would stand at the top or bottom of the flight. anyone who didn't use the rail would be counselled for not complying with health and safety regs.

About 15 years ago Woolworths Australia built a new head office in a business park in Bella Vista. The Managing Director at the time would yell at people for not keeping all window blinds on a floor open to the same level because it made the building look messy from the outside.

He also implemented a bag check for the thousands of staff on exit from the building because store staff were subject to bag checks and support staff should have the same conditions. Apparently the queues from 5-6 were insane.

He also yelled at a staff member for bringing McDonalds into the office for lunch because why wasn't the company store downstairs good enough.

Fortunately he has left now and the current MD is much more sane and chill.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

a while back I posted about the crusty system (©1998!) the company that bought us out is switching us over to. we're in the phase of training on it and nearly every question we have about how to manipulate and display data within it is answered by "paste it into excel and do it there". this is a company valued in the billions

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atillo posted:

He also implemented a bag check for the thousands of staff on exit from the building because store staff were subject to bag checks and support staff should have the same conditions. Apparently the queues from 5-6 were insane.

Paid overtime for standing around staring at your phone? I mean, you got paid for that right? lol

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

d0s posted:

a while back I posted about the crusty system (©1998!) the company that bought us out is switching us over to. we're in the phase of training on it and nearly every question we have about how to manipulate and display data within it is answered by "paste it into excel and do it there". this is a company valued in the billions

Hello and welcome to my corner of hell, the company is welcome.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

promotions all around

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

thathonkey posted:

promotions all around

I remember that old meme.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

d0s posted:

There's a way, but everyone who knows how refuses to share that knowledge, and only a sleect few know that he knows. That's how this works.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Sad King Billy posted:

At I.B.M in Portsmouth, they used to task a middle manager or HR person with the task of ensuring that people used the handrails when they walked up or down the stairs.

An individual with a clipboard would stand at the top or bottom of the flight. anyone who didn't use the rail would be counselled for not complying with health and safety regs.

Oh my god this hit me so hard. So I work in a very saftey conscious environment because well you fall down the stairs your flesh looks like a cheese grater hit you. Our main job is very call and response dependant and we have one for walking up and down the stairs "Hands on rails!" Then either the person walking or someone else yells "snails on stairs" with pictures of snails on stairs at the top of both stairways. I a few years ago added " woo saftey!" to the call out and it's caught on.
What's funny is it started as a completely sarcastic fake thing and now they all do it. It's gone to other shops via my daughter fiance and roommate who all work for the same company. Just blew my mind seeing that. Shouldn't be surprised though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Oh my god this hit me so hard. So I work in a very saftey conscious environment because well you fall down the stairs your flesh looks like a cheese grater hit you. Our main job is very call and response dependant and we have one for walking up and down the stairs "Hands on rails!" Then either the person walking or someone else yells "snails on stairs" with pictures of snails on stairs at the top of both stairways. I a few years ago added " woo saftey!" to the call out and it's caught on.
What's funny is it started as a completely sarcastic fake thing and now they all do it. It's gone to other shops via my daughter fiance and roommate who all work for the same company. Just blew my mind seeing that. Shouldn't be surprised though.

That is a really unfortunate missing comma.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's what happens when you work sixty hours a week for two months.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Play posted:

Was it Opus #1? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqB8v14U_zs

If so, that person owns. Not all heroes wear capes, etc. etc.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:hmmyes:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 13, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know I posted about this before but one of the companies I worked with a bunch had their hold music be songs in different genres about being on hold. So like the first one up was a country track where the refrain was "Im on hoooOoold/waiting for the meeting to begin/Im on hoooooold/waiting for them to let me in"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Next week try to obviously badly hum the hold music while you're waiting.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Atopian posted:

Definitely don't stop for at least 10-20 seconds after somebody picks up.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Atopian posted:

Hold hold hold hold holdhold hold holdhold

Sung in the style of the star wars theme

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Son of Rodney posted:

Hold hold hold hold holdhold hold holdhold

Sung in the style of the star wars theme

The song you're looking for here is called "The Imperial March", champ.
:goonsay:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Zarin posted:

Cisco didn't even pay the dude that wrote Opus 1!

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/516/stuck-in-the-middle/act-one-2

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Zarin posted:

The song you're looking for here is called "The Imperial March", champ.
:goonsay:

Nerd nerd nerd nerd nerdnerd nerd nerdnerd

Sung in the style of the star wars march

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Son of Rodney posted:

Nerd nerd nerd nerd nerdnerd nerd nerdnerd

Sung in the style of the star wars march

May is more the Star Wars month than March for whatever reason

God drat you got me good here, RIP me, this feeble rejoinder rings hollow even in my own ears, well played

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That is beyond frustrating into downright infuriating. The thought of some chassis-intrusion shutoff switch came to mind, but the kind of people who will do poo poo like hot swap PCIe cards will just tape over the intrusion sensors or what have you.

Knowing the people who did this/do this constantly, one of the first things they usually do with any hardware is "modify" it to meet their exacting standards. By exacting standards I mean remove all safety measures. The number of things that "break" or "didn't work when we got it" is so high that I'm starting to think I'm the one with weird expectations that stuff we buy works.

Batterypowered7 posted:

No, never. Our entire team runs on the concept of no negative consequences. Just yesterday we had five different parts that needed RMAs because either our design team had misidentified parts or our build team had broken/burned out equipment. I've tried explaining I can't trust anything anyone loads into demand because of all these misses and that we need to be more accurate, but it seems that things only get worse.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I think it's funny when this kind of thing spreads. At my work, when there is no supervisor on duty, the person with the most seniority is given Lead Hand designation. They get a small pay bump for that shift, and they're expected to make minor decisions ("Do this call first, then that one. You, go and back up that other guy at his call" sort of stuff).
On my shift, I started referring to it as wearing the Daddy Pants. I didn't realize that it had gotten around until I was filling in on another shift, and a guy who I don't normally work with goes "So who's wearing the Daddy Pants today?"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Outrail posted:

Paid overtime for standing around staring at your phone? I mean, you got paid for that right? lol

Fun fact Amazon won a court case about that recently, the answer is a bit fat no!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

I used to genuinely like Opus #1.
Then I found out the hard way that Mazda corporate uses it as their hold music, and a couple hours worth of hold time later I can't stand it any more. Shame.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Does anyone know what Zscaler is and if it's gonna report that I spend time on dead gay comedy forums during work hours?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looks like leadership has decided that the "Work Appropriately" initiative at work means that come July we'll be in the office Tuesday and Thursday and WFH the other three days. No indication how long that'll last, but it'd be nice if it was put into place indefinitely.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Fun fact Amazon won a court case about that recently, the answer is a bit fat no!

:thermidor:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I have this woman whose job is making BOMs and she only makes BOMs for half the items and uses descriptors for the rest. Uses small, medium and mini interchangeably. Then acts shocked that the product size doesn't match the artwork. Like.....c'mon. Just make the loving BOMs.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

kntfkr posted:

I have this woman whose job is making BOMs and she only makes BOMs for half the items and uses descriptors for the rest. Uses small, medium and mini interchangeably. Then acts shocked that the product size doesn't match the artwork. Like.....c'mon. Just make the loving BOMs.

what?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Does anyone know what Zscaler is and if it's gonna report that I spend time on dead gay comedy forums during work hours?

As implemented by my work it's just a VPN.

Edit: so yes, it's tunneling your home connection through your work network. So if they didn't already know exactly what sites you're on, they do now.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 13, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
His colleague is really setting him up the BOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
BOM? BOM!