Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
hey i listed out the current open jira tickets on this spreadsheet with their current status, as you make progress can you send it around, and each of you update it and email it back out to the project group? thanks, this will help us keep track of the status of these jira issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you're fired op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hi, I updated the status on some of the issues. can you please merge this with your latest changes?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nobody update teh spreadsheet, i'm editing it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ok im done

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i no longer have my work google docs passwords and they want me to call to reset it so can someone update cell b234 to green?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I put the spreadsheet on my shared drive, everyone can edit from there instead of emailing it around. it’s here: \\192.168.1.28\shared\Issue Tracker.xlsx

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dude. can i interest you in a microsoft word document used an an issue progress tracker?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

hey i listed out the current open jira tickets on this spreadsheet with their current status, as you make progress can you send it around, and each of you update it and email it back out to the project group? thanks, this will help us keep track of the status of these jira issues.

in 2011 during the lead up to a major ship inspection while i was still in the navy, i gave all the division officers on the ship a standard spreadsheet format to use to list and track all their discrepancies (my division had one that was around 10k line items because i had to track every single fuse on the ship). they were supposed to save an updated version with their division name in a particular directory on our share drive. i then had a master sheet with a macro that would pull the relevant info from everyone's spreadsheets and compile them into a single document. the front sheet of this workbook had the charts and actionable statistics to put on the powerpoint presentation that was given daily to the captain, the commodore's staff, the admiral's staff, and whoever else felt like showing up.

our ops officer liked my system so much, it was distributed across the waterfront. he told me four years later he was using it as an executive officer on a ship.

someone else got an award for my system because they gave a presentation one day.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
If you have more issues than you can track in an Excel sheet you probably hosed up.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

tk posted:

If you have more issues than you can track in an Excel sheet you probably hosed up.

64k issues should be enough for anyone

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Management posted:

I put the spreadsheet on my shared drive, everyone can edit from there instead of emailing it around. it’s here: \\192.168.1.28\shared\Issue Tracker.xlsx

can you upload this to box, i don't have excel on this machine so i need to use the online editor

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

All,

It looks like the spreadsheet is still checked out to someone. Can that person check it in so I can commit my changes?

Thanks,

AnimeIsTrash

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we once hired a new director of software and one of his big ideas was not only to use microsoft word to track issues, but to use microsoft word as a whole issue tracker replacement. he wanted to totally get rid of bugzilla and replace it with emailed .docx files

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I had someone in college suggest we switch to google docs for versioning our project's code. It was already on a git repo that our school hosted...

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The Management posted:

I’ve been editing this for the last couple of days and I’m not seeing anyone else’s changes. Can you make sure you sent this link out to everyone?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I’ve been editing this for the last couple of days and I’m not seeing anyone else’s changes. Can you make sure you sent this link out to everyone?

you need to save your changes, close excel, and then open it again

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

I don't see this on the P: drive are you sure you put it there??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you need to be using the sheet that’s stored on my onedrive, not the file share or the sharepoint

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey, just a reminder everyone, please make sure to use the statuses "To-Do", "In-Progress", and "Complete". Please use these exact capitalization of the statuses, otherwise my excel formula won't count them right, and I don't know how to fix it. I've had to fix this multiple times now and there's no reason for it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Team,

Due to recent confusion regarding the Issue Tracking spreadsheet, I have scheduled an hour long education call to go over how to fill it in. PLEASE attend unless you have a customer engagement, as there will not be a recording. I have scheduled the meeting at 12:00 PM Eastern.

Thanks,

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

*prints out spreadsheet and colors in cells with crayons*

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

in 2011 during the lead up to a major ship inspection while i was still in the navy, i gave all the division officers on the ship a standard spreadsheet format to use to list and track all their discrepancies (my division had one that was around 10k line items because i had to track every single fuse on the ship). they were supposed to save an updated version with their division name in a particular directory on our share drive. i then had a master sheet with a macro that would pull the relevant info from everyone's spreadsheets and compile them into a single document. the front sheet of this workbook had the charts and actionable statistics to put on the powerpoint presentation that was given daily to the captain, the commodore's staff, the admiral's staff, and whoever else felt like showing up.

our ops officer liked my system so much, it was distributed across the waterfront. he told me four years later he was using it as an executive officer on a ship.

someone else got an award for my system because they gave a presentation one day.

this is amazing btw. it def sounds like navy.txt

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

All,

Just a reminder that the spreadsheet we use to track the jiras for the project is now tickets-1.docx, please do not update the old tickets.docx.

Have a blessed week!
-------

"Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it." - Mark Twain

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i sent that post to coworkers on slack and half just replied with “gently caress you”

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

nothing is more powerful than excel

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

you changed my colors!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I had someone in college suggest we switch to google docs for versioning our project's code. It was already on a git repo that our school hosted...

oh cool we were partnered with the same person : /

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

please dont use the dark orange. that is for urgent but not emergency issues. if you must please use the lighter orange.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how do I make the column bigger so that I can see all of the text in the box?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

lookit this scrub not using ms access

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Nice! posted:

(my division had one that was around 10k line items because i had to track every single fuse on the ship).

Wow! I bet that was hard to keep current!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
though not part of the main excel spreadsheet we use to track jira tickets, id like to give a shout out to our "we couldn't think of a better way to track affected customers in jira other than shoving every customer name into the ticket title" system.

gotta love "[fartcorp][buttco][customerA][dontcare][somebody][tacobell][yospos][bithc][urmom][ligma][justpost][probably terminated their contract 3y ago] oh look an actual description of the problem"

still relevant to this thread since lead product manager has informed me that he has a spreadsheet that ingests this issue title format and reports on it somehow

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

how do I make the column bigger so that I can see all of the text in the box?

god dammit don’t mess with that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

just leave the formatting stuff alone!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
listen everyone, i have a lot more important things to do with my time than to adjust the width of columns in an excel spreadsheet.

if i cant see these jira tickets immediately when opening the spreadsheet, i am wasting time playing with formatting.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
whoever is editing the bugs in papyrus 16 point font, please stop doing that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Someone sorted the issues by Priority and now the Comments don't match up to the correct Issue.

PLEASE DO NOT use the Sort function!

Carrier
May 12, 2009

it me, the guy maintaining an excel issue progress tracker lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Someone sorted the issues by Priority and now the Comments don't match up to the correct Issue.

PLEASE DO NOT use the Sort function!

good thing i saved a duplicate to use a while back then :smug: