Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Bill of materials you yokels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Better than the config management team constantly updating their audit checklist and never sharing it with the BoM team.

Love getting a dozen turnbacks b/c one dude couldn't be assed to send a process update email.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

kntfkr posted:

I was wondering what the Bureau Of Meteorology had to do with that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I love that because there is zero creativity in corporate material management, enriching a BOM ID/displaying the entire hierarchical makeup of a BOM with the list of components that make it is called 'exploding the BOM.'

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
busty ol' milfs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:wom:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kntfkr posted:

I have this woman whose job is making BOMs and she only makes BOMs for half the items and uses descriptors for the rest. Uses small, medium and mini interchangeably. Then acts shocked that the product size doesn't match the artwork. Like.....c'mon. Just make the loving BOMs.

I'm sorry, what? Is she referencing sub-assembly drawings and not properly referencing them? A BOM isn't half guesswork/open to interpretation. Besides As Required designations or Alternate part numbers it's supposed to be an exact thing telling you the dash number, make from and quantity.

This poo poo is in my brain today because our Space Systems team sent us a drawing this morning and I ended up spending five hours typing out an email explaining why it was unmanufacturable.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I drop BOMs on company time

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lazyfire posted:

I'm sorry, what? Is she referencing sub-assembly drawings and not properly referencing them? A BOM isn't half guesswork/open to interpretation. Besides As Required designations or Alternate part numbers it's supposed to be an exact thing telling you the dash number, make from and quantity.

This poo poo is in my brain today because our Space Systems team sent us a drawing this morning and I ended up spending five hours typing out an email explaining why it was unmanufacturable.

ummmm i work in arts and crafts so way more simple than that. We are selling clothespins to walmart. She specced "small clothespins" and sent a variety of samples to my factory in China. When she should have made a BoM that said they were 6cm x 0.7cm x 1.5 cm or whatever the art/samples were cuz the factory just ordered the smallest clothespin in the array of samples and assigned it to the item number. I mentioned this would be a problem at the time of sourcing and never got a response. Now it's a month later and she's flabbergasted because the factory was sent art two weeks ago, oh me oh my, two weeks!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

Thank you. I thought it meant Bag of Missiles

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kntfkr posted:

ummmm i work in arts and crafts so way more simple than that. We are selling clothespins to walmart. She specced "small clothespins" and sent a variety of samples to my factory in China. When she should have made a BoM that said they were 6cm x 0.7cm x 1.5 cm or whatever the art/samples were cuz the factory just ordered the smallest clothespin in the array of samples and assigned it to the item number. I mentioned this would be a problem at the time of sourcing and never got a response. Now it's a month later and she's flabbergasted because the factory was sent art two weeks ago, oh me oh my, two weeks!

I don't think it should be much different. You should have half pieces with sizes, a spring per size and an assembly with two halves plus the right spring per size. If she just assumed sending something to a Chinese factory and asking for replication would produce a viable product then she hosed up. I've done that before and it ended poorly.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

kntfkr posted:

busty ol' milfs

where

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Resident Evil 8

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Outrail posted:

BOM? BOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1qKzIsisU&t=18s

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Imagined posted:

As implemented by my work it's just a VPN.

Lol, we already have 2 VPNs that we use

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Lol, we already have 2 VPNs that we use

Again, that's how my work does it too. Running Zscaler and Netmotion Mobility simultaneously. I'm sure someone will correct me that they're not technically VPNs, but whatever, proxies of some kind.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lazyfire posted:

Hmm, space systems team? Terrible drawings? Impossible designs?

Do you work for Oceaneering? :v:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Super Waffle posted:

Deffo working the Space Force F35 'starfighter' variant.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

If you work at a company located in a different country from your vendor and you use a "freight forwarder" middleman to ship a single small item you purchased from that vendor, please stop. just give us your Fedex/DHL/UPS account number, or pay our reasonable shipping charge. I promise you it will be cheaper, and it will get there on time. the freight forwarder is not making your customs documents, when you hire them they just contact us and ask us to draw them up, only now we have to make them by hand instead of using the built in functionality of DHL/UPS/Fedex software to generate them. they will then print those documents (or just copy the data from them), slap them on the box, and use UPS/Fedex/DHL anyway when it's a small package. Some of them just straight up send us a shipping label from one of those companies direct to you. they will not "grease the wheels" at customs or whatever the hell you think they do, there's no fast lane for freight forwarders. you're paying somebody exorbitant fees to receive a package and print some PDFs, and then overcharge you on shipping. Unless you are in a lawless or war-torn place or receiving entire skids you don't need a middleman for international parcel shipping in 2021

signed, person tired of filling out badly formatted PDF forms

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 14, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lazyfire posted:

I don't think it should be much different. You should have half pieces with sizes, a spring per size and an assembly with two halves plus the right spring per size. If she just assumed sending something to a Chinese factory and asking for replication would produce a viable product then she hosed up. I've done that before and it ended poorly.

Yeah, it doesn't even get that complicated since these items are all available on the open market and the Chinese I deal with are all trading company people since I lack boots on the ground. The clothespins already exist. Even just having the component dimensions in the description on the line list would have avoided this but I'm dealing with a corporate culture where it's ok to send an email with the subject: "Items". They come from publishing and are new to sourcing/manufacturing products. Everyone here thinks China is a magical place where you send them a jpeg and get back containers full of what was in the photo and they are southerners and I am in NJ so every time I point out stuff like this I'm considered rude.

On the plus-side I started working a second full-time job for a flower grower and everything's domestic and the company seems really nice and competent.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Shop-rite, wegmans, Burlington coat factory and my local climbing gym are all great sources of BOMs.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Everyone here thinks China is a magical place where you send them a jpeg and get back containers full of what was in the photo

I love it when people are just shocked when the lowest bidder chinese factory they chose sends an order where half the items are out of tolerance and smell like cigarettes, or a component is upside down on a few thousand PCBs. like every chinese factory is the one cranking out iphones

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

d0s posted:

I love it when people are just shocked when the lowest bidder chinese factory they chose sends an order where half the items are out of tolerance and smell like cigarettes, or a component is upside down on a few thousand PCBs. like every chinese factory is the one cranking out iphones

Amusingly I live near a bunch of those, and after getting it down to a fine art, they themselves are now in the middle of automation-driven downsizing. As above...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We're about to start opening the office after closing last March because plague, and our boss's boss decided the best way to convince us to go back in was to acknowledge how effectively we worked remotely... then tell us that it's made a case with some unnamed "they" that we can be safely offshored, so we'd better get back into the office! :pseudo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

We're about to start opening the office after closing last March because plague, and our boss's boss decided the best way to convince us to go back in was to acknowledge how effectively we worked remotely... then tell us that it's made a case with some unnamed "they" that we can be safely offshored, so we'd better get back into the office! :pseudo:

Hey, why's everyone suddenly resigning? I told you peasants to get back in your cells or I'd fire you! :confused:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey, why's everyone suddenly resigning? I told you peasants to get back in your cells or I'd fire you! :confused:

I mean, even aside from a witty response, anyone faced with that needs to prepare their gtfo plan immediately.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lol, I already made sure my resume was up to date when the pandemic started.

I'll probably start looking to punch out soon because working from home turns out to have been a net benefit to my mental health and I'd like that to continue.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Super Waffle posted:

Thankfully, no. I'm glad to know that my company isn't the only one with insanely bad drawings. My previous job was partially reviewing engineering drawings for manufacturability, so when I got here and saw what we provided vendors and our own shop floor, I was stunned that any of them made it through a peer review.

kntfkr posted:

Yeah, it doesn't even get that complicated since these items are all available on the open market and the Chinese I deal with are all trading company people since I lack boots on the ground. The clothespins already exist. Even just having the component dimensions in the description on the line list would have avoided this but I'm dealing with a corporate culture where it's ok to send an email with the subject: "Items". They come from publishing and are new to sourcing/manufacturing products. Everyone here thinks China is a magical place where you send them a jpeg and get back containers full of what was in the photo and they are southerners and I am in NJ so every time I point out stuff like this I'm considered rude.

On the plus-side I started working a second full-time job for a flower grower and everything's domestic and the company seems really nice and competent.

The idea that you can just send whatever it is you want to China and have crates of it next week is one of the greatest lies China has sold the world. For small everyday items there probably warehouses of the thing you are looking for, sure, but I've met people who just assume that they could get complicated custom electronics shipped to them in a week if we just "went to China" for it. Poorly Made in China is a good book on how the system works from the perspective of an insider and should be required reading for anyone new to any industry that involves manufacturing.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Thankfully, no. I'm glad to know that my company isn't the only one with insanely bad drawings. My previous job was partially reviewing engineering drawings for manufacturability, so when I got here and saw what we provided vendors and our own shop floor, I was stunned that any of them made it through a peer review.

The idea that you can just send whatever it is you want to China and have crates of it next week is one of the greatest lies China has sold the world. For small everyday items there probably warehouses of the thing you are looking for, sure, but I've met people who just assume that they could get complicated custom electronics shipped to them in a week if we just "went to China" for it. Poorly Made in China is a good book on how the system works from the perspective of an insider and should be required reading for anyone new to any industry that involves manufacturing.

You totally can get that - in that, there are several places that could do that for you.
The trick is, finding one of those places, paying them enough to do it (because actual quality labour has a cost and rarity even here), somehow persuading them to prioritise work over all the other people who know they do quality work, and then somehow preventing them from outsourcing it to one of the many crappier places they subcontract to whenever they can.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My company ran out of stuff to sell so Im currently being paid to make sure I don't accidentally convince someone to buy something from us.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

My company ran out of stuff to sell so Im currently being paid to make sure I don't accidentally convince someone to buy something from us.

*Wakes up after an all-night bender sprawled in a pile of empty bottles and completed order forms*

*Groans in regret*

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Atopian posted:

*Wakes up after an all-night bender sprawled in a pile of empty bottles and completed order forms*

*Groans in regret*

Hangover 4: Surly Surplus

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Atopian posted:

*Groans in regret*

This does not please Indirect Modes of Taxation.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Atopian posted:

*Groans in regret*

"Hey boss... Yeah... I took Ambien again... Yeah... I broke a sales record again..."

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

“Jefferson! If you hit your sales quota again this month, you’re FIRED!!”

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Atopian posted:

You totally can get that - in that, there are several places that could do that for you.
The trick is, finding one of those places, paying them enough to do it (because actual quality labour has a cost and rarity even here), somehow persuading them to prioritize work over all the other people who know they do quality work, and then somehow preventing them from outsourcing it to one of the many crappier places they subcontract to whenever they can.

If you know who you are dealing with and can ensure they are following the requirements of your request/order you can more or less rest easy. In a previous job we had a Chinese manufacturer who was unimpeachable, everything they sent us was not only on time, but exactly to the drawing and they didn't try to suddenly raise costs.

At the same time, I was told to expand the supplier base for the parts and only told I had to have them made in China. I found a vendor, did my research and commissioned some samples. I ended up dumping almost $200k in NRE and scrapped parts with a company that provided me counterfeit first article inspection items that fooled everyone from myself to our design engineers. When we issued an order for 400 pieces they were multiple months late and the parts were unusable. The parts we had them making were supposed to be cast in a single piece, then drilled at two points, then cut in half lengthwise to make a matched pair. What they did instead was cast individual halves, drilled them separately and then tried to match pieces as best they could. This lead to a lot of non-viable parts. The three samples they sent me that led to us ordering hundreds of parts from them were the only three (I guess really six) of over 200 test pieces that met the drawing requirements, as we found out later. The company I worked for eventually started legal action against the vendor, but I was out the door before anything happened.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

Resident Evil 8

That spanking video is hilarious

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lazyfire posted:

If you know who you are dealing with and can ensure they are following the requirements of your request/order you can more or less rest easy. In a previous job we had a Chinese manufacturer who was unimpeachable, everything they sent us was not only on time, but exactly to the drawing and they didn't try to suddenly raise costs.

At the same time, I was told to expand the supplier base for the parts and only told I had to have them made in China. I found a vendor, did my research and commissioned some samples. I ended up dumping almost $200k in NRE and scrapped parts with a company that provided me counterfeit first article inspection items that fooled everyone from myself to our design engineers. When we issued an order for 400 pieces they were multiple months late and the parts were unusable. The parts we had them making were supposed to be cast in a single piece, then drilled at two points, then cut in half lengthwise to make a matched pair. What they did instead was cast individual halves, drilled them separately and then tried to match pieces as best they could. This lead to a lot of non-viable parts. The three samples they sent me that led to us ordering hundreds of parts from them were the only three (I guess really six) of over 200 test pieces that met the drawing requirements, as we found out later. The company I worked for eventually started legal action against the vendor, but I was out the door before anything happened.

Would it even be possible to win a lawsuit against a factory in China? I'd assume the legal environment would make that difficult. Or was the vendor based in the US?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

d0s posted:

lol one time i had to go do an inspection with my wife to a partygoods vendor and some idiot at my company had sold them like a million units of paper plates for 70 grand deliverable within 40 days and of course every unit had, yeah, literal cigarette ash and just factory grime in it. And they wanted all their money back, so my company sends us to verify the claim which is of course true

but we drive there and the place is in Goshen New York and it's a hasidic operation and the first guy I meet, who is dressed like what most goyum would picture a rabbi to look like, my wife (small chinese immigrant and normally shy) just confidently pumps this dudes unoffered hand like "HI! HOW ARE YA? NICE TO KNOW YA!" and he recoils in disgust and runs away and so I had to explain hasidic jews to her and why no one will make eye contact with her let alone speak to her and she was like "these jews are very sexist, I hate them"

It was pretty funny. And the enteman's museum was right there so it wasn't a bad trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
The most amazing thing I have seen in the last year and change is when between the pandemic completely loving pretty much every part of my company's manufacturing chain, combined with the first stimulus check creating a massive, massive run on extant stock, the resulting shortage was solved by replacing our in-house white label brand of everything with just basically whatever some fuckhead at corporate could buy 200 million units of off Alibaba.

And even that bandaid ran out, so now we just have basically nothing on the shelves every single day forever and boy howdy did that piss off a lot of customers when they wanted to blow their second check with us too, whoops