Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Letting you save Aeris would be incredibly cowardly on squares part. If you want deaths to mean something they've gotta stay dead, not get reconned back to life decades later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gaius Marius posted:

Letting you save Aeris would be incredibly cowardly on squares part. If you want deaths to mean something they've gotta stay dead, not get reconned back to life decades later.

But what about when you're telling two different stories? The game has been pretty up-front about NOT being a retelling of the original FF7. Everything that happened in OG FF7 happened. That story has been told. Now they're telling a new story, which may have different themes, mood, emotional arcs, etc.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
it’s pretty much a retelling of the original with some extra scenes at this point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

it’s pretty much a retelling of the original with some extra scenes at this point.

the party literally goes to war with the original by the end of FF7R, things are probably going to get pretty wacky by the time part 2 rolls around

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

the party literally goes to war with the original by the end of FF7R, things are probably going to get pretty wacky by the time part 2 rolls around

Oh I get it now, the remakes are gonna end with fighting the development team.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

FFXII did it (yazmat!)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

playing this for the first time, and boy, was Roche an embarrassing and insufferable character, and practically the whole writing around the sector 7 compound juvenile. Wedge was immature in the original, too, but here he is just straight out of a television show for children

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your gonna get pushback for that but let it be known I agree with you that Roche sucked rear end.

Schwartzcough posted:

But what about when you're telling two different stories? The game has been pretty up-front about NOT being a retelling of the original FF7. Everything that happened in OG FF7 happened. That story has been told. Now they're telling a new story, which may have different themes, mood, emotional arcs, etc.

If Shakespeare wrote a sequel to Romeo and Juliet where they both lived and ended the feud it would be a bad play.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s the odd cognitive dissonance of on the one hand feeling like you should be the target audience for this, having played the original as a teen in 1997, and the writing making it apparent that, no, it’s the teens of today that’s the real target audience

the gameplay is fun at least, and Barret is true to character in a big way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're probably gonna play it straight and it'll probably be as okay as it was in the original, but until we get there I feel like it's just gonna retroactively make how they've written Remake Aerith and her relationship with the party feel like lame playing up of the meme sad moment.

Gaius Marius posted:

If Shakespeare wrote a sequel to Romeo and Juliet where they both lived and ended the feud it would be a bad play.

It'd be good if it was executed well, and bad if it wasn't.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

???????????

ulvir posted:

playing this for the first time, and boy, was Roche an embarrassing and insufferable character, and practically the whole writing around the sector 7 compound juvenile. Wedge was immature in the original, too, but here he is just straight out of a television show for children

lol ok gas teh thread

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ulvir posted:

it’s the odd cognitive dissonance of on the one hand feeling like you should be the target audience for this, having played the original as a teen in 1997, and the writing making it apparent that, no, it’s the teens of today that’s the real target audience

the gameplay is fun at least, and Barret is true to character in a big way

You not liking the writing doesn't mean it wasn't written for people who played the original, don't be weird about it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

not sure what’s weird about me feeling too old for the writing in that chapter

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gaius Marius posted:

That's a mighty big conclusion to jump to without ever reading a single word of this hypothetical play!

Let's take classic movie, The Princess Bride. The hero gets the girl, the villain is humiliated, and friends ride off into the distance to presumably live happily ever after. Most people agree this was a good, fun, light-hearted story! Now let's pretend a little-known "author's cut" had previously been written, with a different tone. Wesley was never revived. Inigo dies attempting to avenge his father. Fezzik manages to rescue Buttercup, but the ending is bittersweet from all that was lost.

Is the original suddenly "instantly bad" because it didn't follow the author's cut? Is the original now "bad" because "a silly miracle was used to revive Wesley and everyone has a happy ending and it's unrealistic"? Or is the author's cut "bad" because it didn't follow what the later, well-liked movie did?

Or, maybe, stories can stand on their own and each can be appreciated for what it is, without other works "ruining" them or new works being "bad" because they do something differently.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 13, 2021

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ulvir posted:

not sure what’s weird about me feeling too old for the writing in that chapter

I'm more than likely much older than you and I liked it. Don't be weird. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't written for (potentially) everyone.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 13, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

stating a subjective experience isn’t being weird, I never said someone older than N could ever enjoy it

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Levantine posted:

They would not have stopped him the first time around without Aerith directing the lifesteam (I think).

I mean, some people still believe that Aerith directed the lifestream to kill all humanity, so maybe it's a good thing to save her in that timeline?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ace Transmuter posted:

I mean, some people still believe that Aerith directed the lifestream to kill all humanity, so maybe it's a good thing to save her in that timeline?

I really do hope the story goes directly off the rails and stays there and gets absolutely as weird as it wants to so that would be a really good story hook IMO.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Back when it came out, an LP of XIII-2 referred to it as the Chrono Cross of FF. I imagine these LP'ers meant it as an insult since they didn't like XIII-2 but it's a very apt little description. XIII-2 had Chrono style alternate endings and this is an awesome idea I want in more games.

I doubt I'll ever play it but if they had multiple endings depending on NG+ and beating the villain at various points in the narrative, I'd be all over FFVIIR-2. They could do all sorts of craziness.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaius Marius posted:

Your gonna get pushback for that but let it be known I agree with you that Roche sucked rear end.

Romeo and Juliet isn’t a good play because of the shock ending and it’s incredibly silly to imply so

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

https://youtu.be/b614MYFxRwc

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

roche is cool and good

he'll be even more cool and good if he keeps showing up and has progressively lost his mind more and more each time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My only hope is that Roche appears on increasingly more elaborate and impractical vehicles.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

My only hope is that Roche appears on increasingly more elaborate and impractical vehicles.

I hope Roche comes back next time riding a mechanical horse that's also riding a motorcycle.

Make us fight another HellHouse but it's been completely turned into a robot and Roche is piloting it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We get to Costa del Sol and Roche is there at the beach. Also his motorcycle is there with its own beach blanket.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Roche should ride Heavy Tank, the dinosaur torso with tank treads

If not, I at least hope it gets the Hell House treatment for a boss fight

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I've said it before, but Roche shows up during chocobo racing, riding his chocobo in the exact same manner he rode his motorcycle.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Roche better be driving the truck that hits Palmer

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Roche better be a playable character

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

Roche better be a playable character

I want Roche and Cid to be fast friends despite all expectations that they'd absolutely hate each other.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Roche is Cid’s son. Boom, it’s canon.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Picturing Roche sitting on his motorcycle, listening to someone describe the horsepower of Shinra No. 26, hyperventilating like Aerith.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

doos posted:

Picturing Roche sitting on his motorcycle, listening to someone describe the horsepower of Shinra No. 26, hyperventilating like Aerith.

Roche riding Shinra No. 26 into space like the Dr. Strangelove scene in reverse

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
What if Sephiroth just doesn't summon meteor this time

Like he already tried that and knows what happens

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Good thing this is a video game then

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SephiRoche.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Hope the game to keep diverging from the original more with each episode.

Also, Roche owns

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Rochemeo and... JulieAerith?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I can't believe you'd just spoil Part 3 like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Truly the meta plot the fanbase deserves.