Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I get the feeling that since the remake is being handled by ILCA (a different company) with Masuda in a supervising director role, there isn't much that is unique they legally could do with a DP remake to make it like ORAS, where so many little things had been changed from the original. ILCA may be developing the remake, but they don't really own the IP so they can't take the creative liberties.

Its similar to how the Paper Mario series can't really have unique characters anymore since they're developed by Intelligent Systems rather then by an in-house Nintendo development studio.

i would not frame these issues like hardcoded rules and not just insane self-defeating handicaps nintendo could do away with in a single email lol. they should simply let the devs make good games instead of bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zuzie posted:

I get the feeling that since the remake is being handled by ILCA (a different company) with Masuda in a supervising director role, there isn't much that is unique they legally could do with a DP remake to make it like ORAS, where so many little things had been changed from the original. ILCA may be developing the remake, but they don't really own the IP so they can't take the creative liberties.

Rare took plenty of creative liberties when they created Donkey Kong Country

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

qnqnx posted:

Little Town Hero was supposedly also an 'ambitious' game from them and did not get any hype, and it merely faded away on release day.

Oh god right. Did it even runk ok on ps4?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zuzie posted:

By more exciting title, its more the premises then the execution. With remakes, you know exactly how the story is supposed to go and there's barely any new surprises in store. Legends is essentially a new game and it doesn't appear to follow the same formula as other titles.

At the same time, its sort of easy to see why Game Freak had gotten in a rut in the first place. Their games are going to make the same amount of money regardless of how much of that "effort" that people are harping on about. I guess they have no reason to improve when they're already achieved a state which most other series dream of being. They've cemented themselves so much in pop culture that they can afford to disappoint the hardcore fanbase and still expect their loyalty. Calls for boycotting the games due to their quality are practically meaningless.

Yeah, ultimately this is the issue. Pokemon could literally be the most devoid of content game in history and it'd still sell millions on the strength of the brand alone. Even if, miraculously, a game sold badly, the multimedia empire would more than make up for it. The brand crashing badly enough that Game Freak and Nintendo (who likely exert a lot of pressure here) were forced to actually give the games enough time and manpower to be of the quality expected of this big a brand, is basically impossible.

Added to having to appease said multimedia empire so development cycles are extremely rushed for such a big name, Game Freak's baffling practices, and it's no surprise Pokemon is what it is. It's just sad, especially when other companies have shown much better results with the brand (New Snap being the newest example of it - a genuinely great game that fully shows what the Pokemon world can be like, made by Bandai-Namco)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Skrill.exe posted:

From what I've heard of it that's probably a blessing for all involved.

That's also what I heard yeah, isn't it terrible at a mechanical level?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, ultimately this is the issue. Pokemon could literally be the most devoid of content game in history and it'd still sell millions on the strength of the brand alone. Even if, miraculously, a game sold badly, the multimedia empire would more than make up for it. The brand crashing badly enough that Game Freak and Nintendo (who likely exert a lot of pressure here) were forced to actually give the games enough time and manpower to be of the quality expected of this big a brand, is basically impossible.

Added to having to appease said multimedia empire so development cycles are extremely rushed for such a big name, Game Freak's baffling practices, and it's no surprise Pokemon is what it is. It's just sad, especially when other companies have shown much better results with the brand (New Snap being the newest example of it - a genuinely great game that fully shows what the Pokemon world can be like, made by Bandai-Namco)

I should play Pokemon Snap

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Zuzie posted:

At the same time, its sort of easy to see why Game Freak had gotten in a rut in the first place. Their games are going to make the same amount of money regardless of how much of that "effort" that people are harping on about. I guess they have no reason to improve when they're already achieved a state which most other series dream of being. They've cemented themselves so much in pop culture that they can afford to disappoint the hardcore fanbase and still expect their loyalty. Calls for boycotting the games due to their quality are practically meaningless.

when you say "they" who do you actually mean? don't you think game developers might want to make good games, just on principle? i mean "developers" as the actual people, obviously the soulless leadership/management don't give a gently caress.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

:qq: BUH SEE THIS PROVES GAMEFREAK ARE LAZY HACKS THAT DONT CARE ABOUT THE REAL FANS :qq:

I’m actually cautiously optimistic about Legends and was pleasantly surprised to see a formula shake up. Doesn’t mean I can’t feel wistful about the death of the traditional remake style and think BDSP look like a waste of the potential bringing in an outside developer can offer. Thanks for putting words in my mouth though, I’m glad you got to feel morally superior on the internet for a bit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like new pokemon snap and im willing to try legends so really gamefreak should outsource the pokemon ip more often for spinoffs

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
never make a new mainline title, only do spinoffs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Trozei 2 when

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Muscle Tracer posted:

when you say "they" who do you actually mean? don't you think game developers might want to make good games, just on principle? i mean "developers" as the actual people, obviously the soulless leadership/management don't give a gently caress.

I'm assuming Game Freak since people seem to have no issue with Pokemon as a whole and currently, the fanbase looks at other companies handling the brand and immediately go "OMG this looks so good Game Freak clearly doesn't love Pokemon as much as (insert game company here) and should just give the brand to them!"

And yes, ideally, game developers should be putting all their effort into their video games (but not so much that it encourages bad practices of course).

qnqnx posted:

That's also what I heard yeah, isn't it terrible at a mechanical level?

Oh that game was a trash fire.

I think it was given that "ambitious" to drum up interest even though it's basically a game developed by Game Freak employees who wanted to take a break from Pokémon for a bit. There's been a bunch of other games like it, but they're all generally ho-hum.

Little Town Hero was uniquely bad though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like new pokemon snap and im willing to try legends so really gamefreak should outsource the pokemon ip more often for spinoffs

Legends isn't outsourced, DP remake is. Legends is the first time (I think?) Game Freak has worked on a spinoff instead of a main series game.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Legends isn't outsourced, DP remake is. Legends is the first time (I think?) Game Freak has worked on a spinoff instead of a main series game.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus isn't a spin-off title. It's largely set in the same world as the main series games and is basically a distant prequel of sorts.

It appears to be another experiment though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think there are any lazy game developers, at least not among those who actually ship products.

The root cause of the uneven quality of Game Freak's output seems to be structural, and I would guess that it's not a problem that can be satisfactorily solved by throwing more money at it.

They don't want to kill the golden goose, so they're being cautious and conservative about any changes, rather than panic and make huge sweeping mandates. This is actually a good thing, because studios and franchises die when publishers panic.

There will continue to be disappointments, because everything they're doing to improve things (hiring more people, reusing the HD models, contracting out remakes) is a slow process. Just, for god's sake, that's no reason to be a baby about it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bongo Bill posted:

Just, for god's sake, that's no reason to be a baby about it.

twelve years ago they released HG/SS and the experience distribution was not exactly what I think it should be and I'm going to piss and poo poo my pants until people accept how much it hurt me emotionally

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Realistically, pokemon shouldn't be a yearly franchise, or if it is there should be 3-4 rotating teams so each game gets 3-4 years in the oven. I think gamefreak currently has two alternating teams so each game gets 2 years?

Though USUM was one of the mainline yearly releases and lol

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 13, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

Realistically, pokemon shouldn't be a yearly franchise, or if it is there should be 3-4 rotating teams so each game gets 3-4 years in the oven. I think gamefreak currently has two alternating teams so each game gets 2 years?

Though USU was one of the mainline yearly releases and lol

USUM was the only one I regret buying imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Violet_Sky posted:

USUM was the only one I regret buying imo

:same:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bleck posted:

twelve years ago they released HG/SS and the experience distribution was not exactly what I think it should be and I'm going to piss and poo poo my pants until people accept how much it hurt me emotionally

It's perfectly fine to say you disliked something, especially if said something is something you paid for. While there are obviously people who react in extreme ways, it's important to be able to distinguish good from bad, as subjective as it may be.

cheetah7071 posted:

Though USUM was one of the mainline yearly releases and lol

The addition of paid DLC should be the end of yearly releases, since it means they don't need to release a third version of the same thing. Whether it actually ends up a net improvement to the franchise or not is yet to be seen though, it doesn't personally give me more hope for Gen 9, but it may be exactly what the developer needed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, well thats cool too! Maybe theyll just stop doing mainline games and all spinoffs all the time (yes i know that wont happen)

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
So why was Little Town Hero bad? I haven't been able to find any good info.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't think there are any lazy game developers, at least not among those who actually ship products.

The root cause of the uneven quality of Game Freak's output seems to be structural, and I would guess that it's not a problem that can be satisfactorily solved by throwing more money at it.

They don't want to kill the golden goose, so they're being cautious and conservative about any changes, rather than panic and make huge sweeping mandates. This is actually a good thing, because studios and franchises die when publishers panic.

There will continue to be disappointments, because everything they're doing to improve things (hiring more people, reusing the HD models, contracting out remakes) is a slow process. Just, for god's sake, that's no reason to be a baby about it.

It's impossible to determine this from the outside but I'd imagine it's got to be the leadership. There have been plenty of quotes over the years from Masuda about how they want to streamline the experience to make it as simple to pick up and play so that kids don't lose interest and go back to mobile games. I think this attitude is what leads to the Sun/Moon games showing a bright red flag on the map at all times. They seem to have really fallen in love with their storytelling skills and the result is that the first quarter of the games is running from map icon to map icon and tapping A through way too many text boxes. Sw/Sh had the same issue.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pokemon Let's Go was great. More like it, please.
Also Pokemon Conequest was great and more Poke-tactics, please.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bleck posted:

I mean a company lazily remaking a game and not fixing any of the easily fixable issues with the original release is bad. It's bad no matter what company does it, let alone the company behind a billion dollar franchise.

Like it's not going to hurt their feelings to just admit on the technical side (And design side in a lot of cases) GF does not have a good track record. The tangled mess that is SwSh's online functionality alone is something people would be making fun/perpetually poo poo talking any other game for.

Like you wanna make it about complaining about specific games is incredibly stupid because even their most recent releases are messes. I still can't just directly trade or battle or interact with a specific friend online. In game that already has some form of friend list integration so we know it's not impossible for them to do something.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Gaius Marius posted:

Trozei 2 when

Trozei 3, you mean, since Battle Trozei came out for the 3DS :v: though I would like another Trozei with the original gameplay, the new one felt a bit too different.

But above all I'm still annoyed we went through the entire 3DS era without a new Ranger, those games slapped.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

HootTheOwl posted:

Also Pokemon Conequest was great and more Poke-tactics, please.

We're never going to get a Pokemon Conquest 2 (or a Pokemon Musou) and I will always be sad about it.

Polderjoch posted:

But above all I'm still annoyed we went through the entire 3DS era without a new Ranger, those games slapped.

The Ranger games were awesome, and I'm irritated that a lot of the endgame missions were DLC content that you can't download anymore so you're missing part of the story and some fun missions if you didn't get the game at release (like I had happen with Ranger 3 :( ).

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Ranger games were awesome, and I'm irritated that a lot of the endgame missions were DLC content that you can't download anymore so you're missing part of the story and some fun missions if you didn't get the game at release (like I had happen with Ranger 3 :( ).

You can hook up to fan servers nowadays for those I believe, but yeah them needing WiFi to unlock for ranger 2 and 3 was super annoying, especially in 3 when there was a lot behind it, let alone the multiplayer temple stuff.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Polderjoch posted:

Trozei 3, you mean, since Battle Trozei came out for the 3DS :v: though I would like another Trozei with the original gameplay, the new one felt a bit too different.

As far as I'm aware, there's been a whole slew of mobile games that use those Pokemon icons as "blocks". Pokémon Café Mix is probably the latest one.

Also I don't think there's going to be any more Ranger games. My DS still has a circular "scar" on the bottom screen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pokemon Conquest was a great concept but the gameplay kind of sucked. A sequel could easily make it good though, it wasn't irredeemable.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

dungeon cousin posted:

So why was Little Town Hero bad? I haven't been able to find any good info.

IIRC performance was bad (maybe PS4 changed this) but mainly the battle system was this convoluted specific thing. If you liked a fusion of an RPG combat system with a board game about positioning, with lots of random elements happening during half hour boss fights, then you're in for a treat. For most people who actually touched it it just lead to a tedious game where you could game over after half an hour of 1 fight that felt like you had almost no control over.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojpTpT5i-PI

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

cheetah7071 posted:

Pokemon Conquest was a great concept but the gameplay kind of sucked.

I disagree greatly, but I can understand the problem people had with it. It isn't like a true SRPG since each Pokemon only gets one move, it's actually kind of more like Advance Wars, some Pokemon are long range dudes and others are for close combat so you want to have a good mix of each to handle different situations.

The real problem Pokemon Conquest had was that after taking over all the cities, you just were given a bunch of stories for the characters that weren't particularly interesting and were very tedious, giving you a small portion of the map and having you conquer a handful of those cities over and over again until you unlocked the end of the game. You only had to beat a few of the stories, but the game didn't tell you which ones so unless you looked it up you were probably just going to do them one at a time and it's just so dull.

Despite that I loved the hell out of it and as I said before I'm sad we'll never see a sequel.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's been over a year so i thought i might finally play some more shield, do the postgame, buy the DLC, etc. this is my bug theme team that i ended up beating the game with. it kinda really sucks and dies to everything and is really imbalanced (i have exactly one physical attacker!), but i also love it and want to keep the bug theme going.

so since home has come out between the last time i played and now, does anyone have any cool bug-suggestions for bug-replacements for the bug-team? i definitely need to substitute at least one of these frail special attackers for a physical powerhouse.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

cheetah7071 posted:

Pokemon Conquest was a great concept but the gameplay kind of sucked. A sequel could easily make it good though, it wasn't irredeemable.

I feel it only needs small changes to work. Give Pokemon actual movesets so evolution isn't a step down for a bunch of them, remove the post-game stories or at least make them a bit more interesting, have warlord evolutions be part of the main game, do a couple of things here and there to alleviate repetitiveness and you have a great game.

Sadly being a crossover it's unlikely it'll get a second game, especially if it hasn't already.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing I didn't like about Pokemon Conquest was some of the DLC. I think they had a few legendaries that could only be recruited from time limited DLC maps. And then once they were gone that was it. I guess it fits the mythicals from the mainline games. But something like this should have just kept the extra maps listed.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Apparently there's codes you can enter to unlock the DLC episodes.

There's also a romhack for Fire Emblem 8 called Pokemblem that seems to be on that general vibe. I got my rear end kicked by the first Rattata outside of Pallet Town, so I didn't get very far.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Amppelix posted:

it's been over a year so i thought i might finally play some more shield, do the postgame, buy the DLC, etc. this is my bug theme team that i ended up beating the game with. it kinda really sucks and dies to everything and is really imbalanced (i have exactly one physical attacker!), but i also love it and want to keep the bug theme going.

so since home has come out between the last time i played and now, does anyone have any cool bug-suggestions for bug-replacements for the bug-team? i definitely need to substitute at least one of these frail special attackers for a physical powerhouse.

Scizor would be a good addition, brings Bullet Punch and U-Turn which are really useful. Araquanid might fit the bill too, using Liquidate and not doubling down on the Fire weakness like Scizor. And I think people really liked Scoliopede with Speed Boost?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

For bug types, I've always had a soft spot for Heracross. It's not really what I'd call bulky but it's not squishy either and it does hit hard. Escavalier is a Pokemon some of my friends love and it seems to fit the bill. Highly flammable but Bug/Steel with decent defences seems like it'd work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've "Finished" Pokemon Snap, and it's everything I wanted in a sequel :allears:.

My only complaint is there wasn't any trigger-an-evolution bits like in the original. Those were a lot of fun.