Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oxyclean posted:

"Wtf dude aren't you a hero?! Where are you going?"

But the point is Amber uses a streak of these sorts of things. I guess what sort of bothers me is knowing his secret by holding that back to "test" him? Like, it's not unreasonable for her to want him to be honest, but it don't think it's unreasonable to see it as kinda petty, particularly when the audience knows what Mark is getting up to.

Yeah but being petty in a relationship is 100% on brand for teenagers isn't it?

I could see a lot of adults doing that, although I agree its not the most healthy approach. But especially when they're already lying to you, it makes some sense, especially if she was waiting/hoping that maybe he would come clean on his own.

Then once you're at your limit, you're hardly in the mood for talking. Lots of people "break up" internally mentally but stay in the relationship for awhile trying to find the right words to actually say it and the right moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

stratdax posted:

It's the same lesson he needed to learn with Amber. He doesn't get to treat her however she wants and neglect her just because he's a hero, he needs to learn to respect her as a person. Otherwise he grows up to be Nolan 2.0, "she's more of a pet to me."

I like this because Mark is very clearly following his Dad's example of how to defuse the fights that his parents get into. Nolan's constantly using fine wine and little luxuries that he can fly across the world to get in order to keep his family placated. When that stops working he switches tack and explains that it's all so hard and new and he's trying, but he never actually believes any of the things he says and eventually Debbie stops letting him get away with that. Mark does the same thing with Amber, with the baul and the Mars rock, and all the promises. The difference is that Mark still sincerely believes in his promises at the end of the day.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'll repeat myself from yesterday:

When they are at the campus the relationship is already on the rocks, Mark discusses this with Eve before leaving. Amber is fairly cold towards Mark during most of their interactions prior to the attack, the warmest response she gives is a "sure, what the hell" type when he gives his whole "I want to do better, let's come here and try again, it will be better" spiel.

Within seconds the Reaniman breaks out and Amber starts helping get people to safety and Mark hesitates doing anything and she chastises him for not doing anything. When William is attacked, Mark is standing near Amber and she calls his name to, you know, get him to do something or anything and then he vanishes and she gets worried.

When he comes back after everything taken care of she gets upset that he poofed without saying a word during the whole thing and she gets angry. Like, if William hadn't pieced it together I feel he would've been pissed too because William does more before Invincible shows up than Mark does.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shabadu posted:

I like this because Mark is very clearly following his Dad's example of how to defuse the fights that his parents get into. Nolan's constantly using fine wine and little luxuries that he can fly across the world to get in order to keep his family placated. When that stops working he switches tack and explains that it's all so hard and new and he's trying, but he never actually believes any of the things he says and eventually Debbie stops letting him get away with that. Mark does the same thing with Amber, with the baul and the Mars rock, and all the promises. The difference is that Mark still sincerely believes in his promises at the end of the day.

That's a smart callout.

Aces High posted:

When he comes back after everything taken care of she gets upset that he poofed without saying a word during the whole thing and she gets angry. Like, if William hadn't pieced it together I feel he would've been pissed too because William does more before Invincible shows up than Mark does.

Yeah, that's what I was saying too. The thread is saying that doesn't make as much sense as the line "i've known for weeks" implies she did know then, and knew during the whole college trip, hence she should have been acting more like William and understaning.

But William wasn't dating Mark and there's a lot of other things going on in the relationship still.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think it's partially explained by his failures in earlier parts of the relationship, but also a bit of a writing problem because they really wanted it to be a big reveal when Amber admits that she knew for weeks, so they've got to keep their cards close to their chest and write as if she didn't know. That's why we don't get any reaction shots to her being concerned when Invincible is being pounded by the Reanimen or anything. I mean, she's seeing her boyfriend put up a tough fight to save people but as far as the writers want viewers to think at that point, she's just seeing a superhero arrive to save them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We see why when his wife takes the suit to the tailor - the age of the blood splatter on his suit indicated that he struck first.

okay but that doesn't answer either of the previous questions

Casnorf posted:

Nobody else has an obligation to sign up for that.

i don't think anyone is arguing amber is obligated to stay with mark. but the issue is that she doesn't have a problem with him being a superhero, it's that he lied to her. that's the breaking point for her.

Bust Rodd posted:

This might be a stretch, but imagine for a moment that Mark is actually hiding a drug problem, and not being a superhero, and but otherwise his behavior is basically the same. Regardless of what he is choosing to lie about, he's going about it in a way that makes him come off as a shady piece of poo poo who DOES NOT RESPECT AMBER'S TIME.

i get what you're saying here, but don't you think being a drug addict/dealer is just a tad different and less justifiable than a superhero who saves women and children from falling buildings?

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, If a cyborg is murdering my friends I'm probably going to be like "MARK DUDE HELP, STOP, COME BACK" not "heymarkIknowyou'reinvincibleitscooldon'tworryaboutyoursecretidentityjustgetinthere!"

IDK, like, of course what you're suggesting could work too, but I just don't think "You didn't do the ideal behavior so you're wrong" is a fair judgement of Amber's actions here. These are all panicking teenagers.

Which is a fair concern with secret identities in general that we don't really get to have a full conversation about.

Like can you imagine if someone was in danger, so Superman ducks into a phone booth to change his clothes, and when he gets out the person is dead already? That conveniently never happens in a Superman story, but in an Invincible story that's par for the course. Analyzing those discrepancies is what this comic/show likes to do, no?

um, i may be very confused here, but i didn't get the impression that amber broke up with him cause he took too long to change into invincible

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ccs posted:

I think it's partially explained by his failures in earlier parts of the relationship, but also a bit of a writing problem because they really wanted it to be a big reveal when Amber admits that she knew for weeks, so they've got to keep their cards close to their chest and write as if she didn't know. That's why we don't get any reaction shots to her being concerned when Invincible is being pounded by the Reanimen or anything. I mean, she's seeing her boyfriend put up a tough fight to save people but as far as the writers want viewers to think at that point, she's just seeing a superhero arrive to save them.

They should've used some of the leftover Nolan tension and added that to Amber's scenes when she was mad at Mark.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

um, i may be very confused here, but i didn't get the impression that amber broke up with him cause he took too long to change into invincible

Maybe? I've been very clear (posted like 4 times at least) she broke up with him because he lied to her, so ...

Are you saying that since she figured it out on her own, she shouldn't care that he lied? Because that doesn't make sense.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm pretty sure we have more pages devoted to Amber chat than the comic has panels featuring her

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Show Amber is way cooler than Comic Amber, I like her a lot more this time around

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 14, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Show Amber is way cooler than Comic Amber E: edit

Dangerously close to comic spoilers there.

Y'all really need to make a comic thread already.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 14, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's not even remotely close to a spoiler.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

I dunno man this is what it sounds like to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLx9WKf5mhs&t=49s

Not saying she dies; but now that's going to impact what I think about in the future of this show.

Its just better to not say stuff like that, please? Comeon. The OP made this clear.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Dangerously close to comic spoilers there.

Y'all really need to make a comic thread already.

So dangerous you still have it quoted.

:rolleyes:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The main female characters have gotten huge personality upgrades from the comics, one of the biggest I've noticed as I've been reading through the series is that Eve (and most of the other lead women) always have "hysterical" moments and they all feel the exact same. Everyone has a moment of weakness and some "unforgivable" thing happens and we get drama (sometimes really cheap and lovely drama) and when things get heated they all react to it the same way, or close enough. Something that I have already enjoyed about the difference between the show and the comics is that with new writers and creatives involved it means we are getting everyone more fleshed out and having their own unique voices, which means that everyone will have different reactions to events as well.

Amber and Eve are actually pretty identical in the comics (though saying that, I suppose an argument can be made that they are pretty identical in the show as well but the opposite of their comic personalities) and the only thing that really separates them is that Eve has superpowers and isn't helpless...all the time

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The majority of the comic is really, direly bad and I hope the show continues to take liberties. Really the more the better from here out, especially.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JT Smiley posted:

I haven't read the comics, from what Flesnolk said it sounds like Amber gets 86ed in some way?

Speaking of which, what's the easiest way to read the comic? Is it on some site I can pay a monthly fee for, binge it, then cancel after a month? I've never bought individual comics and I'm absolutely not gonna start now.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Aces High posted:

...the only thing that really separates them is that Eve has superpowers and isn't helpless...all the time

Except Eve was helpless in the last inter-dimensional alien invasion. She can change things on the molecular level, why couldn't she alter the suction cup tech to be a doughnut shape, or simply create oxygen molecules, or create a forcefield between it and her face? She just lied there dying and inspired Invincible to go Kaioken x100 to easily squeeze it off with one hand.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

pik_d posted:

I haven't read the comics, from what Flesnolk said it sounds like Amber gets 86ed in some way?

Speaking of which, what's the easiest way to read the comic? Is it on some site I can pay a monthly fee for, binge it, then cancel after a month? I've never bought individual comics and I'm absolutely not gonna start now.

or maybe dumps Mark differently

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Amber didn't know that he was specifically Invincible, she just deduced that he was one of the many thousands of superheroes in the world. He didn't need to tell her his exact identity and what he was doing, but even the slightest indication would help.

Also the reanimen attack was very fast, she wasn't using it as a test she was just reacting emotionally to him disappearing and then lying about it immediately. It's over in a few minutes it's not like she had time to think "this is the perfect opportunity to trap Mark in a lie".

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Aces High posted:

with new writers and creatives involved

It's not just new people, Kirkman is still involved and he said he's taking this opportunity to change it up. He's said he's treating this as a second draft to make things better. Also said that he was in his 20s when he started writing the comic and not exposed to different experiences outside of his own, and as he's grown up he realized how important diversity and representation are, which is why Debbie and Mark are now Korean and Amber is black, along with some gender swapping of other heros.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LRADIKAL posted:

or maybe dumps Mark differently

Or maybe she's Lana Lang

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
I don't know why we can't just agree that teenagers are just emotionally confused dumb horny idiots, and this explains pretty much everything about Mark and Amber, and leave it at that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 14, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Cursed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how they kidnapped most of the Walking Dead cast to do the character voice overs.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I don't know why we can't just agree that teenagers are just emotionally confused dumb horny idiots, and this explains pretty much everything about Mark and Amber, and leave it at that.

Judging by most of my friends in their 20s and 30s this isn't an exclusive trait of teenagers.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Just finished the comic series.
Can someone point my dumb rear end towards the spoiler thread?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There isn't one. Not yet anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/HeavenlyControl/status/1394122465161322496?s=20

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR54bHHHaWU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
""I designed my own costume" - a woman" - a man

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I clearly am though, because I don't know why they would do that - or who would want them to? Is it for people who feel embarrassed to watch kids' cartoons so they made one that kids can't watch?

I came to check out this thread after finding about this show due to the meme, and oh my god am I cackling at the boomer energy in the opening page of this thread. Lmao.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really did not expect it to catch on with a wide audience but I'm happy to be wrong!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

I really did not expect it to catch on with a wide audience but I'm happy to be wrong!

the sheer scale of the memes generated by that one scene made my head spin. thousands of the things probably.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i don't think this show is bad but it's kind of obvious that, when given the opportunity to redo things for modern audiences, they watched man of steel and went "ok we need to show what would happen if zod was winning this fight" and came up with the childishly gauche train scene

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ungulateman posted:

i don't think this show is bad but it's kind of obvious that, when given the opportunity to redo things for modern audiences, they watched man of steel and went "ok we need to show what would happen if zod was winning this fight" and came up with the childishly gauche train scene

I think the train scene is the anchor of the entire finale and probably the most hosed up thing I've ever scene on TV. I love this show and think that scene was downright brave to broadcast. In a show that really does it's very best to be woke and sensitive to a wide variety of topics, they really go out of their way to push the finale to absolutely absurd extremes that I personally was not expecting and as a result it had a much lasting impact than if it had been more like the comics.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

do we have any ratings numbers? if we go by internet meme reaction, seems it's much more popular than expected.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think the train scene threatens to push Omni Man into the “can never be redeemed” territory which is a problem if him having second thoughts about killing Mark and flying off into space is supposed to be part of a Piccolo-esque redemption arc as opposed to him just going to find the other Viltrumites so someone else can kill Mark for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Oblivious posted:

The majority of the comic is really, direly bad and I hope the show continues to take liberties. Really the more the better from here out, especially.

I'd say the comic is mostly really good actually. Its just that after a certain point, it becomes really really awful. I haven't really thought any of the changes have been an improvement aside from Cecil deploying a bunch of contingency plans against Omni-man. I think its going to cause issues later on. Somewhat vague comic book spoilers: There is one thing that I'm really worried about. Either they are going to have to have boring suplots about a character that is no longer relevant to the story, or they are going to have a character exit the story, which will cause some people on the internet to get really mad.