Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Use a snakebite tourniquet!

There's 5 hours between his post and yours, I don't think it would help at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DrVenkman posted:

Paul Walter Hauser is right. But it also goes both ways, like Disney and their Girlboss pandering leading people to elevate mediocre poo poo because it expressed politics you personally agree with. I get it, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think a lot of current criticism wasn't done with one eye on the reviewer thinking how they'll be perceived for liking/disliking something. Are we really going to pretend that we don't see it when someone mentions a piece of Art and someone else instantly wants to remind them of some *problematic* part of it?

Personally I think it's a problem that be best avoided by ignoring social media (which you also can't do because too many writers rely on it). It's an age where anything can be clipped, taken out of context and misconstrued to the wrong crowd.

I don't know, I don't think there's much to be gained by assuming everyone bringing up elements they're uncomfortable with in media or that they think have bad political implications is simply being performative. Sure, sometimes they are, but it's usually really transparent. If you start dismissing those perspectives or assigning hidden motives to them you're likely to foster a reactionary mindset where you react with hostility at anyone trying to say anything about media that has any political analysis in it.

Besides it's not like someone taking a post on CD out of context in bad faith would do anything, none of us are famous to begin with.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

therattle posted:

Fellas, fellas, please! Cogent, reasonable arguments without resorting to hyperbole and ad hominem attacks, and respectfully acknowledging the other side's views without agreeing with them is not how it's done! This is the Internet! I can't believe nobody even mentioned Hitler.

:rolleyes: look at this loving Nazi telling us what to do, get hosed!!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CPL593H posted:

I should also say that I don't think anyone is a horrible monster if they like movies with problematic elements. But I think it's okay for people to be like "No, this is not okay.". I'm sure every single one of us likes some problematic movies and I don't exclude myself. But in my case I feel like Tropic Thunder might be going too far.

This is a misunderstanding of problematization, because problematization is good. The entire point is to draw attention to and question things that seem ‘natural’ or whatever. The minute that you think that you have an unproblematic film, that is when you are within ideology.

The question is not a film’s problematicness, but whether it is interestingly so. Like, what precisely can we take from Tropic Thunder? How do we read the meta-blackface in context with the Tom Cruise character, or the makeup used to make the RDJ character ‘naturally’ blonde and blue-eyed? Are we not meant to notice that he’s got those tinted contact lenses that make him look like Aquaman?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lurdiak posted:

Comedies should be actual movies, not a series of wacky improv scenes that barely connect. Unless that's like, literally the idea, like Monty Python and The Meaning of Life.

Zoolander is a series of barely-held-together sketches, but it’s shot and edited like an actual movie. Also, Zoolander’s better than Tropic Thunder because it succeeds more at what it’s trying to do than Tropic Thunder does, and it’s way funnier. No shade to Tropic Thunder on the humor front, Zoolander’s just one of the funniest movies ever made.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Zoolander is a series of barely-held-together sketches, but it’s shot and edited like an actual movie. Also, Zoolander’s better than Tropic Thunder because it succeeds more at what it’s trying to do than Tropic Thunder does, and it’s way funnier. No shade to Tropic Thunder on the humor front, Zoolander’s just one of the funniest movies ever made.

Which makes how dire Zoolander 2 is so much worse

Although I did laugh at the joke about the School for Kids Who Wanna Read Good burning down because they made it out of the materials they used for the model

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zoolander is funnier than most comedy movies so I don’t think anything should be anything.

poo poo still makes me laugh.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Zoolander is hilarious ergo it’s a good comedy movie. Now there are different kinds of comedy movies, and some do a narrative better than Zoolander does, and that’s ok. But must of them aren’t as funny.

And if anyone disagrees with me I’ll find out where you live and spray you with skunk juice!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Paul Walter Hauser is right. But it also goes both ways, like Disney and their Girlboss pandering leading people to elevate mediocre poo poo because it expressed politics you personally agree with. I get it, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think a lot of current criticism wasn't done with one eye on the reviewer thinking how they'll be perceived for liking/disliking something. Are we really going to pretend that we don't see it when someone mentions a piece of Art and someone else instantly wants to remind them of some *problematic* part of it?

Personally I think it's a problem that be best avoided by ignoring social media (which you also can't do because too many writers rely on it). It's an age where anything can be clipped, taken out of context and misconstrued to the wrong crowd.

I'm of two minds about it. I'm not sure this is what he intended to argue, but I do think there's a tendency for people to rely on political judgments about a film's content to determine whether the movie is "good" or "bad". There can be lots of reasons for doing that, from bad faith ways to signal inclusion in an in-group to people trying in good faith to articulate reasons why they genuinely didn't like a movie. In either case, I think using a political lens solely, to the exclusion of any other way to interpret a movie, deprives someone of fully appreciating what movies can do. I also think it's the case that most people will like a movie with problematic elements if it's well-made and inventive. Like, Police Story is absolute copaganda, but it's a great movie. For a more recent example, Ari Aster's movies explore Objectivist themes, but I think very few people uncharitably label them as indulging in wrong think.

On the other hand, I don't think it's productive to throw away political analysis entirely as a method for interpreting movies, and as Lurdiak said I don't think it's productive to dismiss all such criticism as performative. Ultimately, doing so leads to a kind of conservative outlook.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It's also possible to enjoy media with worldviews you don't agree with. Just off the top of my head I like Dirty Harry and a whole bunch of other poo poo that's basically copaganda and I'm certainly not a fan of cops in real life.

And also I'm really glad I don't live in an area where scorpions will just wander into people's houses.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

And also I'm really glad I don't live in an area where scorpions will just wander into people's houses.

The idea of getting stung by a scorpion is horrifying, but the idea of living somewhere where that might happen more than once in a lifetime, jesus.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Scorpions aren't real.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The idea of getting stung by a scorpion is horrifying, but the idea of living somewhere where that might happen more than once in a lifetime, jesus.

Here's what got me about that story. It makes sense if you get stung by a scorpion because you were walking around outside with no shoes on. It does no make sense that scorpions are just stinging people sitting around the house. I'm in Massachusetts so we don't have scorpions at all and mostly don't have huge bugs and spiders that will bite you.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scorpions aren't real.

Then who is going around rocking people like a hurricane?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scorpions aren't real.

They are, and I’m rebranding them as land prawns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Here's what got me about that story. It makes sense if you get stung by a scorpion because you were walking around outside with no shoes on. It does no make sense that scorpions are just stinging people sitting around the house. I'm in Massachusetts so we don't have scorpions at all and mostly don't have huge bugs and spiders that will bite you.

Seattle and same.

I mean we have some gnarly spiders, but you only have to worry about them if you're rich enough to have a chimney and you store your wood outside.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

When I used to live in the California desert I'd have to go out to the pool every day and fish out all the dead scorpions before diving into that sweet, sweet scorpion soup. :getin:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am alive, and my back is still sore, but have obtained ZERO scorpion-based superpowers.

Fuckin’ bullshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gonz posted:

I am alive, and my back is still sore, but have obtained ZERO scorpion-based superpowers.

Fuckin’ bullshit.

It wasn't a radioactive scorpion.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

Fuckin’ bullshit.

You're posting on here with us. Have you considered the fact that maybe you died and went to Hell?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CPL593H posted:

You're posting on here with us. Have you considered the fact that maybe you died and went to Hell?

That’s impossible. I don’t even see Billy Zane from Demon Knight.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been stung by a bee three times. Really not interested in the scorpion and spider versions of that experience.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Have you guys thought about living like bubble boy? Problem solved. No more bites.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They're making an animated Ultraman movie about a baseball player who must become Ultraman in order to raise a baby kaiju.

https://twitter.com/TsuburayaGlobal/status/1392947762300391431?s=19

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

id prob take a scorpion sting over a fire ant bite. those are not fun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

id prob take a scorpion sting over a fire ant bite. those are not fun

I'm glad I don't have the life experience to make an educated guess about that.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
There is actually a pain scale for stings and bites from insects.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The worst critters we get in west Missouri are brown recluse and black widow spiders, but we've found a couple garter snakes in our house too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Garter snakes aren't dangerous at all. Black Widow is obviously dangerous and Brown Recluse will give you a nasty bite, but Garter Snakes are less dangerous than mice.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'd rather get bit by just about anything than get sprayed by a skunk.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Eric Andre is gonna be on Righteous Gemstones

https://tv.avclub.com/thank-god-jason-schwartzman-eric-andre-and-eric-robe-1846891905

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Holy poo poo, Eric Roberts is going to be on the Righteous Gemstones!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hoop Dreams posted:

Have you guys thought about living like bubble boy? Problem solved. No more bites.

Will Jake Gyllenhaal be in there with me?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Skwirl posted:

Garter snakes aren't dangerous at all. Black Widow is obviously dangerous and Brown Recluse will give you a nasty bite, but Garter Snakes are less dangerous than mice.

The garter snakes are harmless, but I still don't like randomly stumbling across one in the house and trying to remove it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Today I learned Troma helped distribute My Neighbor Totoro in the U.S.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The last time I picked up a garter snake it poo poo on me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Underground Railroad is out now! So many hours of new Barry Jenkins filmmaking.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

The last time I picked up a garter snake it poo poo on me.

I can’t believe I have to say this...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've managed to go my entire life without being stung by an insect, although a wasp once crawled up my shorts and bit me while I was sitting, inside, at my computer.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Hoop Dreams posted:

There is actually a pain scale for stings and bites from insects.

A guy lets himself get bit or stung by just about every insect imaginable for science, but the mere fact that a guy willingly got bit or stung by just about every insect imaginable makes me doubt his judgment and therefore his findings as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've only gotten stung by bees from stepping on half-dead ones. Found it more annoying than anything, but it might depend on the bee.