Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

could stand to be 40% gayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So when's the crossover with She-Ra but they keep their respective art styles

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I like the design of the woman in the middle of picture 3. The one in picture 2 (which I assume is the same person) doesn't look that good. I think it's the hairstyle.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I like the design of the woman in the middle of picture 3. The one in picture 2 (which I assume is the same person) doesn't look that good. I think it's the hairstyle.

Look at the guns on Evil-Lin (who is voiced by Lena Heady?). No wonder she doesn't wear sleeves. gently caress.

Also the voice cast is out of this world. Mark fuckin' Hamil is Skeletor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

That’s Teela. I’m gonna chock picture 2 up to a weird angle and expression because she looks MUCH better in her casual gear in picture 3 with Orko. Also it’s not in those pictures but I appreciate how they took a cue from the new She-Ra and made Prince Adam legitimately short and scrawny compared to He-Man instead of just He-Man with a shirt on like he was in the original show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've always heard that smelling toast randomly is a sign that you're having a stroke.

What does seeing triple mean? Because I'm seeing three She-Ras here!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

That’s Teela. I’m gonna chock picture 2 up to a weird angle and expression because she looks MUCH better in her casual gear in picture 3 with Orko. Also it’s not in those pictures but I appreciate how they took a cue from the new She-Ra and made Prince Adam legitimately short and scrawny compared to He-Man instead of just He-Man with a shirt on like he was in the original show.

I did like they made Teela buffer than Adam.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I did like they made Teela buffer than Adam.

I have a feeling Adam only comes up to Teela’s shoulder in this version and it’s gonna be loving hilarious to see them both together whenever he’s not He-Man.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So do we have any screens from the other upcoming cartoon yet (the one that’s more of a straight remake)?

The sequel looks good but I’m curious how they’re going to make it accessible to new viewers considering it’s a follow up to a 30+ year old cartoon

In any case, I actually enjoyed the She Ra reboot more than most it seems and hope the new shows wind up being decent as well.

Come to think of it, might it be possible for them to crossover the Netflix She-Ra with the Netflix MOTU reboot and finally bring in the “Adora is Adam’s sister” plot from the original (or would this not make sense with the former’s story, it’s been a while since I saw it)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Soonmot posted:

All shows could, honestly.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Honestly, I'd prefer they let this She-Ra show be its own story.

If the Kevin Smith MotU show runners want to do their own take on the She-Ra mythos I suppose it's up to Hasbro.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On that note, why does the Netflix She-Ra series seem to be so reviled among the MOTU fanbase? Sure they were under a lot of restrictions (like not being able to use anything from the He-Man side of things except technically Hordak/The Horde) but I appreciate it doing something unique and if anything a lot of the characters are more interesting in the reboot than they were in the 80’s series.

In fact, I’d kind of like to see a He-Man reboot that followed a similar format

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Larryb posted:

On that note, why does the Netflix She-Ra series seem to be so reviled among the MOTU fanbase?

Sexism, mostly

I look forward to hearing praises for the show where all the women appear to be tall and muscular from the very same people who complained about how She-Ra was not "feminine" enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sexism, mostly

I look forward to hearing praises for the show where all the women appear to be tall and muscular from the very same people who complained about how She-Ra was not "feminine" enough.

Having seen a bit of the original She-Ra I have to say I actually kind of like the remake better personally and even if there’s no direct crossover it might be nice if they got a few of the VAs from this series back for one of the upcoming shows.

Related, have any details about the MOTU remake that’s also coming out alongside Revelations been revealed yet?

Also I forget, I know they couldn’t use anything from the He-Man side of things for the show but was the whole bit about Adora being a princess that was taken and raised by the Horde still a thing in the remake?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 13, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Larryb posted:

On that note, why does the Netflix She-Ra series seem to be so reviled among the MOTU fanbase?
I'd guess a bunch of it is also "it's different from the thing I grew up watching, therefore bad". From what I've heard, even the original She-Ra's voice actress voiced the opinion of it being bad because it's different, before SPoP had even started airing.

quote:

Also I forget, I know they couldn’t use anything from the He-Man side of things for the show but was the whole bit about Adora being a princess that was taken and raised by the Horde still a thing in the remake?
She was raised by the Horde, but was taken in as a baby that had been pulled through a portal.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

I'd guess a bunch of it is also "it's different from the thing I grew up watching, therefore bad". From what I've heard, even the original She-Ra's voice actress voiced the opinion of it being bad because it's different, before SPoP had even started airing.

As I said above, personally I actually like SPoP better overall. The characters are more three dimensional/interesting and personally I think a straight adaption would have been boring, no offense to any fans of the original of course.

Personally I hope the He-Man reboot that’s coming out alongside Revelations follows a similar mindset but we’ll see.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sexism, mostly

It's more likely they will also hate the reboot as nothing can compare to their half-remembered memories of the show when they were eight. Complaints on why they aren't 'feminine' enough can power the outrage plant for months.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Larryb posted:

As I said above, personally I actually like SPoP better overall. The characters are more three dimensional/interesting and personally I think a straight adaption would have been boring, no offense to any fans of the original of course.

Agreed, going with a gay adaptation was way better.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Soonmot posted:

Those are rookie numbers. We need to get those numbers way up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wittgen posted:

Those are rookie numbers. We need to get those numbers way up.

i mean i was gonna go with 69% but

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sexism, mostly

You can't really understate how a bunch of white male adult nerds lost their loving mind on social media when the first image of She-Ra was released, showing her with actual muscles and wearing shorts under the skirt.

It's been a few years but I'm sure I saw some mock-ups of a "correct" She-ra getting passed around that made her look more like a fetish drawing from deviantart a ton of those same men praising as authentic in spirit to the original.

The original was a loving toy commerical.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pretty much yeah (and to be perfectly honest I wasn’t really a huge fan of the original shows as a kid. As such SPoP was actually the first show in the franchise I really enjoyed). Speaking of, is the 2002 He-Man series any good?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Agreed, going with a gay adaptation was way better.

Hell with it, every series should have a gay adaptation

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 14, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

They hate how "woke" and "SJW" it is and that it didn't look like the 80s cartoon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has the team behind SPoP done any other shows worth checking out?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The chud hand-wringing that YouTube started recommending to me after watching a few She Ra memes was enough to make me completely uninterested in any other part of the universe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

By being about teenagers fighting an evil regime, the remake became an anime. And as if that weren't bad enough, they made some bizarre aberation where the women are largely the ones doing all of the action instead of fading into the background or being motivation/cheerleaders for the male protagonist? Like wow, that's hosed up man.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

By being about teenagers fighting an evil regime, the remake became an anime. And as if that weren't bad enough, they made some bizarre aberation where the women are largely the ones doing all of the action instead of fading into the background or being motivation/cheerleaders for the male protagonist? Like wow, that's hosed up man.

I forget, how proactive were those same characters in the 80’s She-Ra series?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Pretty much yeah (and to be perfectly honest I wasn’t really a huge fan of the original shows as a kid. As such SPoP was actually the first show in the franchise I really enjoyed). Speaking of, is the 2002 He-Man series any good?

It was okay. It got cancelled before it could really pay off things.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, has the team behind SPoP done any other shows worth checking out?

Noelle Stevenson did an amazing comic called Lumberjanes you should check out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

Despite loving a lot of old shows when I was a kid like Top Cat, A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Hong Kong Phooey, Tom & Jerry, and Popeye, She-Ra and He-Man are not ones I ever watched so I couldn't tell you.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Noelle also did the comic Nimona, which I think was supposed to be turned into a movie but was stuck in development hell last time I checked.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CuwiKhons posted:

Noelle also did the comic Nimona, which I think was supposed to be turned into a movie but was stuck in development hell last time I checked.

Blue Sky Studios got bought out by Disney and all the film projects they were working on got cancelled, including Nimona :negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

HBO Max is doing a Lumberjanes cartoon

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pararoid posted:

The chud hand-wringing that YouTube started recommending to me after watching a few She Ra memes was enough to make me completely uninterested in any other part of the universe.

It was more then few women brave enough to step in it and call bullshit, saying that being into She-ra as a kid the 80s would mean all the boys made fun of you for liking a girly show, and decades later those same boys are frothing with rage that a remake doesn't have a sexbomb as the main character.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Blue Sky Studios got bought out by Disney and all the film projects they were working on got cancelled, including Nimona :negative:

Didn't they cancel it when it was nearly done too? Which is loving outrageous for an animated movie since at that point you've put so much money and years of work into it that you're just pissing it down the drain to cancel at that point. But god forbid Disney release a movie with queer themes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Despite loving a lot of old shows when I was a kid like Top Cat, A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Hong Kong Phooey, Tom & Jerry, and Popeye, She-Ra and He-Man are not ones I ever watched so I couldn't tell you.

Same honestly, I caught a bit of the originals as a kid but never really liked it all that much. SPoP is the first series in the franchise I’ve ever watched to completion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

They hate how "woke" and "SJW" it is and that it didn't look like the 80s cartoon

They're also currently losing their poo poo over Teela's redesign and that Andra is now black, so there's probably gonna be a bunch of He-Man flavoured pissbabies to go with the She-Ra ones too once it all shakes out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

They're also currently losing their poo poo over Teela's redesign and that Andra is now black, so there's probably gonna be a bunch of He-Man flavoured pissbabies to go with the She-Ra ones too once it all shakes out.

Ah yes, beloved character Andra! It's no wonder people are super passionate about this character so prevalent in every iteration of the franchise that they totally didn't look up on a wiki just like I did now to remember her.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

She-Ra herself was extremely proactive and honestly ruled, she's the centre of every episode and typically saves the day with Superman aplomb, but secondary female characters like Glimmer were extremely sidelined. Bow and Seahawk are both much more straightforward masculine hero figures who get a bit more spotlight than they really merit. Glimmer gets kidnapped like six times a season, minimum, which funnily enough was an aspect of the original show that the reboot loosely adapted in a more interesting way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how much did the Horde change personality wise in the remake (or in Catra’s case, was any of her original personality actually retained)?

I know the original Double Trouble only appeared as a toy (and I think also some children’s book they put out) at the very least.

Also were there any Horde members from the original that didn’t make it into SPoP?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 14, 2021