Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Darchangel posted:

You are a very brave man to leave the drywallers to their own devices.

They're not going to roto zip any less wires just because I'm starting at them :v:

Rexxed posted:

I'm imagining elviscat returning home to find the outside of the house covered in perfectly smooth drywall with no entrance or windows. He scratches his head, grabs both cats, gets in his car and leaves for good.

"He looks around, the beams, the framing, the new foundation, all replaced with drywall...

load bearing drywall"

It's looking pretty good, dudes are kinda dragging their feet since they're fitting this in round bigger, more profitable jobs.

Living room looking West

Living room looking North, placing those windows off-center was a deliberate decision to allow me to reuse the old header, now it's bugging me, that I can see how close to the closet wall that one is.

Bedroom looking South at the "office" part of the bedroom.

Bedroom looking North where the bed will go.

I'm so excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Jesus. All of a sudden you have a for-real house! drat fine work.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Maybe build a small corner bookcase to the right if the off-centered windows? Like a built in type look.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Agrikk posted:

Jesus. All of a sudden you have a for-real house! drat fine work.

Thanks! It's so weird after living in a ripped apart shithole for so long.

everdave posted:

Maybe build a small corner bookcase to the right if the off-centered windows? Like a built in type look.

That's a great idea! I can't really do built ins because it's an exterior wall, but a nice little set of knicknack shelves would really break that area up visually and make it less obvious what's going on.

I should really pop into the interior design thread and ask some questions, since I'm terrible at that sort of thing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've been ignoring my lawn for way too long because of the house.

Took like 3 hours to mow the ~3\4 of an acre that I keep trimmed because the mulch was too much for the 13hp Kohler.

Kastein: the growing season here has been nuts, even more so than usual, you're going to have a lot of fun with Blackberry thickets next time you go out to your parcel.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Elviscat posted:

I've been ignoring my lawn for way too long because of the house.

Took like 3 hours to mow the ~3\4 of an acre that I keep trimmed because the mulch was too much for the 13hp Kohler.

Kastein: the growing season here has been nuts, even more so than usual, you're going to have a lot of fun with Blackberry thickets next time you go out to your parcel.

That reminds me of when we bought our house, I thought I'd be ~fancy~ and get the Dewalt 40v mower, which was supposed to be pretty good at the time. Turns out the sellers apparently had a thorough fertilizing regime. I had to mow that fucker twice a week, and 17ah wasn't always enough to do it in one go. I've since bought a gas mower, and once a week is okay, and that's after neglecting it for 2 years. Stupid lawns.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I uhhh forgot to check diy for a while at like page 2 of this thread and :catstare:
Holy poo poo. Just holy poo poo. I mainlined 14 pages over the last day and a half and just wow.
"Ken of the westcoast" is a well earned title.

This thread is a testament to nothing being able to stop you.

I think you'll be done by then but if not when I'm in your neck of the woods I am down to help and will be fully vaccinated + out of contact with others for 2+ weeks.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The drywall being up makes such a big difference

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

Blackberry thickets and fun are not usually words that I associate with each other.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
There's still time to burn it down. Just saying.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Blackberry thickets and fun are not usually words that I associate with each other.

...am I the only person in the world who loves blackberry thickets? They're free berries.

Plus if you have a blackberry thicket instead of a lawn you don't have to mow it, just lop off a few creepers when it tries to escape whatever containment zone you have for it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

...am I the only person in the world who loves blackberry thickets? They're free berries.

Plus if you have a blackberry thicket instead of a lawn you don't have to mow it, just lop off a few creepers when it tries to escape whatever containment zone you have for it.

And it can be habitat for wildlife. For example huge loving rats.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

PurpleXVI posted:

PurpleXVI posted:

They send runners everywhere, their roots spread and sprout as new growth, and yeah, raccoons, rats, voles.

Blackberries come in third after bamboo and English Ivy.

I’ll happily plunder a thatch of berries along the many side roads around here, but on my property? No way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Drywall really makes that place look amazing!

Clearly you guys don't know Western Washington blackberries. We're not talking a patch here. It's more like they took over the universe with inch thick canes, half inch long thorns, big ropy tangled arches of vines that can reach 8 to 10 feet tall even without trees to climb. It's like a Windows 95 pipe factory screensaver but it wants your blood and you're trapped in it. It can reach 6 to 8 feet deep in a matter of months. It took me hours to clear a 150ft long driveway of them last August (?) and it had been clear that March.

There is no such thing as a nice little patch of blackberries in Washington. There is a world of blackberries, and small patches of freedom that must be constantly defended with the blood of patriots. They're like your nice little blackberry patch but feral and on a meth bender.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Watch out for the teapot in that case.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Facebook Aunt posted:

And it can be habitat for wildlife. For example huge loving rats.

And the snakes that follow them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

kastein posted:

There is no such thing as a nice little patch of blackberries in Washington. There is a world of blackberries, and small patches of freedom that must be constantly defended with the blood of patriots. They're like your nice little blackberry patch but feral and on a meth bender.

Tomorrow I’ll go take a picture of my back fence. I, too live in western Washington and to get my fence exposed to daylight would require a napalm drop.

During the growing season I fill my green garbage with all the clippings I can manage to hack off with a hedgehog and I basically break even from year to year.

Like I said: there’s bamboo, there’s Ivy and there’s blackberry.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh well poo poo, I guess I missed that part :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Alarbus posted:

That reminds me of when we bought our house, I thought I'd be ~fancy~ and get the Dewalt 40v mower, which was supposed to be pretty good at the time. Turns out the sellers apparently had a thorough fertilizing regime. I had to mow that fucker twice a week, and 17ah wasn't always enough to do it in one go. I've since bought a gas mower, and once a week is okay, and that's after neglecting it for 2 years. Stupid lawns.

I'd rip it all out and replace it with wildflowers, moss, and leafy groundcover if I could. Fortunately it stops growing in summer when it gets dry.

cursedshitbox posted:

I uhhh forgot to check diy for a while at like page 2 of this thread and :catstare:
Holy poo poo. Just holy poo poo. I mainlined 14 pages over the last day and a half and just wow.
"Ken of the westcoast" is a well earned title.

This thread is a testament to nothing being able to stop you.

I think you'll be done by then but if not when I'm in your neck of the woods I am down to help and will be fully vaccinated + out of contact with others for 2+ weeks.

That's high praise coming from you! Ken's still much more detail oriented then I am. Unfortunately I've been busting this project out so fast because I'm leaving town for a bit :(

MomJeans420 posted:

The drywall being up makes such a big difference

It hides all my sins! It's crazy how good these guys are, and how they're able to turn all the weird halfass old+new framing nightmares into a clean, smooth surface.

H110Hawk posted:

There's still time to burn it down. Just saying.

I'm trying, I have 6,000 watts of heat running to dry the mud, and I keep forgetting one heater's on my kitchen outlet circuit and tripping the breaker making food. Shouldn't have replaced that Zinsco panel.

PurpleXVI posted:

I do love blackberries, as a food, but Himalayan blackberries are insanely invasive and aggressive, when I moved in here you couldn't see anything off the deck, because there was a 10' high blackberry thicket blocking any sort of view, I've brushhogged, macheted, poisoned, and dug up something like 3/4 of an acre of the drat things, when they really get going they grow thorns that pierce leather, they'll clog any mower short of a tractor mounted one, and they grow back again and again.

This is the valley in back of my house, it's awesome, full of frogs, deer come through to graze, and the whole thing fills with butter cups.

That entire area, save the little strip in the middle that's too wet for blackberries to grow in, was a massive blackberry thicket, it's taken years to reclaim that area, if you look close you can see new ones sprouting up from their rizhomes all over.

They're somewhat manageable now, I broke down and started poisoning them with triclopyr, apparently triclopyr+glyphosphate is the magic bullet, but I won't use the latter.

The only good thing about them is apparently the young leaves are tender and delicious, and they're a preferred deer snack, goats are also supposed to be good for control after removing the thickets.

Side note, the drywallers left some trash on my deck, but I'm not too upset.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 14, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I'm trying, I have 6,000 watts of heat running to dry the mud, and I keep forgetting one heater's on my kitchen outlet circuit and tripping the breaker making food. Shouldn't have replaced that Zinsco panel.

:patriot:

Seriously though it looks amazing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Today I knocked off work early and got to cuttin' and weldin' some supports for my new heatpump's condenser, since the best place to put it is right over the septic drain field, I figure I'd play it safe and wall mount it.

Welding .125" thick 2" square tube, 3/32 7018 rod, about 95 amps.

Off to a rocky start:

Eh, a little better, I kinda wanted appearance grade welds. Too bad I suck at welding:

Oh well grinder and paint, right? That minor pitting is no big deal, especially since these welds won't really have any load on them.

(Ear-splitting screaming):

I don't know how I hosed up that bad, the one closer to the camera is correct.

Guess I'm cutting and butt welding the other one. That is a good signal to stop for the day.

I finally finished this project, painted and mounted it.

Thought I'd have to do some poo poo with rigging gear and stuff to get it up there, but my brother and I were able to lift it into place by main strength.

It's a little wonky because I wasn't in the mood for careful fixturing and whatnot, but it'll do, it can support me and the compressor without deflecting. Thankfully all the measurements I took 7 months ago were accurate, because I didn't bother checking.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 17, 2021

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Is that a mower that you have been mowing around?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It doesn't have a mower deck, I use it as a little tractor to tie a trailer or a sprayer.

I mowed around it with the almost completely identical riding mower.

I took the battery out to charge it about 10 months ago.

Is this what white trash feels like?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Is this what white trash feels like?

Yes

But you could do with more vehicles in the yard tbh

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You need another 4 or 5 rotting half collapsed RVs with sun bleached tatters of blue tarps over them to fit in correctly, yeah. Also several cars with flat tires and so much moss on them you can't actually tell what color they were.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah, gently caress blackberries.

Elvis, I wanna come pet Jules if you ever have a goonmeet up there. I like him. I have some spare cinder blocks to ensure the accumulated cars don't move again.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I think we'll have enough people up here for a NWAI goonmeet soon, plenty of social distancing possible on my property or Kastein's 5 acres.

My Mustang hasn't moved in two years, and has weeds growing around it, so I'm off to a good start on the rotting vehicles front.

It's my last weekend to work on the house and all I need to get done is:

-paint
-electric
-get HVAC running
-flooring
-as much trim as possible
-Keep my stupid cat out of the ceiling*

So y'know, easy.

My GF's parents invited themselves up here to help, which is thoughtful of them, but I think it's just going to add to the chaos.

I really just want to curl into a ball and die.

* Rosie found out she can slip into the false ceiling, and run around/hide in it.

I blocked her out with some old pieces of laminate flooring, and her facial expressions are priceless.

"Why would you do this to meeeeeeeeeee?"

Jules doesn't care about anything as long as I feed him twice a day, cold and rainy Saturday morning? As good an opportunity to flop down on the deck and stretch as any!

E: buttercups are much prettier than blackberries

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 22, 2021

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

kastein posted:

Drywall really makes that place look amazing!

Clearly you guys don't know Western Washington blackberries. We're not talking a patch here. It's more like they took over the universe with inch thick canes, half inch long thorns, big ropy tangled arches of vines that can reach 8 to 10 feet tall even without trees to climb. It's like a Windows 95 pipe factory screensaver but it wants your blood and you're trapped in it. It can reach 6 to 8 feet deep in a matter of months. It took me hours to clear a 150ft long driveway of them last August (?) and it had been clear that March.

Yes. My neighbor is apparently fine with blackberries, and vines keep creeping out through the fence to try and take over my yard. :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Heat pump runs, but strip heat won't loving turn off, this Honeywell thermostat is a piece of poo poo, and the instructions suck.

I'll just cut a wire if I have to.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You said Honeywell but did it come with the smart thermostat those things have? Hit the button near the right side to make the turbo heat icon turn off if it's like mine. It'll turn itself back on every time you change modes though which is annoying as poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My thermostat is a basic programmable, doesn't give me any extra info. I don't have any time to troubleshoot it and it doesn't matter.

Because HVAC's not done.

Everything's hosed up.

Floor's not in

Door's not in

Lol

And I'm out of time.

I failed.

Thanks for all the kind words and support y'all have given me over the last few months, I wish there was a better payoff.

There'll be a second chapter, this house has a few thousand hours worth of work left to turn into anything decent.

But that's the future, it's time for this thread to die as it started, hosed up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:toot: you did a monstrous amount of work in an incredibly compressed time frame. Good luck on your posting! And at your job!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You've done an absolutely mental amount of work on that place, and a good job of it too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is burning it down still on the table?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah you've done an insane amount of work, very impressive from my position.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm sorry to hear you ran out of time. What happens now?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t understand - I’m sorry to hear. Everything you’ve done has been very impressive. With the drywall up I thought it was an amazing transformation

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

I really just want to curl into a ball and die.

I'm prepping my old house for sale and this is a MOOD.

For what it's worth, you've done like 10x+ the amount of work I have on my house, and I hired some of it out and have had help from my dad on the rest. (So, really, he's the you in this analogy and I'm just following him around trying to be useful :v: )

I am curious what your next steps are as well!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I had a lot of help from my family, there's no way I would've gotten this done without them.

Sorry to be all obtuse about where all this time pressure's coming from, I'll explain in the next thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Looks like the rules for archives changed.

I'm back from yeeting a submarine into a mountain, I probably won't be doing a ton of work on the place in the near future, but there's a couple updates.

The teenagers that had the place kept it up ok I guess, they restained the deck for me which was nice.

The heat pump is working, the bills so far have been really high, but I'm pretty sure that's due to one of the ducts in the attic coming apart and dumping hot air into the void, that's all re connected and seems to be working much better now, I need to change the filter out, it's caked with about 1" of cat fur, need to look into filtered grates for the cold air returns in the floor too.

My girlfriend moved in about a month ago, which is going to make finishing the trim out downstairs... daunting.

Pictures:

Deck

Cat

Pond is a lake and the ditch is a river.

Cat

Headboard made from the shiplathe ripped out from the demo, kinda sad I didn't save more of this. (GF and my sister in law made this for my birthday)