Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think there's about a 50% chance they lose in the first round and if they don't, about a 75% change they lose in either the second or third round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

fartknocker posted:

In the heyday of the rat throwing, they just bagged them up and we’re going to throw them away or otherwise get rid of them, but employees were basically allowed to take them if they wanted. As such, my cousin ended up with 5-6 hefty bags stuffed with the things and they’d show up all over our neighborhood at random for like five years.

I feel like finding trash bags full of rats, real or otherwise, is just kind of normal in South Florida. Same with iguanas, really.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Hey, you got what you asked for, kid.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Laine has had a lovely run of luck, escaping one coach who disliked him and wanted him to fail only to be shipped to another coach who disliked him and wanted him to fail, but that is not a good look for a guy who is already known for having issues with not giving a poo poo about anything but rippin' shots.

Wow, what a stupid take. Coaches want players to fail. Gotcha.

Koth fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 12, 2021

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I think whoever comes out of the North is going to get poo poo-kicked but I'm not sure if there's some bitterness or spite in there... nahhhhh.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I think whoever comes out of the North is going to get poo poo-kicked but I'm not sure if there's some bitterness or spite in there... nahhhhh.

My sanity mostly depends on this outcome so I have to believe it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koth posted:

Hey, you got what you asked for, kid.

Wow, what a stupid take. Coaches want players to fail. Gotcha.

Lol you decided you had to defend literally the biggest loser in NHL history.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Lol you decided you had to defend literally the biggest loser in NHL history.

Lol I don't recall defending you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man, you are going to be so embarrassed about this when you realize I'm not black or indigenous.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
everyone who has ever played hockey has played with lots of laines, it is just rare one of them is good enough at shooting to make it to the NHL. more typically you find them in their natural element, mid-level beer leagues, ripping shots over the bar and talking too much in the locker room about their dodge challenger

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

some Finnish people on the reddits said this is a bit of a bad translation, there's some discussion on it in there if you'd like to read but the tl;dr is he's a lot more disappointed than furiously angry

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bewbies posted:

everyone who has ever played hockey has played with lots of laines, it is just rare one of them is good enough at shooting to make it to the NHL. more typically you find them in their natural element, mid-level beer leagues, ripping shots over the bar and talking too much in the locker room about their dodge challenger

lol yeah you're not wrong.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Aye Doc posted:

some Finnish people on the reddits said this is a bit of a bad translation, there's some discussion on it in there if you'd like to read but the tl;dr is he's a lot more disappointed than furiously angry

i saw an interview with merzlikins where he basically said the same thing ('i just want this season to be over and forget about it' or whatever) but however bad the translation is i think its probably not a great sign when the player who should, in terms of investment, probably be the core of your franchise, is openly expressing that degree of disappointment/frustration rather than the standard 'ah well yknow we tried hard and we're building and we think we grew a lot as a team and we'll be ready to come out strong next year' hockey player talk. like, it takes a hell of a lot to cause a player to break through the hockey player canned response wall and actually show that kind of emotion

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Laine regularly speaks his mind, including talking about being disappointed in himself. Its not new. It won't be the last time.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fartknocker posted:

In the heyday of the rat throwing, they just bagged them up and we’re going to throw them away or otherwise get rid of them, but employees were basically allowed to take them if they wanted. As such, my cousin ended up with 5-6 hefty bags stuffed with the things and they’d show up all over our neighborhood at random for like five years.

This would be a kick-rear end accessory for Halloween decorations in your yard.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Laine regularly speaks his mind, including talking about being disappointed in himself. Its not new. It won't be the last time.

Yeah but now that he's moved to a bigger market he should be a bit more careful.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Athletic has an interview with Derek Boogard's family 10 years after his passing. As you might expect, it's soul crushing.

quote:

Around the time Boogaard was hurt, the Rangers changed a team rule that forced injured players to leave the training facility before healthy players arrived. Avery wrote in his book that he and his teammates, which included the likes of Marian Gaborik and Brandon Prust, felt the new edict was specifically directed to keep Boogaard away from the team.

That’s when Boogaard fell into a deep depression. He became a recluse in his condo on the 33rd floor of The Sheffield apartment building overlooking New York’s Central Park. He sat in the dark because sunlight gave him severe headaches. He self-medicated with alcohol and painkillers, some prescribed, others obtained illegally. He feasted on fast food. He laid around for hours and constantly texted family and friends.

The constant phone calls and texts convinced Len, the retired RCMP officer, that this went beyond post-concussion syndrome.

He suspected his son was abusing opioids again.

When he arrived at his son’s apartment, he found Derek despondent and unrecognizable. It looked like he hadn’t showered in a while. Boogaard collapsed into his father’s arms and cried, Len says, for days.

“Here was this 6-8 giant, toughest guy in the NHL, and I was holding him,” Len says. “Him just crying like a baby, just wondering what had gone wrong, why everything had gone the way it had.”

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/davemckinney/status/1392653975896403973?s=21
Liquidate the Chicago [REDACTED] please

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Koopa Kid posted:

[...] so long as you discount the multiple (!) times where bad-angle nothing shots phase through his body in elimination games [...]

This is the part that baffles me most about him, in the beginning I thought he was just unlucky.
Most of the time he's at a decent angle with respect to the shot, he's depth looks ok too, but somehow he gives just enough space that lets goals in. I often need a slowed down replay to see the gap that occurred.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1392844812471181320

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The book about him is very good, and I'm never touching it again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LowOnCyan posted:

This is the part that baffles me most about him, in the beginning I thought he was just unlucky.
Most of the time he's at a decent angle with respect to the shot, he's depth looks ok too, but somehow he gives just enough space that lets goals in. I often need a slowed down replay to see the gap that occurred.

It also gives an idea of just how insanely loving good NHL players are, to even be able to see that gap in real time with an NHL defender harassing you, much less shoot a puck through it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What the hell is PTS/A.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What the hell is PTS/A.

Adjusted Points

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What the hell is PTS/A.

Buffalo and Vancouver fans probably read this automatically as PTSD from watching their teams.

And hell. Flyers fans too sure.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

LowOnCyan posted:

Yeah after the 2018 Boston series I was still like "Sucks that these things happen, but that's goaltending"

But looking back:

ANH v CHI 2016: Kane OT winner, bad angle five hole
TOR v WAS 2017: Wilson OT winner, bad angle from distance no screen
TOR v BOS 2018: DeBrusk game 7 winner, backhand straight through him
TOR v BOS 2019: Nordstrom game 7 opening goal, bad angle straight through him
TOR v COL 2020: Foudy game 5 insurance goal, identical to the Nordstrom goal

Every single one of those is a "rewind that back because there's no way that should go in" goal, and all pretty crucial moments.

And I'm not even getting into how he's probably the worst in the league against breakaways over his career, or his patented falling over move on cross ice passes that somehow leaves both the entire bottom and top of the net exposed simultaneously, cause both of those are captured in the fact that he has the worst high-danger sv% of starters in the league. It's that he also lets in those back breakers while being relatively bad against standard NHL chances that does it.

I shouldn't even care because he's the backup now and won't be a Leaf next year but 2019 really broke my brain so here we are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/status/1392826041652162566

drat near certain bet this is Doughty

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The playoffs schedule is out.

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/14920

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1392869960087650310

This is really good. He did some work on MSG this season and was fun to listen to.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So the Leafs reward for winning their division will be to start the playoffs 5 days late and play games 3/4 back to back in Montreal, because Bettman wants to broadcast three regular season day games featuring already eliminated teams uninterrupted.

Just mad his "Carey Price is still the best goalie in the league and will take Montreal to the top" take aged like milk

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Koopa Kid posted:

So the Leafs reward for winning their division will be to start the playoffs 5 days late and play games 3/4 back to back in Montreal, because Bettman wants to broadcast three regular season day games featuring already eliminated teams uninterrupted.

Just mad his "Carey Price is still the best goalie in the league and will take Montreal to the top" take aged like milk

speaking of Price...

The Athletic posted:

Last year, Price’s save percentage in the bubble finished at .936. It was at .933 during the 2017 playoffs. In 2015 it was .920, the year before that it was .919. Over the last decade, among goalies who have played at least 20 playoff games, Price’s save percentage of .924 is eighth-best in the NHL, in a virtual tie with his backup Jake Allen.

10.5M cap hit, virtually tied with his backup :shepface:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Never pay a goalie™

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Goalies are like the drummers of hockey. They should just consider themselves lucky to hang out with the rest of the team.

I guess that makes the bassist the defensemen, the guitarists are the wingers, and the singers are the centers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Kite posted:

Goalies are like the drummers of hockey. They should just consider themselves lucky to hang out with the rest of the team.

As a drummer I both hate this sentence, and it also was how I felt 😔

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen a bunch of beer league games with no goalie and players play their best hockey when they're scared that every shot is a goal. But you can't just delete goalies completely or that fear fades and coaches come up with ways to mitigate the problem.

So my proposal is that goalies are attached to the arena, and are provided as temporary power ups to a team. Instead of putting someone in the box that on a penalty, the other team gets a goalie for ten minutes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

xzzy posted:

I've seen a bunch of beer league games with no goalie and players play their best hockey when they're scared that every shot is a goal.

Ayres' Law

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I've seen a bunch of beer league games with no goalie and players play their best hockey when they're scared that every shot is a goal. But you can't just delete goalies completely or that fear fades and coaches come up with ways to mitigate the problem.

So my proposal is that goalies are attached to the arena, and are provided as temporary power ups to a team. Instead of putting someone in the box that on a penalty, the other team gets a goalie for ten minutes.

Just play posts and crossbar

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1392869960087650310

This is really good. He did some work on MSG this season and was fun to listen to.

He's been on the NHL Network a bit as well and was solid along with being pretty funny when Mike Rupp is on.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Toronto is either going all the way or getting bounced out in the first round - there's no in-between.

Option C: Barely avoiding a cataclysmic choke in the 1st round, before rolling through to the finals, causing everyone to declare this team has finally broken the curse and is good enough to go all the way, taking the first two games of the finals before losing in 7 to Boston.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Finally...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Excited to watch the Canucks-Flames series of pointless games. Wtf NHL?