Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I got those spring rolls. My family enjoyed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I really enjoy those spring rolls. They were a pretty good party food.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah I bought them last time too. They're pretty good.

The only problem I have is that there's only 4 packets of that soy ginger sauce so if you're gonna heat up like 2 spring rolls as a quickie snack, no sauce for you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Can you roast frozen normandy blend vegetables? Do they work well for roasting in general? I usually throw some in a pot and "steam" them for 5 minutes or so but I recently roasted some veggies a while ago and it was WAY better.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Can you roast frozen normandy blend vegetables? Do they work well for roasting in general? I usually throw some in a pot and "steam" them for 5 minutes or so but I recently roasted some veggies a while ago and it was WAY better.

The texture isn’t quite as good as fresh veggies, but at 425 in the oven for 30ish minutes, some olive oil, salt, pepper and a hint of red pepper works well. It’s a 2x/week easy side dish for a lazy meal around my house.

Give it a try—if the texture doesn’t do it for you, you can always add them to a stock when you’re maximizing the value of your $5 Costco chicken’s bones.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I like to rinse my Normandy blend before roasting; they have a thin layer of ice applied at the factory to prevent freezer burn or something, and that steams up if you toss them directly in the oven. A quick rinse removes most of it, and while you could blot off all the excess moisture, I just shake off as much water as I can over the sink and use the remaining moisture to get any seasonings to stick better. Ripping hot oven at 425, roast until they look good.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AKZ posted:

Word on the street is Pennywise has never bought a rotisserie chicken despite hanging out in the costco thread.

We feast on the bird then throw the leftovers into tacos or enchiladas.

And then....

Take the carcass, but it in a large pot of water. Put it on the stove, on low, overnight, with a lid. In the morning fish out anything solid, and you now have perfect chicken broth.

Alternate ending: throw in a handful of the mini wontons that Costco sells. You now have perfect wonton soup.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

pnumoman posted:

I like to rinse my Normandy blend before roasting; they have a thin layer of ice applied at the factory to prevent freezer burn or something, and that steams up if you toss them directly in the oven. A quick rinse removes most of it, and while you could blot off all the excess moisture, I just shake off as much water as I can over the sink and use the remaining moisture to get any seasonings to stick better. Ripping hot oven at 425, roast until they look good.

Oh poo poo I forgot the thawing process. Yes, dethaw before cooking. Personally I throw it into a pasta strainer and leave it in water for 30 mins and drain it out for a bit, because it’s not your best meal, it’s your easiest meal. Keep this in mind.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 13, 2021

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The North Tower posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot the thawing process. Yes, dethaw before cooking. Personally I throw it into a pasta strainer and leave it in water for 30 mins and drain it out for a bit, because it’s not your best meal, it’s your easiest meal. Keep this in mind.

Same with their frozen, cooked shrimp. If you don't let them thaw in a strainer, you'll end up with ton of shrimp-water in whatever you're putting them in.

I give them a quick sauté in butter and garlic. If you don't let them thaw first, you end up with a pan of butter water.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

GORDON posted:

And then....

Take the carcass, but it in a large pot of water. Put it on the stove, on low, overnight, with a lid. In the morning fish out anything solid, and you now have perfect chicken broth.

Alternate ending: throw in a handful of the mini wontons that Costco sells. You now have perfect wonton soup.

This except toss it in your instant pot for an hour with whatever stock type veggies you have in the fridge. And then make Ramen with it after.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Has anyone bought an appliance at Costco? The LG fridge I have been looking at for awhile (very few fridges will fit the space we have) went on sale.

Yes. If you catch the right sale you can save a good chunk of money, but their day to day prices really aren't that great. I bought my fridge during a 4th of July sale at Home Depot.

They did have a hell of a deal on the washer/dryer pair we wanted. I jumped on that really quick. The best thing about Costco appliances is the extra warranty coverage. They extended the manufacturer warranty to 2 years, I bought the square trade warranty, and then the Citi Costco card extended the overall warranty another 2 years. Years 1 and 2, factory, 3-5 Squaretrade, 5-7 Citi, so 7 years of warranty coverage is tough to beat

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

GORDON posted:

This is a revelation!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AKZ posted:

This is a revelation!

"As we enlighten one, we enlighten all."
~ Costco 8:19

(funnier because we're on page 819)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What apples are good right now? I asked this a couple of months ago and the answer was 'pink lady' which was very much correct. I know that apples go in and out of season though, so which ones are good right now?

Also the cuties I get have been tasteless or tasty, depending on my luck. Are they out of season too? How does fruit get sold all year 'round? Does that mean that at some point you're eating 11-month-old cold storage fruit and the next month you're eating freshly picked fruit?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can only assume Red Delicious are the best apples, they've got delicious right in the title

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Yes. If you catch the right sale you can save a good chunk of money, but their day to day prices really aren't that great. I bought my fridge during a 4th of July sale at Home Depot.

They did have a hell of a deal on the washer/dryer pair we wanted. I jumped on that really quick. The best thing about Costco appliances is the extra warranty coverage. They extended the manufacturer warranty to 2 years, I bought the square trade warranty, and then the Citi Costco card extended the overall warranty another 2 years. Years 1 and 2, factory, 3-5 Squaretrade, 5-7 Citi, so 7 years of warranty coverage is tough to beat

Thanks, I ordered the fridge for 1) $250 on sale and 2) they say they actually have stock of them, which no other store says

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I can only assume Red Delicious are the best apples, they've got delicious right in the title

Please stop perpetuating this horrible lie. That gritty, mealy, lie.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Can someone let me know if they ever see those natural gas standby generators on sale? I think they’re either Honeywell or Generac.

The store near me doesn’t carry them. There’s one in the area that does, and I would go get one if they went on sale again, but I don't usually get over there so I don’t really have a way to check prices short of calling them every couple weeks. They're not listed on the site either, "generac standby generators" just takes you to a generic page advertising the product but there's no products/prices listed.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 13, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Renegret posted:

Yeah I bought them last time too. They're pretty good.

The only problem I have is that there's only 4 packets of that soy ginger sauce so if you're gonna heat up like 2 spring rolls as a quickie snack, no sauce for you.

so eat a minimum of 1/4 the box at a time, got it

thanks all, gonna try them next time.

redreader posted:

What apples are good right now?

cosmic crisp if you can get them, though that's likely a regional thing since they're only grown in WA right now

some fruits are designed to be warehouse stored (some apples develop better flavor this way) but greenhouse or southern hemisphere growers tend to be the more likely sources for what's otherwise out of season.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 13, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

redreader posted:

What apples are good right now? I asked this a couple of months ago and the answer was 'pink lady' which was very much correct. I know that apples go in and out of season though, so which ones are good right now?

Also the cuties I get have been tasteless or tasty, depending on my luck. Are they out of season too? How does fruit get sold all year 'round? Does that mean that at some point you're eating 11-month-old cold storage fruit and the next month you're eating freshly picked fruit?

Apples right now are either coming from South America via boat or are coming out of coolers that have atmospheric controls. Some apples keep incredibly well. The only thing Red Delicious is good for though is throwing.

Mostly when you're eating produce out of season is because it is being transported from somewhere that's currently in season. Some things like bananas can be picked very green and held for extremely long times before having ripening induced, but most produce is planted and harvested at varying latitudes so that there's uninterrupted supply. For example, celery is planted everywhere from Mexico to Canada, just at different times of the year. In February, it's coming from Mexico and Southern California. In August, it's coming from Canada.

Source: I work at a wholesale produce brokerage.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Psion posted:

so eat a minimum of 1/4 the box at a time, got it

thanks all, gonna try them next time.

cosmic crisp if you can get them, though that's likely a regional thing since they're only grown in WA right now

some fruits are designed to be warehouse stored (some apples develop better flavor this way) but greenhouse or southern hemisphere growers tend to be the more likely sources for what's otherwise out of season.

WAAAAH I SAW COSMIC CRISP AND DIDN'T GET THEM! I only just saw this reply. I got gala and envy, and of those, Envy are twice the size and also nicer.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of the apple feedback! I got Envy and Gala, and had a bite of one of each (I do myfitnesspal and noticed that I do really well when I can have an apple cut up into cooked oatmeal for breakfast, and my diet falls apart when I don't have 'the exact diet foods'), and the Envy was about 1.5x nicer than the gala which was still decent. The gala is also about 1/2 the size or less, of the envy.

They've also replaced the green tea / strawberry / mango mochi with some other brand that has cookies and cream / strawberry / mango. I bought one but haven't tried it.

The tacquitos I had in the freezer that we finished recently, are chicken and cheese El Monterey brand. IDK how authentic they are since I've never seen tacquitos being sold in a Mexican take out place (I'm in CA) but they're really great.

The biggest 'holy poo poo this is great' food I've got from costco recently are the Yasso frozen greek yoghurt mint choc chip bars. 100 calories, not small (about 2x larger than mochi, which is also 100 cals) and tastes fantastic. I got 150 dollars back after spending 150 dollars of my reward. PBUC!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Cosmic crisp is all the consumer upsides of honey crisp (sweetness, crunch) without any of the producer downsides (delicate skin that leads to bruising, browning and tearing, requiring special shipping/storing methods). I think it has New Food prices right now, but it’s supposed to undercut honeycrisp in the near term.

They taste great. Nobody likes ‘en mealy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The North Tower posted:

That's what I'm all about. Easy. Good stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fallom posted:

I think my house is Costco

Costco backyard

- play house
- gazebo
- led hanging lights
- pellet grill
- i have a motion light in the box to replace the one by the door
- collapsible hammock (not pictured)

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Apple varieties are starting to sound like weed strains

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

pacerhimself posted:

When I saw the cosmic crisp talk I thought maybe I had gotten my tabs mixed up and I was in the TCC weed thread. :350:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

pacerhimself posted:

Hey man, these Jazz Apples are going to gently caress YOU UP.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Apple Cough

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Check out these zoomed in pictures of my honey crisp. Dude, those crystals? Pure fructose.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The jazz apples have more of a chill, full-body feel and the honeycrisp is more in your head

I'm on vacation right now in Hawaii and as a savvy traveler, I am buying all my groceries at Costco.

I don't know how anyone lives here and can afford to shop at other stores.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Little known fact, you can create a Cosmic Crisp pipe out of a Red Delicious

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I like snapdragon apples, and I'm on the lookout for cosmic crisp but I haven't seen it yet here in NJ. I want Costco to start stocking the novel tasting grapes tbh; moondrops look freaky as hell but taste godly and I can't seem to get them steadily anywhere. They pop up every now and then though, I guess they're either hard to grow or unpopular. Maybe it's a good thing Costco doesn't have them since they probably have an insane amount of sugar in them. They're so good though :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ambrosia apples are my fav but I think those are fairly localized to my area.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

FogHelmut posted:

Costco backyard

- play house
- gazebo
- led hanging lights
- pellet grill

Dope rear end back yard

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FogHelmut posted:

Costco backyard

- play house
- gazebo
- led hanging lights
- pellet grill

Feelin' like I'm goin thru the pages of the Costco Connection.

I picked up a toilet seat and realized that the toilet it was intended for is round, not elongated. And the other two toilets in my home are elongated, but not white.

Son of a gun.

Still got my communion and enjoyed it.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Idk if they have them at Costco but I got some Kanzi apples at Fareway yesterday and it was one of the best apples I've ever tasted.

I'd never heard of them before, kind of an impulse buy, so I went and googled it. They're a Gala/Braeburn cross.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 14, 2021

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Just bought my wife the Tresanti(?) desk that has a motor to adjust it from sitting to standing and a built in wireless charger. That makes 2 We’ve gotten and we loooooove them. If you’re on the fence, grab one.

We paid $249.99 for this one, snagged mine on sale for $199.99. I would have probably paid twice that

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
so if an apple a day keeps the doctor away

what do I need to keep the lame rear end apple dorks away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nooner posted:

so if an apple a day keeps the doctor away

what do I need to keep the lame rear end apple dorks away?

An IBM.