Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

When I get some land it'll be in the woods and there'll be just enough tools to make a nice cabin and maybe other smaller buildings. Only people allowed are close friends and total babes who are willing to play along with my "top secret agent in self exile in the forest until called back for One Last Job" fantasies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

this was literally the entire idea behind rancho 290. i wanted to build a workshop with a nice mill and a lathe and a reflow station and a paint booth but I knew that i could only use them a few hours a week. i wanted to build a commune where the machines would be put to work a good 40 a week. book some mill time, water the tomatoes and attend a comrade's cross stitch class in your downtime.

it sucks that real estate insanity destroyed that dream but if the opportunity to collab with somebody else with more capital comes up i'll put my skin in that game.

thre were a few things like this in london when i lived there

one was a maker hub with a bunch of tools, 3d printers, that kinda nerd stuff. it was community run and you paid a monthly sub and had 24 hour access. they ran teaching and collab events there too to help people learn

there was also rental workshops where you could book a bay with a hoist and stuff to do work on your car, and another similar place for motorbike wrenching. they were more of a commercial operation and had mechanics on-site at all times to make sure people didn’t kill themselves and you could book their time to help you if you wanted

all sounded super cool but i never had the guts/motivation to go :/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah my idea is basically like a hackerspace you live at as well.

We have some of those rental shops in Denver, they're a great idea.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
techshop here in SF closed down :-(

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
what about the one where homeless people would poop on the soldering irons?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s the gate keeping like at those places?

shoeberto posted:

Last year was the last new model year, they're replacing the line with a full EV in the same size range. We just went through buying one last summer to replace my wife's old one that got totaled. It was tough to find a manual but we did it!

so we are both owners /drivers of a manual honda fit?

lol mines older

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had a professor that did that. the overall theme of the house they bought in the country together was "play", so it had basically a ton of hobby stuff, a ton of art stuff, a bunch of games, and a sick library; almost certainly a good bar. the prof i knew wasn't into drugs other than alcohol but i'd be kinda surprised if a lot of weed weren't involved. i remember him saying that for some people play was raising chickens

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

what about the one where homeless people would poop on the soldering irons?

idk the hackerspace thing seems real heavy on people writing code so naturally they are anaethema to me

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

echinopsis posted:

so we are both owners /drivers of a manual honda fit?

lol mines older

Hell yeah my dude
Our old one was a 2010 or 2011 model year, and then our neighbor's house burned down and the heat totaled it out. The new one is I think a 2017 model year? Had to buy it used because all the new inventory was swallowed up by the aforementioned pre-discontinuation hype (plus the pandemic car buying surge)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

SIIIIIIIIIMPSOOOOOOON

i know, he’s such a little poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

i would take a random guess that some are open and welcoming and some are closed and lovely. just spitballing here. they're not a monolith

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theoretical rancho 290 would require proof of not being registered as an R voter, and that's about it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
god drat it sliced pretty good into my finger while chopping fennel. it’s bled enough i could probably have used a stitch but a lol and b double lol during a pandemic

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

rotor posted:

techshop here in SF closed down :-(

Abloo

mystes
May 31, 2006

mediaphage posted:

god drat it sliced pretty good into my finger while chopping fennel. it’s bled enough i could probably have used a stitch but a lol and b double lol during a pandemic

There's always superglue

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
butterfly bandages, super glue (med grade) and quikclot are always on hand here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

root vegetables: delicious but deadly

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

root vegetables: delicious but deadly
Yeah but you should see the fennel

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i couldn’t find the bandages. i have no clue where they could have gone so gauze and tape it is. i considered using the styptic powder we keep on hand for the parrots lol

mystes posted:

lmao

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
Just splay your fingers toward the cutting edge with the dullest, most banged up knives you have until you've removed enough of your fingertips to always clear the blade

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

xD

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that’s how penguin removed his fingerprints in the old batman movie.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also fennel is super good in potato soup, and in many other dishes as well. overall a solid 9/10 root vegetable.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I use a traffic scone to fennel hot tarts up my rear end

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

please, we dont want to start this up again

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hhhnnnggggggggg

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

fennel evolved to taste bad so you wouldn't eat it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

just like cilantro

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

that's right

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

also fennel is super good in potato soup, and in many other dishes as well. overall a solid 9/10 root vegetable.

yeah p good, though this i fried in the skillet i crisped up a water bath pork loin in (served with wholegrain mustard / green onion / green garlic sauce).

this fennel had a pronouhnced appley cinnamony flavour. a+

gently caress i hate tuping with my finger covered

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

just like cilantro

oh look president beep with another terrible opinion, very shock

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

yeah p good, though this i fried in the skillet i crisped up a water bath pork loin in (served with wholegrain mustard / green onion / green garlic sauce).

this fennel had a pronouhnced appley cinnamony flavour. a+

hell yeah

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

oh look president beep with another terrible opinion, very shock

my dear goon, that is a fact.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lol if you have good opinions

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

my dear goon, that is a fact.

it's so loving weird

people who don't like cilantro wear it as a badge of honor

like they're proud of having a child's palate and will instantly spit out a taco or pho that has some cilantro resting on top

it's like those picky eater groups being proud of their disfunction

like, people have food preferences thats fine, i'm not abig fan of carrots

but i don't go shouting from the roof tops "OH MY GOD CARROTS ARE JUST THE WORST I HAVE A SPECIAL GENE THAT MAKES THEM TASTE LIKE CILANTRO"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

does carrot taste like soap to you? hosed up

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

mediaphage posted:

Must be an ill wind blowing today. I sliced my left ring finger while prepping for dinner. Was a bit worried at first about stitches but it's aight.

Coincidentally I sharpened my chef's knife a few weeks back. Might be related.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

if you think you might enjoy a weed. i've been into edibles in 2021 now that the price has come down in canada and my honest suggestion is to work your way up via low doses there.

here they get sold in 10mg thc, 10mg cbd, or 10/10 thc/cbd. the latter is a little stronger than just thc alone

you can get the thc only in 4-square chocolate bars and just take one square. give it 2-4 hours. don't plan on taking any more for that day/night. next time take two squares. etc. the results are pretty consistent compared to smoking/vaping juice or bud

the last time I seriously did a weed was flying out of denver to go to sf and we had bought way too much weed and edibles. so I ate like 30mg in the taxi on the way to the airport and then proceeded to silently freak the gently caress out as we flew over the rockies in turbulence and decided that planes where an affront to nature and that man's hubris in invading the air would destroy him. not particularly wrong but made me realize weed is just not for me.

then after that I took some shrooms and had recently learned of electrons randomly blinking out of existence. was afraid to fall asleep because what if all my electrons blinked out of existence at the same time and i never saw my now wife again? had to get my cousin and his now wife to come over and sleep near me to make sure i wouldn't stop existing.

give me some loving lsd though I love that poo poo.

drugs are a land of contrast you see.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive smoked entire trees and even i wouldnt go on a flight out of or into denver high. gently caress that turb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KidDynamite posted:

the last time I seriously did a weed was flying out of denver to go to sf and we had bought way too much weed and edibles. so I ate like 30mg in the taxi on the way to the airport and then proceeded to silently freak the gently caress out as we flew over the rockies in turbulence and decided that planes where an affront to nature and that man's hubris in invading the air would destroy him. not particularly wrong but made me realize weed is just not for me.

then after that I took some shrooms and had recently learned of electrons randomly blinking out of existence. was afraid to fall asleep because what if all my electrons blinked out of existence at the same time and i never saw my now wife again? had to get my cousin and his now wife to come over and sleep near me to make sure i wouldn't stop existing.

give me some loving lsd though I love that poo poo.

drugs are a land of contrast you see.

if all your electrons disappeared you would just become very conductive but you’d survive and be back to normal with a couple static electricity shocks to fill those electron levels back up