Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I just got an eye exam for the first time in like 2 years so I was all ready to pull the trigger on some vroptician lenses. My eyes are dogshit however (like -8.5/-9, both cyl at -3.75) and the lenses cost a cool $169. I still wanna get em, but before I do, are there any other places I should shop around at before I pull the trigger with vroptician?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044336647.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.41a31a4cy7P31q

I got these since I'm at like -6. For $60 (sliding price based on strength) they work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Problem is that the lenses themselves are pretty expensive, since they gotta be high index to be reasonably thin. If I had to guess, I'd predict that the zenni route might end up being cheaper, but possibly a worse overall lens. But it doesn't seem like basically just the lenses should be quite that expensive, so I guess I was wondering if they had any legit competitors in that space or if vroptician is really the only game in town.

edit: ^^^^ oooh, that's an interesting development

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 13, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You can request a new Quest facial interface if you bought your Quest 2 before Jan 4th
https://support.oculus.com/1504463656600795
https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/es-es/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001267272

In other Q2 news
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1392565806819684356

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

It's if it was manufactured before Jan 4th, doesn't matter when you bought it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sweet, backup facial interface here I come

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They really buried the lead on Quest 2 performance and capability didn’t they?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Ok I think Demeo has become my new ADHD hyperfixation because not only do I constantly want to play it, I am also looking for lets plays and other people's reactions. I am going to be so annoying about this stuff

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How does the MP work. I think I’d like the game but I don’t have anyone around here to play with.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I'm really excited for the Vive Pro 2, because I already have the OG Vive ecosystem, complete with wireless adapter and Index controllers. The wireless capabilities were what kept me from upgrading, and I really didn't like the Quest 2. Seeing as how I never even expected a follow up from HTC, this is great news to me.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How does the MP work. I think I’d like the game but I don’t have anyone around here to play with.

You can host a game, set it to private or public. You can join a game using the room code, or as I have constantly done it click quickplay.

Quickplay will put you into a random public room that has less than 4 players. Often you will join a game in progress but that never really hurts you since you dont get xp levels and it gives you a good amount of cards.

The game has no role limits so you are free to play what you want. You can go 4 tanks and just march through the dungeon if you want.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any overarcing leveling or unlock/class system that give you better abilities next time you play or is it all contained to each game session?

Edit: VV :tipshat:
I'm a little bummed about that, it'd be cool to have a character you leveled up between sessions.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 13, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It's all contained and reset each game. The only things you unlock are cosmetic.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duck_King posted:

I'm really excited for the Vive Pro 2, because I already have the OG Vive ecosystem, complete with wireless adapter and Index controllers. The wireless capabilities were what kept me from upgrading, and I really didn't like the Quest 2. Seeing as how I never even expected a follow up from HTC, this is great news to me.

Careful, Someone will come in soon and tell you its a waste of money because wireless wont be 5k.

Enjoy the massive upgrade man. I cannot imagine going og vive to vive pro 2. Its going to be insane for you.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

EbolaIvory posted:

Careful, Someone will come in soon and tell you its a waste of money because wireless wont be 5k.

Enjoy the massive upgrade man. I cannot imagine going og vive to vive pro 2. Its going to be insane for you.

Yeah, I've never hated the Vive like most of the posters here, and I thought a lot of the criticism was completely overblown. The increase in visual fidelity will certainly be nice, but I've never felt like I absolutely needed to upgrade. The main thing I wanted was a higher FOV and slightly sharper visuals. Everything else is just bonus.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I am still on the vive and enjoying it. did have to switch to index controllers though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Tried Sairento last night. Basically just did the tutorial but it seems pretty janky and lovely so far. Also tried out some of the other movement options in Alyx. I wish there was a way to move like in Robo Recall where the left stick controls the direction you end up facing with the snap movement setup. Seems like it will shunt you forward but then you have to click around if you want to say, keep an enemy in sight. I know the teleport mode lets you pivot on landing but it’s a little finicky. Robo Recall just points you in the direction you push the stick which is super intuitive for me. Though in RR you can’t use the right stick to pivot in place which is super annoying.

I think if I didn’t have this cord tethering me to my pc I’d feel much more comfortable spinning around.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Any recommended cheap but good 5m usb a to c cable for the quest 2? Is there a spec or data rate to aim for?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nope, if it's any variant of USB 3 then it'll run perfectly, just get one with a 90 degree bend on the USB-C connector so it runs flush with the headset.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nope, if it's any variant of USB 3 then it'll run perfectly, just get one with a 90 degree bend on the USB-C connector so it runs flush with the headset.

Or buy an adapter.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

GTO posted:

Any recommended cheap but good 5m usb a to c cable for the quest 2? Is there a spec or data rate to aim for?

Have you considered going wireless?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Stan Taylor posted:

Tried Sairento last night. Basically just did the tutorial but it seems pretty janky and lovely so far. Also tried out some of the other movement options in Alyx. I wish there was a way to move like in Robo Recall where the left stick controls the direction you end up facing with the snap movement setup. Seems like it will shunt you forward but then you have to click around if you want to say, keep an enemy in sight. I know the teleport mode lets you pivot on landing but it’s a little finicky. Robo Recall just points you in the direction you push the stick which is super intuitive for me. Though in RR you can’t use the right stick to pivot in place which is super annoying.

I think if I didn’t have this cord tethering me to my pc I’d feel much more comfortable spinning around.

Sairento should be like 5bux, the game doesn't have much going on and is basically a novelty ala early Halflife mods. I respect that it probably took a lot of work but it's just not worth what is being asked.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Sairento should be like 5bux, the game doesn't have much going on and is basically a novelty ala early Halflife mods. I respect that it probably took a lot of work but it's just not worth what is being asked.

I guess I just have fonder memories of it so its still fun.

But honestly I still like it. Should be like 10 bucks or less tho for sure, its old. But its still a fun/decent time imo. And there IS a lot of stuff to mess with on loadouts and stuff.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

that steamVR world scale feature is pretty cool. i've always felt like h3vr is just a touch too small and you can adjust it all the way up to enormous guns

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Scale in VR is fascinating and harder than one expects to get feeling ok.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Saukkis posted:

Have you considered going wireless?

Thanks, will get a cheap one then. I've done the wireless, this is as much for charging while playing sat down tbh, and to see whether it works better than the wireless link.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

How long until there is a wacom-like pen / brush tool with tracking leds for VR, with standardised tracking to work across all platforms? 5 years? A decade?

Please wacom or logitech make it happen

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

"Logitech VR Ink Pilot Edition - VR Stylus for Creativity, Control & Precision"

Something close to this?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KinkyJohn posted:

How long until there is a wacom-like pen / brush tool with tracking leds for VR, with standardised tracking to work across all platforms? 5 years? A decade?

Logitech literally made this. It's called VR Ink.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

GTO posted:

Thanks, will get a cheap one then. I've done the wireless, this is as much for charging while playing sat down tbh, and to see whether it works better than the wireless link.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but some cables won't charge the Quest. I bought a 3m cable when I first bought a Q2, only intending to use it for playing, and it doesn't charge the device.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

truther posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but some cables won't charge the Quest. I bought a 3m cable when I first bought a Q2, only intending to use it for playing, and it doesn't charge the device.

I guess you mean it doesn't charge it strongly enough, but the charge depletes notably slower than usual.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Can the Quest even charge itself when it's used via Link? I think that it disables charging when Linked.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kikas posted:

Can the Quest even charge itself when it's used via Link? I think that it disables charging when Linked.

It charges,of course. In fact with the official cable is able to always stay charged.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

KinkyJohn posted:

The big issue with standardized tracking spaces is the no one seems to want to support it. Oculus and WMR live in their closed little bubbles, and SteamVR only supports it within the lighthouse tracking system, and hasn't shown any sign of wanting to change that for years.

Everything that lets you combine lighthouse with other systems do it by highjacking the SteamVR drivers by hooking their own functions between the driver and runtime. Not having any proper interfaces makes it really hard to commit to developing any tracked VR accessories.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Oh gently caress yes. Only supports vive though? Hmm it's expensive. Maybe I should buy this and a new Vive Focus 3 instead of a new graphics card

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KinkyJohn posted:

Oh gently caress yes. Only supports vive though? Hmm it's expensive. Maybe I should buy this and a new Vive Focus 3 instead of a new graphics card

It's not Vive-compatible, it's just a Lighthouse device (which the Focus 3 is not).

A Vive, Vive Pro or Index are what you'd need.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Hmmm interesting. I guess I've been spoilt by the quest 2's untetheredness.

Any guestimation on the index 2 release timeframe?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

KinkyJohn posted:

Half jokingly; When Alyx 2 comes out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KinkyJohn posted:

You'd want a Vive Pro with the wireless adapter, Index Controllers, Steamvr lighthouses, and the lighthouses themselves.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KinkyJohn posted:

lol waiting on valve to release something.

imo just get a vive something if you want LH wireless now and don't wanna buy light houses alone, combine playspaces, etc. otherwise see below

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not Vive-compatible, it's just a Lighthouse device (which the Focus 3 is not).

A Vive, Vive Pro or Index are what you'd need.

You're half right.

You can use lighthouse stuff with any headset. just need light houses.

Its not cost effective, but hey, dude picks up some lighthouses on the cheap itll work just fine.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

You're half right.

You can use lighthouse stuff with any headset. just need light houses.

Its not cost effective, but hey, dude picks up some lighthouses on the cheap itll work just fine.

I actually said they need any Lighthouse headset to begin with, that was in response to them specifically wanting a wireless Index. A Vive Pro's about as close as they're gonna get, getting an OG Vive is both difficult (Covid, second-hand, etc) and a massive step back in visual fidelity from a Quest 2.

I'd have suggested the Pro 2, but it might've seemed like it'd have been a shade too pricey and it's not out yet.