Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Made some burritos with adobo tempeh, guac, cilantro rice, fajita veggies, and some black beans today. Apparently I am very bad at figuring out how much I am making so I now what I think will last me over a week. :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I made agedashi tofu

:coolfish:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

I made agedashi tofu

i have bowls that look exactly like that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

did you get them at costco

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

did you get them at costco

yes! hi five costco bowl pal

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:hfive:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

PokeJoe posted:

I made agedashi tofu

nice

i took a good photo of a mediocre pomodoro this weekend

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i deep fried some crayfish this weekend and then stir fried them with onions and peppers in some beef tallow based hot pot sauce

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fart simpson posted:

i deep fried some crayfish this weekend and then stir fried them with onions and peppers in some beef tallow based hot pot sauce

would

we used to trawl the creek with a big net for crawdads

edit: does crayfish refer to saltwater or freshwater species where you are?

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 11, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

would

we used to trawl the creek with a big net for crawdads

edit: does crayfish refer to saltwater or freshwater species where you are?

freshwater

the story is they were rare in china until the american military started airdropping them into fields to try to disrupt local agriculture, decades ago, but chinese people just started eating them. i have no idea if that’s accurate but several different people here have told me the same story

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

freshwater

the story is they were rare in china until the american military started airdropping them into fields to try to disrupt local agriculture, decades ago, but chinese people just started eating them. i have no idea if that’s accurate but several different people here have told me the same story

Is there is a stir fry sauce combination that you like to use?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is there is a stir fry sauce combination that you like to use?

depends on what im stir frying? with leafy green vegetables i like to use oyster sauce + shaoxing wine. with meat I like a similar thing but adding in chile powder or this stuff:

for some stuff i like to cut off a chunk of the beef tallow hot pot stuff and use that directly:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

for some stuff i like to cut off a chunk of the beef tallow hot pot stuff and use that directly:

ooh ooh ooh

nice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

ooh ooh ooh

nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-QEFopRvQ

thats how they make it

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

fart simpson posted:

freshwater

parachuting crawfish into rice paddies sounds a wee bit suspicious to put it mildly, but they were introduced during WWII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyk-thHca90

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Something simple tonight. Green onion pancake while I decompress.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

dioxazine posted:

Something simple tonight. Green onion pancake while I decompress.

that looks good

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

really simple to fry up, you can also buy prepackaged versions of it at any asian market almost. i think those come in stacks of 5

here's a recipe if you're interested in making it yourself! (you can add msg if you really want to :twisted:)

https://www.xiachufang.com/recipe/105873156/

https://www.196flavors.com/china-cong-you-bing-scallion-pancake/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this is so good, i got a new channel to watch. tyvm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This guy owns, I have really been enjoying him cutting things with his clever and cooking them on his giant wok.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

One of my recently guilty pleasures has been watching a bunch of the village cooking channels on youtube. There always seems to be an old person in each who is thrilled to be eating whatever they cook. :3:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

parachuting crawfish into rice paddies sounds a wee bit suspicious to put it mildly, but they were introduced during WWII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyk-thHca90

huh yeah, so they are american crayfish and we’re introduced by japan during the war? i never really thought the american airdropping thing made sense but i can see how that story evolved i guess

and this video doesn’t really get into it but i also could see japan trying to introduce an invasive species with the intent of disrupting agriculture during the war

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i think they probably swam there op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
muthafuckin TURKEY BULGOGI NIGHT (i don't eat beef any more really)

* 1 lb ground turkey
* 8 oz shiitake
* 1 cup or so shredded carrots
* bean sprouts (as much or little as you like*

saucy stuff:

* soy
* garlic
* ginger
* gochujang
* gochugaru
* white or brown sugar
* shaoxing or mirin

mix up the sauce. I'm not going to give proportions because everybody's different. i go ginger heavy. Make a half cup to a cup or so.

Now pour half over the ground turkey in a container and mix well. let it percolate in the fridge for a half hour or so.

start the rice cooker here

Heat up a pan, doesnt loving matter. whatever. Dump in the turkey and cook until it is done, then a couple minutes more to evap most of the liquid. Pull turkey

Now throw in carrots and mushrooms. splash of oil. saute for about five minutes or so until the carrots are soft and sweet and the mushrooms are getting happy.

Add the meat back in, stir, pour in other half of the sauce. Cook while stirring for a few minutes.

Throw in bean sprouts, kill the heat, mix and serve over calrose with scallion on top.

--

May not be authentic but it's loving delicious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nice job

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dang that looks good

also "authentic" is a fake idea

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

dang that looks good

i wouldn’t say it’s fake exactly but 99% of the time it serves only to restrict food from people unnecessarily

honestly it’s one of my biggest pet peeves in modern food culture

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jonny 290 posted:

muthafuckin TURKEY BULGOGI NIGHT (i don't eat beef any more really)

* 1 lb ground turkey
* 8 oz shiitake
* 1 cup or so shredded carrots
* bean sprouts (as much or little as you like*

saucy stuff:

* soy
* garlic
* ginger
* gochujang
* gochugaru
* white or brown sugar
* shaoxing or mirin

mix up the sauce. I'm not going to give proportions because everybody's different. i go ginger heavy. Make a half cup to a cup or so.

Now pour half over the ground turkey in a container and mix well. let it percolate in the fridge for a half hour or so.

start the rice cooker here

Heat up a pan, doesnt loving matter. whatever. Dump in the turkey and cook until it is done, then a couple minutes more to evap most of the liquid. Pull turkey

Now throw in carrots and mushrooms. splash of oil. saute for about five minutes or so until the carrots are soft and sweet and the mushrooms are getting happy.

Add the meat back in, stir, pour in other half of the sauce. Cook while stirring for a few minutes.

Throw in bean sprouts, kill the heat, mix and serve over calrose with scallion on top.

--

May not be authentic but it's loving delicious.

nice

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

good work, jonny. very nice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

dang that looks good

it’s not fake but authentic doesn’t mean good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

it’s not fake but authentic doesn’t mean good

it's fake in that most of the people who talk about what is "authentic" has no business determining authenticity. when people with some standing talk about the same kind of thing they use phrases like "at my house we always..." instead.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it's fake in that most of the people who talk about what is "authentic" has no business determining authenticity. when people with some standing talk about the same kind of thing they use phrases like "at my house we always..." instead.

well, i feel pretty comfortable in saying the "cantonese vegetables" at the local chinese restaurant in my hometown in maine are Not Authentic. as in, theyre completely unlike any way ive ever seen vegetables prepared in Canton, which is where ive lived for over a decade now. i also feel pretty confident in saying the lukewarm canned tuna and carrots rolled in plain white rice and nori i had, also in maine, is not authentic sushi. and neither is the spaghetti and meatballs i had in a cafe in china which used literal ketchup as the tomato sauce. i know spaghetti and meatballs isn't necessarily an authentic italian dish, but what they served me in that cafe in china isn't authentic to whatever spaghetti and meatballs really are. i could go on but you get the point.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah but that is more ‘it is poo poo’ rather than ‘it is not authentic’

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
what does “authentic” mean then? can it be defined in objective terms?

e: wrt to things like food. not the provenance of individual objects

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
inauthentic doesn't mean bad either. american sushi is seldom very authentic, but a lot of it is still good in its own way.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gentle Autist posted:

yeah but that is more ‘it is poo poo’ rather than ‘it is not authentic’

no its not. the cantonese vegetables i mentioned were totally fine, there wasnt anything wrong with them, and if they were called something else i wouldnt have a complaint really. the other two i mentioned were bad but thats not why they were inauthentic representations of the dish they were trying to be.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

President Beep posted:

i hadn't really thought about it before today, but now that i have i actually prefer the term "typical"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

e: wrt to things like food. not the provenance of individual objects

if you like it, it's not authentic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ive had perfectly authentic chinese food that was also kinda bad, and then of course theres the american midwest. i think it's not very strongly related to "good" or "bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

if you like it, it's not authentic

:mad: