Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Every time I'm about to feel bad for him I see those feet on the side of his van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm gonna drink the hell out of this Coke

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I saw a "Cops" where they pulled a skinny guy out from under a couch.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Every time I'm about to feel bad for him I see those feet on the side of his van

Hush hush!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I know, I'll seek refuge in twenty explosive songs by twenty explosive stars.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Won't he be surprised to learn that it doesn't go "pow" but "swish."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Look, just because that mine went off in your helmet...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Honestly one of the most baffling things to me is how many of the host segments are long full takes. Someone laughs or flubs a line and you have to do so much over again.

The Torgo's Pizza sketch must have been so difficult.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i just saw the mads' "the t-bird gang" and it's fantastic. you learn how much of a beatnik frank is, and mike was great in the q and a.

think my favorite riff is "the picture of boring'n grey". and wow is the soundtrack killer. that's one of the tragedies of bad movies with good soundtracks; nobody cared enough to compile the songs

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Something I really like about the Mike era is that they legitimately laugh at how stupid the movie is sometimes, it helps to make it feel more natural.

I like in the Jonah eps where they occasionally just point out cool poo poo, like practical effects that look good

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Man, Avalanche was so good. I hope they do another 70's disaster movie this time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CommaToes posted:

Man, Avalanche was so good. I hope they do another 70's disaster movie this time.

The Concord-Airport '79 would be a good one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The Concord-Airport '79 would be a good one.

I think my cousin is in that movie lol

Is it the one with the guitar playing nun and the blind man?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
It's Sergio Mendes and Airplane '66!

Laaa, la-la-laaaa ♪♫ ✈ ♫

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sash! posted:

Won't he be surprised to learn that it doesn't go "pow" but "swish."

Somebody left behind a perfectly good arm remover....

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly one of the most baffling things to me is how many of the host segments are long full takes. Someone laughs or flubs a line and you have to do so much over again.

The Torgo's Pizza sketch must have been so difficult.

Yeah, unless they go from Deep 13 to the SOL, they're no camera changes. I guess they only had one camera, and that's what you got with no jump cuts or anything.

Except for Still Store.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
One thing I liked about the Netflix seasons is the in-universe unreliability of Kingachrome. It provided a nice, in-storyline excuse to cut two shots together. All you'd need to do is just float some bubbles up across the screen and splice them together.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

CommaToes posted:

The Swarm would be perfect

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bicyclops posted:

I think my cousin is in that movie lol

Is it the one with the guitar playing nun and the blind man?

That's Airport 1975.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I know it's not feasible or affordable given the profile of some of the actors involved but dang it'd be cool if they made a ~MST3k summer camp~ and all got together for a few months to shoot a season's worth of host segments with physical sets. I'm not sure if it'd even result in this, but the newer seasons lacked a certain warmth or chemistry or something that the old ones had. Felt a bit by-the-numbers and I fear that the newer season will be even more in that direction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, unless they go from Deep 13 to the SOL, they're no camera changes. I guess they only had one camera, and that's what you got with no jump cuts or anything.

Um, his name is Cambot. :colbert:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I know it's not feasible or affordable given the profile of some of the actors involved but dang it'd be cool if they made a ~MST3k summer camp~ and all got together for a few months to shoot a season's worth of host segments with physical sets. I'm not sure if it'd even result in this, but the newer seasons lacked a certain warmth or chemistry or something that the old ones had. Felt a bit by-the-numbers and I fear that the newer season will be even more in that direction.

Yeah definitely an issue I had too. I liked the new seasons, I like the new cast, but it definitely lacked that warmth, and we could never get a Brute Man crack up moment from Mike or something like that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They also shot it in a very short window

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I can't help but wonder how much of the weird feel of the new seasons was Netflix interference. Certainly some of it had to be new cast and writers getting the hang of things and guest writers needing to get a certain level of contribution in, but beyond that...

I'm interested to see how the new show comes out without a network leaning on anyone. What stays and what goes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

I can't help but wonder how much of the weird feel of the new seasons was Netflix interference. Certainly some of it had to be new cast and writers getting the hang of things and guest writers needing to get a certain level of contribution in, but beyond that...

I'm interested to see how the new show comes out without a network leaning on anyone. What stays and what goes.

That's interesting. I could see Netflix wanting the more rapid-fire style as part of their 'binge' initiative. "If the gags slow down, they might go watch something else!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We know for a fact that the second season is 100% due to Netflix and them trying to please their streaming overlords. Shortening the movies so much, the lesser episode count, emphasizing the BINGE nature

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I missed the Emily backstory but what’s the reason it’s not just more Jonah?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

We know for a fact that the second season is 100% due to Netflix and them trying to please their streaming overlords. Shortening the movies so much, the lesser episode count, emphasizing the BINGE nature

I heard a podcast interview where Jonah talked about this a little bit, and the interesting thing is Netflix’s changes for season 12 apparently actually worked, at least by Netflix’s metrics. More people apparently watched season 12, and they generally watched it more quickly than they watched the first six episodes of season 11. Then they canceled the show anyway.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

In-universe, I don’t think there’s been any explanation, but I expect there will be in the new season. As for a behind the scenes explanation, her and the rest of her cast were hired for the last live tour, and I’m pretty sure Joel just liked them all enough that he wanted to keep using them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
They're pretty funny.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It seems they were at least thinking about having multiple test subjects as early as Season 11. There was that random shot of a guy in a purple jumpsuit on his own SOL set spliced into at least one of the episodes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I gotta think that at least a bit of it is that they can't tour, so they can't pay the live show team.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I gotta think that at least a bit of it is that they can't tour, so they can't pay the live show team.

They’re apparently contracted to go back on tour in the fall, if COVID allows.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Julet Esqu posted:

It seems they were at least thinking about having multiple test subjects as early as Season 11. There was that random shot of a guy in a purple jumpsuit on his own SOL set spliced into at least one of the episodes

I believe purple jumpsuit guy's in-universe name is Matt Claude Van Damme.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TL posted:

You are correct.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TL posted:

Played by Matt McGinnis, AKA the guy who acted as sort of the emcee on all those kickstarter livestreams.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Hawaiian shirt guy with big Dale Cooper energy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Played by Matt McGinnis, AKA the guy who acted as sort of the emcee on all those kickstarter livestreams.

This always catches me out because that's literally the name of Batman Beyond's little brother (and briefly Robin in the comics)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Man, rewatched Giant Leeches and I forgot how bizarre and hilarious the holoclown skit at the beginning is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

rydiafan posted:

Man, rewatched Giant Leeches and I forgot how bizarre and hilarious the holoclown skit at the beginning is.

get down on your orange and yellow knees and kiss my clown feet that i haven't killed you yet!!!