Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I was looking at that and maybe, just would need to confirm the power situation. Projectors are like 20+ feet off the ground so it’s not trivial to just hop on up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The HDMI over Ethernet thing I'm using only needs to be powered on one end. That seemed fairly typical when I bought it a little over a year ago.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

The HDMI over Ethernet thing I'm using only needs to be powered on one end. That seemed fairly typical when I bought it a little over a year ago.

I can only find them where both sides are powered, but if you have any that you can find that look good with just the transmitter powered, that would be nifty

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KKKLIP ART posted:

I can only find them where both sides are powered, but if you have any that you can find that look good with just the transmitter powered, that would be nifty
I'm using this one that I can only find on amazon.de. I'm doing 1080p over 25m of cat5 with this with no issues.

I obviously don't know about the quality of any of these (there are three links there), but they all seem to be powered from one side only. You're right that there are more, even very similar looking ones that need power on both sides. It somehow seemed to help when I added the edola brand to the search terms, which is weird. Other than that, there was a lot of plain looking at the images to see whether the receiver had an input for power. The ones that say 4K over cat6/7, I'm assuming are fine with cat5 for 1080p.

edit: they seem to call this POC, where the power goes through the cable. Though adding that to the search terms brings up a lot of irrelevant stuff as well.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 10, 2021

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Fibre optic HDMI cables can also be used over longer distances. The advantage of that is that you don't need conversion boxes at each end; the optic-to-copper transciever is built into the the plugs and powered by the device itself. Twisted pair video is useful in convetion centers and stuff like that, since you can just put in a bunch of TP cables and use the same cables for video, ethernet or landline or whatever.

Vir fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 10, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What about, say, a chromecast that you push google slides through? Just for the sake of options.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fiber optic hdmi seems like 200 which might do it. With chrome cast it seems like casting the same thing to more than one device from the same computer is a butt

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looking to add some more storage for games. I'm pretty sure I've used all three of my M.2 slots so I'm looking for SATA options, probably around the 1-2tb range.

I've always gone with samsung - looking at their current offerings it looks like the 9xx drives are m.2 and the 8xx drives are SATA? What is this QVO stuff?

E: just bought a WD blue 2tb SSD, will be fine. Ty

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 11, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

VelociBacon posted:

E: just bought a WD blue 2tb SSD, will be fine. Ty

Good choice!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wrong subforum.

Affi fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 12, 2021

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

So I'm going to buy an android tablet by 'onn' : 10.1" tablet pro, 32gb storage, 3gb ram, android 11, 2ghz octa-core processor. It looks like a good deal. But I cannot find out how much storage the SD slot can take. Any help?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spacegrass posted:

So I'm going to buy an android tablet by 'onn' : 10.1" tablet pro, 32gb storage, 3gb ram, android 11, 2ghz octa-core processor. It looks like a good deal. But I cannot find out how much storage the SD slot can take. Any help?

The Q&A section on the bottom of the walmart page for it has people saying 128GB is what the manual says for sd card size:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-10-1-Tablet-Pro-32GB-Storage-3GB-RAM-Android-11-2GHz-Octa-Core-Processor-FHD-Display/435637419

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rexxed posted:

The Q&A section on the bottom of the walmart page for it has people saying 128GB is what the manual says for sd card size:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-10-1-Tablet-Pro-32GB-Storage-3GB-RAM-Android-11-2GHz-Octa-Core-Processor-FHD-Display/435637419

That honestly doesn’t seem right for something in 2021.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

MarcusSA posted:

It's a walmart brand android tablet

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MarcusSA posted:

Generally the sd card reading chips will cover a particular family of cards, so that one's going to support SDXC (or earlier) which can go bigger than 128GB, but there's no guarantee that it will work with larger ones even if it should because maybe they cut corners somewhere. It could be that that was the largest one they tested with when the manual was written, or it might be an actual limitation somewhere.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Rexxed posted:

Thanks. I also seen this one on Walmarts website. "Lenovo Tab M10 10.3" Tablet - MediaTek Helio P22T - 4GB - 64GB FHD Plus with the Smart Charging Station - Android 9.0 (Pie)".

Which one do you guys think would be a better deal? I can spend up to 200.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Spacegrass posted:

Thanks. I also seen this one on Walmarts website. "Lenovo Tab M10 10.3" Tablet - MediaTek Helio P22T - 4GB - 64GB FHD Plus with the Smart Charging Station - Android 9.0 (Pie)".

Which one do you guys think would be a better deal? I can spend up to 200.

Can you save up a little while and get a used or refurb ipad? Those budget Android tablets are very bad.

Not sure what the used market is like where you are but the basic iPad is great and you’ll be getting a much better tablet for only $129 more than your current budget.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Apple is out of the question, but I may be able to go up to 250.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
What are you actually trying to do with this tablet?

Google gives absolutely no fucks about android tablets and hasn't for a while. Samsung has some cheaper-than-an-iPad options with OK hardware, although performance at the low end is mediocre and you have to deal with the Samsung NEW GALAXY TAB AVAILABLE NOW! issues like ads.

If you just want the cheapest available Android gadget then Fire tablets are OK. You're locked into the Amazon Experience, though (spoiler: Prime services are always front and center). You can get Google Play on them if you're willing to deal with semi-janky hacks.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 15, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spacegrass posted:

I'm very happy with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (a 10" tablet) - fast enough for my needs (browsing, reading, video) and doesn't cost much. Plus, you'll get a better product and software than with a no-name Wal Mart tablet.

Don't get the Fire tablets.

There are two versions, the smaller 32 GB starts is $155
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tablets/galaxy-tab-a/galaxy-tab-a7-32gb-dark-gray-sm-t500nzaaxar/

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 15, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What is the minimum tablet that can stream plex without issue and use google play store?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

What is the minimum tablet that can stream plex without issue and use google play store?

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
Lenovo M10 Plus

Also, tons of no-name garbage if you want to go really cheap.

Huawei is out, unfortunately thanks to the Trump trade war.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
Lenovo M10 Plus

Also, tons of no-name garbage if you want to go really cheap.

Huawei is out, unfortunately thanks to the Trump trade war.

Thanks. I don't mind no name garbage so long as it can play plex, I don't intend on using it for anything else.

e: I'm not American so the trump thing shouldn't affect me I think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spacegrass posted:

This is probably the best bang for the buck atm

https://youtu.be/9qKTfOX91Dw

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Lenovo-TB-J606/p/ZZITZTATB1J

$229 but you’ll probably see it for $200 soon enough

Or this for $150

But I dunno

https://youtu.be/5H146zEGdCA

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 15, 2021

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks. I don't mind no name garbage so long as it can play plex, I don't intend on using it for anything else.

e: I'm not American so the trump thing shouldn't affect me I think.

It will, because it won't have Google Play and you will have problem installing the apps you need. We are implementing MFA for Office 365 at work and one guy in the test group commented how he has a Huawei phone, so he can't install the required Microsoft Authenticator app.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m fortunate enough to have the problem where wifi coverage is spotty on the other end of my house (kinda rectangular, my home computer is wired in at the front of the house, gets spotty towards the back) I’ve got an Arris SBG-8300 router (it was compatible with Xfinity gigabit internet).

Would a mesh network be the best idea or should I get a WiFi extender? Are there any brands you’d recommend?

Home networking is a black box to me more or less. I have no idea what hardware/brand is best for my needs in this situation. Any help is appreciated!

E: I should note that I really don’t want anything that requires a phone or tablet app to work. My mom had bought an Eero extender and the amount of data they collect is unnerving even in the age of Facebook.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 16, 2021

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
A displayport or HDMI KVM would be able to serve any video with the appropriate cables, correct? Still have some stuff that is VGA only, but also have a couple that don't have VGA at all.

EDIT: Looks like this wouldn't work.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 19, 2021

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

A friend of mine has an HP EliteBook 1030 G1 and one of those fancy LG 5K UltraFine displays with Thunderbolt and no HDMI. He just wants to use it as an external monitor and doesn't care about 5K or getting the smoothest framerate or anything. Will one of those docking stations work or not?
https://store.hp.com/SwitzerlandStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2UK37AA&opt=UUZ&sel=ACC&lang=en-CH
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g5

As I understand it, the EliteBook 1030 G1 only has USB 3.0, not Thundebolt. This USB-C situation is a clusterfuck and I'm very confused about it.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Could anyone explain why newer processors running at the same or lower Ghz, even only on a single core, get better performance than an older one? Is it a higher bus speed, or what am I looking for when shopping specifically?

Would this mean that applications that can only use a single core will still be faster?

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Up until about 10 minutes ago my Windows desktop PC (custom built for gaming) was running fine. It turned itself off, and when I tried to power it back on it would not power up.

I felt the power supply, and it's very warm, so that seems like the culprit. However, the vanity lights on my motherboard still light up -- will that still be possible even if a power supply is bad?

I can't rule out a loose connection inside, though I haven't opened this thing up in months. Also if there's another component that's broken, could that prevent the whole machine from turning on? I expected to get some kind of hardware beeping if that was the case but maybe motherboards don't do that anymore? I haven't had to troubleshoot something like this in quite a while.

This thing has parts in it spanning a broad span of time so could be anything I've upgraded with along the way if that's the case. Any suggestions on how I can isolate the issue?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mercury_Storm posted:

Could anyone explain why newer processors running at the same or lower Ghz, even only on a single core, get better performance than an older one? Is it a higher bus speed, or what am I looking for when shopping specifically?

Would this mean that applications that can only use a single core will still be faster?

Instructions per clock is a simple way for some of this understanding. Cpu can do more work per tick. Passmark and cinebench are easy to read common comparisons.

Georgia, unplug it, hold down the power button for a bit, try plugging it back in.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

LRADIKAL posted:

Georgia, unplug it, hold down the power button for a bit, try plugging it back in.

Interesting. What’s this do exactly? Can a PSU be reset?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Could be a motherboard issue, or a temporary fault, I'm not assuming your PSU is broken based on it being warm.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Much of the time the advertised clock speed is the baseline and they automatically boost themselves quite a bit higher.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What's the cutoff on "hey you should probably replace that PSU just for safety's sake so it doesn't nuke your system"?

Because I just realized today that my 600w OCZ PSU is from 2012 :ohdear:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

What's the cutoff on "hey you should probably replace that PSU just for safety's sake so it doesn't nuke your system"?

Because I just realized today that my 600w OCZ PSU is from 2012 :ohdear:

As soon as it is outside warranty.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VelociBacon posted:

As soon as it is outside warranty.

So 2015? :v:

I'll start looking around.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I have a few hopefully simple, but probably stupid, questions that I hope someone more knowledgable than me might be able to answer.

In the near future I'm planning to replace the CPU in my computer and I know that I will need a new motherboard too, so my first question: If I replaced these two components, would I be able to plug everything else into them and have my SSD/HDD work properly, as in would Windows (and my games, etc) recognise the new CPU and work properly?

Or would I have to have a fresh install of windows on my SSD to avoid issues, and it's been so long since I've done something like that so how would I even go about doing that these days? I guess copy everything important to my backup drive and format the SSD somehow (I don't even know how to do this anymore :smith: ) and install Windows with the new CPU & motherboard?

Also, if I wanted to get some more RAM at the same time, would I have to get the same type and manufacturor as my current RAM or would I be okay with buying something different to combine with what I currently have?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. your PSU should still work with a new board

2. your RAM might not work with a new board. If your computer is old enough that it was still using DDR3 RAM, then a new computer now would be using DDR4, so you'd need new RAM

3. if you need new RAM to migrate from DDR3 to DDR4, it can be of a different brand/manufacturer. You will not be able to re-use the RAM that you already have.

4. your graphics card should still work with a new board

5. pretty much all other peripherals, whether they plug into the PCIe slot or a USB port, should still work with a new board

6. Windows should be able to migrate from a new CPU and board without needing installation, but it's still a good idea to prepare backups in case you have to do it

7. in the event that you do need to reinstall Windows, there's no need to reformat the SSD as a separate activity - the Windows installer can do that as part of the installation process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Windows handles changing motherboard/cpu pretty gracefully these days, but definitely make a backup just in case your particular hardware/windows combo is one of the edge cases.

PSU should be fine, but maybe check its warranty? Might be time to get a new one.