Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So what iteration of a rottk tv show is everyone watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

These are amazing. I wish these types of cinematic would make a comeback for the historical titles.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Breetai posted:

So what iteration of a rottk tv show is everyone watching?

The 2010 version. It's on youtube.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hunt11 posted:

No but during romance mode generals will yell at each other during the battle.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They have some stuff in loading screens, as well as in-battle taunting.

If anyone is interested I'll pimp my own mod about this. I made a mod that drastically expands the in battle chatter's pool of lines. I thought the system of officers talking to each other was a great idea, but the vanilla game only has like 70 lines shared among all the colors of general so you hear the same poo poo over and over. The mod has about 700 lines, all unique to each type of general. It's written to feel more period appropriate than the vanilla lines of "Shut up, idiot."

If anyone tries it out let me know if you think it sucks or whatever.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2465977086

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Beans posted:

If anyone is interested I'll pimp my own mod about this. I made a mod that drastically expands the in battle chatter's pool of lines. I thought the system of officers talking to each other was a great idea, but the vanilla game only has like 70 lines shared among all the colors of general so you hear the same poo poo over and over. The mod has about 700 lines, all unique to each type of general. It's written to feel more period appropriate than the vanilla lines of "Shut up, idiot."

If anyone tries it out let me know if you think it sucks or whatever.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2465977086

Looks like fun so I subscribed but not sure when I will next play three kingdoms.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk9MzFD9T-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTsBu7fqaVw
Show rules almost as much Liu Xuande

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ultimately irrelevant because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZlil5WyUU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was watching the YouTuber recommended in the thread last week, who plays a lot of Three Kingdoms. Seems he’s Chinese himself and hearing him pronounce the Chinese names made me wonder, who decided to spell Cao Cao’s name “Cao Cao” in English, or hell any Chinese name, because they really hosed up

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Someone more knowledgeable please correct me, but isn't the modern system Chinese in origin? Wasn't it spelled Tsao Tsao under the old Waid Giles system?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The apostrophe is important in Wade-Giles for unaspirated consonants, so Ts'ao Ts'ao, but yes.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also you're gonna open a whole can of worms calling it old in some circles--pinyin is a creation of the mainland government, so your choice of romanization systems in writing was and to some degree still is a choice that signals political leanings especially in the TW/HK communities. I'm more comfortable with pinyin since that's what I grew up seeing.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I think it took till dynasty warriors 5 to stop pronouncing Cao Cao as cow cow in the english version.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The Chinese did. Cao Cao is the transliteration in Pinyin, which is the post-1949 government-authorised system for writing Chinese in the Roman alphabet.

There were a couple of systems before that but the main one was called Wade-Giles, under which it was written “T’sao T’sao”.

Wade-Giles feels very old timey now because it was the way things were transliterated in most of the 19th and early 20th century writing about China.

E: f;b

Taiwan has now officially switched to pinyin but people still widely use Wade-Giles because it’s more familiar.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jay Rust posted:

I was watching the YouTuber recommended in the thread last week, who plays a lot of Three Kingdoms. Seems he’s Chinese himself and hearing him pronounce the Chinese names made me wonder, who decided to spell Cao Cao’s name “Cao Cao” in English, or hell any Chinese name, because they really hosed up

It's really bizarre isn't it? Very few Chinese names seem to match the English spelling at all. If you were to say almost of the names to me and ask me to write what I heard they wouldn't even resemble the official translations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I refuse to accept any translation that is not the one that anglicized all the names

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

The Chad Jihad posted:

I refuse to accept any translation that is not the one that anglicized all the names

This one is the one true way to experience the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, it's amazing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Can we get some examples?

Is cao cao now Steve Steve?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Apparently Rome remastered doesn't work on Windows 7? Not errors, no notifications... hitting Play just does nothing.

Why? It doesn't look like a game that requires... whatever special magic Windows 10 has.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Breetai posted:

ze huge liang, a very large, very lost french guy.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Xander77 posted:

Apparently Rome remastered doesn't work on Windows 7? Not errors, no notifications... hitting Play just does nothing.

Why? It doesn't look like a game that requires... whatever special magic Windows 10 has.

It's 12 years old.

e: like as much as I dislike poo poo that 10 does, 7 is old as poo poo by now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Breetai posted:

It's so much worse lol

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm posting to find an old post, so that I can find the excerpt someone posted ITT like a year ago...

edit: found it. Link is here. Or, if you can't follow it right now,

quote:

The Emperor read this memorial with deep sighs, and Chief Eunuch Harding-Saito, from his place behind the throne, anxiously noted these signs of grief. An opportunity offering, Harding-Saito informed his fellows, and a charge was trumped up against Thompson-Salgado, who was driven from the court and forced to retire to his country house. With this victory the eunuchs grew bolder. Ten of them, rivals in wickedness and associates in evil deeds, formed a powerful party known as the Ten Regular Attendants--Bingham-Spector, Cook-Benson, Pace-Mulligan, Weinstock-Dresser, Holcomb-Fletcher, Kerwin-Rosario, Petrone-Hawk, McCullum-Ogden, Harding-Saito, and Kessler-Wynn.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 11, 2021

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I am the traditionally the dynasty warriors thread poster for it, and it is here

https://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

it is amazing and awful

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

my dad posted:

The development of the popular view of Cao Cao through the centuries is a really fun topic. My favorite bit is the reason behind the success of the initial Northern Song dynasty's attempts to depict him as a villainous rebel relative to the noble loyalist Liu Bei - cheap and easily affordable to watch theater. Parents who wanted some time without needing to watch the kids would send them to the cinema, I mean to watch tv, I mean to watch Youtube, I mean to watch some children's plays, and those plays were basically superhero stories with Liu Bei and bros foiling yet another scheme by that dastardly Cao Cao.

e: Beyond just the loyalist/rebel dichotomy, it's also that Cao Cao was a dude who came from some sort of The North to fight the guys in some sort of The South, and despite the name, the Northern Song were in the South of China, fighting invaders (and "invaders") from the North, and Cao Cao was a nice standin for dirty evil foreigners. The Southern Song are basically the Song post getting their asses kicked out of the areas that kinda sorta match the lands of Cao Wei.

If we are getting onto dynasty chat, can I say that the Tang are really cool. I also like the fact that one of the most revered and competent emperors in Chinese history murdered his brother and forced his dad to retire before going on to be very good at being in charge.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Do not pursue Bullard-Lundmark!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazzah posted:

I'm posting to find an old post, so that I can find the excerpt someone posted ITT like a year ago...

edit: found it. Link is here. Or, if you can't follow it right now,

If I didn't know this was supposed to be 3 kingdoms, I'd swear it were some janky Battletech novel or something.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Xander77 posted:

You can still upgrade your 7 install to Windows 10 for free - let go of the past!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Thom12255 posted:

You can still upgrade your 7 install to Windows 10 for free - let go of the past!

Yeah just install Classic Start (and whatever else you want updated) from https://ninite.com/ and it's just a straight upgrade.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Remember how when Windows 7 came out, and there were still people using the 8-year-old Windows XP at that point? Well Windows 7 is now 12 years old and people still don't want to move on.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I see Three Kingdoms is on sale. Any recommended DLCs?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yellow turbans and/or furious wilds if you want different unit types, a world betrayed if you want some different starts for the vanilla dudes plus unique mechanics for sun ce and lu bu, don't have the most recent one or the 8 princes one so idk what they bring or of they're worth it.

if it helps the sun ce campaign owns, does an excellent job at forcing you to constantly be on the attack. I felt like of I wasn't taking territory every turn I was falling behind, insanely good

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

8 princes is still the only way to unlock cataphracts iirc and they are very very good

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Base game is perfectly fine and has a lot to do. I'd say my two favorite DLCs are A World Betrayed and Mandate of Heaven. AWB is a slightly later start than base game but same characters for the most part, and the two marquee factions for that game (Lu Bu and Sun Ce) have fun campaigns with interesting mechanics. Mandate of Heaven is an earlier start date, coinciding with the collapse of the Han Empire and the start of the Yellow Turban Rebellion, so you get the same characters as the base game but at the very beginning of their careers. I like it a lot more in terms of wanting to play with guys like Cao Cao for as long as possible. Make sure you pick up the Free-LC too. There's a lot of good stuff there.

Once you get a good grasp on the game and want to try different units, the Yellow Turban pack and Furious Wild will give you factions with totally different rosters. You'll still be able to play against them on the campaign map even if you don't buy them. I never bought Furious Wild because the Nanman factions have no appeal for me.

Eight Princes is set a hundred years later and is almost a completely different game but you can definitely skip it if it doesn't appeal to you. I played through it once or twice and it was fine but not as appealing as the setting of the base game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

8 princes is still the only way to unlock cataphracts iirc and they are very very good

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. I'm a whale who buys all the dlcs for every Total War game, but that really sucks if cataphracts are locked behind 8 princes. You'd mostly be buying that DLC exclusively for one really good unit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks everyone, I got A World Betrayed for now. No need to overdo it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Eimi posted:

I don't have any paid DLC and cataphracts /heavy cats are available to me, albeit as a unit available at the very end of a portion of the tech tree (shock warfare and barded mounts)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Breetai posted:

I don't have any paid DLC and cataphracts /heavy cats are available to me, albeit as a unit available at the very end of a portion of the tech tree (shock warfare and barded mounts)

Huh, maybe they patched that? Or I misread the patch notes. :negative:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Breetai posted:

I think heavy cats only come in Furious Wilds

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think heavy cats only come in Furious Wilds

I have used them and do not own that DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Total war is usually very generous what they consider updates vs dlc so the idea of locking a an evergreen han faction unit behind a paywall is weird