Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I hope that was old-school FGC thread goon "Setzer" I matched up with in +R ranked last night, and then mash-potato Jam'd his fancy Eddie strings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

GG Strive beta dropping again this weekend, right?

Super late tonight NA time but yeah, Friday morning JST basically

Runs through Sunday morning

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

chumbler posted:

Maybe you need to stop lying to yourself.

I want to like it but neutral barely existing, footsies being downplayed in favour of fishing for CCs and activates, the absolutely awful defensive options and dogshit normals across all the characters I want to play just make it fuckin miserable

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

drat, they brought Leona back for KOF15? My expectations are so beyond shattered right now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What time does the gg beta start? Is it 11pm est?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

I want to like it but neutral barely existing, footsies being downplayed in favour of fishing for CCs and activates, the absolutely awful defensive options and dogshit normals across all the characters I want to play just make it fuckin miserable

I think defensive options are actually pretty good in SFV with vshift being added. And there are footsies and neutral, look at Karin who lives and dies by her neutral skill, but honestly the thing that kinda grinds on me everytime I go back to try and play it is that everything just feels so.. safe

Like the only character I ever really enjoyed was release Ibuki because she had real flashy mix-ups, then they nerfed the heck out of that and made her only get mixups off her vtrigger. Then they nerfed the bomb setups and made you play Vtrigger 2 instead, then they nerfed THAT by making it negative on block so you no longer got a mixup on block and it was basically over.

Most of the characters just feel like they play the same sorta mid-range-y neutral pressure outside of ex moves to steal turns. Then once you get vtrigger the characters actually get some fun stuff they can do and it's just sorta.. eh..

I'm not really good enough at the game to put it into words more than that. It just feels very same-y, honestly it's the same problem I've got with DBFZ as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think commercial realities and fighting game fans themselves often push roster inflation in the direction of "more characters = better than" but I think there are creative limits to what you can reasonably balance in a competitive fighting game and the more characters you add, the less unique everyone else starts to feel. And then eventually you get into situations where those limits start to overlap and your new DLC characters become "everything this launch dude does, but better because we've spent two more years learning how to design this game." There's a certain quaintness in having a limited and mechanically distinct roster that is probably at odds with FG greed.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

darealkooky posted:

street fighter 3 and its first sequel being the least interesting street fighter games I've ever played, even more than street fighter the movie, probably did more for that games sales than not having guile and chun li in it (that was just icing on the cake).
It's really easy to forget that "third strike" wasn't just a cool subtitle but a pretty serious gameplay/roster/asthetic overhaul for what was a very wack game.

yeah im sure most audiences were more interested in red parries and the balance of sean

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

RevolverDivider posted:

sfv has a lot of neutral and footsies, it's probably what the game does best. CCs/VT activate combos arent really that big a deal after they scaled that stuff down, if you fish for those all day you're just going to get whiff punished.

sfv is annoying because VT comebacks are super weighted, but even that isnt as bad with vshift now.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

exquisite tea posted:

I think commercial realities and fighting game fans themselves often push roster inflation in the direction of "more characters = better than" but I think there are creative limits to what you can reasonably balance in a competitive fighting game and the more characters you add, the less unique everyone else starts to feel. And then eventually you get into situations where those limits start to overlap and your new DLC characters become "everything this launch dude does, but better because we've spent two more years learning how to design this game." There's a certain quaintness in having a limited and mechanically distinct roster that is probably at odds with FG greed.

It doesn’t matter how big a games initial roster is. It’s never enough for people to stop complaining.

I remember people mad about loving MVC3s tiny rear end roster.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mr. Locke posted:

A lot of it was just CPS3 flopped hard, especially outside Japan where nobody else knew what a loving Jojo was so the board basically existed for SF3 and that was it. It also didn't get a decent home port outside Japan until SF Anniversary Collection on PS2 in 2004 unless you had a Dreamcast and bought one of the very tiny print run of 3S (or more likely, just pirated it.)

I had a legit copy of SF33S for Dreamcast that had BBV written all over it because Blockbuster stopped renting DC stuff and put it all in their bargain bin. Hell yeah commercial failure

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had copies of both Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike and Double Impact on the Dreamcast and I cannot begin to tell you why because I did not like Street Fighter 3 at all. Garou: Mark of the Wolves for life

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Garou is a great example of using a time skip to good effect.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Xand_Man posted:

Garou is a great example of using a time skip to good effect.

loving this

Garou might be the best fighting game sequel of all time

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

loving this

Woah I like garou and all but everyone forgets that SF2 was a sequel to another much worse game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it helps also that garou was marketed as a spinoff/spiritual sequel to a franchise that was kinda dead anyway, and not 'we got rid of the entire kof cast'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

I saw 22:00est

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

Woah I like garou and all but everyone forgets that SF2 was a sequel to another much worse game.

This is very true actually lol

Are there ever any tourneys of OG Street Fighter?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

They gave conflicting times so either 10pm or 11pm eastern time depending on which is correct. The GMT time aligns with 11pm eastern
https://www.guiltygear.com/ggst/en/news/obt2/

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF07o74V7nc

Didn't see this posted above, but they put up the I-no starter guide showcasing her moves.

Interestingly, HS STBT does actually do the stagger and is still plus on block which was unclear

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

It doesn’t matter how big a games initial roster is. It’s never enough for people to stop complaining.

smash ultimate has too many characters

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

But can we add another 5 fire emblem characters?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

But can we add another 5 fire emblem characters?

you can't. But i can

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

sharrrk posted:

you can't. But i can

We finally found Sakurai's goon account?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

Yeah but have you considered if the roster was larger and Nintendo wasn’t lazy/greedy they could’ve added *some loving character from some poo poo*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can announce loving anything and there's some contingent of players who will always come out of the woodwork like "oh hell yes the marble from Marble Madness I've long waited for this day."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Duck hunt? What is this poo poo!? Why not something more relevant to Nintendo. Like the guy from elevator action? Wake the gently caress up Nintendcuck!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Gutcruncher posted:

Mvc3's roster felt smaller than it actually was to a lot of people on launch because it had a pretty fair amount of characters people didn't know they were going to like. This was before the avengers came out so people were like "why the gently caress is thor in this game?" but then he did totally sick spinning piledrivers while having a cool voice and a funny taunt move. People didn't know viper and she-hulk had really interesting mechanics and would become "oh sick I love when *person* plays this character in tournament" characters, they just knew they weren't strider or cyclops.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

Duck hunt? What is this poo poo!? Why not something more relevant to Nintendo. Like the guy from elevator action? Wake the gently caress up Nintendcuck!

I LOVED Elevator Action :colbert:

(As a small child)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

You can announce loving anything and there's some contingent of players who will always come out of the woodwork like "oh hell yes the marble from Marble Madness I've long waited for this day."

gently caress now I'm sad the Marble isn't gonna be one of the last two characters

Elvis_Maximus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF07o74V7nc

Didn't see this posted above, but they put up the I-no starter guide showcasing her moves.

Interestingly, HS STBT does actually do the stagger and is still plus on block which was unclear

I'm so glad they kept the input for Chemical Love as qcb; played XX recently and goddamn the input for it back then was annoying for my fingers to do so frequently. Sad we lost the vertical one, though.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

gently caress now I'm sad the Marble isn't gonna be one of the last two characters

I'm so glad they kept the input for Chemical Love as qcb; played XX recently and goddamn the input for it back then was annoying for my fingers to do so frequently. Sad we lost the vertical one, though.

Yeah, the loss of FF combos and VCL RC plus frame mixups is kinda sad. But honestly other than that she looks.. pretty much the same gameplan wise? Obviously not as much emphasis on air combos now as far as the starter video shows, and from what I remember about the gatling changes, but she's still gonna do I-no things it would appear. Pretty excited to take her out for a spin

Definitely glad they didn't revert the dang CL input to XX/+r though, that input is the worst part of playing her in those games

night slime
May 14, 2014

stratego posted:

I am hype for new KOF. I really dislike the air-wave / light-bending explosion effects. Also, all the supers need the background to darken.

They changed an obnoxious block effect in trailer 10 by trailer 15 so it seems like they're working on fixing crappy stuff. Hopefully the weird Splatoon effects are just placeholders or will get worked on. Also it seems like supers do change the BG and some don't...seems weird.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
one thing i did not like about kof14 was the lack of graphical/sound flourishes on the special jumps. im not seeing much special about the hops in 15 either. i liked the old fx from ancient games and there should really be something there to show its a special jump. i think it would go a long way to make the game seem more exciting

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SLUM KING posted:

Street Fighter II sold millions of copies and Street Fighter 3's sales were in the tens of thousands at best so I don't think it was "a few dorks"

:iceburn:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 13, 2021

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

My dumb old brain is incapable of playing Tekken anymore I guess. I see these giant lists of moves and just go "gently caress it" and press buttons. Surely it'll all come together at some point.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I loving HATE TEKKEN 7: a rant by a butthurt scrub

Why does this game have like a million trillion combos and stance changes and positional stuff to learn when all of those require time and positioning an actual match with real people will never allow you?

so I'm going through the roster trying to find a character I like to play, so for example I'm trying Lei Wulong and King, the thing is with Wei is that he has 5 stances each one gives an interesting different mixup so I'm like 'hey this is interesting and fun', I go through practice mode, learn a bunch of moves, and give in a whirl online.

oh hey, guess what, no actual person you play with online is ever gonna give you enough time to actually change stances, and even if you knock them down and try to do any stances they will recover too quickly for you to actually pull it off, the same thing is happening with King, where I'm starting to realize that simply mashing the same bread and butters and normal attacks over and over and using the four basic specials gets me much further than putting in the time and effort it takes to learn how to mixup Wei's Drunken stance into a viper strike mixup. or Kings grabby combos.

I guess I'm just mad because the game isnt rewarding me for bothering to learn anything and just basic attacking and blocking will get me much further. and anyone playing with any decently fast character will cream me if I ever try anything more fancy than the basic four RT specials.

gently caress. Anyways I'll keep playing and see what works, but gently caress me am I tired of playing geese and akuma and spamming Hadoukens and Reppukens.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 14, 2021

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Sounds like another case of being old and slow.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

loving this

Garou rules so much and it's intro loving rocked my socks off I wish I could find a regular group of people online to play garou with.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Buller posted:

Sounds like another case of being old and slow.

not really I can just do what other people do and stick to the basics only and win. I just wish I was better at doing something more with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fundamentals are much more important than fancy, situational stuff! Yes, they can help and give an edge, but as you're starting out it's much better to know what works most of the time, which are the basics and fundamentals of the character.

Once you have that down pat, then you can start incorporating more advanced things, like say character specific parries or something. But as you learn how to incorporate them into your game plan, your natural gameplay will probably suffer since you haven't truly learned when to do it yet and might even overextend trying to hit your fancy technique instead of just sealing the deal with a simpler, more basic move.