Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

VideoGames posted:

Got some more Sekiro this evening and thinking about how close I am to the end.

I know I have said I will do Last Guardian next, but it has also lit up in my mind that there are a couple of other games I own that could be fun with friends and our reactions to things:

Outer Wilds.
Death Stranding. (Started and put down after a cutscene but can barely remember what I was doing)
TLOU (Currently past a couple of story points where is it just myself and Ellie now)
FFVIIremake Digi5 edition.
MGSV (despite only having ever played a bit of MGS1 four years ago)
Nioh 1 (Got past the big ball ship ogre)
The Surge 1 (beat the first boss) and 2 (beat the first boss)
Yakuza 2-6

I am not 100% sure about all of them, but I like that I am completing games again and it is due to playing to a schedule. So even if the games are not up people's alleyways this is likely to be a lot of what gets played after beating the Sekiro 'Bad' Ending.

Walzting made a good post about how long it would take to do the bad ending and you know it is not that wild. Plus I will be beefed up from doing the game once so hopefully NG+ is not too taxing to get back to that bad ending point. (Though the prospect of going up against Ape again......my greatest nemesis...)

TLOU without a doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I kinda wanna see you tackle Outer Wilds. It's charming, low stress and a good mystery to ponder and theorise about

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I loved my Dreamcast but the PS2 also having a DVD player was a game changer. I remember standing in line at 5 am, not getting one then going home on ebay and seeing them going for close to $1000. I had to wait 6 months then randomly saw one in a Walmart.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

You get this cake if you can preorder a ps5.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1393174386224599046/photo/1

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
omg the idea of Veeg and LVG streaming TLOU 1+2 back to back is so exciting to me!!!!!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Vg please update with your monster energy review

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

liquidypoo posted:

If I may offer a suggestion for biome 3 boss phase 3: I did a lot better when I kept my distance. The couple of times I died to it was because I assumed I had to be in close but instead got bullets drilled directly down into the top of Selene's skull

The solution wound up being trivially easy (though this helped). The Rotgland Lobber melts Nemesis in like five seconds. Using anything with bullets is a waste of time.

Really loved the transition to Act 2. Returnal owns.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Outer Wilds really disappointed me, read nothing but rave reviews everywhere and the experience just left me kinda confused and empty. I just don't like being in a game where everything revolves around a mystery you are putting together.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sucks cos it’s pretty amazing if it’s the kind of thing you’re into

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Vg please update with your monster energy review

OK so I tried the green one and the ginger beer one. The ginger beer one (called Mule) was a bit blah. Not what I was expecting. Just a weird tasting ginger beer with none of that spicy kick. Pepsi Max ginger beer has way more of a spiced aftertaste.

The regular green one was surprising though. Really sweet but a nice taste. I have no idea what flavour I would even call it as it was the first time I had had it. I do not think I would drink it a lot because good lord it was a bit much, but I could definitely see occasionally having one. :)

Escobarbarian posted:

omg the idea of Veeg and LVG streaming TLOU 1+2 back to back is so exciting to me!!!!!

It is going to happen :)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

That sucks cos it’s pretty amazing if it’s the kind of thing you’re into

Yeah, if you are up solving a mystery it's a pretty fun romp in a unique setting. Probably one of my favourite games last generation.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah tbh i was kinda expecting something more like Myst in space, i liked the environments and flying around a lot but the whole alien language and time loop thing wound me the wrong way

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Started up ME LEgendary. How do I choose a class in ME1? I can’t see how to choose and I get stuck with Soldier.

e: answered. Custom Shepp

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 14, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The regular Monster does taste way better than I care to admit. But I still only drink like one every two years or so, for obvious reasons

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

The regular Monster does taste way better than I care to admit. But I still only drink like one every two years or so, for obvious reasons

I have a really huge tattoo on my left leg that incorporates lots of blue streaks and everywhere i go people tell me how awesome it looks but when i tried to post it here a goon told me it just looked like the Monster logo and I got sad and never posted in that thread ever again.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Myst reference a couple posts up is interesting because I kept thinking about Myst while I was playing Resident Evil 8. Obviously a different genre, but the photorealism and mechanical puzzles in RE8 got me thinking how cool it'd be to play a fully current gen (or are we still calling it next gen) Cyan type adventure.

RE8 is at its most beautiful when there's no enemies or bullets flying and it's just gorgeously lit, detailed environments.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I have a really huge tattoo on my left leg that incorporates lots of blue streaks and everywhere i go people tell me how awesome it looks but when i tried to post it here a goon told me it just looked like the Monster logo and I got sad and never posted in that thread ever again.

Post it now!! I promise I will be nice

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing with Outer Wilds is that it's not Myst in space, it's Riven: The Sequel to Myst in space.

Riven is notable for only actually having two puzzles in it. The puzzles are huge and span the entire explorable world and tie together almost everything else you see in the game, stuff whose significance you won't even be looking for until after you've found an inexplicable input device and started connecting backwards from the options it presents to you. Outer Wilds, without looking to give away too much, does something pretty similar but is a lot more explicit about it, being as it is set in a time loop where knowledge and meaning is all you actually accumulate, and giving you as it does a gigantic conspiracy board to fill out and always, always reminding you that there are pieces to put together, somewhere.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also I just saw some news that Druckmann said they might do a tlou3 set after events of 2 and people were disappointed. Am I missing something? I love new ips but you can innovate in sequels as well. Tlou2 gameplay is such an improvement over 1 and they even added semi open areas. AS long as the quality of the product is as good tlou2 or uncharted 4, I don't mind if we get more of that as long as there more cool stories to tell and they innovate.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

smoobles posted:

got me thinking how cool it'd be to play a fully current gen (or are we still calling it next gen) Cyan type adventure.

Firmament is out in 2022 and I heard obduction was pretty good, albeit unbearably slow loading on base consoles - cyan are still making games.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

cubicle gangster posted:

Firmament is out in 2022 and I heard obduction was pretty good, albeit unbearably slow loading on base consoles - cyan are still making games.

Obduction is great although oh my god there is one puzzle in it that seems to be designed with the express purpose of toturing PS4 players because it involves having to hop back and forth across loading screens that are like a minute long each in order to move puzzle pieces around, the concept is cool as poo poo but good god. I hope it loads a lot faster on PS5 and eventually gets a native version so it can finally shed its single gigantic flaw.

(Also, loading screens in Obduction have a visual effect that is one of the coolest loving things I have ever seen in a video game)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Is there a way to remove specific versions of a game from your library? For example if you have the full game, can you remove the demo version from the version selector?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah I realised I need some pictures. Sorry for the phone pics of my tv but I don't have Twitter.
Mines WAY more extreme than other examples of it that have been posted online.

Ethan just needed to relax a bit before going to search for his wife and packed a few shrooms for the road, nothing to worry about.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

never got my cake?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

VideoGames posted:

Got some more Sekiro this evening and thinking about how close I am to the end.

I know I have said I will do Last Guardian next, but it has also lit up in my mind that there are a couple of other games I own that could be fun with friends and our reactions to things:

Outer Wilds.
Death Stranding. (Started and put down after a cutscene but can barely remember what I was doing)
TLOU (Currently past a couple of story points where is it just myself and Ellie now)
FFVIIremake Digi5 edition.
MGSV (despite only having ever played a bit of MGS1 four years ago)
Nioh 1 (Got past the big ball ship ogre)
The Surge 1 (beat the first boss) and 2 (beat the first boss)
Yakuza 2-6

I am not 100% sure about all of them, but I like that I am completing games again and it is due to playing to a schedule. So even if the games are not up people's alleyways this is likely to be a lot of what gets played after beating the Sekiro 'Bad' Ending.

Walzting made a good post about how long it would take to do the bad ending and you know it is not that wild. Plus I will be beefed up from doing the game once so hopefully NG+ is not too taxing to get back to that bad ending point. (Though the prospect of going up against Ape again......my greatest nemesis...)

yakuza 2-7+judgment+lost judgment

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Ethan just needed to relax a bit before going to search for his wife and packed a few shrooms for the road, nothing to worry about.

He. I chuckled cause this works on so many levels.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Is there a way to remove specific versions of a game from your library? For example if you have the full game, can you remove the demo version from the version selector?

Not from the version selector afaik. You can hide it from the big library view, though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

Made it about half an hour into RE7 and I don't think I like games that make me anxious or tense.

I love a horror movie but for some reason it doesn't work in games. Because I'm in control at all times I'm well aware I have the power to just walk away - it's very difficult for me to continue doing something that makes me uncomfortable when there's no accountability from someone I care about being mad at me. I can't even try and power move myself and text my mum to tell her I've wasted $60 in the hopes I can guilt myself into carrying on because I got it for free.

Playing all the way through RE7 in PSVR just completely broke the part of my brain that processes fear. I've beaten the first two bosses in RE8 and I feel nothing so far.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Man oh man.. that video on the PS5 dashboard right now, “What Mass Effect means to you.” Might as well be an Onion video. Hooly shiiiit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vikar Jerome posted:

never got my cake?

So the cake was a li--

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Lobok posted:

So the cake was a li--

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

mods doing their jobs :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Then it is decided. Finish Sekrio. Play TLG. Play TLOU. :hai:

(I also have TLOUII so if TLOU does not wreck me too much And the intro to TLOU with Joel's daughter wrecked me I can play the sequel too.)

Imo this is an excellent game plan. All 3 are modern classics. TLG is a good start because there's no sequel to play and it's much shorter than the other 2.

Also I recommend playing TLOU on Survivor. If you are up for a bit more challenging (but still reasonable) experience it's a very well crafted hard mode. Of course if you just want to check out the story it's still great either way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't play TLOU for the first time on Survivor. Do Hard. It's much better balanced for a newcomer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Outer Wilds really disappointed me, read nothing but rave reviews everywhere and the experience just left me kinda confused and empty. I just don't like being in a game where everything revolves around a mystery you are putting together.

I felt the same way but I feel like there was some barrier I never broke past. I'll probably give it another shot some day. I just felt like I was wandering around with no idea what was going on for the 90 minutes or so I that I played it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

smoobles posted:

RE8 is at its most beautiful when there's no enemies or bullets flying and it's just gorgeously lit, detailed environments.

I'm still floored by how good it looks. With the addition of ray traced global illumination, RE8's environments look as good as the prerendered backgrounds from REmake. It's wild to see the series come full circle like this. Makes me feel like a kid again to see a graphical upgrade this significant.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arist posted:

Don't play TLOU for the first time on Survivor. Do Hard. It's much better balanced for a newcomer.

He's pretty good at games. Better than me for sure and I got through it. I'm not saying it's a necessity, but I think it adds a whole of tension to the game.

I guess it boils down to if someone is in the mood just to experience a cool story, go for normal or hard. If you really want to feel like it's the apocalypse and you are barely scraping by (but always can because the game will stealth drop items so you aren't in an unwinnable situation) do survivor for sure.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Survivor just doesn't give enough resources to be fun on a first run imo, I wanna experiment with Molotovs and nail bombs!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RE8 looks amazing but it looks slightly inconsistent imo. it feels like they put more work into making the first half of the game look stunning. Or maybe it's just that the opulent interiors are better for showing off the ray tracing and uber detailed textures than the more ramshackle areas of the later half.

it's wild how good the lighting looks in the castle and the house after that though. At one point I sat there for like 10 minutes just circling around a room and looking at a lamp and checking how the light bounced off the walls and surrounding objects and it was insane how realistic it was

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RE8 is full of vaguely humanoid looking reflections, shadows and statues that pop through to the players vision at sneaky angles and it’s loving masterful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

RE8 looks amazing but it looks slightly inconsistent imo. it feels like they put more work into making the first half of the game look stunning. Or maybe it's just that the opulent interiors are better for showing off the ray tracing and uber detailed textures than the more ramshackle areas of the later half.

it's wild how good the lighting looks in the castle and the house after that though. At one point I sat there for like 10 minutes just circling around a room and looking at a lamp and checking how the light bounced off the walls and surrounding objects and it was insane how realistic it was

Yeah RE8 does front load the gorgeous environments. The Winters home is also an amazing showcase. But I was impressed throughout, just the way foliage and snow on the ground is lit outdoors looks amazing to me. Even the dilapidated village homes leave me impressed. Granted I played on PC with all ray tracing maxed. I think PS5's ray tracing mode gets global illumination and reflections, but I'm not sure if it uses ray traced ambient occlusion or traditional SSAO.