Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Platystemon posted:

The owners probably opted out. I recall them having obnoxious javascript in an attempt to foil copy & paste from their pages.

that sucks. i just want to see those cute little pixel icons and read about various celebs having their ribs removed/getting their stomachs pumped/eating pop rocks and soda and exploding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Why are philips and slotted head drivers the standard for normal consumer use instead of square drivers

Besides what other people said, phillips are also a little more versatile in size. A big phillips bit can usually turn a small head well enough and vice versa, to a point, not ideal but sometimes that's what you got. Square drivers if you don't have the right size you're out of luck.

Flat head even moreso, you can stick a dime in there if you have to.

Gibbs
May 9, 2021

Hi all - couple newbie forum questions I haven't been able to answer after spending a few hours reading rules, SAclopedia, lurking, etc.

1) Is there a convenient single page that explains what each SA forum is for, rather than having to navigate SAclopedia for each individual acronym (BYOB, C-SPAM, FYAD, etc.). Further ignoring that each SAclopedia entry is full of mostly in-joke comments that further confuse me.

2) Is there a sub-forum that encourages / is best for breaking global news? I know forums aren't the best format for this but some of my wildest memories from prior sites is learning about crazy poo poo the moment something happens. If China fires a missile at Taiwan, which forum would have a thread on that near-instantaneously? GBS?

Thanks!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You're gonna get a lot of different answers about that! But I agree it's not super easy to navigate for a newcomer, and SAclopedia is not very helpful, tbh i often forget it exists.

For your question #2 I'd say a mix of GBS, D&D, and CSPAM.

GBS is very general and not really political but also very active so it's likely people will be posting about really crazy current events as they break.

D&D and CSPAM are the two politics forums and they have threads that are basically all about people posting and discussing breaking news. D&D is kinda more about effort posts, like a debate club; CSPAM is more about casual posting "lmao wat the gently caress" about politics and news; i think both are very valuable depending on what you're looking for.

e: for your question #1 if nobody beats me to it I'll write a quick guide tomorrow morning but it's probably something we should have on hand for new users anyway...

alnilam fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 14, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
It is traditional for newcomers to post a thread introducing themselves in GBS.

Choose a thread icon, but not one of the forbidden ones cautioned against in the left column. If you leave the thread icon blank, you get one that’s green and says “shitpost”—a serious faux pas.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Keep in mind that if you post in D&D you can get in trouble for saying that America runs concentration camps (it was okay to call them that before Biden was elected but it's not okay anymore for some reason) or point out that America is still very much a country that perpetuates slavery domestically or abroad (I think it's okay to complain about it when GOP cretins do it but they get real mad if you point it out when Kamala Harris or other dems do).

CSPAM is a lot less psychotic and evil than D&D but it's also less serious and "lower effort" style and they'll tell you to gently caress off for being a neoliberal or a fascist if you're into that kind of poo poo.

GBS has rules against politics in general but they would definitely have a thread about it immediately if China launched a missile at Taiwan or other big events like that.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 14, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gibbs posted:

Hi all - couple newbie forum questions I haven't been able to answer after spending a few hours reading rules, SAclopedia, lurking, etc.

1) Is there a convenient single page that explains what each SA forum is for, rather than having to navigate SAclopedia for each individual acronym (BYOB, C-SPAM, FYAD, etc.). Further ignoring that each SAclopedia entry is full of mostly in-joke comments that further confuse me.

2) Is there a sub-forum that encourages / is best for breaking global news? I know forums aren't the best format for this but some of my wildest memories from prior sites is learning about crazy poo poo the moment something happens. If China fires a missile at Taiwan, which forum would have a thread on that near-instantaneously? GBS?

Thanks!

GBS - General Bullshit. A catch-all anything goes chat forum. Has a lax tone but isn't a full no punctuation allowed zone such as FYAD or Imp Zone. You'll find gems such as the r/relationships thread in there, or cool photoshop threads. As the moderator of one of their subforums, I need to highlight e/n as the general mental health subforum. Go here if you're having a bad day, or a bad date, and get goon advice.
FYAD - gently caress You And Die. I'm not a regular, but as I understand it's a place where you shouldn't be serious or use punctuation. It's meant for jokes, insults, and being rude in a funny way.
PYF - Post Your Favorite. Themed threads around posting the thread topic. "Post Cat Pics" should be obvious.
BYOB - Bring your own Beer (IIRC). Similar to FYAD in that it's not serious and has its own stylesheet, but it's EXTREMELY chill and welcoming. One of its mods is extremely into ants and will tell you cool facts if you ask.

Games - Self-explanatory. Massive, has a lot of subforums, hosts video games, traditional games, and more. You probably know of it because of Let's Play, as SomethingAwful spawned that entire genre. I highly recommend talking about games with goons, they're knowledgeable and passionate.
Disease & Disaster - D&D. The politics forum. Go here to discuss politics in a relatively serious manner. If you want to instead shitpost about how [politician] is ruining [country], go instead to
C-SPAM - The other politics forum. Used to be a subforum. This is the FYAD of politics, where you come to a stylesheet and leave punctuation at the door.
Ask/Tell - The informative forum. It functions as both a "ask questions about subject" forum and a host for random megathreads that don't fit elsewhere, such as religion, parenting, military history, and working in aviation. The subforums continue this, and I recommend BFC if you have an income and want to use it properly. They helped me pick out a credit card and such, good stuff.
RSF: Great Space Space - Rotating Sub Forum, meaning this isn't a permanent top-level forum. RSFs are here for a time so we can celebrate a subject, and then gone. This one is about space and space travel and cool stuff like that!
Serious Hardware / Software Crap: Self-explanatory. This is for computer touching, and if you use these programs or hardware you can find cool threads in here. Do be warned that the goons here are extremely passionate and if you ask for hardware recommendations they will do their best to sell you the best thing known to man, regardless of whether it fits your budget. I love their enthusiasm. Of their subforums, I'll highlight YOSPOS as it's the only one I've been in - it's another FYAD/BYOB/C-SPAM-like where there's a stylesheet and posting standards are relaxed so goons can shoot the poo poo over topics of their choice. The useless wikipedia thread is a highlight.
Inspect Your Gadgets - Adjacent to SHSC in that it's about computer-related gadgets. I am not a regular and can't be a good guide here, so please go in there yourself and check out the threads. They seem to like Apple!
Supposedly About Sports - Sports! Similar to Games, but this time exclusively games that take place in real life. I enjoy their Sumo threads.
You Look Like poo poo - Goon health, fitness, fashion, and so on. Has an amazing OP on how to lose weight and lift weights.
The Great Outdoors - As a true goon, I don't go in here. :v: This forum is about hiking and camping and outdoor things, which are neat!
Goons With Spoons - Cooking! Food! Go here to learn how to bake bread or cook cuisine you've never heard of. The goons in here have been extremely helpful and friendly to me in helping me learn how to do more with vegetables.
Automotive Insanity - Cars, trucks, etc. I don't own any of these so I never go in here.
Hobbies, Crafts and Houses - The DIY place, for building or maintaining houses and such. Think Home Depot, but it's full of goons.
Pet Island - Pets! Animals! If you own a pet, please take pictures of it and post it here.
The Firing Range - Guns! If you own or wish to own a gun, PLEASE go here and read these threads, these goons are passionate about guns and using guns safely.
Crackhead Clubhouse - Drugs, weed, alcohol, etc. The goons in here know more about these substances than I ever will.
Internet VFW - Goons in platoons - in other words, the military. Contains resources for soldiers, and the best dog photos thread on the forum.

Imp Zone - Another chat subforum, similar to FYAD/BYOB/etc, but this time it's focused around games. Be chill and talk about Mario in here!
The Sci-Fi Wi-Fi - I don't actually know what this forum is about. Star Wars?
Cinema Discusso - Movies! Movie chat! Have you seen a movie? Talk about it here.
No Music Discussion - Songs! Music! Have you heard a song? Talk about it here.
PHIZ - I don't actually know what this forum is about. Music? Chatting? It seems to be a chat forum similar to FYAD/BYOB/etc.
Creative Convention - Are you a writer, a painter, an artist? This is where you go to get resources and talk about this. Contains the Thunderdome and other cool goon challenges.
The Book Br- Hieronymous Alloy please rename it back to Book Barn thank you. Ahem. This is where you go to talk about books, or book-reading devices such as kindles. I adore the Sci-fi/Fantasy megathread for having mostly good taste in books.
TV IV - Television! Have you seen an episode of [recent popular TV series] and have opinions on it? Go here.
Rapidly Going Deaf - Podcasts! The hot new technology has caught on and radio shows are out, podcasts are in. Talk about 'em here.
BSS - Batman's Shameful Secret/Scrappy Sidekick/etc. This is where you talk about comic books, webcomics, and newspaper comics. Laugh about how Marvel's destroying its good name today, enjoy beautiful art, and follow the newspaper comic to develop opinions about a dying artform.
ADTRW - The anime subforum! Anime and manga goes here, as well as Korean comics and Chinese ones. Be careful in here lest your to-watch list grow about a hundred sizes.

SA-Mart - ebay, but with goons and for goons. READ THE RULES breaking them in here can get you harsh penalties, because real money can be involved.
LAN - Regional chat. Find out if you have hot goons in your area!
QCS - Forums feedback. Do you think [forum] is being mismanaged? Should there be new rules? Did [user] insult your mom? This is where you go.
Technical - Forums feedback, but for the site itself. Did a post get eaten? Is there a typo somewhere? The valiant coders are doing their best to fix everything, but radium left behind a legacy of terror.

And the archives are for especially good, funny or bad threads.

...Phew! That's the whole website. God I love SomethingAwful.com.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I've been on this site for a while but never ventured into a few of the various sub-forums so thanks for this writeup!

Gibbs
May 9, 2021

Thank you everyone, especially Strix for the extremely helpful breakdown.

I see I have a new avatar which I actually kind of love and will wear with honour. Also I'm a cheap bastard. So whoever gave it to me, it will be there for a while... You will get your money's worth!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The Awful app is excellent for browsing the forums on your phone or tablet, fyi. Nowadays at least like 80% of my time here is through my phone.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

e:
The stupid newbie avatar is something everyone gets, I think. It changes sometimes. I didn't get one when I registered for some reason, but I picked up this awesome gangtag a while back. Sometimes there's threads or something happens in a thread and a generous moderator spends some time giving out avatars or gangtags to people. Sometimes someone buys you one, which can be good or bad depending. That's why you sometimes see people with insulting avatars or something saying "If I post in [x] report me so I can get banned" or quoting and linking an awful or embarassing post or whatever.

SA is fun. Be prepared to spend an unhealthy amount of time here.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 14, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Gibbs posted:

Thank you everyone, especially Strix for the extremely helpful breakdown.

I see I have a new avatar which I actually kind of love and will wear with honour. Also I'm a cheap bastard. So whoever gave it to me, it will be there for a while... You will get your money's worth!

The stupid newbie avatar is given to people who don't put anything in one of the fields during sign-up

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Keep in mind that if you post in D&D you can get in trouble for saying that America runs concentration camps (it was okay to call them that before Biden was elected but it's not okay anymore for some reason) or point out that America is still very much a country that perpetuates slavery domestically or abroad (I think it's okay to complain about it when GOP cretins do it but they get real mad if you point it out when Kamala Harris or other dems do).

CSPAM is a lot less psychotic and evil than D&D but it's also less serious and "lower effort" style and they'll tell you to gently caress off for being a neoliberal or a fascist if you're into that kind of poo poo.

GBS has rules against politics in general but they would definitely have a thread about it immediately if China launched a missile at Taiwan or other big events like that.

This poster would be a good test of the "Ignore Feature" if you haven't found that yet

Gibbs
May 9, 2021

Okay that's hilarious. Thanks both for explaining Slimy and Taeke. I think I'm going to like this place!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

SA is super chaotic but there's definitely rules to the place, only those vary from subforum to subforum and from thread to thread. The general advice is 'lurk more' for a reason. You really gotta get a feel for the place. Usually, if you act and post like a normal sane person you'll be alright, and my advice is to just not hit post if you feel iffy after writing something up. Still happens to me a lot, even after more than a decade here. I'll write something up and then ask myself if it's a useful contribution to the conversation, realize I'm just reiterating something already said or my opinion doesn't add anything, and delete it. On the other hand, don't be too awkard when you do post. Don't be that person that says 'sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker' when there's absolutely nothing wrong with the writing, you know?

Oh, and also don't have thin skin. Goons are mean loving assholes.

You seem alright so far. You found the right thread for these questions which is better than like 90% of new posters.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Taeke posted:

Oh, and also don't have thin skin. Goons are mean loving assholes.

I think many, maybe even most, goons are quite nice. But yeah there is definitely flaming that occurs here and it's usually ideally about the content if a post and not the person making it, so if you can learn to accept jibes in good humor you will do well.

Some subforums tolerate flaming more than others.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think old fyad had a thread where they just replaced movie titles with the word fag, so "the quick and the dead" would become "the fag and the fag" just so youre warned on what people mean when they say its got a more abrasive style of humor.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Gibbs posted:

Okay that's hilarious. Thanks both for explaining Slimy and Taeke. I think I'm going to like this place!
How did you find SA and what made you decide to register an account? I’m always wonder how new people find this place.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, that was meant to be kinda tongue in cheek. Goons are loving awesome and by far the best community I've ever been a part of. Also there's a big difference between like CSPAM and some thread dedicated to a specific niche topic, although even those can get really heated at times.

Like you wouldn't believe how worked up people can get about dungeons and dragons, a computer game, tv or even loving linguistics or whatever. It's important to realize you don't even have to acknowledge every post directed at you, let alone respond to them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

There's nothing official, but in my professional experience, every other day is a good frequency for making calls. Annoying enough that you are difficult to forget/ignore, but not so overwhelmingly annoying that you are going to make them spite you.

If given the option, always leave a message, but keep it brief. Include what day and time so they don't think it's a repeat message. "Hello, this is Strix, it's Wednesday at about 12:30, I'm calling in regards to getting my rear end cheeks laminated. I can be reached at 555-7176. Thanks."

IMO, voicemails should always start with your name and phone number *TWICE*, then a quick summary of why you're calling, then your name and phone number again. If this takes longer than a minute, send an email instead.

Don't make someone listen to an entire voicemail again just to get your phone number at the end.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How did you find SA and what made you decide to register an account? I’m always wonder how new people find this place.
You'd probably like Post-2010 forum members, how did you find SA and decide to join up?.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

What do I do with a small amount (half a gallon) of really old gasoline?

Back story: Three years ago I replaced my lawn mower with a new battery-powered one. Today while moving some stuff in the garage I discovered that the gas can, which I had used to fuel the old mower, still has about half a gallon left in it. I know gasoline goes bad over time, but some people on the Internet say that as long as you dilute it into a lot of fresh fuel, it's still perfectly usable. So is it okay to put it into my car's tank, perhaps spread out a little at a time over several fill-ups? Or would that just be taking chances for no good reason?

Dump it on a fire and submit the video to the schadenfreude thread after you get out of the hospital. :v:

Don't put it in your car, while it's a relatively small amount, gas gets weird and sorta gummy/basically turns into varnish when it gets old and will clog your fuel injectors, ruin your fuel pump, and just coat your fuel system in a nasty resin. Look into hazardous material disposal in your area, or barring that contact a local auto shop and see if they can take it off your hands.

Content:

What spurred the rise of strange etiquette films in the 1940s and 50s? Weree people really just uncouth swine until then or was it some weird thing to do with the US becoming a global super power somehow?

Like this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiD91wPLQZA

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

IMO, voicemails should always start with your name and phone number *TWICE*, then a quick summary of why you're calling, then your name and phone number again. If this takes longer than a minute, send an email instead.

Don't make someone listen to an entire voicemail again just to get your phone number at the end.

The best strategy is to compose a jingle to make your name and number extremely memorable

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dog nougat posted:

Content:

What spurred the rise of strange etiquette films in the 1940s and 50s? Weree people really just uncouth swine until then or was it some weird thing to do with the US becoming a global super power somehow?

Like this for example:

That's a really good question. Here's my educated guess but I'd love to see some more learned answers.

In that era, every feature film would be preceded by a short or two. This is where Looney Toons came from. During WW2, they would stick wartime newsreels in there.

Also the postwar years were filled with intense commie-phobia, and a lot of people saw social conservatism as a way to keep godless communism at bay.

So you've got empty newsreel spots. You've got the studios that used to make newsreels, now with nothing to do. You've got a social undercurrent that we have to teach our children The American Way lest they fall to communism.

Also, it wasn't just etiquette films, a lot of educational shorts came out in that era. Think of the shorts MST3K would do sometimes. Maybe there was a sudden rash of thinking as cinema as a useful tool for education. Noooo springs!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I bought a baseball cap for the first time in a while this week. It’s a fitted hat with a flat brim. But the brim is tilted as an angle, so that you can see the underside now.

My question is, is this normal for flat brimmed caps these days, or is it something weird with the one I bought? I have some similar caps from years past and none of the brims are at an angle.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

dog nougat posted:

Etiquette guides have existed in western culture forever. I know of etiquette guides from the fourteenth century, but they probably go back much earlier, there are probably ancient roman and greek versions. Your question is more about the rise of film itself rather than etiquette.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The most famous Danish etiquette guide was written in 1918 because of all these loving newly rich idiots not knowing how to behave like rich fuckers. It's basically a guide to not falling through in interactions with your new peers.

It has some good points though. For instance, if your kid brings home a boyfriend/girlfriend you don't like, you gotta shut up and deal with it, it's not like you can change their mind anyway.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah, etiquette is new money people divorcing themselves from their previous class by mirroring what they think the aristocracy lives like.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Building on that, the period following the depression (so 40s to 50s roughly) basically invented the middle class as we know (knew) it, which led to a bunch of people suddenly having enough to get by and then some. We have some hilarious examples of guides to being a housewife that tells you to clean everywhere superficially every day and in depth in one room per day. This was needed because suddenly the women didn't have to participate in the unofficial economy at much by sewing, washing, childcare, etc, etc. I'm betting a lot of etiquette poo poo got targeted to the new middle class.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fun etiquette guide fact: a German guy named Adolph Freiherr Knigge wrote a book called, loosely translated, "On Human Relations," in the 18th century, that was supposed to be an observational, sociological treatise on human relations. Over time it became misinterpreted as an etiquette guide, and today in Germany, the name Knigge is shorthand for proper etiquette, like "if I remember my Knigge, the little fork goes on the right" or whatever.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

dog nougat posted:

Content:

Like this for example:

on top of what was already said about the rise of film, the post-war years were also full of a lot of immigration from europe, and panics around all kinds of "degeneracy" like homosexuality, etc. so there was a lot of effort put into cultural assimilation during the time. the active construction of social structures including sexuality, gender expression, etiquette and class really got fired up during that period

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

StrixNebulosa posted:

PHIZ - I don't actually know what this forum is about. Music? Chatting? It seems to be a chat forum similar to FYAD/BYOB/etc.

PHIZ used to be called Entertainment, Weakly:

Zorak posted:

Entertainment, Weakly is basically a casual shitposting forum for movies, TV, music, books... anything covered in The Finer Arts section. Here are the rules:

PLEASE REPORT RULE VIOLATIONS!!

- Tag NWS images! Untagged NWS images will get you banned.
- Don't break any rules you can't break in FYAD (files/hacks/homegrown/etc.)
- Your threads must be about and have a clear relation to movies, music, books, anime, TV, art, or comics. (no circle jerking/name drop/off-topic/meta or you get banned)
- No image/text/emot/thread/link spamming (usually you'll just get probation, but this is bannable in extreme cases)
- No drunk posting and no racism anywhere period!!!

THAT'S IT.

Gibbs
May 9, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've been looking for a new place for a while. I was on Neogaf for over a decade but it's a graveyard now. I tried Resetera but can't stand the insane moderation and even more insane member base. That didn't last long, haha.

So I started Googling around for most active forums and found SA. I should have made the switch in 2017 when GAF first blew up but I held onto misplaced hope that the community would come back. I was super wrong.

I'm actually dumbfounded I didn't find this place years ago because it seems like a perfect fit for me. I suppose I never bothered looking because GAF was always 'good enough'.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Drimble Wedge posted:

PHIZ used to be called Entertainment, Weakly:

it was called phiz before it was renamed to entertainment, weakly and then it went back to phiz because no one who posts there wanted the name to change in the first place nor understood why it happened

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Sorry, didn't know. :( Never set foot in there before.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Great Outdoors - As a true goon, I don't go in here. :v: This forum is about hiking and camping and outdoor things, which are neat!

Automotive Insanity - Cars, trucks, etc. I don't own any of these so I never go in here.

If its any kind of outdoor activity, TGO is the place to talk about it. Only like two posters are crazy hermits living alone in a cabin in the woods, I promise!

AI is for basically having fun with anything mechanical. We got cars, trucks, boats, planes, trains and even bicycles. The two wheeled death machines go in our baby brother forum Cycle Asylum WHO I NOTICE STRIX FORGOT TO MENTION. Beware, there be monsters here.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The AI Stupid Question Thread is one of the best resources on the forums. A solid group of posters with hundreds of collective years of experience fixing and loving with anything and everything with an engine. I often direct people from this thread to that one when they're asking about car stuff, it's a model digital affinity space.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm enjoying learning about PHIZ and such, thank you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Coupons is the best forum. I’ve never been there I just have a gut feeling.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Coupons is the best forum. I’ve never been there I just have a gut feeling.

I glanced in its direction once and can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
One of my favorite memories of SA was the coupons mod coming out of nowhere during the Nazi Discord Troubles to pass out bans like he had incredible 2-for-1 deals.