Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

nordichammer posted:

That Homefront game is like 70GB iirc so its likely not worth HD Timesplitters.

I disagree, Timesplitters is absolutely worth it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

I disagree, Timesplitters is absolutely worth it :colbert:

Not if you have to play Homefront: The Revolution. That game is a loving dire death march.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

Not if you have to play Homefront: The Revolution. That game is a loving dire death march.

I haven't played it because it looks like cultural poison, but the thread is pretty positive on Homefront.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Trickyblackjack posted:

I haven't played it because it looks like cultural poison, but the thread is pretty positive on Homefront.

Original Homefront is great fun, has a short campaign where you're changing weapons every few seconds. I played the multiplayer for about 50+ hours back when servers were packed with frantic team deathmatches filled with shotguns.

Homefront: The Revolution is basically a retelling of the first game, but with all the fun stripped out, where you need to do enough scavenger hunts to free a zone. I heard good things about the dlc side missions, but I haven't gotten to go near them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve got the opposite opinion there. The first Homefront was a boring CoD ripoff, Revolution was a real fun guerilla hit and run open world shooter where you feel like you’re making the most meaningful hits you can on an occupying force but aren’t going to win the war yourself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I noticed that DF was kind of down on the RE8 PC port but I gotta say the game runs great on my system (5600x + 3080 hate on me haters). Maxed out settings, ray-tracing enabled and all that and I'm still hitting 144fps in most areas with it never really going below 100. My only complaints are that I get screen tearing without V-Sync enabled on a G-Sync monitor, which is curious, and that some reflective surfaces have a low-res kind of dithering effect. But otherwise it's one of the best-looking games out there on PC. After CP2077 it's nice to just have a game that runs well without having to do parlor tricks to get a semi-decent picture.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

3080 hate on me haters

:argh:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

exquisite tea posted:

I noticed that DF was kind of down on the RE8 PC port but I gotta say the game runs great on my system (5600x + 3080 hate on me haters). Maxed out settings, ray-tracing enabled and all that and I'm still hitting 144fps in most areas with it never really going below 100. My only complaints are that I get screen tearing without V-Sync enabled on a G-Sync monitor, which is curious, and that some reflective surfaces have a low-res kind of dithering effect. But otherwise it's one of the best-looking games out there on PC. After CP2077 it's nice to just have a game that runs well without having to do parlor tricks to get a semi-decent picture.

You're getting tearing because your framerate is uncapped and vsync is off. VRR does not work when frames come faster than the monitor can display them. You always want a framerate cap with a VRR monitor. Use the Nvidia control panel to cap your framerate to 141 and you won't see tearing.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've installed Dark Souls 2, and I am concerned.

First it took 30 minutes and three Steam guides to get the controls to something that resembles what I'm used to from DS:R, but there is a known bug that From hasn't fixed where every time you launch the game you have to disable double-clicking, as it never retains this one specific setting. Fixable with a mod that may or may not get you VAC-banned. I fully understand I'm partially bringing this on myself by using m&kb... but still.

In the process I found out there is no offline mode? :ohdear: I played DS:R strictly offline and am completely uninterested in multiplayer. It's categorically not what I'm here for. I should've done my research here... I thought fine, I'll stay Hollow, but nope, you can be invaded while Hollow too. I read you can reduce the chance of that happening (but not eliminate it) by burning effigies, but only temporarily. I will be very salty if an invader ruins my day when I'm one hit away from beating a difficult boss or something.

And there are no cloud saves! I don't have my backup drive with me in my current temporary housing conditions so that makes me a little nervous even if my SSD is fairly new and healthy.

Feels like I'm getting off on the wrong foot with this game. I am a little uncomfortable.

But! On the other hand! This series is probably not interested in making the player comfortable, right? And after sleeping on it I actually found this whole thing a little funny, as if the game's testing my resolve before I've even properly gotten started. So sure, I'll disable that setting every time I launch the game, it'll be a little opening ritual. And I'll sometimes get trounced in PvP by someone. Whatever. Bring it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
You can play DS2 in offline mode, you just have to trick the game into thinking it's not your fault. Start Steam in offline mode, or turn off your wifi/unplug the cable temporarily as you're playing, and the game will tell you that you're now stuck in offline mode until you relaunch.

And yes, as you found out, you can be invaded while hollow, and effigy-burning is how you limit/prevent that. Not that the population is massive these days though (outside of the yearly Return to Drangleic), and the Soul Memory matchmaking stat will further reduce the amount of players that can invade you at any one time anyhow. So for a first run, I'd save effigies to remove hollowing instead, apart from if you find yourself in a long, difficult area and the same invader keeps joining every time. There's no risk for you to have a boss fight ruined mind, as invaders can't join these.

Can't comment for the double clicking, sorry, I always play these with a controller.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Shemue III

Somehow it's not only a step back in a lot of ways from Shenmue 1&2, but I'm actually disappointed at what it reveals about Yu Suzuki. I would've thought that maybe a big part of the first two games was being given a massive budget and reaching for an impossible goal, so once having to work with a much smaller budget it would curb some of the excesses from the first two.

It seems like instead, the reverse happened, where rather then learn from the mistakes of the past, he doubled down on them convinced that forcing players to earn meager amounts of money for chores and odd jobs was a good method to stretch out the game well beyond its actual story content. That's not even addressing the combat, which is significantly worse, the main goal of which seems to be "you can't beat these people, go level up your skills" encounters during story progression.

Oh, and in order to level up your attack, you have to master moves. In order to get new moves, you have to buy/trade for them at the pawn shop. So it just adds a huge chunk of time you'd need to waste grinding for items and money under normal circumstances.

However it seems like at least one person working on the game could smell the bullshit, because pretty early on you can find a fortune teller, who coincidentally is right next to a gambling set-up (this tiny rural village has a shocking amount of gambling related activities), and if you pay $10 to get your lucky color, you can very easily start making a huge amount of money in a very short time.

There's other, very obvious things that show a lack of care of concern with the final product. Many of the VA lines are delivered like no one cared, and I've heard at least a few times that the various Chinese names are pronounced in different ways. It just seems like the game was poorly filled out wrt another grand ambition first, then what little money was left over had to cover over the cracks as best they could. The first major "search through drawers" in a temple has you rooting around looking at everything trying to trigger the plot, and almost all Ryo's responses are "huh, this is...". It's so devoid of meaning or purpose I don't get how a functional human being would see that and think it delivers a game experience worth having.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Glare Seethe posted:

First it took 30 minutes and three Steam guides to get the controls to something that resembles what I'm used to from DS:R, but there is a known bug that From hasn't fixed where every time you launch the game you have to disable double-clicking, as it never retains this one specific setting. Fixable with a mod that may or may not get you VAC-banned. I fully understand I'm partially bringing this on myself by using m&kb... but still.

In the process I found out there is no offline mode? :ohdear: I played DS:R strictly offline and am completely uninterested in multiplayer. It's categorically not what I'm here for. I should've done my research here... I thought fine, I'll stay Hollow, but nope, you can be invaded while Hollow too. I read you can reduce the chance of that happening (but not eliminate it) by burning effigies, but only temporarily. I will be very salty if an invader ruins my day when I'm one hit away from beating a difficult boss or something.

And there are no cloud saves! I don't have my backup drive with me in my current temporary housing conditions so that makes me a little nervous even if my SSD is fairly new and healthy.

Feels like I'm getting off on the wrong foot with this game. I am a little uncomfortable.

But! On the other hand! This series is probably not interested in making the player comfortable, right? And after sleeping on it I actually found this whole thing a little funny, as if the game's testing my resolve before I've even properly gotten started. So sure, I'll disable that setting every time I launch the game, it'll be a little opening ritual. And I'll sometimes get trounced in PvP by someone. Whatever. Bring it.

The games mouse and keyboard support isn't good. It's not intended for it and the devs very much half arsed the implementation.

As for invasions, you have to play online. The creators see invasions as part of the game so not allowing you to play offline was intentional. Also note even if you manage to play offline, there are multiple npc invaders who will invade at certain points in the game. Nothing you can do about them. Honestly though it's an old game and outside the main pvp areas you likely won't see anyone.

You also can't be invaded during boss fights (except one if I remember correctly)

As for game saves never rely on just steam cloud. It's failed me multiple times. I use https://www.gamesave-manager.com/ scheduled for once a week and then have it backup up on a server, but Dropbox/Google drive would work too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is ME supposed to be out today?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Imagine not being a Bellbro

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Glare Seethe posted:

If steam starts in offline mode before launching DS2 there will be no invasions. You'll get a message that DS2 is in offline mode when the game launches.

for what it's worth, during my last 45 hour playthrough I got maybe 6 invasions by other players, so it's not nearly as often as during the height of the game's popularity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pwnstar posted:

Imagine not being a Bellbro

Don't you touch that fuckin bell

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is Dishonored worth playing before Dishonored 2?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Having not played 2, I would say yes. Dishonored is a very cool game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

I would say yes. Not only is Dishonored 1 a good game, but also the playable characters in 2 are the same as in Dishonored 1.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Yes but Dishonored does suffer a bit from the stealth/non-lethal gameplay being tacked on near the end of development. It is also very much worth playing the Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches DLCs. Not only because it introduces the antagonist of Dishonored 2 but because it adds a much needed layer of personality to its main character (who unfortunately isn’t the main character of the main game but details).

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Kibayasu posted:

Yes but Dishonored does suffer a bit from the stealth/non-lethal gameplay being tacked on near the end of development.

I'm fairly sure it was the alternative non-lethal takedowns of the assassination targets that was tacked on at the end, not the non-lethal stealth gameplay in general. It was always a stealth game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Seconding the 'get the DLC' advice. Maybe trial the game for two hours first, then refund and buy an 'everything' bundle if you find you like it? Basically the DLC for D1 is a whole new campaign, shorter than the main game but better since it's made with hindsight and aimed at experienced players.

One day I'll be able to get the sequel working under proton, I've been trying for years now =[

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Dishonored 1 is worth a playthrough but suffers from an issue where the stealthy, non-lethal gameplay is an interminable bore. They take great lengths to fix this in 2, though, even if you choose to play as Corvo again.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Stealth in Dishonored is a ton of fun. Ghost is un-fun. The only real problems with the game are that the ending is impacted by how you play, and that it has achievements for playing in particular ways. Both of those are huge sins, but if you just ignore all that poo poo and play the game the way you want moment by moment and experiment with the tools you have, it's one of the best games ever made. Also don't be shy about using mana, it's like bio energy in Deus Ex. You get way the gently caress more of it than you'll ever need and trying to conserve it will make you have less fun.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Glare Seethe posted:

I played through DS2 last year when quarantine was on and I think I was invaded maybe once? It’s not a dead game but it’s not that active either. Most people looking for PVP are doing it in specific areas as the pvp faction or as red summons rather than invading randoms.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

K8.0 posted:

Stealth in Dishonored is a ton of fun. Ghost is un-fun. The only real problems with the game are that the ending is impacted by how you play, and that it has achievements for playing in particular ways. Both of those are huge sins, but if you just ignore all that poo poo and play the game the way you want moment by moment and experiment with the tools you have, it's one of the best games ever made. Also don't be shy about using mana, it's like bio energy in Deus Ex. You get way the gently caress more of it than you'll ever need and trying to conserve it will make you have less fun.
My only complaint about Ghost in Dishonored is that it's not completely obvious when you've blown it and you have to wait until the end of the mission to find out. (Still not as bad as the corresponding one in DX:HR where you basically have to wait until the end of the game to find out if you got it). Getting the Dishonored 1 platinum is probably one of my favourite platinums to this day.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pirate Jet posted:

Dishonored 1 is worth a playthrough but suffers from an issue where the stealthy, non-lethal gameplay is an interminable bore. They take great lengths to fix this in 2, though, even if you choose to play as Corvo again.

Eh, I played through Dishonored 1 fully non-lethal and still had a blast with it, it's not like Thief needed a large superpower arsenal for stealthing on idiot guards to be fun.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I play all Souls games offline. Not so much because of invasions (though I do hate that bullshit), but more because I hate seeing messages from other players. Other people ruin everything.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

chglcu posted:

I hate seeing messages from other players.
:wtc:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

chglcu posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I play all Souls games offline. Not so much because of invasions (though I do hate that bullshit), but more because I hate seeing messages from other players. Other people ruin everything.

Oh I feel this. They can be immersion breaking and a huge part of why Dark Souls is so good is that atmosphere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chglcu posted:

I guess this means you won't be voting for my team...

chglcu
May 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh I feel this. They can be immersion breaking and a huge part of why Dark Souls is so good is that atmosphere.

Yeah, it's mostly this, but I also really dislike how they spoil surprises just by showing up, even without actually reading them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Serephina posted:

One day I'll be able to get the sequel working under proton, I've been trying for years now =[

Huh?! I just played it in proton a few months ago. Worked ootb without any fuckery.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

chglcu posted:

Yeah, it's mostly this, but I also really dislike how they spoil surprises just by showing up, even without actually reading them.

I can get that. There are also so many hidden doors in dark souls you have no chance of finding them without it on though, especially in 2.

Few mechanics too. Like who the hell was the first person to realise you could burn the windmill? It's so obtuse I don't see anyone finding it on a normal playthrough with messages off.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I played dishonored 2 almost up to completion but spent the entire time thinking about how I’d rather play Prey instead. Then I finally shelved it and started another Prey run and man it was such an immediate improvement.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I liked Dishonored 1. Tried to play 2 but couldn’t really get into it; I think I’ll enjoy it if I do try it again, though.

I’ve tried to play Prey three times now and man it is just so boring. I can’t even put my finger in why, but boy I just do not like it. Feels like a total chore to play.

I did really enjoy System Shock back in the 90’s. Maybe I’m just too casual these days- I only really get to play games for maybe two hours a week, so I need that immediate engagement and bristle much more at fiddly mechanics and the like.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The dark souls games feel like they're really designed around other players' messages "spoiling" surprises though.
There's so many secret doors with no indication or hidden enemy ambushes right around a corner that seem like they're basically designed for other players to point them out with soapstone messages.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The dark souls games feel like they're really designed around other players' messages "spoiling" surprises though.
There's so many secret doors with no indication or hidden enemy ambushes right around a corner that seem like they're basically designed for other players to point them out with soapstone messages.

Yeah, I agree it's part of the game's design, but it's a part I dislike it enough to just deal with the annoyances of having it off. If I get really stuck for long enough I'll break down and look very specific things up on the internet, but otherwise I just accept that I might miss some stuff and do the best I can alone. I also haven't actually finished any of the games yet, so I can't say the approach actually works. That's mostly due to me having trouble remaining interested in long games these days, though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve tried to play Prey three times now and man it is just so boring. I can’t even put my finger in why, but boy I just do not like it. Feels like a total chore to play.
That’s hilarious because that’s basically my take on Dishonored. It’s weird because all my false starts/finishes begin with “this game is what I want on paper, so it should be fun practice right?” but it never sticks to for me and I’m always waiting to get roped in but it doesn’t happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Listen carefully, skeleton