Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Mandarin was the baddie in two episodes of an incredibly cheap iron man cartoon show I watched three episodes of off a rented video tape when I was about 5 so how very dare they destroy my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I mean they were retconing Shang-Chi's dad to be the Mandarin.

Originally his dad was Fu Manchu.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Marvel lost the rights to Fu Manchu a long time ago, the comics also retconned his dad years ago (although they didn't use the Mandarin afaik)

Of course if anyone could have managed to buy the rights to Sax Rohmer's back catalogue it would have been Disney but I guess they weren't all that concerned

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought Fu Manchu was public domain by now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Just create a new character called Ma Funchu, who cares?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Well this is ironic.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/marvel-shang-chi-eternals-china-release-1234971166/

Shang-Chi might have trouble screening in China due to using the "real" Mandarin as a villain. Meanwhile, Eternals sees a similar issue but because of Chloe Zhao being a "persona-non-grata" for the CCP.

Business as usual, CCP censors just negotiating a bigger kickback from Disney while shielding by bullshit concerns

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Fu Manchu was public domain by now.

The first three pre-1923 books are now public domain but Sax Rohmer's estate trademarked the character

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Marvel lost the rights to Fu Manchu a long time ago, the comics also retconned his dad years ago (although they didn't use the Mandarin afaik)

Of course if anyone could have managed to buy the rights to Sax Rohmer's back catalogue it would have been Disney but I guess they weren't all that concerned

Why would they want one of their big MCU movies to feature Chinese Uncle Remus?

Though, bizarrely, I think I recall something where the general plots for the Fu Manchu books were the "heroes" trying to stop Fu Manchu from preventing/over-throwing world-wide white supremacy. So, Fu Manchu was kind of the actual hero of those books?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Everyone posted:

Not sure replacing anyone with beloved character "The Mandarin" resolves this issue.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Contrary to popular belief, the Mandarin gave himself that nickname because he really loves oranges. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Well this is ironic.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/marvel-shang-chi-eternals-china-release-1234971166/

Shang-Chi might have trouble screening in China due to using the "real" Mandarin as a villain. Meanwhile, Eternals sees a similar issue but because of Chloe Zhao being a "persona-non-grata" for the CCP.

Wouldn't hurt for at least one american mega-firm to burn their dependence on the CCP.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

They had to change it because they couldn't afford Nicholas Cage's likeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMiGIzoeBg

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Neo Rasa posted:

They had to change it because they couldn't afford Nicholas Cage's likeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMiGIzoeBg

The world didn’t deserve Grindhouse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone posted:

Though, bizarrely, I think I recall something where the general plots for the Fu Manchu books were the "heroes" trying to stop Fu Manchu from preventing/over-throwing world-wide white supremacy. So, Fu Manchu was kind of the actual hero of those books?

Yeah, the whole premise is at best Fu Manchu trying to retaliate against European colonialism, a few things (Planetary come to mind) have revisioned him (or an obvious counterpart) as a flat out heroic character.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

MiddleOne posted:

Wouldn't hurt for at least one american mega-firm to burn their dependence on the CCP.

They never will. The changes they have to make for the Chinese audience are small enough that it doesn't bother most Americans, they release a different cut, or they just straight up consult with Chinese film board officials while in production to make sure they get it right. Nobody is going to isolate themselves from the fastest growing and soon to be largest market.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the whole premise is at best Fu Manchu trying to retaliate against European colonialism, a few things (Planetary come to mind) have revisioned him (or an obvious counterpart) as a flat out heroic character.

So, Asian Killmonger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think there's something you could do with the Fu Manchu types of the world.

Ming the Merciless is a great example as well.

You could do something cool and good with them, but the MCU absolutely will not

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

So, Asian Killmonger.

This is Marvel so I expect "So, Asian Killmonger" to be an actual spoken line of dialogue in the movie.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grendels Dad posted:

So, Asian Killmonger.

Probably closer to Asian Professor Moriarty. Or, hell, just Professor Moriarty and/or the guy who taught Professor Morarity everything that Moriarty knew - but not everything Fu Manchu knew.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Everyone posted:

Probably closer to Asian Professor Moriarty. Or, hell, just Professor Moriarty and/or the guy who taught Professor Morarity everything that Moriarty knew - but not everything Fu Manchu knew.

Professor Moriarty was against European colonialosm?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grendels Dad posted:

Professor Moriarty was against European colonialism?

Possibly? Within the original stories, this is the sum total that Watson tells us he directly witnessed about Moriarty:

quote:

When I was near the bottom of the descent I looked back. It was impossible, from that position, to see the fall, but I could see the curving path which winds over the shoulder of the hill and leads to it. Along this a man was, I remember, walking very rapidly.

I could see his black figure clearly outlined against the green behind him. I noted him, and the energy with which he walked but he passed from my mind again as I hurried on upon my errand.

Everything else we "know" about Moriarty comes from Sherlock Holmes - most of it while Holmes sounds like he's tripping balls on cocaine.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

IIRC, they just changed his name, it's still the same dude.

Everyone posted:

When I read the books as a kid, Id efinitely liked Fu Manchu way more than "the heroes".

Eventually the racist author came to love his character so much he'd tell in interviews that a world run by Fu Manchu would be better than what we have now lol.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Moriarty is an Irish name, so I could see a re-imagining of him as an Irish nationalist. But then again the Irish were also over-represented in Britain's imperial military. Moriarty's number two is also Sebastian Moran, who is definitely an arch-imperialist adventurer (with another Irish last name). But then again Watson himself is also a veteran of Britain's imperial wars in Asia.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Moriarty is an Irish name, so I could see a re-imagining of him as an Irish nationalist. But then again the Irish were also over-represented in Britain's imperial military. Moriarty's number two is also Sebastian Moran, who is definitely an arch-imperialist adventurer (with another Irish last name). But then again Watson himself is also a veteran of Britain's imperial wars in Asia.

Sherlock Holmes' characters is basically stuffy British Magnum PI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And now I'm suddenly picturing an Artemis Fowl tie-in.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kind of a minor thing, but Zach Snyder said in an interview that he pitched a third 300 movie, a prequel Batfleck movie about the death of Robin, and an adaption of The Fountainhead to WB and all of them were rejected and dead. The Fountainhead is still listed as an upcoming project on his IMDB page, but he seemed to confirm it was dead because WB turned it down and he "thinks the country is too divided to make an adaptation of The Fountainhead at this time."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Also the 300 sequel was a love story between Alexander the Great and his bodyguard Haphaestion.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I kind of want the 300 series to continue just to see how far away they can get from the original 300 Spartans and what abstract concept they can attach the idea of "300" onto to keep the franchise.

300: Rise of an Empire was about a completely different city and the number 300 was not relevant at all.
300: Episode 3 would have taken place in a different country and 110 years after the original 300 had died.

300: Episode 7 will be about "300 guys" charging Omaha beach.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Frank Miller's actual 300 sequel comic includes Alexander the Great in the final issue. It's also surprisingly not bad, especially by the standards of post-9/11 Frank Miller.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I kind of want the 300 series to continue just to see how far away they can get from the original 300 Spartans and what abstract concept they can attach the idea of "300" onto to keep the franchise.

300: Rise of an Empire was about a completely different city and the number 300 was not relevant at all.
300: Episode 3 would have taken place in a different country and 110 years after the original 300 had died.

300: Episode 7 will be about "300 guys" charging Omaha beach.

By 2030 we'll have a 300 movie about the people who stormed the Capitol on January 6th.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Neo Rasa posted:

By 2030 we'll have a 300 movie about the people who stormed the Capitol on January 6th.

I think you'd find it's going to be called 232.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm still wondering if Rome was planning on keeping Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson for the planned 5th season that would have been about Christ, when the two main characters would be at least 90.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 18, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In 2035 I will imagine through nostalgia Gen Z will make...

300: 420 LOL

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm still wondering if Rome was planning on keeping Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson for the planned 5th season that would have been about Christ, when the two main characters would be at least 90.

Just have them in a balcony seat on the upper right corner of every shot Statler and Waldorfing every scene.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm writing reviews of all eight episodes of Amazon's Invincible series, starting at the end and working backwards. First one's up here and I'll be posting the second tomorrow.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

I'm writing reviews of all eight episodes of Amazon's Invincible series, starting at the end and working backwards. First one's up here and I'll be posting the second tomorrow.

lol at the end where you say you arent going to degrade yourself to reading the comic.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Man I remember trying to get into Walking Dead and Invincible like 10 years ago since Kirkman was all the rage and giving up about a volume into each since it's all just so incredibly hateful. None of it felt like it had any purpose other than being unrelentingly miserable.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Man I remember trying to get into Walking Dead and Invincible like 10 years ago since Kirkman was all the rage and giving up about a volume into each since it's all just so incredibly hateful. None of it felt like it had any purpose other than being unrelentingly miserable.

What if in the zombie apocalypse the real monster is... humanity?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Kirkman is really a garbage writer. A lot of people confuse the surprise of shock value for good writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's not even a fun or interesting kind of misanthropy a la William Friedkin. It just feels like abuse.