Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sometimes, things that used to be in lots of video games just start to disappear. for example, in a turn based RPG, in older games, you'd often whiff if you targeted a monster with two party members and the monster died before the second party member came up in the combat initiative. most of those things you probably don't miss, but some of 'em you might get nostalgic for.

i get why they don't do this anymore, but back in the day it used to be fun when character creation would involve answering questions about a series of weird moral dilemmas that feel like they were cribbed from a bad intro to ethics philosophy textbook:

the ultima games were the biggest example but the sweetroll meme comes from a similar thing they used in the first Elder Scrolls game. what are some tropes and mechanics you wish you could see again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cheat codes at the start screen

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
games not taking a billion dollars of sweatshop labor to make

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the only thing that's changed over the years is the dollar amount

JOHN CENA posted:

cheat codes at the start screen
cheat codes in general, really. let me noclip around and check out your cool environment art, pls

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Rail grinding sections in platformers.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bad Simpsons games coming out every year ripping off the current popular gaming trends. Imagine Simpsons Fortnite. Simpsons Among Us.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Kins posted:

cheat codes in general, really. let me noclip around and check out your cool environment art, pls

yeah! i really miss cheat codes, even the dumb ones for poo poo like big head mode

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Highly customizable multiplayer modes, I've always liked games that let you set up the conditions of a game and do crazy stuff, like in Time Splitters where you could set it up so that the more kills someone got the bigger and slower they'd get or something. With competitive online gaming being the main purpose of shooters these days you see way less of that in the name of balance. Sometimes it was fun to just make a one hit death game with your friends and arm everyone with bats and only bats

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

Highly customizable multiplayer modes, I've always liked games that let you set up the conditions of a game and do crazy stuff, like in Time Splitters where you could set it up so that the more kills someone got the bigger and slower they'd get or something. With competitive online gaming being the main purpose of shooters these days you see way less of that in the name of balance. Sometimes it was fun to just make a one hit death game with your friends and arm everyone with bats and only bats

I used to love logging into random servers in Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament and finding someone's dumbass instagib mod with altered physics. Multiplayer in the late 90s/early 2000s kicked rear end

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

getting to the end of the credits and just as you think it's over... it's the game thanking me personally for playing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cheat codes ftw

Games are starting to do it again but only being able to have two weapons at a time in a shooter is a scourge and sucks rear end. Let me have access to them all once I pick it up. Especially in games with upgrades

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

smash bros is still pretty good about this at least, they just don't let you do it if you're playing online.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I used to love logging into random servers in Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament and finding someone's dumbass instagib mod with altered physics. Multiplayer in the late 90s/early 2000s kicked rear end

i think i told this story before but my brother sucked poo poo at doom multiplayer and made his own wad with one level where he started right next to a hidden room with a switch that killed the lights, nvg, and a plasma gun. it only worked once and then the guy he would lan party with saw him enter the room and brutally murdered him whenever he went near it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

i think i told this story before but my brother sucked poo poo at doom multiplayer and made his own wad with one level where he started right next to a hidden room with a switch that killed the lights, nvg, and a plasma gun. it only worked once and then the guy he would lan party with saw him enter the room and brutally murdered him whenever he went near it

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The gaming equivalent of Mr. Burns using the snowmobile to get to the mountain cabin

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The gaming equivalent of Mr. Burns using the snowmobile to get to the mountain cabin

lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

simpsons fortnite/apex where everyone is assigned a random simpsons character would kick rear end. congratulations to champion squad scratchy, hugh jazz, and mr. burns much? just a thoughjt..

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

innovation

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Launching a game for the first time and going directly into gameplay rather than a tutorial

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

i get why they don't do this anymore, but back in the day it used to be fun when character creation would involve answering questions about a series of weird moral dilemmas that feel like they were cribbed from a bad intro to ethics philosophy textbook:

they were because lord british developed his moral system and self insert godhead alternate persona also called lord britih when he was like 16.

the ultima character creation was cool tho even tho by age 8 [same age i devoured descartes] i figured out that it was basically rigged and was a series of 8 choices you could easily game to get the best start [warrior obvs]

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i like this because computer programmers, artists, sony, microsoft, nintendo, etc employees deserve to suffer.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

sometimes, things that used to be in lots of video games just start to disappear. for example, in a turn based RPG, in older games, you'd often whiff if you targeted a monster with two party members and the monster died before the second party member came up in the combat initiative. most of those things you probably don't miss, but some of 'em you might get nostalgic for.

the ultima games were the biggest example but the sweetroll meme comes from a similar thing they used in the first Elder Scrolls game. what are some tropes and mechanics you wish you could see again?

I like the one in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines because the questions are all graphic tee slogans like "The world is a joke...I'm just here to laugh at it!" and "If someone gets in my way I'll kick their rear end!"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fungah! posted:

yeah! i really miss cheat codes, even the dumb ones for poo poo like big head mode
Cheat codes you unlock via hidden in-game secret items or completing challenges or whatever.

THPS1+2 was super disappointing in this regard for me because in the original, every skater that you completed career mode unlocked a new cheat in the cheats menu. Sometimes it was a QOL upgrade like different starting locations on the map, sometimes it was a whole new secret character, and sometimes it was just a dumb fun thing like making your skater 400lbs.

In the remake you only unlock like two cheat menu items and they're super lazy sepia filters on the graphics.

Another game with a memorable cheat menu is Beetle Adventure Racing. It was a very wide open arcade racer with spacious tracks and plenty of hidden paths and shortcuts, and in each level there were hidden bonus boxes that unlocked stuff like new cars, cosmetics, and a cheat menu.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 14, 2021

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It didn't fully disappear, Tyranny had that on the character creation and the choices you made actually would be brought up a lot in the game.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I miss games being complete and functional day one.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i miss being able to put a game into a console and play it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

tbf a lot of them were super glitchy and broken back in the day, there's a reason there are version numbers on roms

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i miss unlockable cheats and cheats in general. i wouldnt have played san andreas for 1/10th the time i did if it werent for flying cars & chaos

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tao of lmao posted:

you have to go back to the mid 90s for PC games for that lol - and hell its been since 2006 on so now 15 years for consoles

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bicyclops posted:

tbf a lot of them were super glitchy and broken back in the day, there's a reason there are version numbers on roms
the genesis sonic games rule but technically they're barely functional piles of junk. it's easier to fall through the ground in sonic 2 than in effing action 52.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

extremebuff posted:

i miss unlockable cheats and cheats in general. i wouldnt have played san andreas for 1/10th the time i did if it werent for flying cars & chaos

same.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, if there was a fatal bug in your game the only way you'd be getting a fix is by either a.) hoping there was a second printrun with a fix or b.) a mass product recall, which i think only happened like twice

That Little Demon posted:

you have to go back to the mid 90s for PC games for that lol
even in the 90s games needed patches. sin and myth 2 are the most notorious examples, but there are others - quake 2 didn't release with any dedicated mp maps, they patched them in!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the genesis sonic games rule but technically they're barely functional piles of junk. it's easier to fall through the ground in sonic 2 than in effing action 52.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

youve got extreme games energy and you need to cleanse yourself of it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sonic fans are truely sick people

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Watch out! That crafty Alduin has cast time magic on some of the quests. You may not be able to complete them unless you reload a previous save or access console commands (press ~ on your keyboard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Uh oh! Johnny Silverhand's chip can only hold so much data. If you purchased the console version, choom, you better be careful. Johnny can brick an old PlayStation 4 faster than Rogue can hack an Arasaka drone!