Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Casnorf posted:

Oh you poor sweet child.

I mean, I know capitalism can brand itself as progressive but eventually the mask comes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I mean, I know capitalism can brand itself as progressive but eventually the mask comes off.

That... is not what I meant. If you really think money-grubbing and progressive are mutually exclusive you're gonna get taken real hard by someone who believes the right things but is less worried about it applying to you. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also Catholicism is literally based on a forged document.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

quoting myself from 2 years ago re: current south park chat, back when goons were starting to raise more eyebrows at their material

hard counter posted:

i feel like it was not even 2 years ago that the forums were praising south park for being the only show that could still navigate modern issues with enough finesse to stay relevant but still cutting and satirical

i don't watch the show myself, just an observation of a... decline, maybe?

gonna quote this again in 2 years when parker and stone have to flee to south america from their bunker

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Byzantine posted:

Also Catholicism is literally based on a forged document.
The Pauline epistles or others?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

probably referring to the donation of constantine, in so far as that document asserts that the pope, in particular, is supreme

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

In the middle of the eighth century, as the Empire's grip on Italy weakened because of the Arab conquests, the Bishops of Rome decided to snuggle up to the Frankish kingdom instead. To justify this, the "Donation of Constantine" was created, a fake document supposedly written by Constantine the Great himself in 315 AD, before moving his capital to the east.

In it, 'Constantine' gives the entire Western Roman Empire to the Bishop of Rome, declares that the Bishops of Rome are the head of the Christian faith and superior to the other four holy cities of Antioch, Jerusalem, Alexandria and Constantinople despite Constantinople not having been founded yet in 315, and surrenders all imperial power over the church by giving pope Sylvester his ('Constantine's') own crown, scepter, robes, and palace.

While the original intent was to convince the Frankish King to give what would later be called the Papal States to the Bishop of Rome, the document was later used to justify (among other things) crowning the Holy Roman Emperors, and the Popes' absolute authority over christendom that characterized the medieval period. In 1054, part of what finally caused the Great Schism between Western and Eastern Christianity was the Pope demanding that the east submit to the authority that 'Constantine' had given him.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you think about it, religion is a meme. Jesus was the Cheems of his time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Byzantine posted:

In the middle of the eighth century, as the Empire's grip on Italy weakened because of the Arab conquests, the Bishops of Rome decided to snuggle up to the Frankish kingdom instead. To justify this, the "Donation of Constantine" was created, a fake document supposedly written by Constantine the Great himself in 315 AD, before moving his capital to the east.

In it, 'Constantine' gives the entire Western Roman Empire to the Bishop of Rome, declares that the Bishops of Rome are the head of the Christian faith and superior to the other four holy cities of Antioch, Jerusalem, Alexandria and Constantinople despite Constantinople not having been founded yet in 315, and surrenders all imperial power over the church by giving pope Sylvester his ('Constantine's') own crown, scepter, robes, and palace.

While the original intent was to convince the Frankish King to give what would later be called the Papal States to the Bishop of Rome, the document was later used to justify (among other things) crowning the Holy Roman Emperors, and the Popes' absolute authority over christendom that characterized the medieval period. In 1054, part of what finally caused the Great Schism between Western and Eastern Christianity was the Pope demanding that the east submit to the authority that 'Constantine' had given him.

To be fair to Catholics, this, while it is something they use to bolster their claims of supremacy, is not the basis for papal supremacy. That comes from the Bible where Christ says "Upon this rock I will build my church." The name Peter is based off of the greek word for rock. Peter is by tradition the first bishop of Rome, so that is where they take their authority from. The donation of Constantine is more of a supporting document that recognized those arguments.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not surprised that Byzantine would give a biased view on the subject

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Casnorf posted:

That... is not what I meant. If you really think money-grubbing and progressive are mutually exclusive you're gonna get taken real hard by someone who believes the right things but is less worried about it applying to you. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Being progressive and saying progressive things are extremely different things though. Who would you point out as an example of a money-grubbing progressive?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like imagine if a British show did a bit about Mexicans having no souls and it's the same general vibe.

You mean Top Gear?

I'm not even going to link the clip. People can find it themselves if they want.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Being progressive and saying progressive things are extremely different things though. Who would you point out as an example of a money-grubbing progressive?

If I were to float an example off the top of my head, for example, a game store owner who promotes inclusivity and rejects gatekeeping but pays his employees sub-poverty wages in a major east coast city and paid fifteen hundred bucks for a collection assessed at fourteen grand when even offering two thousand woulda looked just slightly less lovely. You know, if I were to make up some random example of a progressive person who'll still take advantage of you because he can.

I'm just saying they're different scales, and equating your position on both is gonna get you exploited, that's all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Asterite34 posted:

Man, why can't these scam scifi cults ever preach nice progressive things along with all the money-grubbing and indoctrination? It's always old-timey racism and repression and pedophilia.

Like yeah, our prophet is a space dinosaur who fled the asteroid (actually the wrath of Satan) on a spaceship to another planet and now he's back and wants your life savings, also it's okay to be gay and all cultures are valid

Some actually do, and it doesn't really make it better. Jim Jones and Fred Phelps were both actively anti-racist, if only because that got attention.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

christmas boots posted:

Not surprised that Byzantine would give a biased view on the subject

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some actually do, and it doesn't really make it better. Jim Jones and Fred Phelps were both actively anti-racist, if only because that got attention.

I think you're confusing "doing one progressive thing" with "being progressive". Regardless of how hard you support oppressed group A, if you poo poo all over oppressed group B in the process then at best you missed the point, at worst you cynically shifted the target of your hatred to whatever was most convenient for you.

c.f. all the rich, gay celebrities who are now enthusiastically pulling up the ladder that trans people laid for them in the 1980s.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, it got Jones a lot of enthusiastic Black parishioners! They loved him. Shows you there was kind of a missed opportunity there for non-murdering white preachers.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

90s entertainment pretended racism and sexism were over while also revelling in awful poo poo and broke a lot of brains.

This reminds me for some reason of one of the absolute most "WTF were they thinking" gags in Pinky and the Brain of all things: in one ep Brain gets a job at an insurance company and gets handed a phonebook sized handbook on sexual harassment (yes, they actually used that term in a kids cartoon) by his manager who says "you should be fine as long as you avoid contact with humans". Imagine trying to pull this poo poo now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Then somehow in the reboot things got SERIOUSLY dark when Brain created an ideal first lady (known as Julia) to run alongside his presidential campaign, a mouse with a bunch of dna of strong female politicians designed to be a crowd pleaser. The complication came when she became more popular than him, started trying to break away from him because she was genuinely likeable and personable because she was built to be (in contrast to Brain's psychopathic tendencies making his mask slip too easily and putting people off him as a person) and when she tried to completely cut him out because he was weighing HER down, he activated an obedience chip to force her back into line. When she tries to fight the chip during her debate, the effort fries the chip but also fries her brain completely, driving her to become still brilliant, her intellect is still there, but she's also gone totally feral, losing her mind entirely and basically developing an obsession with getting revenge on Brain. The episode ends with it's usual outro ("Why Brain, what are we going to do tomorrow night?" etc) but this time it cuts to her in a makeshift lab of her own under a disguised entrance in a log, watching them on a CCTV monitor.

A lot of people are hoping she'll be a recurring character, because my god that episode was a ride.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...there was a P&B reboot?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Part of the Animaniacs reboot on Hulu

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Quagmire's dad is a woman and I am NOT watching like 17? or whatever seasons of loving Family Guy to see how that holds up.

Also the Bible, Koran, etc. are media that did not age well. I am currently working on a modern religious manual people can follow. I have a LOT to say about robots.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Part of the Animaniacs reboot on Hulu

The whole reboot was surprisingly good.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Desert Bus posted:

Also the Bible, Koran, etc. are media that did not age well. I am currently working on a modern religious manual people can follow. I have a LOT to say about robots.

I am interested in your automaton church, and willing to move to the desert if you can provide at least one dunebuggy.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I am interested in your automaton church, and willing to move to the desert if you can provide at least one dunebuggy.

I can do the Great Lakes region and copious amounts of drugs??? lmk

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Desert Bus posted:

I don't believe in Primus or Unicron, and the Quintesson hypothesis is ludicrous. Those five-faced clowns couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag. Cybertronians evolved from naturally occurring gears and springs.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Phy posted:

I don't believe in Primus or Unicron, and the Quintesson hypothesis is ludicrous. Those five-faced clowns couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag. Cybertronians evolved from naturally occurring gears and springs.

I think you're Wrung.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

I can do the Great Lakes region and copious amounts of drugs??? lmk

PM me your compound’s address.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phy posted:

Basically the plot of the Futurama episode "A Clockwork Origin." Although in this case the Professor DID create the first nanobots, then they evolved and refused to believe they possibly could have been "intelligently designed" and insist they evolved naturally.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

This reminds me for some reason of one of the absolute most "WTF were they thinking" gags in Pinky and the Brain of all things: in one ep Brain gets a job at an insurance company and gets handed a phonebook sized handbook on sexual harassment (yes, they actually used that term in a kids cartoon) by his manager who says "you should be fine as long as you avoid contact with humans". Imagine trying to pull this poo poo now.

I'm pretty sure that Brain ends up failing in that episode because he accidentally sexually harasses a woman.

Desert Bus posted:

Quagmire's dad is a woman and I am NOT watching like 17? or whatever seasons of loving Family Guy to see how that holds up.

I haven't seen the episodes but I know from a youtube video on transphobia that Brian has sex with her and then spends several minutes vomiting.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Also the Bible, Koran, etc. are media that did not age well.

And the reboots aged even quicker.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

The whole reboot was surprisingly good.

It was fine, but it really cast a spotlight on how important the wider cast was to Animaniacs. Everything about each individual sketch is on point, but the lack of diversity gets old fast. And then out of nowhere they take a giant poo poo on Chicken Boo + the rest of the supporting cast and it's like "ok but why though?"

I'm not saying they needed to drag out the Goodfeathers or that getting Sheri Stoner back for Slappy Squirrel is a small ask but having stuff like Minerva Mink, Mindy and Buttons, Rita and Runt, etc. would have gone a really long way and coming up with original characters couldn't be that hard when you have that level of talent on-hand.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BooDooBoo posted:

I think you're Wrung.

No, that's whatsisname, Rong.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mind the walrus posted:

It was fine, but it really cast a spotlight on how important the wider cast was to Animaniacs. Everything about each individual sketch is on point, but the lack of diversity gets old fast. And then out of nowhere they take a giant poo poo on Chicken Boo + the rest of the supporting cast and it's like "ok but why though?"

I'm not saying they needed to drag out the Goodfeathers or that getting Sheri Stoner back for Slappy Squirrel is a small ask but having stuff like Minerva Mink, Mindy and Buttons, Rita and Runt, etc. would have gone a really long way and coming up with original characters couldn't be that hard when you have that level of talent on-hand.

I won't stand for this erasure of the incredible gnome that lives in peoples' mouths.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Rockman Reserve posted:

I won't stand for this erasure of the incredible gnome that lives in peoples' mouths.

I can't believe you guys forgot to mention Candlejack he was-

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
He was from Freakazoid. <:mad:>

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was some weird stuff going on with Jim Jones

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chicken Boo is my favorite gag from the old show and the revival killed the joke.

But overall the revival is pretty good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVDyCpBjjRs

"The scariest thing in the world would be if all the air in the world turned to wood!"

e;
this has aged very well cause that is even scarier now to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
“I’m gonna need more rope!”