Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Speaking of pcie4, I got a 2070s on an asrock x570 taichi, a 5900x. So, pcie4.

gpuz says the gpu is running on pcie3

I just assumed that was what it should be, because the gpu doesn't actually use pcie4, but is that true? Is this all how it should be? I remember some article or something a bit ago that talked about minor performance improvements in some situations running a gpu on pcie4 even if it doesn't need it, but maybe that was just the 30 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BrainDance posted:

I just assumed that was what it should be, because the gpu doesn't actually use pcie4, but is that true? Is this all how it should be? I remember some article or something a bit ago that talked about minor performance improvements in some situations running a gpu on pcie4 even if it doesn't need it, but maybe that was just the 30 series.

think the only GPUs that use pci4 are the 30 series

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello again thread. Do GPUs exist again yet? I just want a Founders Edition 3060/3080.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Thanks, I'll check back again in 8 months.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe whenever crypto crashes

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrainDance posted:

2070s can only run on PCIe 3.0, hence the 3.0. Expected.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
hey, y'all. Wanna tell you all a cautionary tale that is entirely my fault in this case. Feel like I can remain somewhat anonymous here, so I figured I'd get this off my chest. Without further ado: ✨*~What Happens When You Don't Do Sanity Checks or Listen to The Advice In The Thread Before You Build~*

So I got myself the "SA Penny-Pincher" virgin-box that was recommended in a previous iteration of this thread. Got myself an Inspiron 3847 with an i3 4150 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB HDD. Threw in an aftermarket GTX 750 1GB along with an SSD and called it a day. Back then I didn't care about the high-end of :pcgaming:, and to this day I honestly still don't (poo poo, I'm still running a 1440x900 monitor). Well, that was in 2015. It's 2021 now, and I needed an upgrade considering that I want to play a few of the new games coming out. A friend of mine was really itching to build me a PC, but they were urging me to buy almost strictly used hardware from past generations. I was hesitant at first because I figured it didn't make sense but I felt hella pressured by my friend and others since it "was the opportunity of a lifetime" due to the fact that they would do the assembly themselves without having it cost me anything. It seemed like nobody would shut up if I didn't go for it. I honestly was getting tired of my current Inspiron setup for a hot minute and it seemed like a sweet deal at first so I decided to take my friend up on their offer

So as a result, I now have a "new" PC with a used Ryzen 5 2600, and even though it's an older Ryzen 5 model, at the same time I don't really do anything CPU-intensive whatsoever to justify having a Ryzen 5. Got that along with a GTX 960 since I was aiming for a 1050ti but scalpers. Feels like it's not really a step up from what I have now considering the GTX 750 was released over seven years ago and the 960 six, though my friend stated that the 960 is "comparable to a 1050" but I'm not sure. I guess on the other hand, I realistically wasn't planning to do much with a new setup anyway. I would've been happy playing games made within the last three years at 900p resolution at 40-ish FPS on medium settings. And aside from that, just general dicking around (web-surfing, watching YouTube, Discord) plus playing with emulation from time to time. So maybe a setup like this wouldn't be bad for what I use a computer for? I dunno

tl;dr I spent $700 on a PC using older parts from eBay that I wouldn't have chosen due to pressure from a friend of mine without using this thread as a guide and I'm now kind of regretting it. Means I'm due for an upgrade sooner than most – probably two years if I were to guess – but hey. You learn from your mistakes
:negative:

Hiraeth fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 14, 2021

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
That sucks man, although waiting 2-3 years might be the stopgap you need until you can get a modern GPU without needing to service a Micro Center employee in the stockroom.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A 2600 isn't going to hold you back at 60fps so as long as it was a reasonable price I wouldn't feel too put out about it. A 960 ain't great, but with literally everything being scalped you were screwed on that front from the outset.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

What was your top budget? $700 seems like a lot for those specific used parts.

I’m sorry you have dumb friends.

A 2600 is generally ok for what you want at least. Also I don’t even know if all current games will run all the way down to 900p.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What was your top budget? $700 seems like a lot for those specific used parts.

I’m sorry you have dumb friends.

A 2600 is generally ok for what you want at least. Also I don’t even know if all current games will run all the way down to 900p.

The fact that I didn't admit that I'm in Canada where everything is more 'spenzive is my bad. Didn't feel like the RAM and MOBO (both also purchased used), PSU, and case was significant enough to have a first-world-problemsey fit about. Not including taxes/shipping in this $700 budget, either. And yeah, maybe I won't be able to run unoptimized stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, but stuff like that I wasn't even really considering to begin with

Hiraeth fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 14, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hiraeth posted:

The fact that I didn't admit that I'm in Canada where everything is more 'spenzive is my bad. Didn't feel like mentioning the RAM and MOBO (both also purchased used) PSU, and case were significant enough to have a first-world-problemsey fit about Not including taxes in that estimate, either. And yeah, maybe I won't be able to run unoptimized stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, but stuff like that I wasn't even really considering to begin with

Wait, are you saying you spend $700 (even in funny money) on a 2600 and a 960?

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

Wait, are you saying you spend $700 (even in funny money) on a 2600 and a 960?

n'aw, that was just an example of an idiot misspeaking. Just meant that I never mentioned the rest of the components that weren't the GPU and CPU in my original post to begin with since I felt more confident with those purchases – even though bringing that up in the first place seemed pretty arbitrary now that I look at it

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Alrighty so I'm not gonna even bother looking at video cards because none exist in the universe and I'm not -quite- desperate enough to sell the soul of my future firstborn to get one just yet (and I'm sitting on a GTX 1060 at the moment anyways which is plenty functional for the time being) but my CPU is getting decidedly quite ancient (4670k) so I think this is a decent time for an upgrade. My quick question is what motherboard would be best for a 5600x, which I think is the processor I've settled upon? I don't know very much about motherboards at present, or about RAM speeds for that matter. (DDR4-3600 seems to be a number that pops up a lot and doesn't seem terribly expensive to get 16 gigs of, should I just go with that?) It's a full tower case (Although I cannot remember for the life of me what it's called offhand), so pretty much any size board would probably fit.

For that matter how important would a non-stock cooler be? Also sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure if this should go here or the AMD thread but this seems to be the thread for discussing actual upgrades and purchases.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Hiraeth posted:

So as a result, I now have a "new" PC with a used Ryzen 5 2600, and even though it's an older Ryzen 5 model, at the same time I don't really do anything CPU-intensive whatsoever to justify having a Ryzen 5. Got that along with a GTX 960 since I was aiming for a 1050ti but scalpers. Feels like it's not really a step up from what I have now considering the GTX 750 was released over seven years ago and the 960 six, though my friend stated that the 960 is "comparable to a 1050" but I'm not sure. I guess on the other hand, I realistically wasn't planning to do much with a new setup anyway. I would've been happy playing games made within the last three years at 900p resolution at 40-ish FPS on medium settings. And aside from that, just general dicking around (web-surfing, watching YouTube, Discord) plus playing with emulation from time to time. So maybe a setup like this wouldn't be bad for what I use a computer for? I dunno

tl;dr I spent $700 on a PC using older parts from eBay that I wouldn't have chosen due to pressure from a friend of mine without using this thread as a guide and I'm now kind of regretting it. Means I'm due for an upgrade sooner than most – probably two years if I were to guess – but hey. You learn from your mistakes
:negative:

If that's $700 CAD and includes the rest of the PC, that honestly sounds more or less okay. Like sure, it's a bit much to have paid for it and a 960 isn't the same as a 1050 Ti, but it is comparable (one generation vs. one price tier) and you would have gotten screwed on GPU prices buying anything right now. Oughta be fine for a year or two, and then you can just swap out the GPU instead of buying a whole new (overpriced, used, last-generation) PC. :shobon:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Inverted Sphere posted:

Alrighty so I'm not gonna even bother looking at video cards because none exist in the universe and I'm not -quite- desperate enough to sell the soul of my future firstborn to get one just yet (and I'm sitting on a GTX 1060 at the moment anyways which is plenty functional for the time being) but my CPU is getting decidedly quite ancient (4670k) so I think this is a decent time for an upgrade. My quick question is what motherboard would be best for a 5600x, which I think is the processor I've settled upon? I don't know very much about motherboards at present, or about RAM speeds for that matter. (DDR4-3600 seems to be a number that pops up a lot and doesn't seem terribly expensive to get 16 gigs of, should I just go with that?) It's a full tower case (Although I cannot remember for the life of me what it's called offhand), so pretty much any size board would probably fit.

For that matter how important would a non-stock cooler be? Also sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure if this should go here or the AMD thread but this seems to be the thread for discussing actual upgrades and purchases.
So a B550 mobo is the sweet spot right now. I have an MSI B550M Bazooka board for my 5600x. 16 GB of RAM is pretty much the standard unless you really need the extra RAM for a specific task (not just gaming).

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($375.27 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Western Digital)
Case: Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 HTPC Case ($149.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA GS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Custom: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99)
Total: $1065.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-14 20:56 EDT-0400

My current setup. Since upgrading the video card is pointless at this point (and the 1070 serves my needs for now), I've decided to finally update the Processor/motherboard/ram since those are the original parts from when I first built this thing back in 2014.

Thinking of a RYZEN 5600x as that seems to be a sweet spot in price per performance. I know nothing about Motherboards or coolers for the ryzen processors so any help there will be appreciated. I will also be upgrading the case to the Silverstone GD09B as this case has a bit more room than my current case, looks good in an entertainment center, and my current case has a non-working front usb port due to a broken pin on the connector. I'm also thinking about getting an m2 drive to replace the samsung evo.

I generally just do high end game emulation although do occasionally play modern games through steam.

You all have been phenomenal in helping me out in the past and this thread has been a lifesaver in my upgrades.

Also budget is flexible as I'll be buying these parts over the next few weeks.

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 15, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Why would you pay 375 for a 10 year old mid level processor?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

LifeSunDeath posted:

Why would you pay 375 for a 10 year old mid level processor?

That's my current setup

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Kithyen posted:

That's my current setup

Oh ok.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

MonkeyFit posted:

I got a 5800x because they had it in stock at Micro Center. Honestly a 5600 would probably have done me fine. So if you find one in stock (I don't think they're usually too hard to find) that's probably a good choice for you.

TBH, if you're going for a budget build and depending on what resolution you play games at, a 3600 is still a better value for a lot of people. When you look at the other viable 6 core CPU options that are out there, the price of the 5600x isn't cheap.

mA fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 15, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mA posted:

TBH, if you're going for a budget build and depending on what resolution you play games at, a 3600 is still a better value for a lot of people. When you look at the other viable 6 core CPU options that are out there, the price of the 5600x isn't cheap.

If you’re going to 3600 level pricing, 11400 is a better deal in almost all instances.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Building my first PC since 2012 and want to make sure everything looks okay. Trying to spend ~$1k and going to use it mostly for gaming and maybe some light simulation stuff for school. Already have a 3070 and got a 5900X from a friend but looking for anymore input.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tz7Zy4
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($192.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($175.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1029.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-15 13:07 EDT-0400

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

ChumpsForChange posted:

Building my first PC since 2012 and want to make sure everything looks okay. Trying to spend ~$1k and going to use it mostly for gaming and maybe some light simulation stuff for school. Already have a 3070 and got a 5900X from a friend but looking for anymore input.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($192.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($175.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)

If you can do without RGB, look into the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 AIO. It's much cheaper and provides better cooling performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaSEGe6ML0&t=11s

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

ChumpsForChange posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Looks solid! Only suggestions I have:

Consider getting the B550 version of that motherboard. They are a bit nicer for most people’s purposes. Most notably, you don’t have to deal with having a chipset fan, you get bios flashback support, and you save a bit of money.

If you can find 3600 CL16 memory for close to the same price point, go for it. The memory you currently have will be fine otherwise.

You can save some money going for a WD blue NVMe drive and not pay the premium for the Samsung EVO brand name

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ChumpsForChange posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Above is good advice.

Additionally, $/TB is pretty bad on that drive. If you think you’ll need more space in the future, it’s probably worth it to splurge now for like a 4/6/8/10/12, depending on your budget. Nearly $30/TB isn’t very good.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

32GB of 3600 CL16 for only a bit more.
https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32...-174-_-05152021

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

It doesn't seem like I can evade upgrading my components any longer, and while I refuse to get a GPU with the current supply situation, I do need to get a new CPU and some RAM. I also need a new motherboard because my current motherboard is ancient. I haven't bought these types of components in like 10 years so it'd be nice if someone could give my shopping list a quick gut check

MSI Z590-A PRO
i5-11600K
Kingston 8GB DDR4 3200MHz (x 2)

Here's how they'd sit in my build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZxzG4d

This is my work/gamer PC that I use to hit build in visual studio and shoot at people in video games sometimes

I'd be getting them in a bundle for €569 (euro prices), with presumably 40 or 65 euros back from an MSI cashback scheme. I do intend to overclock the CPU a bit as well, and I'm wondering if my current Hyper 212 can handle that. PC part picker is saying that my PSU doesn't have an additional 4 pin connector, which would supposedly be used for extreme overclocking, but I assume I won't need that

I could also get a Ryzen 5600X for the CPU, but it seems to be more expensive and the stock is a little iffy, so I'm not sure there's any reason to go for it

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 16, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Minorkos posted:

It doesn't seem like I can evade upgrading my components any longer, and while I refuse to get a GPU with the current supply situation, I do need to get a new CPU and some RAM. I also need a new motherboard because my current motherboard is ancient. I haven't bought these types of components in like 10 years so it'd be nice if someone could give my shopping list a quick gut check

MSI Z590-A PRO
i5-11600K
Kingston 8GB DDR4 3200MHz (x 2)

Here's how they'd sit in my build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZxzG4d

This is my work/gamer PC that I use to hit build in visual studio and shoot at people in video games sometimes

I'd be getting them in a bundle for €569 (euro prices), with presumably 40 or 65 euros back from an MSI cashback scheme. I do intend to overclock the CPU a bit as well, and I'm wondering if my current Hyper 212 can handle that. PC part picker is saying that my PSU doesn't have an additional 4 pin connector, which would supposedly be used for extreme overclocking, but I assume I won't need that

I could also get a Ryzen 5600X for the CPU, but it seems to be more expensive and the stock is a little iffy, so I'm not sure there's any reason to go for it

How much more? Also consider the cost of a motherboard as they tend to be cheaper for AMD.

The 5600X is pretty much better in nearly all situations, so without a direct price comparison it’s kind of difficult.

212 is fine, but if you’re going to OC you’ll need something better.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

How much more? Also consider the cost of a motherboard as they tend to be cheaper for AMD.

The 5600X is pretty much better in nearly all situations, so without a direct price comparison it’s kind of difficult.

Oh, I quickly checked some benchmark that indicated that the Intel CPU would actually be better. Anyway, assuming stock doesn't disappear, a quick scan indicates that I'd be paying around 40 more euros and no MSI cashback shenanigans (that I'm admittedly not exactly excited for anyway). I don't really mind paying a bit of extra if it means I'll be getting something decently better. I'm a little curious as to how an AMD CPU would change the overclocking situation though, since supposedly those don't really need to be overclocked to reach similar performance

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 16, 2021

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Granted, it was years ago, and possibly an isolated anecdotal experience - I had a couple of Ballistix DDR2 units go bad, even though they never got overclocked or stressed...I remember RMA was a royal pain and kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Has Crucial's reliability with Ballistix DDR4 units gotten better since then?

Apologies for any derails.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Minorkos posted:

Oh, I quickly checked some benchmark that indicated that the Intel CPU would actually be better. Anyway, assuming stock doesn't disappear, a quick scan indicates that I'd be paying around 40 more euros and no MSI cashback shenanigans (that I'm admittedly not exactly excited for anyway). I don't really mind paying a bit of extra if it means I'll be getting something decently better. I'm a little curious as to how an AMD CPU would change the overclocking situation though, since supposedly those don't really need to be overclocked to reach similar performance

If it was userbenchmark don’t go near that site with a lovely stick. They have an absurd bias against AMD and bend over backwards to create extremely arbitrary and fake metrics to favour Intel CPUs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mA posted:

If you can do without RGB, look into the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 AIO. It's much cheaper and provides better cooling performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaSEGe6ML0&t=11s

Be sure to measure though, it’s thicker than most and wouldn’t fit with my case/motherboard combo.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

I mean it’s a pretty large price difference, so I don’t think you can hand waive that away when factoring a 6 core purchasing decision

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'll probably end up getting the 5600X if not for anything else, then the lower power requirements to fit with my PSU (and so I don't have to pay as much for electricity)

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Killer_B posted:

Granted, it was years ago, and possibly an isolated anecdotal experience - I had a couple of Ballistix DDR2 units go bad, even though they never got overclocked or stressed...I remember RMA was a royal pain and kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Has Crucial's reliability with Ballistix DDR4 units gotten better since then?

Apologies for any derails.

No clue. I'm personally running 32GB of 3600 G.Skill Trident Z. I was just matching the RAM they had in their PC Part Picker build with 3600 vice 3200.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mA posted:

I mean it’s a pretty large price difference, so I don’t think you can hand waive that away when factoring a 6 core purchasing decision

I wouldn’t say I was hand waving anything.

IMO 40 euro + not having to deal with rebates is 100% worth it for a 5600x over an 11600

pumpie2
Nov 17, 2009
I have just read through the op as I last built (my first ever) pc using a previous iteration of this thread back in 2014 and I have forgotten almost everything.
I request the wisdom of the goons to tell me if this build is okay as I do feel like I need a update. I'm planning on keeping the Samsung evo ssd I currently have and external/ internal HDD too.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (£229.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste (£5.77 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£99.98 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£84.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card (£820.33 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£59.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
Total: £1376.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-16 21:47 BST+0100

I do a fair amount of gaming but it's mostly city management/the Sims with all expansions etc so I don't need top of the line stuff. My sister also works from home sometimes but remote's into her work desktop.
Is there anything I am missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

pumpie2 posted:

I do a fair amount of gaming but it's mostly city management/the Sims with all expansions etc so I don't need top of the line stuff. My sister also works from home sometimes but remote's into her work desktop.
Is there anything I am missing here?

Yeah. Don’t buy that GPU for £800. Also with your use case you might be better getting the Intel 11400 and using the integrated graphics until you can actually buy a midrange card for a reasonable price (£400>).