Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I have a 32" 1440p 165Hz VA display now.

So will there be coming "the same, but on 4K" versions anytime soon?

I understand that displayport bandwidth is at least one problem with those 4K displays. I guess that issue is still not fixed in latest 3000 series?

It's a limitation of DisplayPort 1.4 (4k120 is the highest you can go without any compression), though the 3000 series supports display stream compression which will let you to get to 4k144 with basically zero loss visually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Sorta want to grab a 27GN950 just to do 1080P fullscreen integer scaling... I think I've caught brainworms please send help

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Ihmemies posted:

I have a 32" 1440p 165Hz VA display now.

So will there be coming "the same, but on 4K" versions anytime soon?

I understand that displayport bandwidth is at least one problem with those 4K displays. I guess that issue is still not fixed in latest 3000 series?

Not ultrawide, right? If you're OK with IPS, then this is your year

Nomyth posted:

Looks like this got missed, so I'll field this one:
There are a bunch of them coming out this year, and this TFT Central article is worth a read to get an idea of some of the models on the way: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/when-will-the-first-32-sized-monitors-arrive-with-4k-and-high-refresh-rate-the-race-is-on/

By the way, Asus has not one, but three different monitors in that spec coming out

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Nomyth posted:

I was very excited about this until I saw the prices.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

TheFluff posted:

Work saw fit to provide me with a new iPhone 12, so now I have my first very own OLED screen. It... kinda sucks? Like, it has more PPI than my old iPhone 8 but it's not noticeably sharper. I suppose the contrast is better but I don't notice that very much. What I do notice though is a very obvious and unpleasant color shifting effect that appears as soon as you look at the screen even slightly off axis. It's not like the contrast loss on old TN garbage, instead there's a pronounced hue shift, mostly towards blue. Are all OLED's like this or is this just an Apple thing?

It's funny because a research project I'm working on facilitated me getting an xps 15 with the 4k OLED panel and now I'm a crackhead fiending for that level of black on every other screen I own.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Hey, what do you fellas mainly watch with your monitors? I like to look at some webforums and sometimes go online shopping.

Still trying to online shop on my rectangle monitor for a square monitor. No luck so far.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Mofabio posted:

Hey, what do you fellas mainly watch with your monitors? I like to look at some webforums and sometimes go online shopping.

Still trying to online shop on my rectangle monitor for a square monitor. No luck so far.

Get two 16:9 monitors with tiny frames and set them up side by side vertically and wow! A big 18:16 monitor. You are welcome

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

pyrotek posted:

Get two 16:9 monitors with tiny frames and set them up side by side vertically and wow! A big 18:16 monitor. You are welcome

I have this setup on one machine that just looks at a bunch of vms in a window. I got two dell 22" IPS 1920x1080 monitors and put them next to each other sideways (I think they were $150 from the outlet on sale together), so it's basically a 2160x1920 monitor with a couple of bezels down the middle. It's fine for my use case but hard to recommend for anyone who isn't just keeping an eye on stuff that's mostly static or that lets you drag windows around to make the split barely noticeable.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nomyth posted:

I don't like ultrawides too much. They're usually too small and cause extra problems with games.

Well one option is those 38" 3840x1600 panels but they are all IPS with bad contrast.

For some reason I like my VA panel a lot more than my old 2560x1600 IPS :shrug:

Dunno what the main selling point of IPS displays are, faster pixel response and good color? But pricey and very poor contrast.

VA displays have so much more pop. The image is more impressive to look at.

Based on your reply I guess all the 4k high hz displays will be IPS only. Well, I can wait.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Newer VA panels are pretty good.

Are you comparing a new display to soma ancient 30" dell? If so, yeah, duh, the new one will most likely be better :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

Newer VA panels are pretty good.

Are you comparing a new display to soma ancient 30" dell? If so, yeah, duh, the new one will most likely be better :v:

Yes. Well what is wrong with the ancient 30" 2560x1600 IPS displays? The only downsides were low contrast and 60Hz, and new gaming IPS displays have even lower contrast...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

Yes. Well what is wrong with the ancient 30" 2560x1600 IPS displays? The only downsides were low contrast and 60Hz, and new gaming IPS displays have even lower contrast...

i'd probably still be using mine if it didn't die in late 2019 after working several hours a day for over 10 years :(

still waiting for any decent 32-34" 4k@120 solution lol

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Truga posted:

i'd probably still be using mine if it didn't die in late 2019 after working several hours a day for over 10 years :(

still waiting for any decent 32-34" 4k@120 solution lol

At this point the LG will push out smaller 4k120hz GSYNC oled tv's faster than actual display manufacturers will produce decent 32-34" 4k panels.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Beyond old age and older LCD technology - nothing? Older displays with CCFL backlights don't age well, but you don't really notice until you have a new monitor next to it :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah CCFLs go yellow with age, but re-calibrating your monitor can fix that to quite a good degree i found

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

At this point the LG will push out smaller 4k120hz GSYNC oled tv's faster than actual display manufacturers will produce decent 32-34" 4k panels.

I'm extremely happy with my 55" OLED. I would have gotten a smaller size, but those were actually more expensive than the 55".

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They are supposed to release a 42" 4K 120Hz Gsync? oled TV this year. 48" is too big but 42" should be okay for my desktop. It will probably be not as easy to use as a regular monitor, and OLED panels require more frequent calibraton I guess it the different colored OLED thingys age at different pace. I have an i1 display Pro so that shouldn't be a bid deal. Burn-in might be a problem, might not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Wibla posted:

Beyond old age and older LCD technology - nothing? Older displays with CCFL backlights don't age well, but you don't really notice until you have a new monitor next to it :v:
I had my old CCFL displays going at 100% brightness, and was blinded by my new ones that were set to 30% from factory. :shobon:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've got a mate with an old U3014 and the whites look kinda like piss now. It's something your eyes adjust to though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mofabio posted:

I have 2x 1680x1050 20" displays mounted above a 2560x1440 34". The main display carries whatever I'm actively paying attention to, the upper left is where I put Slack, work email, and other work-related stuff I passively monitor. Upper right is for Discord, Hangouts, personal email, etc. in the same way, plus maybe a Youtube video or Twitch stream.

I want to upgrade my upper monitors but good 20" monitors aren't exactly common these days and I don't know if my mounting setup has room for 24" or larger unless they have really badly offset VESA holes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

wolrah posted:

I want to upgrade my upper monitors but good 20" monitors aren't exactly common these days and I don't know if my mounting setup has room for 24" or larger unless they have really badly offset VESA holes.

Have you considered upgrading your mounting setup? I got monitor stand with support for quad 27" for 50€.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Quick question: I'm running a GTX 1070 with a 27" monitor, any foreseeable problems if I add a 32" as my main and use the 27 as a secondary? The setup is for general use/gaming/music production.

Recommendations for a suitable monitor would be great as well if that size is doable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

K8.0 posted:

Search 4k IPS on Amazon. There are tons of 27" 4k IPS monitors and many of them are good values. Just buy whatever has the features you want + good reviews.

High refresh 4k has really one decent option right now - the LG 27GN950 or 27GP950. There will probably be more later this year, but who knows how many will be good, and none of them will likely be good + cheap.

How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZSGR5TM/

All I'm concerned with is getting 4K, 60 Hz, 27" at a decent price, don't give a poo poo about VESA mounting or counting gibbets or particles in Call of Duty or any poo poo like that, just wanna maybe also run a few retro emulator games and that's that. Does this seem like one of the good values?

Edit: or this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087GS7188/

Edit 2: https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UN850-W-DisplayHDR-Borderless-Adjustable/dp/B08CVTTNN4/ Think this one was mentioned a few messages ago.. highest $ my lovely budget will allow

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 17, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
For your purposes all of them should be fine. Obviously as you go up the stack you're going to see things like better stands with more adjustment, better fit & finish, better OSD, better default color calibration, etc, but if none of that is worth $$$ to you then don't spend for it.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Quick question: I'm running a GTX 1070 with a 27" monitor, any foreseeable problems if I add a 32" as my main and use the 27 as a secondary? The setup is for general use/gaming/music production.

Recommendations for a suitable monitor would be great as well if that size is doable.

Resolution matters, so you need to tell us both resolutions we're talking about here. And also, why the desire for 32" vs another 27"? 27 is the current de facto size standard the way 24" was for many years, you can get other sizes but they cost more so you want to make sure you actually want to go that way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here using the XB273K 4K144 display from Acer? I'm wondering if that one's a decent option over the LG 27GN950/27GP950, since the Acer panel claims to do this fancy Quantum Dot stuff.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dumb question: in summer 2020 I bought two LG 27GL83A-Bs, and they look exactly the same and show up (for some reason) in my display settings as 27GL850's. I just received my third and final 27GL83A-B to complete the set, and instead of an LG logo, it has some red flame for a logo on the rear, and in the display settings it comes through as LG ULTRAGEAR and has a refresh rate of 143.973hz, while the other two show 144.000hz. Otherwise, the stand appear to be the same and the only difference i see between it and the other two is that in the monitor settings the right side is called "Menu" while the other two the right option is called "settings", but they seem to lead to the same submenu.

anyways getting to my dumb question: when my computer turns the monitors off to save power, when i wake it up by shaking my mouse, any windows that were open on the new monitor (LG ULTRAGEAR) are moved to one of the other monitors. is this due to some issue with the cable? did i get what i paid for but they changed the packaging? do i have to gently caress with a setting in windows somewhere? is my GPU struggling to supply 3x 1440p 144hz monitors with enough bandwidth?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone here using the XB273K 4K144 display from Acer? I'm wondering if that one's a decent option over the LG 27GN950/27GP950, since the Acer panel claims to do this fancy Quantum Dot stuff.

Presuming you're talking about the XB273KGP AKA XB273K Gpbmiipprzx AKA one of many Predator XB3 models (gently caress Acer's naming conventions forever)l, QD is for wide gamut, and the LG monitors actually claim a wider color space than it and a higher max brightness. Also doesn't have HDMI 2.1 Seems likely to be strictly worse to me. That said, it apparently can be had right now and for significantly less than the LGs will be going for any time soon, so if it ticks the boxes for you, it seems like a good deal. Lacking reviews would put me off, but OTOH sometimes monitors in these new spaces sell out and then are hard to get for a long time.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Dumb question: in summer 2020 I bought two LG 27GL83A-Bs, and they look exactly the same and show up (for some reason) in my display settings as 27GL850's. I just received my third and final 27GL83A-B to complete the set, and instead of an LG logo, it has some red flame for a logo on the rear, and in the display settings it comes through as LG ULTRAGEAR and has a refresh rate of 143.973hz, while the other two show 144.000hz. Otherwise, the stand appear to be the same and the only difference i see between it and the other two is that in the monitor settings the right side is called "Menu" while the other two the right option is called "settings", but they seem to lead to the same submenu.

anyways getting to my dumb question: when my computer turns the monitors off to save power, when i wake it up by shaking my mouse, any windows that were open on the new monitor (LG ULTRAGEAR) are moved to one of the other monitors. is this due to some issue with the cable? did i get what i paid for but they changed the packaging? do i have to gently caress with a setting in windows somewhere? is my GPU struggling to supply 3x 1440p 144hz monitors with enough bandwidth?

What's happening is due to deep sleep, a heinous power saving feature that unfortunately can't be disabled on most monitors. If you can't turn it off on your newest monitor, you're probably hosed. It could be a revision change or it might not be, I don't know. It has nothing to do with your GPU, there's just an idiotic part of the DP and HDMI standards that calls for monitors to deep sleep and act like they're disconnected, which as far as windows is concerned means they are disconnected and windows need to be moved to other displays.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 17, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Presuming you're talking about the XB273KGP AKA XB273K Gpbmiipprzx AKA one of many Predator XB3 models (gently caress Acer's naming conventions forever)l, QD is for wide gamut, and the LG monitors actually claim a wider color space than it and a higher max brightness. Also doesn't have HDMI 2.1 Seems likely to be strictly worse to me. That said, it apparently can be had right now and for significantly less than the LGs will be going for any time soon, so if it ticks the boxes for you, it seems like a good deal. Lacking reviews would put me off, but OTOH sometimes monitors in these new spaces sell out and then are hard to get for a long time.
I guess I'm sitting it out to the 27GP950 then. I've read a bunch of reviews say that the Nano IPS stuff was supposed to be a bit inferior compared to QD, that's why I was asking.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

48" is totally small enough for a monitor right? Right? I'm probably going to do it. I've said so in the past but this time surely I mean it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Duck and Cover posted:

48" is totally small enough for a monitor right? Right? I'm probably going to do it. I've said so in the past but this time surely I mean it.
Of course it is, it all depends on how far you sit from it. I use a 55" OLED sometimes as my main monitor, mainly when I play games, but also sometimes I just use it to browse the web and it is awesome. I don't use it all the time though, for work and mostly browsing I still use an ultrawide. I wall mounted mine so it isn't sitting on a desk.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

K8.0 posted:

What's happening is due to deep sleep, a heinous power saving feature that unfortunately can't be disabled on most monitors. If you can't turn it off on your newest monitor, you're probably hosed. It could be a revision change or it might not be, I don't know. It has nothing to do with your GPU, there's just an idiotic part of the DP and HDMI standards that calls for monitors to deep sleep and act like they're disconnected, which as far as windows is concerned means they are disconnected and windows need to be moved to other displays.

Supposedly the next big update of Windows is actually going to include a workaround for this problem.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/

The Deep Sleep being mandatory on is probably a legal requirement to meet the idle power rules for energy efficiency, which i'd say is generally a good thing if not for it being annoying as hell when windows can't cope with it.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I just got a G-Sync 55" OLED and it is glorious.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Shipon posted:

Supposedly the next big update of Windows is actually going to include a workaround for this problem.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/

The Deep Sleep being mandatory on is probably a legal requirement to meet the idle power rules for energy efficiency, which i'd say is generally a good thing if not for it being annoying as hell when windows can't cope with it.
This behavior sucks so bad. I use my monitor through HDMI for work from my work laptop and my desktop switches to single monitor mode. Which is fine because I keep most stuff on my second monitor anyway. But then when I switch back to my desktop after I am done working literally everything from my second monitor goes to my main monitor. Nothing at all is on the second monitor.

I hope this fixes that behavior.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 17, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rusty posted:

Of course it is, it all depends on how far you sit from it. I use a 55" OLED sometimes as my main monitor, mainly when I play games, but also sometimes I just use it to browse the web and it is awesome. I don't use it all the time though, for work and mostly browsing I still use an ultrawide. I wall mounted mine so it isn't sitting on a desk.

Yeah but I can only move my desk so far from the wall where I plan to mount it, maybe I'll get a keyboard tray thingy. Anyway I've pretty much convinced myself already I'm just waiting for the new LGs to become available.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah but I can only move my desk so far from the wall where I plan to mount it, maybe I'll get a keyboard tray thingy. Anyway I've pretty much convinced myself already I'm just waiting for the new LGs to become available.

I mean, how far from the wall can you move it? My desk is only about 3 ft from the wall and the desk depth is another 2 ft. And that's fine for a 55".

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just measured mine and I am 5 feet from my 55". I think for 48" I could go 3 - 3.5 feet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Welp

Thanks for the info!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

XB273KGP AKA XB273K Gpbmiipprzx

/performs the heimlich maneuver

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rusty posted:

I just measured mine and I am 5 feet from my 55". I think for 48" I could go 3 - 3.5 feet.

The furthest edge of the desk can be at most 3' 4"ish from the wall. Well I mean I could move it more but it'd be blocking a closet I don't really use. I came to the conclusion when I measured this awhile a go that it might be bigger than I would ideally want, but not by too much. It makes me a smidge uneasy as I have a 27" now but I want dark blacks and don't want to spend like 3k for a more reasonably sized slower refresh monitor.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess I'm sitting it out to the 27GP950 then. I've read a bunch of reviews say that the Nano IPS stuff was supposed to be a bit inferior compared to QD, that's why I was asking.

If it helps you make a decision, I lurked the GP950 sale webpage until I managed to snag one myself. It's arriving this week and I can give you a very unscientific anecdote about how much I like it