Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

missing out on messages is just insane to me, they are one of the best weird features demon’s souls pioneered and every game in the series has added a new improvement to them like combining two messages and adding a gesture hologram to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The message systems reached their pinnacle in DS2 and declined sharply after, although the BB and DS3 holograms are nice

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

don't give up, skeleton!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Dark Souls games are about cooperating with other people, and I'll never understand people who play offline or don't summon for bosses. Coop is so much fun in those games! I guess it's just some sort of competitive gamer brain thing where you want to prove you can go it alone or whatever, but I just summoned for every fight I could and had a great time.

The fun of those games is that it's this hostile world that is unreasonably obscure and difficult to deal with, but you can overcome by teaming up with others. Whether that's direct in the form of summoning or indirect in the form of looking at messages or reading up on secrets that have been uncovered.

I dunno, play it the way you want, but it's so weird to me that there's this whole idea that the souls games are meant to experienced in the "pure" way, without help or knowing anything ahead of time. I spoiled myself rotten on every single one and loved them to pieces. I guess it's the difference between "I'm going to play this for fun, to explore the world" and "I'm going to take on this challenge".

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Having played all 3 dark souls games, I think you’d be robbing yourself of an experience offline. The messages, ghosts, blood splatters and co op are all pretty cool.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I never summon phantoms for my first playthrough because I want to be capable of handling everything myself and not feel like I got luckily carried by someone who might not be there for me next time. On all playthroughs after that it’s online party time

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What happened to Sony backing Shen mu 3

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They did, that's why it's not on the Xbox

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Summoning transforms the bosses from a learning experience to a complete joke where all you have to do is not die for 20 seconds as your summons completely delete them. I don't recommend it for new players at all. The messages on the other hand, are part of how you're supposed to commiserate/fight back against the ways the games grief you. If you're a serious masochist maybe playing without them is better, but for most people they're really going to improve the experience. The difference between the two is that co-op eliminates any need to understand the bosses, where messages help you understand the world around you better and perhaps present you with options you hadn't considered.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3sXM9ezME

First gameplay look at the next title from the Pathologic devs. Looks more "normal" than their other titles, but I can see a subversive undercurrent there. Also reminds me of Night in the Woods in that "go back to small town to meet nostalgic old friends" way.

(The Bachelor and Changeling routes are still coming, honest)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Subnautica: Below Zero is out https://store.steampowered.com/app/848450/Subnautica_Below_Zero/

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh I feel this. They can be immersion breaking and a huge part of why Dark Souls is so good is that atmosphere.

Yeah, other than getting invaded this is the reason why I'm not keen on the online components so much (and I'm just not into multiplayer in general, never have been). I've just played about two hours of Dark Souls 2, but left it online, and there are so many bloodstains and messages just absolutely everywhere, it's nuts. Just piles and piles, one on top of the other. Very much undecided whether I want to stay online for a bit longer, even as an experiment, or go offline, like how I played DS:R.

Game feels a little weird! In that it has - so far at least - a completely different vibe to the first. Maybe it's Majula's influence, that serenity. You feel like you're out in nature, or in the countryside. Compared to Undead Burg it's night and day. There also seems to be a little more music, and certainly more dialogue. So far I've mostly just faffed about in Forest of Fallen Giants but didn't get anything noteworthy accomplished. Dual-wielding daggers at the moment, which is kind of fun.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I will forever love summoning in Souls games because it led to one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, when I got summoned in DS2 to Earthen Peak and I helped the guy who summoned me to figure out how to light the windmill on fire to drain the poison water. It took a good 10 minutes of gesturing to communicate everything, between getting him to follow me away from the boss room, then figuring out how to tell him to light his torch, then pointing him where to use it, and finally celebrating and running ahead so I could Praise The Sun in the now-empty poison pool. The dude used the "prostrate yourself and bow down" gesture to thank me and then we went and absolutely clowned on Mytha.

His gesture made me imagine him bashing his head against Mytha over and over while the poison was still around and getting more and more frustrated, until finally I came along and told him the secret. I felt like a loving god. Every single time I've been ganked in Souls games was worth that moment.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Begemot posted:

The Dark Souls games are about cooperating with other people, and I'll never understand people who play offline or don't summon for bosses. Coop is so much fun in those games! I guess it's just some sort of competitive gamer brain thing where you want to prove you can go it alone or whatever, but I just summoned for every fight I could and had a great time.

The fun of those games is that it's this hostile world that is unreasonably obscure and difficult to deal with, but you can overcome by teaming up with others. Whether that's direct in the form of summoning or indirect in the form of looking at messages or reading up on secrets that have been uncovered.

I dunno, play it the way you want, but it's so weird to me that there's this whole idea that the souls games are meant to experienced in the "pure" way, without help or knowing anything ahead of time. I spoiled myself rotten on every single one and loved them to pieces. I guess it's the difference between "I'm going to play this for fun, to explore the world" and "I'm going to take on this challenge".

We're on the exact same wavelength. :hf: Everyone gets all uptight about co-op when it's fun as hell, especially in 2 where they specifically added so many amazing goofball NPC summons that act like actual players. Please give Sellsword Luet their due, dangit! And a lot of the actual difficulty is couched within boring mechanical bullshit anyway. I definitely think I've had more fun with the games thanks to knowing how a lot of fundamentals work in advance rather than fumbling around in the dark.

All that said, I could still do without all the """"clever"""" player messages about but holes and amazing chests. Those have never once been funny. Listen carefully, skeleton! is true art, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Summoning transforms the bosses from a learning experience to a complete joke where all you have to do is not die for 20 seconds as your summons completely delete them.

This really isn't true for quite a few bosses throughout the series, where the HP buff from summons can turn what is otherwise a fairly challenging boss into a nightmare because every time someone fucks up you're down half/a third/a quarter of your damage and the boss is still rocking 5x health or whatever.

My favorite use of this is the Ivory King fight in 2's DLC, where you can summon as many people as possible, summon all of the NPC knights and have a giant fuckoff chaos brawl that lasts forever. Sadly not really feasible now unless it's during the yearly event but definitely recommend if you can.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah, other than getting invaded this is the reason why I'm not keen on the online components so much (and I'm just not into multiplayer in general, never have been). I've just played about two hours of Dark Souls 2, but left it online, and there are so many bloodstains and messages just absolutely everywhere, it's nuts. Just piles and piles, one on top of the other.

Message ahead.

Worth noting that the big community event for DS2 happened not all that long ago, so there's probably a lot of remnants of that in Majula and the other early game areas. (One of the "rules" of the event was to leave a Don't give up, skeleton! at the Majula bonfire.) Once you get past the very start of the game you won't see very much message or bloodstain spam anymore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pirate Jet posted:

Dishonored 1 is worth a playthrough but suffers from an issue where the stealthy, non-lethal gameplay is an interminable bore. They take great lengths to fix this in 2, though, even if you choose to play as Corvo again.

I've actually played a bit of the first game - and I got bored from the stealthy non-lethal gameplay :v: At the time I resisted going lethal, because ????? hosed if I know, but it really bugged me to get spotted, so I'd quick-load a lot. So, yeah, all boring stealth.

Not as bothered by bricking stealth in games nowadays, I think, so maybe it'll work itself out this time with murder

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

John Murdoch posted:

Message ahead.

Worth noting that the big community event for DS2 happened not all that long ago, so there's probably a lot of remnants of that in Majula and the other early game areas. (One of the "rules" of the event was to leave a Don't give up, skeleton! at the Majula bonfire.) Once you get past the very start of the game you won't see very much message or bloodstain spam anymore.

Ah that might explain it. I hope you're right. I think there's enough positive sentiment towards the online components in this thread that I'm inclined to keep online for a bit longer despite my natural inclination to shun multiplayer in all its forms. I suppose, at worst, if I stay online for DS2 I will have had both experiences across the first two games and can make a more informed decision about which way I want to go for DS3.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I've actually played a bit of the first game - and I got bored from the stealthy non-lethal gameplay :v: At the time I resisted going lethal, because ????? hosed if I know, but it really bugged me to get spotted, so I'd quick-load a lot. So, yeah, all boring stealth.

Not as bothered by bricking stealth in games nowadays, I think, so maybe it'll work itself out this time with murder

Dishonored 1 is much more fun if you just kill enemies and don’t worry about it. in dishonored 2 they made low chaos a lot more balanced although it’s still a bit less fun.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Dishonored 1 is much more fun if you just kill enemies and don’t worry about it. in dishonored 2 they made low chaos a lot more balanced although it’s still a bit less fun.

I always played both games basically as "stealth right up until I get caught, then it's MURDER TIME" and I had a blast with them both. The only thing I generally tried to do is non-lethal the targets, just because it was harder and fun to knock out those extra steps for the most part.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

PowerBeard posted:

Not if you have to play Homefront: The Revolution. That game is a loving dire death march.

there are already mods that unlock TS and boot you straight into it. I haven’t played a single second of Homefront.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Glare Seethe posted:

Ah that might explain it. I hope you're right. I think there's enough positive sentiment towards the online components in this thread that I'm inclined to keep online for a bit longer despite my natural inclination to shun multiplayer in all its forms. I suppose, at worst, if I stay online for DS2 I will have had both experiences across the first two games and can make a more informed decision about which way I want to go for DS3.

I'd recommend online for ds2 just because there are so drat many random secret paths and illusory walls, even by souls standards. Plus it's the only game in the series to have bloodpools instead of just bloodstains, and they're frequently hilarious

Orv
May 4, 2011
Triggering a blood pool and watching twenty people get owned simultaneously is so good.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hell, I think the online stuff adds to the weird atmosphere of these games rather than detracts from it. You even have NPCs talking about it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does anyone have that dev interview with the dark souls guy who said he wanted the DS experience to be a sort of transitory social thing? Similar to people forming momentary bonds on the subway as they all acknowledge the barbecue shrimp homeless man blocking one of the doors and they just wanna go home

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Walking into a hallway and seeing 200 bloodstains at the end so you go mad with paranoia is v. good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

buglord posted:

Does anyone have that dev interview with the dark souls guy who said he wanted the DS experience to be a sort of transitory social thing? Similar to people forming momentary bonds on the subway as they all acknowledge the barbecue shrimp homeless man blocking one of the doors and they just wanna go home

Excuse me they're called strand games now, gosh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Orv posted:

Excuse me they're called strand games now, gosh.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1393285233395503106

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I keep seeing the reviews of the Mass Effect Legendary Edition saying that mods do everything that it does but better, including the QOL fixes. Do these mods actually exist or is this hyperbole?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I keep seeing the reviews of the Mass Effect Legendary Edition saying that mods do everything that it does but better, including the QOL fixes. Do these mods actually exist or is this hyperbole?

Probably a little of A little of B.

Who wants to deal with mods though? Like at a certain point I just want it download the game and play it not spend 4 hours carefully curating mods.

Did the first ME really even support mods in the traditional sense? I don’t remember that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember downloading some texture mods for it a long time ago but I doubt that any mod exists that can get rid of the "clunkiness" and/or "stiffness" of ME1. Does the remaster even accomplish this? Hard to tell from videos

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mass Effect mods were pretty limited because of the access people had to the original games so that's almost certainly not true in full. The remasters have pretty bad PC support in terms of settings options but otherwise they're pretty easily the best way to play the games again, especially 1.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

ME2/3 yes because the remaster doesn't change much with them (but as such it should also be easy enough for those to be ported over eventually). ME1 the remaster is absolutely way better than playing with mods.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I think I've been invaded twice outside of PvP areas in hundreds of hours playing DS2 over the last four or so years. Also your specific fear of getting ganked during a boss doesn't happen: you can't be invaded while fighting a boss, nor can you fight a boss while you're being invaded! (I think, others can correct me if that's off) Someone mentioned it, but you will get invaded a lot by NPCs, they added a bunch of them in Scholar. I don't think you get to turn those ones off, online or not. The piles of messages will decrease the further you venture from Majula, don't worry.

don't give up, skeleton

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They added full controller support for all the games on the PC version right?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

StarkRavingMad posted:

I always played both games basically as "stealth right up until I get caught, then it's MURDER TIME" and I had a blast with them both. The only thing I generally tried to do is non-lethal the targets, just because it was harder and fun to knock out those extra steps for the most part.

Yeah bungling stealth ninja that leaves dozens of eviscerated corpse in their wake is the best way to play the game.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/deckbuild-battle

1$
Thea: the Awakening

BTA (Currently 10$)
Cultist Simulator
Steamworld Quest: The Hand of Gilgamesh

12$
Thea 2: The Shattering
Fantasy General 2
Imperator: Rome
Neoverse

Are Thea 2 or Fantasy General 2 any good? I'd mostly be buying it for those and maybe the Steamworld title. Neoverse looks terrible and I have Imperator, Cultist Sim, and Thea 1.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

That’s a good price. I really need to pick this up again. I got distracted by something about 6 hours in and haven’t played in months.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Anyone grab it yet? I played a ton of the first one in early access and burnt out before release so I've never finished the story. I don't think I'd be interested in "more of the same", but it would be cool to go into a Subnautica game blind with a few improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BrianRx posted:

Anyone grab it yet? I played a ton of the first one in early access and burnt out before release so I've never finished the story. I don't think I'd be interested in "more of the same", but it would be cool to go into a Subnautica game blind with a few improvements.

I just started, playing blind because I managed to avoid pretty much anything about this game once I heard it was in EA. Seems like it is definitely going to be more of the same but it's a new area, new flora/fauna, different story, probably different tech? I actually don't know for sure but I'm only to the point where I have a Sea Glider and have been doing a lot of busting rocks for titanium/copper but the new setting is enough to make it feel fresh.