Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

George H.W. oval office posted:

So nothing going to happen to Gaetz p much?

We know literally nothing of what Greenberg told the investigators. We know about the deal, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Ah so it's like one of those things where your grandma clicks a link and is infected, and as she has your email address in her contacts list, it fires off one to you from "grandma"?

Normally I'd assume this is Goon Sarcasm™ but it's fuckin 2021 so uh... are you serious?
this was how ransomware originated. it just targeted random individuals for like thousands of dollars. but yeah apparently these groups are now targeting larger companies for it. according to what the hacker group stated, they purposely targeted this company not for infrastructure attack but because they had money.

I actually went to look up the reporting about Colonial Pipeline hack:

quote:

On Saturday, as the F.B.I., the Energy Department and the White House delved into the details, Colonial Pipeline acknowledged that its corporate computer networks had been hit by a ransomware attack, in which criminal groups hold data hostage until the victim pays a ransom. The company said it had shut the pipeline itself, a precautionary act, apparently for fear that the hackers might have obtained information that would enable them to attack susceptible parts of the pipeline.

Their story is: They basically got hacked, and the hacker group threatened to release the data they acquired from their network unless Colonial Pipeline paid them money and out of worry that the data could contain info that could attack the pipeline itself... they shut down the pipeline.

Not sure why they would do that if the pipe itself was unaffected.none of this really adds up to me. Generally speaking these hacker groups abide by the negotiation terms when these companies pay the ransom. Generally speaking its bad business to renege on your promise when your promise is the thing that gets you your ransom money. Ethics in hacking and all that. So it makes no sense that Colonial Pipeline would just shut down their money maker unless it was directly attacked.

I'm suspicious of the reporting on this, either the reporters don't understand whats going on or the company didn't acknowledge that their controls to the pipeline were also compromised.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Remember when Tump said he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose votes? It was the one instance when he was absolutely right. None of these people will face consequences and I'm kind of loving sick of the morons tweeting their "oh now they'll get what's coming to them!" nonsense. If you think they're going to cuff a former president you're profoundly naive.

I'd love to be wrong, mind.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

can someone post a bunch of the ben garrison CUM!! edits? a friend just discovered his comics

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

hazardousmouse posted:

Lol the phishing email the dumbass clicked was literally a big titty football babe with a link that said click here to see more!

Can you forward it to me? For research? I promise I'll try really hard not to click on it

No, I don't think that's what that means at all. Gaetz isn't specifically mentioned because this is his plea for his trial and has nothing to do with Gaetz's. It's actually very bad for him because those those "other adult men" almost definitely include the Congressman from Florida and despite not being named in the plea they have been named elsewhere.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Normally I'd assume this is Goon Sarcasm™ but it's fuckin 2021 so uh... are you serious?

Y'know, I'm pretty sure I read it in this thread. So probably best to take it with a grain of salt the size of an Ishgardian salt lick.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Play posted:

No, I don't think that's what that means at all. Gaetz isn't specifically mentioned because this is his plea for his trial and has nothing to do with Gaetz's. It's actually very bad for him because those those "other adult men" almost definitely include the Congressman from Florida and despite not being named in the plea they have been named elsewhere.

Do you really think something is going to happen lol

Dems are as dumb as Q supporters waiting for Hillary to get arrested.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

this was how ransomware originated. it just targeted random individuals for like thousands of dollars. but yeah apparently these groups are now targeting larger companies for it. according to what the hacker group stated, they purposely targeted this company not for infrastructure attack but because they had money.

I actually went to look up the reporting about Colonial Pipeline hack:

Their story is: They basically got hacked, and the hacker group threatened to release the data they acquired from their network unless Colonial Pipeline paid them money and out of worry that the data could contain info that could attack the pipeline itself... they shut down the pipeline.

Not sure why they would do that if the pipe itself was unaffected.none of this really adds up to me. Generally speaking these hacker groups abide by the negotiation terms when these companies pay the ransom. Generally speaking its bad business to renege on your promise when your promise is the thing that gets you your ransom money. Ethics in hacking and all that. So it makes no sense that Colonial Pipeline would just shut down their money maker unless it was directly attacked.

I'm suspicious of the reporting on this, either the reporters don't understand whats going on or the company didn't acknowledge that their controls to the pipeline were also compromised.

Could the pipeline being shut down be related to them shutting down computers and networks to try and make sure that the hackers didn't still have access and/or couldn't get more information or even control?

Besides which, if you can access private company information you can probably do other things directly related to the pipeline's operation. So they may have needed to shut it down so that something really bad didn't happen.

boop the snoot posted:

Do you really think something is going to happen lol

Dems are as dumb as Q supporters waiting for Hillary to get arrested.

I was explaining why that didn't mean what he thought it meant, that's it. You're always crying about this poo poo, this is the second time I'm having to explain this to you. People should be able to discuss legal aspects of what's going on without you kramering in to whine about how nothing matters

Play fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 14, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
MTG calling anyone else “crazy eyes” is pretty loving :ironicat: if you ask me

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Someone's gotta Kramer, might as well be boop

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The thing I saw said the billing department had gotten hit, so since they had no way of telling how much to charge customers, they panicked and shut everything down.

However, I mean, if one part of your network is compromised, probably a good idea to shut it all down and do a through audit.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
They also paid the ransom but yeah, theres no telling the level of infiltration for a while

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Man suspected of entering Pelosi’s office during U.S. Capitol riot arrested in Denver
Hunter Palm, released from custody Wednesday, faces four federal charges

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2021/05/14/hunter-palm-colorado-us-capitol-arrest/

A man who allegedly entered U.S. Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office illegally during the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol was arrested Wednesday in Denver by the FBI, court records show.

Hunter Palm was identified to federal investigators by a family member, according to court records. Court documents don’t state where Palm lives, but paperwork related to his bond show he is required to report to a probation office in Colorado Springs and is restricted from leaving the state of Colorado while on bond.

In a Feb. 6 interview with federal investigators, Palm admitted to entering the Capitol on Jan. 6 and gave his phone and a flash drive of videos from that day to agents, according to his arrest affidavit. He also gave investigators the clothes he wore that day, including a flag with the words “TRUMP” and “Keep America Great.”

Palm told investigators he was pushed into the Capitol, but surveillance video from the Capitol shows him walking in freely, the affidavit states.

The videos Palm turned over show him shouting “Stop the Steal!” The videos also show Palm enter the conference room in Pelosi’s office while others in the crowd shout they are going to kill the speaker, according to the affidavit. While walking around the conference room, Palm asked the crowd whether anyone was good at hacking as there was an open laptop on the conference room table, the affidavit said.

He then sat down at the head of the conference table and put his feet up on it, according to his arrest warrant.

The FBI identified Palm after a person identifying themselves as a family member wrote a letter to investigators. The family member told the FBI that Palm had called from Washington on Jan. 6 and said he entered the Capitol.

Palm is suspected of four crimes: obstruction of Congress, knowingly entering or remaining in a restricted building without lawful authority, engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.

He appeared Wednesday in federal court in Denver and was released from custody on a personal recognizance bond, court records show.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chuds getting turned in by family members/friends who despise them is one of the best things to come out of all of this. It's just so delicious and well-deserved

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/TheRightCant/status/1393277497823924230

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

can someone post a bunch of the ben garrison CUM!! edits? a friend just discovered his comics

PLEASE

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Bronze Fonz posted:

We know literally nothing of what Greenberg told the investigators. We know about the deal, that's it.

Though we can start making pretty educated guesses.

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1393276476607320068

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

LMAO

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/macfarlanenews/status/1393265126640398348?s=21

Gaetz tugging his collar hard

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I would literally rather look at Kirk Johnson (pbuh)'s gaping distended rear end in a top hat than Rudy's face

Given the choice I'd rather look at neither but the goatman does less to turn my stomach

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I feel like we're just now privy to the poo poo that the investigators already knew, ya know back when we first heard about this case. They wouldn't have even gone forward on a sitting member of Congress unless the case was basically airtight and they had him dead to rights.

Gaetz is totally hosed LOL!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I'm edging for Gaetz

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Okay I will give credit for "Black Lives Matterhorn," but the rest is just kinda lazy, 3/10

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Play posted:

Could the pipeline being shut down be related to them shutting down computers and networks to try and make sure that the hackers didn't still have access and/or couldn't get more information or even control?

Besides which, if you can access private company information you can probably do other things directly related to the pipeline's operation. So they may have needed to shut it down so that something really bad didn't happen.

I was explaining why that didn't mean what he thought it meant, that's it. You're always crying about this poo poo, this is the second time I'm having to explain this to you. People should be able to discuss legal aspects of what's going on without you kramering in to whine about how nothing matters

it seemed like the hackers already accessed their network, which is how they got their data. i'm not going to say i'm some expert on how this company operates their computer network but my guess is if the hackers could access their network, they probably have access to the controls for the pipeline.

hard to prove without logs and stuff but my guess is they were hacked, their data was deleted and threatened with release, but also the hackers shut down the actual pipeline.

these ransomware groups generally keep their promise of not releasing the data they've stolen. so why would you shut down the pipeline for cautionary reasons? especially when the pipeline is generating a lot of money. funny also how the pipeline came right back up after they paid the ransom. guess they trusted that the hackers would keep their word once they paid the ransom? oh but then why would they need to shut down the pipeline if they believe the hackers wouldn't leak their data....? curious.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Strong Sauce posted:

it seemed like the hackers already accessed their network, which is how they got their data. i'm not going to say i'm some expert on how this company operates their computer network but my guess is if the hackers could access their network, they probably have access to the controls for the pipeline.

hard to prove without logs and stuff but my guess is they were hacked, their data was deleted and threatened with release, but also the hackers shut down the actual pipeline.

these ransomware groups generally keep their promise of not releasing the data they've stolen. so why would you shut down the pipeline for cautionary reasons? especially when the pipeline is generating a lot of money. funny also how the pipeline came right back up after they paid the ransom. guess they trusted that the hackers would keep their word once they paid the ransom? oh but then why would they need to shut down the pipeline if they believe the hackers wouldn't leak their data....? curious.

Easy. Without the network and sensors and everything operating, they don't know how much went to who, and thus wouldnt know how much to charge.

Cant be giving away free gas!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1393287690888568835

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1393254749428977673?s=19

quote:

Intercessors for America, an “army of prayer warriors” that aggressively promoted former President Donald Trump, is urging conservative Christians to rally around Florida’s Trumpist Gov. Ron DeSantis.

In an email sent Thursday to subscribers of the “prophetic” Elijah List, IFA’s Dave Kubal urges readers to sign a “prayer card” for DeSantis. Kubal says claims that IFA will hand-deliver the cards when they reach their goal of 100,000 prayers.

The prayer card reads: “Together as the body of Christ in America, we lift up Governor DeSantis. We stand in agreement with heaven’s purposes concerning our nation. We stand by this governor who has declared his state to be under God’s rule and authority and seeks righteousness and justice.”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I'm edging for Gaetz
Lol dude probably has printed PDFs of himself with minors, 2 backup hard drives (unencrypted) with backup sexts, and a publicly searchable Google Photo link of the yearbooks.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

??????????

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

It's simply not mentioned in the plea documents. He already named Gatez long ago

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Seems pretty good for Gaetz if the dude doesn't name names.

E: That's what I get for replying without going to the next page first.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 14, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It's simply not mentioned in the plea documents. He already named Gatez long ago

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lamech posted:

??????????

*2nd guy from the leftishly

hi....joker...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Seems pretty good for Gaetz if the dude doesn't name names.

He’s naming names, those names just aren’t part of the public record yet because this is an ongoing investigation.

If he didn’t name names, he wouldn’t be “cooperating.”

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1393290017187958785

They should put these things across from anywhere Trump lives.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

https://twitter.com/repbrendanboyle/status/1392999288456810498?s=21

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1393294655626915844

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1393290014981828614

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

im expecting Donald J Trump to be a stupid fat wet bitch

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Sapper posted:

Banks, yeah--one of my employees used to work for Swift (not the trucking company, the company that handles financial transactions for banks) before coming to the Dark Side, and they were very secure.

15 year pen tester here, who sold out and now works for a bank. This is *hilariously * incorrect, at least from the bank side. Their end might be tight, but as far as we’re concerned, Swift is basically an old hose that sticks directly out of a financial organisation, with the express purpose of siphoning money through it. And once it is out, it is out with no chance of recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is it okay for cats to eat mayonnaise