Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Loose outerwear with arm sleeves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A mumu but ankle length.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HIJK posted:

What do the books mean when they say "robes"? I always end up imagining wizards walking around in bath robes with their tshirts sticking out and sometimes the bathrobes have stars on them.

That mirror really tied the room together

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I always figured Wizard Robes were like Church Robes, but more colorful and with fewer embroidered Crucifixes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

amigolupus posted:

It's kind of funny how Harry's ability to talk to snakes became a complete non-entity after CoS. He could've had an army of snake spies that only he could understand, and probably found out what Draco was doing in HBP. Ron did more in DH by repeating what Harry hissed to open the Chamber and destroy the Horcrux with the Basilisk.

He can talk to snakes, but that honestly is kind of a crappy superpower. It's not like he can command them like Aquaman, they can just tell him to eat poo poo, why should they care? And even if he could command them, what use is it gonna be? It's not like they're gonna have combat applications, aside from the Basilisk that's solely loyal to the Heir of Slytherin there aren't a whole lot of impressive snakes in rural Scotland. As for spying, it's not like snakes are gonna be inconspicuous slithering around the halls of Hogwarts, the only reason the Basilisk could hide was its chamber being hooked up to the plumbing system. Besides, snakes are stupid, how are they gonna have the context necessary to describe what Draco's doing other than "he went in the room with the wooden box and waved a stick and did that weird crying thing humans do"?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Voldemort, meanwhile, wants to force everyone to wear Snuggies

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Speleothing posted:

A mumu but ankle length.

now it makes sense

RBA Starblade posted:

That mirror really tied the room together

a dimebag of floo powder just to get back to the crib
a pinch of dragons eye and a smidge of toadstool, one sip you're flying high just like paula abdul

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HIJK posted:

What do the books mean when they say "robes"? I always end up imagining wizards walking around in bath robes with their tshirts sticking out and sometimes the bathrobes have stars on them.

it's hoodies

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
gonna wear my new york giants hoody and say "yhat's my House"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

As a child I was really pissed off when they all started wearing muggle clothes in the third film. Muggle clothes are supposed to be weird and strange to the majority of wizardom!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The immediate image I have of Hermione in my head is Watson from PoA in her pink hoodie and jeans. It's a completely fine and normal outfit, but it just felt so out of place in the context of HP that it is burned into my brain.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alien autopsy-tier footage quality

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ccs posted:

As a child I was really pissed off when they all started wearing muggle clothes in the third film. Muggle clothes are supposed to be weird and strange to the majority of wizardom!

:same:

It was even a point that most Wizards wouldn't know how to dress up like Muggles if their lives depended on it. I don't remember, but did they even bother to change into robes for the Yule Ball in GoF?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

amigolupus posted:

:same:

It was even a point that most Wizards wouldn't know how to dress up like Muggles if their lives depended on it. I don't remember, but did they even bother to change into robes for the Yule Ball in GoF?

Kind of, but they treated the robe like a coat and had Harry and Ron take them off after one scene so they were just hanging out in normalish fancywear.

Which was a good choice because the design they went with was '5 year old finds dad's coat and wears it'

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 11, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ccs posted:

I think they realized that having everyone dress in house robes all the time is visually boring and also just impractical for filming.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

I think they realized that having everyone dress in house robes all the time is visually boring and also just impractical for filming.

Do they ever even do the classic house robes like from the video games, where they have the red/green/blue/yellow on the underside of their school cloak?

Zore posted:

Kind of, but they treated the robe like a coat and had Harry and Ron take them off after one scene so they were just hanging out in normalish fancywear.

Which was a good choice because the design they went with was '5 year old finds dad's coat and wears it'

I love the Durmstrang streltsy robes being modeled by that dude on the left

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 11, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HIJK posted:

Look up what students at Oxford and Cambridge have to wear for formal occasions (eg exams) in your actual real life 2021. Its that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Look up what students at Oxford and Cambridge have to wear for formal occasions (eg exams) in your actual real life 2021. Its that.

wow those look dumb af

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do they ever even do the classic house robes like from the video games, where they have the red/green/blue/yellow on the underside of their school cloak?

I love the Durmstrang streltsy robes being modeled by that dude on the left

I think that's Viktor Krum?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

wtf why is Britain

like if you told me this was a Harry Potter screengrab I'd believe you

that's literally Slughorn

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

british people be like

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

wtf why is Britain

like if you told me this was a Harry Potter screengrab I'd believe you

that's literally Slughorn

Am I the only person ITT who graduated from college? This is basic rear end stuff you'd see at any university in America.
The only difference is that the Professors only wear it at stuff like the graduation ceremony and don't wear it at like tests and stuff. Hell in America it's probably even more garish because instead of all wearing the same outfit every professor shows up in the robe of wherever they got their Doctorate, So they look like a rainbow of differently colored robes and non-matching frill styles up there on stage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

Am I the only person ITT who graduated from college? This is basic rear end stuff you'd see at any university in America.
The only difference is that the Professors only wear it at stuff like the graduation ceremony and don't wear it at like tests and stuff. Hell in America it's probably even more garish because instead of all wearing the same outfit every professor shows up in the robe of wherever they got their Doctorate, So they look like a rainbow of differently colored robes and non-matching frill styles up there on stage.

behold the uni uniform of my people (yes everyone who wears it is as awful as you imagine)

You get on the bus with a gang of fuckers in these, you know you'll have a bad time

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 12, 2021

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Yeah, you only need academic dress for graduation at most universities, and even at Oxbridge it’s only for matriculation, exams, and graduation. Most other times is casual wear.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Where is the smelting stick. where.

movies are crap 0/10

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I think even in the books the wizard robes are nowhere near as garish as a typical graduation gown. Though I wish they would have played it up more in the movies.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

halokiller posted:

I think even in the books the wizard robes are nowhere near as garish as a typical graduation gown. Though I wish they would have played it up more in the movies.

Lol I actually like these

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

halokiller posted:

:stare: Is that guy on the far right carrying a mace?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Yea you whack your students, colleagues and others with it. It's good training for later life.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Asterite34 posted:

Smelting stick located.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Asterite34 posted:

I'm to understand that having maces around is just more normal British stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQiYm9DPnyY

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Ottawa Parliament Hill shooting in 2014 was ended by the official bouncer whacking the shooter on the head with his ceremonial mace.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a mace.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ror posted:

british people be like

god damned ragtime roast beefy

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

halokiller posted:

Like I say they're based off Oxbridge undergraduate gowns which have been basically plain black since the literal middle ages. Its all these johnny come lately places coming up with Day Glo poo poo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ccs posted:

Lol I actually like these

That's because those are all Māori graduates who's program was specifically tailored towards Māori health, and they're wearing traditional cloaks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I was thinking about today was that it is kind of messed up that the students provide their own brooms for Quidditch. That kind of seems like something you would use standardized brooms for to avoid rich students having an unfair advantage.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Something I was thinking about today was that it is kind of messed up that the students provide their own brooms for Quidditch. That kind of seems like something you would use standardized brooms for to avoid rich students having an unfair advantage.

im not sure you understand britain

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The richest house team gets a full set of Nimbus 2001s, not nearly as good as Harry's badass broom (also his former broom was purchased by his professor/coach so who is the real pay-to-win team)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The richest house team gets a full set of Nimbus 2001s, not nearly as good as Harry's badass broom (also his former broom was purchased by his professor/coach so who is the real pay-to-win team)

Tbf they have the broom advantage for like two years since Harry doesn't get the Firebolt until 4th year and its an upgrade over the Nimbus 2000 he had before that.

Griffindor is the only house that caught on to the fact that the Seeker is the only position that actually matters since the rest of the teams ride poo poo brooms but they still win every match they have Harry fly in (or Ginny does using his broom when he gets banned from playing).